Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Does Convenient Horses still add that stupid "Whistle, whistle or whistle?" dialogue option to every single NPC or did the author have the good sense to remove it?

Still there, last I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Emong posted:

Still there, last I checked.

What a hell of a way to ruin a perfectly good mod. Are there any other good horse mods?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

What a hell of a way to ruin a perfectly good mod. Are there any other good horse mods?

The author listed a set of console commands that let you skip that bit on the mod's description.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Also, the quest doesn't take that long to do. Run around any city doing the dialogue will let you finish in around 5 minutes.

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Ever since the last patch I've noticed that NPC speech is intermittently desynchronizing with mouth animations. Is there a fix for this?

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
There is currently no fix for that

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

damnfan posted:

There is currently no fix for that

And possibly never until a modder does it because Bethesda said gently caress off to doing anything more with Skyrim.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
I've been noticing NPC voices cutting out randomly for very short periods of time every so often. Only just enough so that conversations sound odd and I wouldn't know what they were saying if I didn't have subtitles on. Is that caused by Sounds of Skyrim, Skyrim itself, or my computer?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The voice thing is a Skyrim bug. It started with patch 1.9 and there's no current fix for it.

With that out of the way, have some more armor retextures from Cabal120 (aMidianBorn series)

This retexture looks so clean, and that shield... :swoon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95oGIKxVv5g

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Cathair posted:

It's pretty much the only thing out there advertising significant performance differences that isn't snake oil. Your mileage will vary depending on what kind of system you have for it to work with, but it does what the author says it does. Judging by the responses in the last thread, it's a complete game-changer for those who have decent-to-good rigs and are running a lot of mods and high-res textures.

Do you think I'd be a good candidate for this? I'm trying to start another playthrough, this time adding a ton more mods than I had before, but I've been disappointed in my framerate so far. I'm using a GTX 570, an Intel i5 3570k CPU, and 8 GB RAM. I'm trying to play in 1920x1080, with the only big visual mods being the official hi-res DLC, W.A.T.E.R., and Climates of Tamriel. I'm up to about 200 mods now after my latest modding binge, but most of those are mods that change small aspects of gameplay, add some new items, or stuff like Immersive Patrols and Interesting NPCs. Despite what seems like a light visual load, I'm getting a lot of stuttering even without a lot of NPCs present or anything like that.

I ask because as much as I love gaming, I'm terrible with the tech side of things. Ultimately, my priority is to add more stuff this time around, like more quests and NPCs, and maybe a few gameplay mods like Better Vampires or ASIS. My understanding is that things like this should depend more on the CPU, and mine is good. I'd certainly like to give some enhanced visuals a try, but if I have to choose, I'm more willing to sacrifice graphics for gameplay than the other way around. I'd appreciate some help. Even some general advice on what my system should be able to handle would be helpful, because I'm not very good at judging that.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012

Praetorian Mage posted:

Do you think I'd be a good candidate for this? I'm trying to start another playthrough, this time adding a ton more mods than I had before, but I've been disappointed in my framerate so far. I'm using a GTX 570, an Intel i5 3570k CPU, and 8 GB RAM. I'm trying to play in 1920x1080, with the only big visual mods being the official hi-res DLC, W.A.T.E.R., and Climates of Tamriel. I'm up to about 200 mods now after my latest modding binge, but most of those are mods that change small aspects of gameplay, add some new items, or stuff like Immersive Patrols and Interesting NPCs. Despite what seems like a light visual load, I'm getting a lot of stuttering even without a lot of NPCs present or anything like that.

I ask because as much as I love gaming, I'm terrible with the tech side of things. Ultimately, my priority is to add more stuff this time around, like more quests and NPCs, and maybe a few gameplay mods like Better Vampires or ASIS. My understanding is that things like this should depend more on the CPU, and mine is good. I'd certainly like to give some enhanced visuals a try, but if I have to choose, I'm more willing to sacrifice graphics for gameplay than the other way around. I'd appreciate some help. Even some general advice on what my system should be able to handle would be helpful, because I'm not very good at judging that.

I'd say you are. What the CTD patch and boost does it move some of that work to your GPU, giving your CPU more leg room. It helped my computer run the game better.

futile
May 18, 2009
Frostfall 2.5 is out. Big changes are a bunch of survival spells added and meters showing your exposure/wetness/surrounding temperature. Been waiting on those meters forever.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

futile posted:

Frostfall 2.5 is out. Big changes are a bunch of survival spells added and meters showing your exposure/wetness/surrounding temperature. Been waiting on those meters forever.

Yep. Get this update, right now. I mean it. No the exposure spells won't break with SPERG. The meters are massively configurable and can be moved anywhere on screen, and can be set to only show up when you press the weathersense key (I'm doing this).

Everything about this update owns.

RennZero
Oct 10, 2007

"Get in."
Frostfall looks awesome. Are there any common compatibility issues to watch out for? For instance, does it work with Climates of Tamriel?

deathrat
May 25, 2010

RennZero posted:

Frostfall looks awesome. Are there any common compatibility issues to watch out for? For instance, does it work with Climates of Tamriel?

Yes it does. It's pretty well thought out in terms of compatibility. There's a list of mods compatible/not compatible with it here.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

I'm having a weird issue with a self made mod:

When I first load up my game, it usually works just fine (I walk into the "dungeon" I made and face a room full of enemies), but when I load it up again the enemies in the dungeon are all much weaker (from hard difficulty to easy). When loading a third time, the dungeon will just be empty. It's almost like the mod goes back to previous saves of itself. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

This is the only real horse mod worth a drat, to be honest. If you can't ignore the whistle dialog options just spend a couple of minutes whistling at everyone you come across and after eight or ten people it goes away and you get the ability to whistle for your horse.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Though you're still stuck doing dumb wacky hilarious whistles to call your horse.

Buy a horse horn from a stable, it sounds much better and teleports your horse straight to you.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Enhanced Distant Terrain 2 just updated and removed Dragonborn support for some reason. Any alternatives?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Mzbundifund posted:

They are more powerful, but Destruction is by far the weakest school of magic and also the worst offensive skill. The problem is it's so bad that many mods try to address it (SPERG, Apocalypse, etc.) and the compound effect can sometimes combine to overdo it. What difficulty setting are you playing on?

The basic one...the thing is I'm trying to play some kind of melee/wizard hybrid. The melee side looks ok to me, it's just the magical part that looks overpowered. I guess I'll just stick with the regular, SPERG enhanced, destruction spells, while using the new alteration/illusion spells from Apocalypse.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lazerbeam posted:

I'm having a weird issue with a self made mod:
When I first load up my game, it usually works just fine (I walk into the "dungeon" I made and face a room full of enemies), but when I load it up again the enemies in the dungeon are all much weaker (from hard difficulty to easy). When loading a third time, the dungeon will just be empty. It's almost like the mod goes back to previous saves of itself. Any ideas on how to fix this?
I don't really understand what the problem you're describing is. Could you upload the mod along with instructions on how to reproduce the issue?

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Where would you like me to upload it too?

Sorry if that was a poor description, how's this:

1) I start the game and load my save file, the dungeon works at this point usually.
2) I then load my save file again (as in the exact same save file as before) and for some reason the dungeon has weaker enemies.
3) After loading the save again, the dungeon is suddenly empty.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lazerbeam posted:

Where would you like me to upload it too?
1) I start the game and load my save file, the dungeon works at this point usually.
2) I then load my save file again (as in the exact same save file as before) and for some reason the dungeon has weaker enemies.
Upload it on dropbox or depositfiles, something like that.
And that is weird. That save you load, is it inside the dungeon?

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

No it's saved not far away, in Riverwood

The mod:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wy10i8m4z06jujk/thePitt.esp

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

No Poison Dialogues

About loving time.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
I can't do it, I can't stand the nexus and putting together my own mod pack. Honestly some goon just needs to make a modpack for us lazy effortless people to play that don't want to deal with the nexus and gategate.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I'm new to whole ENB graphics enhancement thing. Everybody seems to have their own idea of what looks the best or more "realistic".

Does anyone have any recommendations on this. I'm currently using Realistic Lighting Overhaul which doesn't use ENB, but I am interested in seeing how something else might look.

Readme posted:

I don't want to use SKSE.
Cry me a river.
:smuggo:

I'm reminded of my Oblivion days and seeing people who didn't want to use OBSE for some reason. :rolleyes:

Inverness fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 8, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Inverness posted:

I'm reminded of my Oblivion days and seeing people who didn't want to use OBSE for some reason. :rolleyes:
Time to link my favorite anti-SKSE rant again. Some people are just really, really dumb. For extra fun: check the "update" at the bottom. The SKSE download has always included a readme file with basic instal instruction.

Lazerbeam posted:

Whelp, I've learned something new today. This is apparently caused by your enemies being temporary references without any link to a persistent reference.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93691649/thePitt_RaygCleanedPersist.esp
I've flagged the actor references themselves as persistent and that seemed to have fixed to the issue. Persistent reference are never unloaded and continually stick around in the game's runtime. It's better modding practice to place persistent markers for your enemies, and then link the enemy-references to that marker. Check out how vanilla enemies are placed to see what I mean.
I've also cleaned the plugin as it contained a number of dirty edits. The CK has the annoying habit of flagging something you may have just looked at as "editted". You always want to check your plugins with TES5Edit to see if it needs cleaning.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 8, 2013

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Is there a mod or console command to mute followers? I'm using the chick from the Sorcery mod but god help you if you're in a dungeon, she just keeps saying her line over and over.

Akalies
May 31, 2000

Inverness posted:

I'm new to whole ENB graphics enhancement thing. Everybody seems to have their own idea of what looks the best or more "realistic".

Does anyone have any recommendations on this. I'm currently using Realistic Lighting Overhaul which doesn't use ENB, but I am interested in seeing how something else might look.

It's really just what's acceptable to you. As mentioned in the OP The Wilds is a great preset (and fairly fast) I like SkyRealism's oppressive-darkness, and Phinix ENB has a lot of 'Vanilla' in it.

That I said I personally gave up on ENB presets as they all have an awful haze in pitch-black areas, and the performance drop simply wasn't worth it. I now just use ENB for the various fixes (ram, shadows, parallax) and throw SweetFX with this preset on top of it. Couldn't be happier.

quote:

I remember release Morrowind, and trying to mod that. The vanilla game was more buggy than my Skyrim install with 100+ mods, and it would have blown these people's minds. Look in the wrong direction? CTD. Entered a room at a wrong angle? Fall through the floor. No NMM, MO, or anything like that either. Modding involved throwing random files into your Morrowind directory, using the terrible Morrowind launcher, and praying that the sick Lavos house you just spent an hour trying to download didn't make you bluescreen.

And we loved it. :corsair:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Raygereio posted:

Time to link my favorite anti-SKSE rant again. Some people are just really, really dumb. For extra fun: check the "update" at the bottom. The SKSE download has always included a readme file with basic instal instruction.

I love how much bile he throws at Hothtrooper44 for not making Immersive Armors a Workshop download, even though it's not even Hoth's fault.

Saliciouscrumb
Jan 15, 2002
I installed the official high res dlc through steam, but I see mentions of it everywhere regarding which load order it should have in mod managers. What's up with that? Is it installed through Steam or through mod managers?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Skyl3lazer posted:

Is there a mod or console command to mute followers? I'm using the chick from the Sorcery mod but god help you if you're in a dungeon, she just keeps saying her line over and over.

Mjoll could use this too.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
Okay, two more questions about ENBoost. These might be obvious, but I've never dealt with ENB stuff before and the broken English in the descriptions isn't helping matters.

First, I tried to download the files from enbdev.com, and now Avira is telling me it's blocking access to it. Do I need to be worried about this? I really hate having to use someone's download manager just to get a file, but I can put up with it if it's safe.

I also don't want to actually use any ENB visuals, just ENBoost. Installing the binaries from the site won't actually change anything, right?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Saliciouscrumb posted:

I installed the official high res dlc through steam, but I see mentions of it everywhere regarding which load order it should have in mod managers. What's up with that? Is it installed through Steam or through mod managers?
Loadorder (the order in which the game loads its plugins) is something you have to deal with when using mods. Doesn't matter where you got the mods from.

You can use third party tools such as BOSS or the various mod managers to set your loadorder. You can also do this in the Skyrim Launcher: Boot the Launcher and look under "Data Files".
The Launcher's interface works well enough when you have a few mods. But when you use more then a few, I really recommend getting one of the mod managers.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

For Frostfall, how important are the cloaks and the cloak mods it recommends (Cloaks of Skyrim, Winter Is Coming)?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

hobbesmaster posted:

Mjoll could use this too.

And the dude from Dragonborn, name escapes me but he's a spellsword in Chitin Armor. No I don't need to hear about how your last employer died because he charged into a Bandit Fort all by himself seconds after we just cleared out a Bandit fort all by ourselves.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
No one needs muting more than Serana. She needs to be bound, gagged and thrown over the back of my horse so I can keep her from saying and doing inappropriate things during conversations and events with other people. I can understand why Harkon locked her away all those years.

Her dialogue chatter instructions must look something like: Sunny->Bitch about sun, ask to go in cave; Cave->Bitch about being in cave; Overcast/raining->Bitch about Skyrim weather.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Gilg posted:

For Frostfall, how important are the cloaks and the cloak mods it recommends (Cloaks of Skyrim, Winter Is Coming)?

Not required. The mod itself comes with a few flavors of cloaks you can whip up for yourself in the Survival Skills crafting menu, but even they aren't that essential for survival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Raygereio posted:

Whelp, I've learned something new today. This is apparently caused by your enemies being temporary references without any link to a persistent reference.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93691649/thePitt_RaygCleanedPersist.esp
I've flagged the actor references themselves as persistent and that seemed to have fixed to the issue. Persistent reference are never unloaded and continually stick around in the game's runtime. It's better modding practice to place persistent markers for your enemies, and then link the enemy-references to that marker. Check out how vanilla enemies are placed to see what I mean.
I've also cleaned the plugin as it contained a number of dirty edits. The CK has the annoying habit of flagging something you may have just looked at as "editted". You always want to check your plugins with TES5Edit to see if it needs cleaning.

Thank you so much! :D

• Locked thread