Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
Yeah I'm sort of transitioning to circs for everything now that I've gotten the hang of magic loop. I do still really like DPNs for small stuff like socks/gloves though, but that might be because I only have DPNs in that size anyway.

And for what it's worth, I'm using some Knitter's Pride Dreamz circs for the blanket I'm working on, and I love them. They're just as comfortable in my hands as any of my bamboo needles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I bought my first set of circulars today! Clover bamboo ones, cause I like their straight needles. Decided to attempt a hat with the berroco tweed yarn I have laying around. I'm only a few rows in, but I have to say I like working on circular needles. Plus I don't need those little nipples so the work doesn't fall off when I'm not knitting.

mcknitknot
Sep 3, 2013

Ask me how Chick-fil-A is a
four star restaurant
:getin:
The pressure is on and I need help! My nephew has requested that I knit him some gloves. This kid has a lot of specifics! I must say I regret ever volunteering for the task. This child with his bright eyes and excitement has guilted me down to a puddle of shame! He has certain specifications though;

1) they must be cool
2) they must have individual fingers
3) the fingers should only come up halfway
4) they need to have a flap that will pull over the fingers
5) they need a pocket on each palm to put his cool kid stuff

I cannot find a pattern anywhere! At least not in his size (he's 6)
Anybody got any bright ideas?

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
Have you tried searching for "podster" on Ravelry? The Podster pattern would fit your bill, even if they don't have a pocket on the palm (but a pocket should be an easy enough adjustment to that pattern).

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I finally finished the baby blanket! I can tell I really increased the tension as I knitted the project (and that I've been working with it too long as the end is sort of...floppy?), but for a first major project (and a baby's blanket) it will be fine. I still have some baby weight yarn left and the large (24 inch) circulars. Can I use these to make a hat? Or do I need a smaller set?

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

wtftastic posted:

I finally finished the baby blanket! I can tell I really increased the tension as I knitted the project (and that I've been working with it too long as the end is sort of...floppy?), but for a first major project (and a baby's blanket) it will be fine. I still have some baby weight yarn left and the large (24 inch) circulars. Can I use these to make a hat? Or do I need a smaller set?

Nope, you can totally make a hat. You can make just about anything on circulars, even tiny things like socks/mittens/etc. if you use magic loop. I really like knitfreedom.com for her videos. I just made her socks and they turned out awesome.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

mcknitknot posted:

The pressure is on and I need help! My nephew has requested that I knit him some gloves. This kid has a lot of specifics! I must say I regret ever volunteering for the task. This child with his bright eyes and excitement has guilted me down to a puddle of shame! He has certain specifications though;

1) they must be cool
2) they must have individual fingers
3) the fingers should only come up halfway
4) they need to have a flap that will pull over the fingers
5) they need a pocket on each palm to put his cool kid stuff

I cannot find a pattern anywhere! At least not in his size (he's 6)
Anybody got any bright ideas?
2, 3, 4 are all super easily modded. 5 is a doable mod but I think you'll want it on the backs of the hands.

The hard parts are making it "cool" and making it fit. I have no idea what size a six-year-old's hands are. If you can find any fingerless glove, regular glove, or even mitten pattern in the right size that has "cool" approval, come back and we'll fix the fingers and pocket.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
You may find 24" a little small for a hat, unless you use magic loop. Generally you'll want the length of your circs to be less than the circumference of your project to avoid discomfort or stretching out your project too much. You'll need either magic loop or DPNs for the crown decreases anyways.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Help me goons how do I magic loop :saddowns:

Seriously I looked it up and it's some kind of goddamn wizard thing with a circular needle? I have no idea how I am going to do this. :stare:

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Seriously I looked it up and it's some kind of goddamn wizard thing with a circular needle? I have no idea how I am going to do this. :stare:

Did you watch any YouTube videos? That's how I learned and I will never go back to DPNs.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I've always used 16" circulars to make hats. I once tried a 24" needle but I couldn't join in the round and still be able to knit- the stitches were so stretched out. If using magic loop I would say something bigger like a 32" up to a 47" would be better especially if you're newer to magic loop.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Magic loop is much easier than it looks. You may already be doing it in fact.

Basically when you're working with circs, if your work gets too small it gets stretched out on the connecting needles. The solution is just to pull the connecting part of the needle out between two stitches so that you can have room to work the next stitch.

Personally I think magic loop is an enormous pain in the butt because you're constantly pulling the darned connecting cable out at least once a round, if not every few stitches. I don't like using DPNs by any stretch of the imagination but I still find using them less hassle than trying to do magic loop. YMMV though.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Get a longer needle, like 36" or 40" and you don't have to worry about pulling the cable all the time. Just start with the cable pulled through the halfway point of your stitches and knit each half like it's a flat piece.

Even more fun is getting two circs involved, using one to knit each side!

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

I used this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdSpc0EZpnk to learn magic loop--it shows exactly the technique that Pucklynn is describing.

edit into this post so I'm not double-posting: I finished the first repeat of the first section of my blanket and I'm really happy with how it's coming so far!

suddenly cats fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 5, 2013

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
I really want to try circular knitting, but I knit left-handed and feel overwhelmed by having to reverse a bunch of directions for the time being. I think one of the subconscious reasons I prefer crochet is that I find it much easier to convert to left-handedness.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Zratha posted:

I really want to try circular knitting, but I knit left-handed and feel overwhelmed by having to reverse a bunch of directions for the time being. I think one of the subconscious reasons I prefer crochet is that I find it much easier to convert to left-handedness.

Knitting in the round is exactly the same as knitting on straights, only you never "turn" the work. Try it. Please just try it.

:negative: I'm VP of a college knitting club and we've had people who knit for YEARS and refuse to work on circulars because "they look too complicated". It's just working in one direction forever. It's even the original way that knitting was done.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Zratha posted:

When you say you knit left-handed, does that mean you're going left-to-right, or just holding the yarn in your left hand and knitting right-to-left?

(Not that it should matter--as was said above, it's literally just continuing your work instead of turning.)

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

GenericGirlName posted:

Knitting in the round is exactly the same as knitting on straights, only you never "turn" the work. Try it. Please just try it.

:negative: I'm VP of a college knitting club and we've had people who knit for YEARS and refuse to work on circulars because "they look too complicated". It's just working in one direction forever. It's even the original way that knitting was done.

Alright. Once I am done this poncho, I will give it a try and will report back.

suddenly cats posted:

When you say you knit left-handed, does that mean you're going left-to-right, or just holding the yarn in your left hand and knitting right-to-left?

(Not that it should matter--as was said above, it's literally just continuing your work instead of turning.)

I knit both continental style AND left handed, so it's like backwards backwards. I tried several times to learn English style, then I tried Continental, then I tried left handed English, and finally, here we are. It is the only way that I was ever able to really get it, but I am extremely left-handed.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Oh dang. That is extremely left-handed. Good luck with learning in the round whenever you decide to try taking it on!

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

GenericGirlName posted:

It's even the original way that knitting was done.

I know literally nothing about the history of knitting. Can you elaborate on this?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Here's a pretty cool Knitty article on the history of knitting Flat knitting wasn't found until later in knitting's history, all of the first knitted artifacts found were in the round, all stockinet (no purling yet!) and already included colorwork.

I don't have a concrete reason why things would be knit in the round first, but it makes sense logistically to make a number of stitches for a Thing, and then just keep going around and building that thing, instead of stopping and going back over and over to make a flat version of the thing that you need to sew up. Baskets and clay pots were also made 'in the round' so it makes sense to me to follow the same theory for knitting.

mcknitknot
Sep 3, 2013

Ask me how Chick-fil-A is a
four star restaurant
:getin:
Just an update on those "cool gloves" I looked up podsters on ravelry and that eventually led me to http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/play-with-me I'll post a pic when I'm done.

On regards to the coolness factor that all apparently revolved around the colors. Steel grey and jet black (for those that want to model the coolness of a six year old) are the epitome of cool. Or, if in a bind, red and black. Cuz that's like a ninja!

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Zratha posted:

I knit both continental style AND left handed, so it's like backwards backwards. I tried several times to learn English style, then I tried Continental, then I tried left handed English, and finally, here we are. It is the only way that I was ever able to really get it, but I am extremely left-handed.

I'm self-taught and ambidextrous so I usually don't turn my work ever - it took some learning about the "theory" of knitting I guess but understanding that a purl is just a knit from the other side helped a lot. I have no idea why that isn't the first thing everybody learns but whatever.

Veris
Jul 5, 2007

I finished knitting the shawl I'm making for my cousin's wedding and my friend modeled for it. Will block later.

Linked for huge.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I learned how to knit the wrong way. I was knittng continental but on the wrong side? I don't know how to describe it. I just know that when I did that I was always yarning over the wrong way and making every single stitch twisted. I didn't learn it the right way until I found a REALLY nice ribbed hat pattern and realized that when you twist a knit the purl looks hosed up. And then suddenly I understood twisted stitches. And understood that knits are the back of purls etc. so I learned how to knit on the "front" side so I could learn how to untwist so I could make nice reversible ribbing.

wodan22 posted:

I know literally nothing about the history of knitting. Can you elaborate on this?

That article that was linked below you is basically all I know. And also that when flat work was needed the project was worked in the round with a special ridge of stitches that could be cut along without ruining the work (until working flat was invented).

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

GenericGirlName posted:

That article that was linked below you is basically all I know. And also that when flat work was needed the project was worked in the round with a special ridge of stitches that could be cut along without ruining the work (until working flat was invented).

Ahh, steeking. I just finished an Icelandic style sweater with wool that I brought home from our honeymoon there, and all I have left to do are the cutting and finishing bits. I can't bring myself to do it. :ohdear: That's the way Icelandic sweaters are done, though, and it's a whole lot faster to knit a sweater in the round and cut it than it is to knit a row, then purl the next row.

I was shocked at how cheap wool was in iceland. I think the yarn for my sweater ended up costing me about $10. I visited a wool mill and bought a ton of yarn, then immediately regretted not buying more. Luckily they sell wool at the grocery stores there as well!

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I knit an Icelandic sweater with Jarbo's Icelandic wool, and I think it ended up costing me over 80 dollars. But it's the warmest thing I own, so it was definitely worth it.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

Veris posted:

I finished knitting the shawl I'm making for my cousin's wedding and my friend modeled for it. Will block later.

Linked for huge.

This is beautiful. I'm in the process of knitting my first lace shawl and I really hope it turns out half as nice as yours did. :)

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

fuzzy_logic posted:

I'm self-taught and ambidextrous so I usually don't turn my work ever - it took some learning about the "theory" of knitting I guess but understanding that a purl is just a knit from the other side helped a lot. I have no idea why that isn't the first thing everybody learns but whatever.

That's awesome, I wish I had that level of ambidexterity. The only thing I can do with my right hand is cut food.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Veris posted:

Linked for huge.

How long did this take you? I am finding out that knitting with daintier yarn makes progress seem a lot slower. My current project, it seems to me, is taking way longer than it should. And I'm only using fingering weight.

How do you lace people do it?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Very patiently, with lots of television and radio shows.

Triangular shawls don't feel like they take as long to me, but I'm also working on a square shawl at the same time, so my perception of 'fast knit' has been totally skewed since a row on the square is taking me about 30-45 minutes.

But yeah. A fingering triangular shawl usually takes me about the same length of time as a pair of patterned socks.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
I bought two skeins of Shibui Baby Alpaca DK while on vacation, both different colors. I saw a pattern I'd like to make out of it, but I would be about 70 yards short. (The pattern calls for 580 yards; I have 510, and that's if I use every inch of yarn)

This is the pattern: Groove by Stephen West

I doubt I would end up doing this pattern, but if it was possible, could it be made? I guess if I were to do any alterations, I would make the solid cable bars shorter so it would end up symmetrical, but I would have to think about it (and I don't really want to think about it haha).

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

You could just work it in a smaller gauge than called for, or leave off a couple rows at the end.

Also, I miss when Stephen West was sane.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Yeah, the 580 comes from 4 skeins time 145 yards/skein of that particular yarn. You might be fine. Maybe see if others who made it had leftovers?

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

Safari Disco Lion posted:

You could just work it in a smaller gauge than called for, or leave off a couple rows at the end.

Also, I miss when Stephen West was sane.

Haha! As do I. I was considering trying my hand at his newest KAL because it helps a group of women in the Philippines, but I feel like I could donate it directly and save myself the risk of knitting something super crazy and weird.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it needed all 580 but I'll do more research on yardage. From the first couple pages it seems like people are using a little more than I have, but I'm going to keep looking. Thanks (Bob & SDL!)!

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
So, I have another request for people's opinions on interchangeable circular needle sets. I have a birthday coming up next month, and I am thinking about asking for a circular needle set. I am considering the possible options:

Chiaogoo interchangeable bamboo cirular needle set (the full/deluxe set; I really like these, but worry about the price)
Knitter's Pride DREAMS interchangeable cirular needle set (these are the ones I am kind of leaning towards right now, mainly because of the price)
Addi Click circular needle set (these again are expensive, but I like that they click on instead of screw on and you don't need a key)

I tend to have a preference for bamboo/wood, but I could use metal or plastic if need be if they were a better set. I really like the addi click in that they don't use screwons/keys, but I know very little else about them).

I have used bought some individual (not set) screw on interchangebale metal needles in the past (I think Boyd or Susan bates maybe)?

I am thinking that I will probably stop using straight needles and use whatever set I get to be my main knitting needles for all projects, not just knitting in the round.

Any opinions, recommendations, caveats, etc. would be welcome.

EDIT: I did indeed mean Knitter's PRIDE Dreamz

djinndarc fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 8, 2013

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

wodan22 posted:

So, I have another request for people's opinions on interchangeable circular needle sets. I have a birthday coming up next month, and I am thinking about asking for a circular needle set. I am considering the possible options:

Chiaogoo interchangeable bamboo cirular needle set (the full/deluxe set; I really like these, but worry about the price)
Knitter's Choice DREAMS interchangeable cirular needle set (these are the ones I am kind of leaning towards right now, mainly because of the price)
Addi Click circular needle set (these again are expensive, but I like that they click on instead of screw on and you don't need a key)

I tend to have a preference for bamboo/wood, but I could use metal or plastic if need be if they were a better set. I really like the addi click in that they don't use screwons/keys, but I know very little else about them).

I have used bought some individual (not set) screw on interchangebale metal needles in the past (I think Boyd or Susan bates maybe)?

I am thinking that I will probably stop using straight needles and use whatever set I get to be my main knitting needles for all projects, not just knitting in the round.

Any opinions, recommendations, caveats, etc. would be welcome.

Do you mean the Knitter's Pride DREAMZ? I wouldn't worry about needing a key, I've got a mish-mash of KnitPicks Harmony and Knitter's Pride Dreamz going right now (my original set was KnitPicks Harmony, but I've been adding the Dreamz as additional/replacement tips and cables since my LYS now carries them in store). A safety pin works as well as the key that comes with it, so I've found the key issue to not really be a very big problem (my solution is to store my cables with safety pins through the holes, like both the 24" cables safety pinned together - that way there's always a "key" handy). Have you considered picking up a sampler set from Knitter's Pride? That will get you 1 set of Symfonie Dreamz tips, 1 set of Rosewood Cubic tips and 1 set of nickel plated Nova tips with a couple of cables to go with them for something like $20. Or you could go even cheaper and just pick up 1 set of the Dreamz tips and 1 set of cables, just to see if you like them - it isn't as if ending up with a spare set of needle tips in one of your most commonly used sizes it going to be a problem.

Here's the sample set on Yarn.com: http://www.yarn.com/index.cfm/fusea...CFUQ6QgodnEUADQ

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Definitely do whatever you can to try individual interchangeables before buying a set. I'm on the lookout for a third (3rd) set because for the first two, I just went "oh that sounds great I'm sure it'll work." Nope.

Let me also throw Knitters' Pride Karbonz into the hat. The carbon fiber grips the stitches like wood does so they won't slip off, but the metal tips allow you to knit faster. Plus, no breaking, unlike wood. The bad news is that when I got a set of DPNs to try out, they weren't uniformly pointy -- one was pointy and very nice, but the other four were all pretty blunt, which isn't my favorite. If you try one circ and like it, I would suggest buying the interchangeable set in person so you can eyeball the tips.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I have the Knitter's Pride Nova interchangeable and even though I was annoyed with the screw and key the joins are much smoother than my more expensive addi click set. I sometimes have a hard time screwing on certain tips to cords so sometimes they have minor defects. The addis are nice because of the click, but tend to snag at the join. The tips are more rounded and less pointy which can make k2tog harder and more time consuming but nice if you're a "pusher" like me as I knit continental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I have Addi bamboo clicks and love them. It can snag in the bamboo to metal join but I am sure that is down to me knitting far too tightly. The smallest cable is 60cm and I find it quite useless.

I heard that all Addi needles are crazy expensive in America, like double Euro prices, so hard to justify the price you'll be paying for them.