Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Canadian Bakin posted:

It's the aromatic bitters. Also, where would you apply the fruit based ones, because those seem interesting.
Fee Brothers' Rhubarb Bitters is amazing to drop some dashes of into a dry martini, or into some ginger ale. Orange bitters can be used anywhere you use triple sec, just add a couple of dashes and it'll introduce a much stronger citrus flavor while getting rid of some of the sweetness. It's also great in a Manhattan. I haven't tried any of the others, I don't get to make cocktails much :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Fee Brothers makes some really tasty fruit flavored bitters. I especially like the black walnut and peach. They are not as bitter as some other brands, which I think makes them especially useful in lighter drinks which may typically not contain bitters. I like to add a dash of the peach or grapefruit into margaritas or other sours to add a little more complexity and aroma. The peach and black walnut mix very well with bourbon. The celery...I'm not sure yet but I will figure it out.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Chuck Biscuits posted:

The celery...I'm not sure yet but I will figure it out.

Hint: Bloody Marys. Haven't tried it with Fee Brothers specifically, but it works a treat with Scrappy's. I've also had a decent Bloody Mary made with Sriracha Bitters.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Fee Brothers' Celery Bitters are poo poo. They don't bring any crisp vegetative flavors to a drink like you'd want out of using celery, they just taste like a really mild bitter vegetable broth. I don't know if that's true of all celery bitters, or just the Fee Brothers brand one, but ugh.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Fee Bros uses glycerin instead of alcohol, and therefore their bitters are a little bit sweet, rather than, well, bitter. This is fine in their peach bitters (which I think are the best bitters they make), but in almost everything else it gets sort of sickly-tasting.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I got some of their barrel-aged bitters and found that I really liked them in my bourbon manhattans for when I run out of Rittenhouse rye. They're also my go-to for spicing up my sparkling water. I find them a little cinnamon-y, but in these cases I like it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

Fee Bros uses glycerin instead of alcohol, and therefore their bitters are a little bit sweet, rather than, well, bitter. This is fine in their peach bitters (which I think are the best bitters they make), but in almost everything else it gets sort of sickly-tasting.

Yea I really don't like the Fees orange bitters I bought and I figured it was due to that. My Woodford Reserve bourbon barrel aged cherry bitters, however, are half gone in just a few months. They're incredible.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
So what I should take away from this is, try to track down Pyechaud's or Angostura if at all possible.
Where would I even go about finding these? I don't think I've ever seen them at any of the liquors stores I've been in. I only found the Fee Brother's by accident when I walked into a local butcher shop that has a store front that doubles as a Dutch import shop and a fancy kitchen supply store.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Canadian Bakin posted:

So what I should take away from this is, try to track down Pyechaud's or Angostura if at all possible.
Where would I even go about finding these? I don't think I've ever seen them at any of the liquors stores I've been in. I only found the Fee Brother's by accident when I walked into a local butcher shop that has a store front that doubles as a Dutch import shop and a fancy kitchen supply store.

Angostura should be in your grocery store; if not there, thanks to liquor laws, it should be the easiest to find anywhere. It's the most commonly used bitters anywhere. If it isn't in your local liquor store, or grocery store, or wherever you buy your other cocktail stuff, ask. It weirds me out to think you found Fee Bros before Angostura.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Canadian Bakin posted:

I found Angostura bitters in Safeway, and I'm in Calgary. It was in the aisle where the daiquiri mixes were, near the pop. Your profile says Alberta, so I assume it's the same over the rest of the province. (You could probably find it in your grocery store of choice.)

A liquour store near my boyfriend's carries all the bitters you'd ever want, too. There might be a good one somewhere near you.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
In Ottawa, you an get Angustora at freaking Loblaws. Other bitters? The only place I've gotten them is by going directly to the distillery.

If people know where I can get bitters in Ottawa, TELL ME DAMIT.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
Bitter Truth Celery Bitters are amazing. Definitely the way to go if you want to try celery bitters in a drink.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
I am enlightened. Thanks, Jyrraeth! I'll give Safeway a shot tomorrow and hopefully mine has some.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah Bitter Truth celery is way better than Fee Bros, having tried both.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'm in the middle of making some mole bitters, and I'm really curious what kinds of cocktails people have used it in. I'm thinking, just as a way of really getting to know the flavor, of making an old fashioned, but with the mole instead of angostura and a midrange anejo tequila instead of bourbon. Other than that, I've heard that it's really good in coke, and I have no clue what else to do with it other than play. Any ideas?

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I haven't had a chance to use the Fee Bros Celery yet, but I tasted it straight and it reminded me of a sweet and mildly bitter bullion cube. I'll try it out but will probably order up some Bitter Truth and do a comparison. The EXR amaro and Xocolatl bitters that I have from them are both incredible, so I am not surprised that their celery bitters are also good.

Whalley posted:

I'm in the middle of making some mole bitters, and I'm really curious what kinds of cocktails people have used it in. I'm thinking, just as a way of really getting to know the flavor, of making an old fashioned, but with the mole instead of angostura and a midrange anejo tequila instead of bourbon. Other than that, I've heard that it's really good in coke, and I have no clue what else to do with it other than play. Any ideas?

I really like adding a dash of the Bitter Truth Xocolatl Mole to a Manhattan, in addition to the standard shake of Angostura. The mole is a pretty powerful flavor so it needs to go with other ingredients that won't easily be overpowered. Bourbon, rye, sweet vermouth and amaros seem to fit the bill. It is really good in a Left Hand, which is full of strong and complex flavors.

Left Hand
1.5 oz bourbon
0.75 oz. Campari
0.75 Sweet Vermouth
2 dashes chocolate bitters

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

nrr posted:

zmcnulty posted:

I have one of these, Japan's gift to the world of rusty nails: http://sanosyoukai.com/cc/
Pretty awesome because it forces the bubbles out during freezing, giving completely perfect ice spheres every time.
How is this (as in, does it work and is it efficient and good and etc.) and do you know where can a dumb round eye who can only speak english order one/some from?

A couple pages back, but I just bought this set of two spherical ice molds for :10bux:. They have great reviews, unlike the silicone, two part sphere trays. The balls are a little bigger too -2.5". I'll report on it when they come in at the end of the week.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Jyrraeth posted:

I found Angostura bitters in Safeway, and I'm in Calgary. It was in the aisle where the daiquiri mixes were, near the pop. Your profile says Alberta, so I assume it's the same over the rest of the province. (You could probably find it in your grocery store of choice.)

A liquour store near my boyfriend's carries all the bitters you'd ever want, too. There might be a good one somewhere near you.

Silk Road Spices in Inglewood has a pretty large selection of bitters as well.

What magical liquor store carries lots of bitters?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Demon_Corsair posted:

I visited Providence, RI a few months ago and found a liquor store with two huge shelves of bitters. I don't remember what it was called, and I have never seen a store like that anywhere else, but they exist.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Very Strange Things posted:

A couple pages back, but I just bought this set of two spherical ice molds for :10bux:. They have great reviews, unlike the silicone, two part sphere trays. The balls are a little bigger too -2.5". I'll report on it when they come in at the end of the week.

Yeah, almost everywhere in town has these but I was never really impressed with the inconsistency of the spheres.

We have a Kold Draft ice machine that makes big, dense, clear cubes. They're not cheap, and the reason for that is they produce a cube with no air bubbles or weaknesses. This makes the cubes last longer, dilute less, and make for a better drink. I've seen them go through the dishwasher before and still come out resembling ice cubes.

The sphere works on the concept that less surface area creates less dilution as well but I'm not convinced that it's flat out better when the spheres i get are cloudy with air trapped inside them and some of them crack and break in half.

So the holy grail right now is basically a combination of the two. A dense, perfectly clear sphere of ice with no imperfections. So far I've managed to use the Tovolo moulds to achieve this but the real challenge is to be able to effectively mass produce them for my bar. So far, each individual ball takes around 8-12 hours to form, and that's not really practical to refill the 4-6 moulds we've got for the 20-50+ combined Manhattans, Negronis, Old Fashioneds etc that I can do on a Saturday night.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Demon_Corsair posted:

I was speaking in hyperbole about the bitters, I honestly can't remember what exactly they have. I'll have to look. Silver Spring's Liqour store. They have a lot, but it's been months since I had time to look. I usually just grab some beer and go because I'm lazy and my boyfriend doesn't have much for food/drink gear in general.

I'll check out the place in Inglewood, I work near there so it's a lot easy to get there than it was before.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, other than the Aviation, is there any good pilot cocktails?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

There's the Jet Pilot.

Jet Pilot

.5 oz. lime juice
.5 oz. falernum
.5 oz. Cointreau
1.5 oz. dark Jamaican
.75 oz. light Cuban
dash Angostura
6 drops absinthe
8 oz. crushed ice

Assemble in blender, blend at high speed for 5 seconds.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Paper Plane - .75oz each bourbon, amaro, Aperol, lemon juice. Shake/coupe.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
Kenning posted the Test Pilot. This is the Jet Pilot.

Jet Pilot

1 oz Jamaican rum
0.75 oz gold Puerto Rican rum
0.75 oz Lemon Hart 151
0.5 oz lime juice
0.5 oz grapefruit juice
0.5 oz cinnamon syrup
0.5 oz falernum
Dash Angostura bitters
6 drops Pernod

Combine all ingredients, add a handful of crushed ice, blend for five seconds and pour into a chilled old-fashioned glass filled with more crushed ice.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I wonder if those cocktails have enough ingredients.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That's Tiki.

bolo yeung posted:

Kenning posted the Test Pilot. This is the Jet Pilot.

Eh, the names aren't 100% consistent in Tiki. Also that Jet Pilot looks suspiciously like a 1936 Zombie.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Kenning posted:

That's Tiki.

Eh, the names aren't 100% consistent in Tiki. Also that Jet Pilot looks suspiciously like a 1936 Zombie.

I thought so too before I made it. The increased cinnamon syrup and grapefruit juice and reduced rum/lime juice sure makes a good deal of difference.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I can't wait until white grapefruits are back in season in a month or so.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
So I went to the liquor store today and spent a shitload of money on booze. Tried three new cocktails today:

1: Amargo Cockail

1oz Blanco Tequila (I used Espolon, great blanco for mixing)
1oz Campari
1/2 oz Lime Juice
2 oz Grapefruit juice

I enjoyed this immensely, it was refreshing as hell, and the proportions were such that no ingredient got drowned out. I still got a good feel of the tequila, and the campari played well with the citrus. Very nice, light and refreshing. Wish I had started drinking this when the weather first got warm.

2: Scotch Collins

2oz Scotch
2oz Sour mix ( I made a fresh batch today with oranges, limes and lemons)
6 oz Club soda

Loved it. The citrus from the sour played well with the citrus from the scotch, but the peat and smoke came screaming through to the point that my wife was commenting on how horrible the drink smelled. Tasted great, the malty feel came through strong. Great creamy mouthfeel, each time I took a sip it felt like my mouth was coated nicely. Next time I'm going to cut the soda down to 4oz, I think I diluted it a bit too much.

3: Rob Roy
2oz Scotch
1oz Sweet Vermouth
2 dashes Angostura Bitters

Kind of a let down. It was good, but for some reason it feels like the scotch lost alot of it's peat and smoke character even though it was the dominant ingredient. I'm kind of scratching my head on this one. It tasted too sweet and had a rough/young alcohol burn. I don't mind the burn if it comes with some flavor but this just sort of tasted like a muddled mess. I'm not saying it tasted horrible, but it just came across as "sweet" with nothing else. And oddly the creamy mouthfeel is gone. I think part of the problem might be the ingredients. I bought cheap vermouth, and it's been open for about four weeks now. I've kept it in the fridge, but I think I might need to throw it out.

I also picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye, going to try an Old Fashioned with that next.

Edit: Going to pick up a bottle of Cynar next and fool around with it. I think it would go great with tequila as well, but being artichoke based I'd need a non citrus ingredient to mix in.

rxcowboy fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 6, 2013

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I'm actually starting to amass a home bar after years of saying I will but just buying a bottle of bourbon and drinking it instead. Here's what I have so far. It's small right now, but it's already made me a lot of good cocktails:

Bulleit bourbon
Gordon's gin
Cointreau
Sweet and dry vermouth
Angosturra bitters
Campari

I'm thinking of picking up a rye (from what I've gathered, Rittenhouse would be good) after this, but would you guys have any other suggestions as to what to buy? I'm trying to expand slowly so that I learn all the permutations. My favorite drinks to make so far have been Negroni, Manhattan, and Pegu Club.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

drainpipe posted:

saying I will but just buying a bottle of bourbon and drinking it instead.

Nothing useful to add, but this is basically me too. Love my bourbon. Have scotch, rum, bitters but...usually just pour myself a nice big bourbon and have at it.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

drainpipe posted:

I'm actually starting to amass a home bar after years of saying I will but just buying a bottle of bourbon and drinking it instead. Here's what I have so far. It's small right now, but it's already made me a lot of good cocktails:

Bulleit bourbon
Gordon's gin
Cointreau
Sweet and dry vermouth
Angosturra bitters
Campari

I'm thinking of picking up a rye (from what I've gathered, Rittenhouse would be good) after this, but would you guys have any other suggestions as to what to buy? I'm trying to expand slowly so that I learn all the permutations. My favorite drinks to make so far have been Negroni, Manhattan, and Pegu Club.

A good white rum and a blended scotch would be good things to add to help you cover more of your base spirits. Flor de Cana 4 year extra dry or Cruzan are good choices for rum and maybe someone with more experience with scotch can chime in, but I use Chivas Regal 12 for scotch drinks.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

rxcowboy posted:

Going to pick up a bottle of Cynar next and fool around with it. I think it would go great with tequila as well, but being artichoke based I'd need a non citrus ingredient to mix in.

You could do a variation on the 'Art of Choke' but try tequila instead of rum. It's already such a weird drink that I have no idea if it would work, but it's worth a try.

1 ounce white rum
1 ounce Cynar
1/8 ounce fresh lime juice
1/8 ounce rich demerara-sugar syrup (2:1)
1/4 ounce green Chartreuse
Sprigs of mint

Muddle mint, then add the other ingredients. Stir with ice then strain over fresh ice into an Old-Fashioned glass. Garnish with another sprig of mint.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Just want to say thank you to everyone that suggested that I try a rye whiskey in a manhattan.

I've been looking for a bottle of Rittenhouse for a couple of weeks now, just found one and holy poo poo, I can see why it's hard to find around here.

I'm not going to say it's got the most complex flavor profile in the world, but at 100 proof what it does have stands up drat tall in a mixed drink.

Made a Boulevardier Cocktail, and it loving kicked rear end.

1 and 1/2 oz Ritten
1 oz Campari
1 oz Sweet Vermouth

Delicious, not too sweet, not too bitter. Very smooth, with a bit of a bite to let you know you're drinking liquor but not in a rough way. The various flavors came in waves across my tongue, truly a great cocktail.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

The Hebug posted:

A good white rum and a blended scotch would be good things to add to help you cover more of your base spirits. Flor de Cana 4 year extra dry or Cruzan are good choices for rum and maybe someone with more experience with scotch can chime in, but I use Chivas Regal 12 for scotch drinks.

Echoing this but I have to push for Teacher's as a good blended scotch. I sampled Chivas and found it a little sweet, but Teacher's has a bit more of a bold flavor profile that in my opinion stands out more in mixed drinks. It's got a unique taste and a very distinct creamy mouthfeel. It's also cheaper that Chivas or JWB, I just paid 26 for a 1.75L.

I'm going to try Black Bottle and Black Grouse next because for some reason I really like the taste of smoke in my mouth.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

for some reason I really like the taste of smoke in my mouth.

when a boy becomes a man

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I have a cocktail-ish question.

I'm having a dinner party, and wanted to to something a bit different. I want to make a bloody mary, but use agar agar to set it.

In my head, this is how it goes:
Combine: Canned tomatoes (decent fresh ones here are over $4/lb.), celery salt, hot sauce, horseradish, worcestershire sauce, water, pepper. Simmer for 10 min or so to combine (maybe fridge overnight instead?), then strain. Get it back on the heat, and mix in agar agar. Simmer for another minute or so until the agar dissolves, take off the heat, add vodka, put into molds (ice cube tray) and let set. Serve on a toothpick with an olive.

Couple questions:
1. How's my bloody mary mix?
2. Is this a terrible loving idea?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Stopped by good will today and got a nice cocktail shaker, a julep strainer, bar spoon and some martini style glasses for about 10 bucks. For anyone looking to set up a basic bar set, thrift shopping is indeed a good bet, and I thank whoever recommended that to me.

Came home, mixed up a nice drink.

2 oz Dark Rum (El Dorado 12 year)
1 oz Campari
2 oz Sour Mix (Homemade, a bit too much lemon but I'll fix that next time)

First off, this is delicious and smooth with zero bite. A properly chilled cocktail really does taste better than schleping the ingredients together in a glass and calling it a day.

After sampling the campari with rye whiskey, tequila and rum, I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it works with all the liquors so far. I'll try it with gin next but I'm really happy with this liquor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Campari definitely rules. I think it plays especially well with orange; I love garnishing a left hand or negroni with an orange twist.