Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

USDA Choice posted:

Not a joke though the umbrella/batteries/basket/phone were added for kicks. I don't expect any of it to actually move except for maybe the lamp and the dehumidifier. What doesn't will be split up between friends, the gf's family, and the dumpster.
I'd totally take the 3G for shits and giggles.

Shiggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenner116
May 15, 2009
I'd love to lose all my money in card games but coming up from Wenshan on a weeknight probably won't happen. I propose a Goon Autumn Festival street BBQ next week.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I've been in the same position. You gotta offload what you can, an cash is cash is cash.

I'm shy on space since i moved. I was interested in the desk and humidifier but Mrs closed me down :/

Looking forward to poker on weds. Iirc i owe you 1/3 of pikey whisky.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Can you check if pillow is machine washable. Space foam poo poo is awesome.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
In addition to whatever pillowcase you put around it it also has a relatively thick polyester mesh skin around the foam which can be unzipped and machine washed. The foam itself is not meant for anything more than gentle spot washing though.

potatoofdoom
Jan 22, 2013

USDA Choice posted:

Hullo thread,

As url noted I am leaving Taiwan, and that means leaving things behind! I live near Zhongshan Elementary school station if you want to come pick up some of my poo poo, some is free some will cost you. Ideally you'll get this stuff on Friday since I'm moving out on Saturday.

Once upon a time this was a pretty nice office chair, then I went all :downsbravo: and tried to lean way over and pick something up and it fell over and broke. Now it's a stool. Free if you come pick it up.

A D-Link DIR-600, your most basic router. I believe it has dd-wrt loaded on it currently, it works fine but our current ISP provides a modem/router combo anyway. Throw me 100NT or bring me a couple pearl milk teas or something?

Dell Studio 1550. No hard drive. (Takes the regular small 2.5" size.) The chassis fan gets clicky from time to time but not catastrophic. When it did have a hard drive in it, sometimes it seemed to not be seated properly as it wouldn't find the operating system. Other times it booted straight up. I do not know if this was due to the hard drive or the body itself. Includes the power adapter. Make an offer.

Basic wraparound scooter helmet. Has never been seriously waterlogged so that's something. 200.

TECO dehumidifier. Sometimes it gets loud but otherwise does an extremely good job. 1500.

iPhone 3G. Completely broken, doesn't seem to take a charge. I don't even know why you'd want this other than to cannibalize it or make a youtube video of a tragic love story between a smartphone and a hacksaw. Free.

Clock. Also tells you the date and temperature. If you hit the top it will glow in the dark and tell you the time in very MicrosoftSam-ish Chinese. 150?

Lamp. Pretty bright, provides for nice reading. Right now there's a white-light fluorescent bulb in it. Has convenient partitions in the base for some coins or maybe jewelry. 300.

Umbrella, batteries, and basket. A spoke is broken on the umbrella and 12 AA batteries, those are both free. Basket was hand made in Taiwan, 100 for that.

Cheapo keyboard (not the mouse or pad). Doesn't just work well, but is actually pretty comfortable and responsive. Just not worth the room in my luggage. Free.

MonFrou pillow. Those yellowish marks are branding, not goonstains. It's contoured and made from that space foam poo poo, and great for people who sleep on their backs or sides. I know the secondary pillow market isn't hot but I bought it new for 1500 in April or May. 500.

Desk. It has a keyboard tray but it fell out. Also has a little drawer. Probably 90x40x80 cm or so. Free.

Crappy chair. Bought this after I broke the good one like an idiot. Not broken, but not as comfortable and the seat is somewhat dirty due to my odd habit of putting my foot on my chair. Free.

Also, I have a sleeping bag that I didn't take a picture of. It's got its own case and packs up pretty small, only been slept in probably for 7 nights over 2 weekends. 200.

And come to poker 9/11 :911: so I can take your hard earned cash one last time.

This is the worst craigslist post ever.

Edit: is that your ballsack in the the reflection on the helmet?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

potatoofdoom posted:

This is the worst craigslist post ever.

Edit: is that your ballsack in the the reflection on the helmet?
As much as I'd love a Wayne Gretzky rerun, I don't even know how you're seeing a nutsack in that photo anyway. But then again I'm not exactly going to pore over it looking for another man's balls (unless they're in a striped red-and-white sweater and matching hat) so....

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Nope it's just a landscape. Sorry to disappoint.

Since I'm leaving though, what's the single best non-Western restaurant I should hit up in Taipei?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

USDA Choice posted:

Nope it's just a landscape. Sorry to disappoint.

Since I'm leaving though, what's the single best non-Western restaurant I should hit up in Taipei?

der - Lilly's!

Dumbass!

Pick one of the 5 star hotels they have int'l reputations to maintain (personally i'm not down with buffet).
You'll wanna sort the table out quick sharp if you're thinking about Friday night.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
The Chinese place on the 86th floor of 101. It is amazing.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
MaZenDo at SYS Memorial Hall station is super goddamn solid and it's pretty fast and cheap to medium priced.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Just looked that place up, it sounds pretty awesome. Do you know if reservations are recommended/taken, especially if I'm gonna go on a weekend?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Any jobs open right now? Kind of in a lovely situation with my school all of a sudden and I'm willing to walk over it but I'd like to continue getting a paycheck.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Atlas Hugged posted:

Any jobs open right now? Kind of in a lovely situation with my school all of a sudden and I'm willing to walk over it but I'd like to continue getting a paycheck.

There's always the cold shrug of Korea. Also... You're back to your old Randian self. :)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Wait, I used to be a Randian?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Atlas Hugged posted:

Wait, I used to be a Randian?

A cheeky one. I like to interpret usernames in my own way.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Also, I'm entirely willing to relocate. Cash flow is more important than happiness so long as certain basic conditions which my school wants to violate are met. I actually wouldn't mind Pingtung if people knew of work there just because that's where I've got "family".

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Turns out moving to a "real" city means that people get pissed if you use random plastic bags for your garbage. Where do you even get those special blue bags, anyway?

Also, as much as I'd like to continue coming to the poker games, I'm now working from 3:30 to midnight, so I don't think that'll happen. Sorry!

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah that was a big revelation to me as well when I moved up here.

I am not 100% sure about the blue bags since I live in New Taipei City and not Taipei itself, but to get our special pink bags I go to Carrefour. They don't actually have them on the shelves, though, I need to go to the customer service counter thing and buy them there. Boy, I sure do love putting trash bags inside other plastic bags, it just makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

7-11 has them behind the counter, just ask for the 藍色垃圾袋.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Also, I'm entirely willing to relocate. Cash flow is more important than happiness so long as certain basic conditions which my school wants to violate are met. I actually wouldn't mind Pingtung if people knew of work there just because that's where I've got "family".

David's is probably hiring. As a bonus you'd also probably get to do an episode of our radio show. You'd have to find your own apartment and stuff though. David's is just a paycheck. If you need work you could always sign on with global village until you find something better. You should definitely move to Taipei so that your life isn't boring as gently caress all the time though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Spanish Matlock posted:

David's is probably hiring. As a bonus you'd also probably get to do an episode of our radio show. You'd have to find your own apartment and stuff though. David's is just a paycheck. If you need work you could always sign on with global village until you find something better. You should definitely move to Taipei so that your life isn't boring as gently caress all the time though.

Well, I'll bug you about this in a year. My school caved and realized that a teacher with five years of experience and functional Chinese who only earns 550NT an hour isn't something they're willing to let go easily.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

Well, I'll bug you about this in a year. My school caved and realized that a teacher with five years of experience and functional Chinese who only earns 550NT an hour isn't something they're willing to let go easily.

:stare: For teaching a class? drat, you would probably make more doing tutoring on the side right? Isn't 1.5k NTD an hour more reasonable for a classroom or is that already international school teacher pay?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The reason my hourly is so low is because I get a free three bedroom apartment plus utilities and yearly airfare. That is unheard of for a buxiban in Taiwan. It ends up meaning I have more disposable income. However, the school decided they wanted to gently caress with my housing and I threatened to walk out. If the housing goes, then I would have no incentive to stay with my school.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

caberham posted:

:stare: For teaching a class? drat, you would probably make more doing tutoring on the side right? Isn't 1.5k NTD an hour more reasonable for a classroom or is that already international school teacher pay?

Hess starts at 580 and tops out at 750. The highest I've heard of for a buxiban class is 800/hour, which is what I used to have at a mom and pop school.

1500/hour? That's nuts.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Oh, and I have no prep or office hours. If I'm not teaching, I can go home since I live five minutes away. Aside from it being incredibly boring and enabling my wild spiral into alcoholism, it's a sweet gig.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Those bags are called 台北市專用垃圾袋 (Taipei shi zhuan yong le se dai) and as mentioned you can get them at 7-11. They're not particularly more expensive than other bags so why not just do it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I'd suggest just getting the 15L bags or larger then dumping all your trashcans or whatever in it when they're full and then taking that out instead of a bunch of little bags.

That said, recycling is still supposed to be separated. :effort:

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

duckfarts posted:

I'd suggest just getting the 15L bags or larger then dumping all your trashcans or whatever in it when they're full and then taking that out instead of a bunch of little bags.

That said, recycling is still supposed to be separated. :effort:

I live near a big apartment complex that has some people that bring around their own truck each night and take whatever recyclables you have, unsorted. I give them that stuff earlier in the evening, then throw the rest away in the garbage truck proper.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I live in a building with a proper dumpster and recycling room. I haven't taken trash to a truck in about six years. Move to a new building.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

One of the greatest disappointments of my life was walking around a 40C, humid as gently caress day and hearing an ice cream truck jingle in the distance... then seeing the garbage truck come up.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ravendas posted:

I live near a big apartment complex that has some people that bring around their own truck each night and take whatever recyclables you have, unsorted. I give them that stuff earlier in the evening, then throw the rest away in the garbage truck proper.

n/p

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 8, 2021

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

thegoat posted:

I live in a building with a proper dumpster and recycling room. I haven't taken trash to a truck in about six years. Move to a new building.

My building has bins for sorting recyclables and for the trash too, but they use the city's trash service so you still need to put your garbage in the official bags before putting them in the bin.

And yeah, I get 15L bags and fill it with other smaller trash bags, which seems wasteful but the smaller bags were...well, too small.

One of Hess' reading book even features an American kid getting confused about the garbage truck playing what we think of as an ice cream truck song. It was definitely one of the weirdest things in my first couple of weeks of living here.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

POCKET CHOMP posted:

My building has bins for sorting recyclables and for the trash too, but they use the city's trash service so you still need to put your garbage in the official bags before putting them in the bin.

And yeah, I get 15L bags and fill it with other smaller trash bags, which seems wasteful but the smaller bags were...well, too small.

One of Hess' reading book even features an American kid getting confused about the garbage truck playing what we think of as an ice cream truck song. It was definitely one of the weirdest things in my first couple of weeks of living here.

Jason goes to Taiwan~ With his Taiwanese buddy Stanley. I forget the story, but the previous one was Stanley Learns to Duck. Taught Hess stuff for way too long. I explained the whole idea to the kids, and how it fooled me too. "Ice cream truck!" "No, you... don't want their ice cream."

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It's Beautiful Island, you're right it's after Stanley Learns to Duck but I'm not sure which level it is exactly, SA 8 and 9? They're not bad books though, good little primer for the kids about cultural differences and stuff. My students always enjoyed them more than the pretty boring reading books in the lower levels. I know you've got me beat on the number of years, but I had 3 years of Hess stuff and it will take me at least that long to get it out of my memory.

The most awesome thing I ever found in Hess books is that in one of the Express books they explain a game using the name "Ms. Lar Dass" when it was about suing McDonald's (or some fast food chain). Someone must have been bored at work the night they wrote that one up.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

POCKET CHOMP posted:

It's Beautiful Island, you're right it's after Stanley Learns to Duck but I'm not sure which level it is exactly, SA 8 and 9? They're not bad books though, good little primer for the kids about cultural differences and stuff. My students always enjoyed them more than the pretty boring reading books in the lower levels. I know you've got me beat on the number of years, but I had 3 years of Hess stuff and it will take me at least that long to get it out of my memory.

The most awesome thing I ever found in Hess books is that in one of the Express books they explain a game using the name "Ms. Lar Dass" when it was about suing McDonald's (or some fast food chain). Someone must have been bored at work the night they wrote that one up.

SA10 and 11. 8 is The List which has the most disappointing ending to any book I've ever read and 9 is the recycling robot one.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

Or you could get the deaf mute guy to do it for you and pay him in cans.

So just me?

Better to leave you your recyclables out somewhere in plain sight. Then jingle some empty soda cans and hide in the bushes. Then watch as a horde of old people descend on the bag, and almost get in fist fights trying to claim it for themselves.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I know a guy who used to write books for Hess. It wasn't boredom, it was a regular personal challenge for him to try and work in as much ridiculous poo poo as he could get away with. He's a weird guy in some of the better ways.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

One of the Kids Club Teacher's Guides closing activity for a lesson is 'napalming the main office'. Took a picture of it, it's on my computer somewhere.

Also in the same line is the oral test for these kids being 'read the words', two of them being 'beach' and 'funk'. Long E/short I confusion and every kid just dropping the N led to some funny tests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Here's a highly-confidential picture of a Hess Kids Club Teacher's Guide book encouraging violence against the children. Someone alert the media.