Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Washed it, discovered an annoying grinding noise from the rear wheel when I turn it over slowly. At first I thought it was the chain, but it remained even after cleaning the chain, so now I'm worried it's coming from the axle or bearings. The bearings feel fine when trying to twist the wheel though.

Also went over the bike with a bottle of Novus and magiced all the small scratches away.

e: And I finally found a handlebar mount for the phone bag, which means I get to practice my U-turns less often. :v:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Took one of them to the MOT (yearly inspection). For the first time ever on one of my bikes, she passed first time.

Just need new brake pads, front tyre and a new chain at some point in the near future. I'll get that sorted while installing the DRZ's engine in 2 weeks.

(Actually I lie. Last time I took the DRZ in, she passed first time, but the horn connector was barely touching even after wrapping 3 yards of duck tape around it.)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Carried it home in a pickup after it shat the bed 10 miles into a 200 mile ride. Ironically I had just gotten the Ironbutt certificate a couple days before for a 1000 mile ride on that bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Got tired of the Ulysses packing down with the luggage on so I upped the compression damping by about 1/4 turn. Way better, feels more in control. I'd prefer to just set it and forget it but the not-very-light Pelican/Happy-trail luggage and where it's positioned really begs for a couple adjustments.

Shook it down by hitting some dirt roads in the Cherry Valley area of Snohomish County, got hassled by rednecks. There's a whole network of logging roads up there that are gated off. I want to disregard the gates and see where they go.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Selective yellow is fine, the difference is mostly subjective, but you'll get near as makes no difference the same light output as with a normal bulb as long as you don't buy the cheapest Chinese yellow bulbs from DealExtreme or whatever.

Mostly I'm just quoting you to tell you how sexy your bike is :)

Thanks. :)

And yeah, I got good bulbs so the light output is pretty good. When researching it, some people on the internet acted like night riding would be like having your eyes half closed, but it's barely different than the PIAA H4 I had in there. Noticeably yellower, of course, but I can see fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Collateral Damage posted:

The bearings feel fine when trying to twist the wheel though.
I know this sounds obvious but keep in mind a bearing is under much different conditions when being free wheeled/spun by hand versus having a few hundred lbs on it and rolling at speed.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

My bike will make a weird grinding/resonance noise when I spin the back tire but it's only the pads lightly touching the rotor. It's possible that's the noise you're hearing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

LifeSizePotato posted:

Thanks. :)

And yeah, I got good bulbs so the light output is pretty good. When researching it, some people on the internet acted like night riding would be like having your eyes half closed, but it's barely different than the PIAA H4 I had in there. Noticeably yellower, of course, but I can see fine.

You're cutting out most of the blue/violet light from your headlight beam, the colors that tend to kill your night vision. So it should be fine even with slightly less total light output. Most manufacturers make the bulbs run a tiny bit hotter to hit the same total light output as a normal bulb.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Carried it home in a pickup after it shat the bed 10 miles into a 200 mile ride. Ironically I had just gotten the Ironbutt certificate a couple days before for a 1000 mile ride on that bike.
I thought it was fueling related, maybe a clogged filter. I was close:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I discovered a pinhole leak in my gas tank. Anyone know of a good epoxy to seal it for a few years? Steel Stik?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I "learned" how to turn the petcock on while moving. Now I've made it part of my ritual before I even get on the bike to hopefully stop forgetting that.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Ephphatha posted:

I "learned" how to turn the petcock on while moving. Now I've made it part of my ritual before I even get on the bike to hopefully stop forgetting that.

I used to shut the petcocks off on my CB550 at night, since I parked it on the street and it wouldn't go but a block without them opened. They were hidden under the tank (cafe bike) so unless you knew where to look, you'd just think the bike ran out of gas.

Well, it worked. Several times. On me.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

Washed it, discovered an annoying grinding noise from the rear wheel when I turn it over slowly. At first I thought it was the chain, but it remained even after cleaning the chain, so now I'm worried it's coming from the axle or bearings. The bearings feel fine when trying to twist the wheel though.

This happened on my Monster when I got new tires. The most likely culprit is the axle being slightly out of round.

It's more of a creak, only in one particular spot. Like this, but not as bad:
http://youtu.be/JTG_B_uHjDo

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Messed with the AP timing on my DRZ. Now it can slide in second gear under heavy lean and throttle on my lovely Shinko 705s.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Ordered a 1250cc bolt on kit from Hammer Performance. I'm getting the heads rebuilt, ported, and polished during the wet season: Might as well do it right with lightweight pistons and a displacement bump.

Gonna turn the Ulysses into a beast.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Got her ready for football season.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

You should just keep adding paint on top of paint, then peel it off when it gets to be an inch thick.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

You should just keep adding paint on top of paint, then peel it off when it gets to be an inch thick.

Or keep three tanks on hand, and make my own seats.

shimmy
Apr 20, 2011
I tried to use a 10" tablet as gps unit

From using my phone I know Android is great for gps but the tablet is too big, you can't read it as fast. Also sunglare is real bad under that plastic of the tank bag.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

shimmy posted:

I tried to use a 10" tablet as gps unit

From using my phone I know Android is great for gps but the tablet is too big, you can't read it as fast. Also sunglare is real bad under that plastic of the tank bag.

I'd love a big tablet-style GPS with an e-ink screen and a massive battery. Could use it for all sorts of outdoors-y stuff.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I washed my bike today.

Haven't ridden in the rain before so I went out in the middle of that yellow blob on the left. Amazingly my gear kept me dry but I need to remember to put the liners in as it got pretty cold after about ten minutes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I checked my oil today. About half a quart low. Whoops!

That said, riding out to the auto parts store, it was around 60 degrees. Heated grips are amaaazing! I'm a big baby from the south; Chicago winters are going to eat me alive.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

That said, riding out to the auto parts store, it was around 60 degrees. Heated grips are amaaazing! I'm a big baby from the south; Chicago winters are going to eat me alive.

I'm a big baby from the north, it's gonna suck.

...Still managed to ride pretty much all year round last winter. I didn't like it though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I'm a big baby from the north, it's gonna suck.

...Still managed to ride pretty much all year round last winter. I didn't like it though.

I'm pretty much going to pick up a heated jacket liner before they stop being on sale and tough it out until I can't.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

With the oil consumption, you'll probably notice that it will settle at a certain level. I never fill mine to full anymore because it will quickly vent off and settle at like 5mm above the low line and then go slowly from there. If you have stock breathers back into the intake, it's something you'll want to figure out because it can poo poo up your air filter when you put too much oil in. I know I put too much in when I get oil on my boot overflowed from the catch can.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Man, I thought catch can oil overflow antics were unique to the Royal Enfield. Like, 90% of the posts on their official forums for the AVL and UCE engines are dedicated to removing and/or maintenance of the damned thing.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

Safety Dance posted:

it was around 60 degrees. Heated grips are amaaazing!
You poor, poor bastard. I remember walking around the city with my girl in light snow and freezing weather one Christmas because hey, it was a really pretty day. You'll eventually get used to a reasonable climate, though. (And actually having all four seasons.) One of these days you'll wake up, see it's 45 outside, and think "I wonder where I put my liner? I might need that soon."

chia
Dec 23, 2005
I got new tires, wheee! The old ones (Pirelli Rosso Corsa) felt a bit rubbish when it's cold plus they had 6000 km on them, the new ones are Michelin Pilot Powers and while probably not as sporty as the Pirellis I like them a lot, they feel more logical in the corners.

I don't really know how to explain it but with these the bike just goes where I want it to go without having to think. Like it's on rails or something.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I pumped up my tyres with a bicycle pump. :shobon: It went way easier than expected and I didn't need to pump nearly as much as I thought! The More You Know.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I don't think I've ever inflated my tires with anything else...maybe a mini compressor on the road. A T floor bike pump will do about .5 psi a pump for me and I check my tires enough that it's never more than a few psi. Good deal.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

The News posted:

Britain is about to experience an early winter, with snow expected to arrive as soon as next month, forecasters have warned.

Temperatures over the next three months will plummet to below average with one long-range forecaster predicting snowfalls in October.

Installing grip cuffs in anticipation of the above. Brr.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

KARMA! posted:

I pumped up my tyres with a bicycle pump. :shobon: It went way easier than expected and I didn't need to pump nearly as much as I thought! The More You Know.

Bicycle pumps are perfect. They're designed to go to insanely high pressures (100-170 psi) and are usually compact. The 30 psi we need on motorcycles is nothing.

Car tires, however, take a long loving tune to pump up. They may be low pressure, but they are high volume. Had to do it before, though.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Anyone in Seattle have a chain tool? Thinking it's about time for new chain and sprockets on my SV, but don't really want to pay Seattle Cycle Center to put them on.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You can buy a chain breaker for $20 on the monsterweb.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I have one I think.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I have one up in North Seattle

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

n8r posted:

You can buy a chain breaker for $20 on the monsterweb.

Huh, didn't realize they were so cheap; I've never changed my own chain/sprockets, but would like to, if one of you fine gents wouldn't mind me bothering you in the next few weeks. I'm up on like 145th and 15th on the Shoreline side, near the QFC. Happily hook you up with some beer or greenery or what have you for the help. I've got a front stand for the bike, should probably get a hold of a rear one as well.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
wrecked it.

good thing I was wearing my gear!
I ruined a pair of gloves but I'm alright. I managed to get a really nasty swollen knee though.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 18, 2013

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Those are the raddest graphics. Hope you get it back to stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I ordered a set of Bridgestone BT-016's for the Street Triple. Gonna mount those up and install the CBR rear shock this week. Might as well flush the brakes and check/grease the headstock while I'm at at, and it's close enough to oil change time...sigh.