Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Kabanaw posted:

Every final villain since part 3 has had time manipulation. The World, Killer Queen Bites the Dust, King Crimson, Made in Heaven, The World (again). Even if you don't count part 7 since Valentine was the antagonist and Diego + The World only showed up right at the end, instead of time he could manipulate space which is practically the same thing. It would be weird if part 8's final antagonist couldn't do anything with time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-uftqtusQk

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

onepixeljumpman posted:

It'd be like if Jolyne suddenly realized she could regenerate wounds by eating balls of yarn and ending up as some sort of horrible human/sweater hybrid.

Holy poo poo this would have actually owned though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

onepixeljumpman posted:

"Ok, now I can't think of a way to stretch that any further, so vaguely defined time powers." It'd be like if Jolyne suddenly realized she could regenerate wounds by eating balls of yarn and ending up as some sort of horrible human/sweater hybrid.

To be fair, that only happened after using the arrow on himself, which does insane things to people who already have Stands (as seen when Kira was stabbed again and Killer Queen gained time manipulation). And we saw what Silver Chariot was capable of while carrying the arrow (soul swapping). Imagine what Diavolo or Dio would gain if the arrow deemed them worthy.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Not just Time Manipulation, Kira got Bites The Dust from it as well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
At least Kira's ability was limited to a certain time frame and he couldn't do anything else with Killer Queen if it was in Bites the Dust. It's already been established that Silver Chariot Requiem was almost as stupid as GER in how it seemed practically impossible to beat it and they had to go through incredibly silly shenanigans to do so and then Giorno gets the ability to literally win every fight ever. We don't even know if Dio and Diavolo could've used the stand arrow either, because all three people who were hit with the arrow awoken their stands naturally.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Schubalts posted:

To be fair, that only happened after using the arrow on himself

I know. I'm saying that Araki, unable to push "life energy" further, decided to just ditch GE and give Giorno powers arbitrarily.

That's actually what bothers me the most. What powers requiem stands have are vastly unrelated to their original forms, so what that power that is can be anything. It bothers me that, for all the powers GER could have ended up with, it gets a power so perfectly suited to beating King Crimson that it basically happens automatically. It's kinda like the spare parts thing, though GER is worse because requiems are essentially random. I agree that it's a reasonable extension of GE, but he develops it while fighting Baby Face, and it's exactly what he needed to deal with Baby Face's attacks. Getting new powers isn't a problem itself. It's just how convenient at the moment the powers Giorno gets always are.

It has been longer than I can remember since reading Part 5, though, so I might not be giving him enough credit for Baby Face. He at least figured out a worthwhile way to kill the user, I think.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sex_Ferguson posted:

At least Kira's ability was limited to a certain time frame and he couldn't do anything else with Killer Queen if it was in Bites the Dust. It's already been established that Silver Chariot Requiem was almost as stupid as GER in how it seemed practically impossible to beat it and they had to go through incredibly silly shenanigans to do so and then Giorno gets the ability to literally win every fight ever. We don't even know if Dio and Diavolo could've used the stand arrow either, because all three people who were hit with the arrow awoken their stands naturally.

It should be noted that Kira got hit by Arrow himself while Giorno and Polneraff's stands were hit by the arrow. And once again Giorno did lose the arrow after he beat Diavolo and put the Arrow in the turtle.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Sex_Ferguson posted:

A stand that literally time travels?

What do you think the TARDIS is? :smug:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

onepixeljumpman posted:

I know. I'm saying that Araki, unable to push "life energy" further, decided to just ditch GE and give Giorno powers arbitrarily.

That's actually what bothers me the most. What powers requiem stands have are vastly unrelated to their original forms, so what that power that is can be anything. It bothers me that, for all the powers GER could have ended up with, it gets a power so perfectly suited to beating King Crimson that it basically happens automatically. It's kinda like the spare parts thing, though GER is worse because requiems are essentially random. I agree that it's a reasonable extension of GE, but he develops it while fighting Baby Face, and it's exactly what he needed to deal with Baby Face's attacks. Getting new powers isn't a problem itself. It's just how convenient at the moment the powers Giorno gets always are.

It has been longer than I can remember since reading Part 5, though, so I might not be giving him enough credit for Baby Face. He at least figured out a worthwhile way to kill the user, I think.

I forget though, did he ever really need healing up to that fight? Vento Aureo was pretty free with having non-JoJo party members being the primary focus in fights, with Giorno standing on the sidelines. Although talking about him having too many abilities, at least once he killed a tree by over-aging it and I don't remember the reflected damage that killed Luka ever coming up again. Hell, when he got jumped up as a side effect of Silver Chariot Requiem, he could sense spirit energy. It'd be a very cool power set if it could just be more consistent.

I kinda think I know what Araki was going for though. After having Star Platinum and Crazy Diamond being very set in their abilities, he probably wanted something with a high growth potential.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 7, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just finished Vento Aureo. That was easily my least favourite ending of the arcs so far. Arrow turns Giorno's stand into a one-hit kill, extra mini-arc out of nowhere, and then abrupt ending with no epilogue. On the other hand, turtle-Polnareff.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

MonsterEnvy posted:

It should be noted that Kira got hit by Arrow himself while Giorno and Polneraff's stands were hit by the arrow. And once again Giorno did lose the arrow after he beat Diavolo and put the Arrow in the turtle.

Doesn't GER say he's chosen Giorno as his true master? I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter that Giorno doesn't have the arrow anymore.

Not that we'll ever know since Giorno's never showing up again.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
Wasn't there some weirdness in a collection's side-details section or a light novel or something saying that Gio was the only person besides Pucci and Emporio to be outside of Made in Heaven's effects due to GER? Or am I like completely misremembering some fan's theory?

Regardless; agreeing with Soulcleaver on how everything should be like SBR; a more coherent reinterpretation of Le Bizzarre Avventure di GioGio would be great. Through, I also wouldn't mind the next arc of JoJo to be an original one and not a strange reflection of a previous arc like Steel Ball Run/Phantom Blood and JoJolion/Diamond is Unbreakable.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

NovaPolice posted:

Regardless; agreeing with Soulcleaver on how everything should be like SBR; a more coherent reinterpretation of Le Bizzarre Avventure di GioGio would be great. Through, I also wouldn't mind the next arc of JoJo to be an original one and not a strange reflection of a previous arc like Steel Ball Run/Phantom Blood and JoJolion/Diamond is Unbreakable.
Clearly, Araki is saving that for part 10. 4 x 2 = 8, so 5 x 2 = 10. Flawless logic.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

NovaPolice posted:

Wasn't there some weirdness in a collection's side-details section or a light novel or something saying that Gio was the only person besides Pucci and Emporio to be outside of Made in Heaven's effects due to GER? Or am I like completely misremembering some fan's theory?

Might've been the Jorge Joestar novel. From what I can tell, it's all the stupid-awesome-stupid-again fanwanks that Araki would never let happen in something 'canon' in one book.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Part 6 has some real weird and bullshit stands. Invisible zombies, Feng shui, really?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 11, 2013

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

RatHat posted:

Part 6 has some real weird and bullshit stands. Invisible zombies, Feng shui, really?

I know, after the grounded sanity of the rest of Jojo's, it was such a shock!

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The whole feng shui thing was of one of the craziest battles in the whole series, so I can't see why anyone wouldn't like it.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Ditto for invisible zombie crocodiles.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I detached my invisible zombie head so you wouldn't know where to hit it.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I always liked to imagine Pucci was just sitting on a pile of Stand CDs he got from a thrift shop during his stay in Egypt and he just HAD to find a reason to use them. It is the only reason why I can figure out he has so many stands that just seem way too specific to be of any use. It's the reason Highway to Hell, Survivor and Dragon's Dream are there.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Pretty sure Dragon's Dream was a natural stand, not a CD.

Herr Shitlord
May 2, 2008

I feel so much butter!
I remember not being too wowed with the arc after reading Pt. 5 for the first time, but over time it's really grown on me. The thing I think I liked the most about pt. 5 was how well designed and memorable the main cast of villains were with the main exception (comically) being Diavolo. Not to say that the other parts don't have memorable villains either, but there's something distinctly different about the villain cast of part 5 that makes them seem a lot more human and a lot more interesting than even the protagonist characters at times. I actually can't stand Giorno at all since he's such a ~flawless golden boy~, but Abbachio has become my favorite pt. 5 protagonist largely because he's such a useless whiny piece of poo poo. :allears:

Stone Ocean on the other hand, I just can't get into. None of the villains were memorable and, with the exception of Hermes, all the supporting characters were really unlikable. Even Pucci seemed super docile and uninspired for most of part 6 which only got worse as his stand became more cheap and overpowered. I don't know; I feel like I'm not "getting" something about part 6 but it was really dissapointing to me.

Tobaccrow posted:

It's been a while, but I thought that was him being unable to die differently from how Rolling Stone predicted or something. They just assumed it was Gold Experience.

I still think putting Rolling Stone at the end of the comic as a flashback once everything was finished really hosed up the feel of the ending. Not to mention, I still don't understand how Bruno cheated death but Araki.

Herr Shitlord fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 11, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ok the Jailhouse Rock segment is pretty great. Araki definitely watched Memento before he wrote that.

EDIT: And the Bohemian Rhapsody segment. gently caress it, I love part 6.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 11, 2013

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
I mainly loved part 6 because Jolyne was all kinds of awesome. A little bit of Jotaro's attitude. A little bit of Joseph's humor. Plus, her own unique style.

Also, great baseball pitcher.

In general, I seem to like the parts where the Jojo is interesting. Might be why I soured on Diamond is Unbreakable after the initial chapters...

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Foo Fighters is a really good supporting character. :colbert:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The Jolyne/Hermes/Foo Fighters trio is far-and-away the best part of Part 6, a lot like how Bruno, Narancia, and Mista are the best part of Part 5.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Part 6 is really great for its fights, team dynamic (Being the best since Part 3), and really egregious examples of Araki making worthless sounding stands into monsters. Then Pucci gets more involved and it falls off a loving cliff, oh well at least the C-Moon fight was cool.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nahxela posted:

Sticky Fingers is a cooler stand anyways.

That's because Bucciarati is the true JoJo of part 5. :colbert:
But seriously, one of my favorite non combat stands is Pearl Jam. Why did everyone not not visit Tonio's restaurant after every major fight?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Brought To You By posted:

But seriously, one of my favorite non combat stands is Pearl Jam. Why did everyone not not visit Tonio's restaurant after every major fight?
Because they Josuke heals everyone in a manner that doesn't involve body horror?

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

The way I understand Pearl Jam works, it doesn't heal you so much as it makes you healthier.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Baofu posted:

The way I understand Pearl Jam works, it doesn't heal you so much as it makes you healthier.

It looked capable of completely replacing things like teeth and internal organs if they weren't completely healthy. I figure if you had Josuke handle the heavy lifting you could use Pearl Jam to keep everyone in optimum condition.

Ashamed of Traps
Aug 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Maybe not everybody is as nonchalant as Okuyasa about having their guts exploded out as a method of healing.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

It looked capable of completely replacing things like teeth and internal organs if they weren't completely healthy. I figure if you had Josuke handle the heavy lifting you could use Pearl Jam to keep everyone in optimum condition.
That'd work even better.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

tmboatman posted:

Maybe not everybody is as nonchalant as Okuyasa about having their guts exploded out as a method of healing.
At least the food is delicious.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
They probably eat there off-screen. They couldn't do it often, anyway, unless Tonio lets them eat for free.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
If I had magic food powers, I'd be charging an arm and a leg for it.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

According to his sign, Tonio charges 3500 yen for a full meal and his coffee and deserts are free. That'd probably be tough to swing for first year high school students, and Tonio could probably push the price after getting a reputation.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okuyasu says at random times how he's going to go eat there later and earlier in the manga it's stated he has enough savings to live off of in his house with his dad, I don't think it's too difficult, especially when Okuyasu is the more fiscally responsible one of himself and Josuke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I love get-rich-quick Josuke way more than gentle giant Josuke. Since Part 4 doesn't give him a quest like Jotaro's more definitive "go to Egypt, murder a vampire," it helps for Josuke to have his own reasons for getting involved in crazy shenanigans around town. Plus he and Okuyasu make great buddies.

• Locked thread