Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kaninrail posted:

Ugh. I was strongly considering the 70-300 as a tax return purchase next spring.

I was planning on getting one for Christmas. :smith:

Why the hell would the price increase as a product ages? I've never seen that happen anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Problem solved

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I don't think most people understand that the lens affects anything other than "zoom". They'll end up complaining "my camera doesn't take good action or low-light shots" instead of trying to get a lens with a wider aperture.

This has been my experience as well. I saw someone get all angry that their "brand new camera that cost a lot of money" wouldn't take good pictures indoors without a flash. I mentioned that fast prime lenses are really the only way to go for low-light situations without a flash, but she just fixated on the belief that obviously her camera sucked and she needed to get a Nikon.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Sure, unless the used price jumps too. I'm worried that with new units going up a couple hundred, that the used market will sweep upwards as well.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Here in the office we have a 5d3 that they want to use for livestreaming. I've never used a 5d3 before but it seems that it can do raw hdmi out (with a newer firmware) and then we'd need some sort of hdmi capture device. Is there anything more to this? We're primarily a mac shop.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You'll probably need to get one of those battery-things that lets you run the camera from mains, I'd imagine outputting raw via HDMI will drain the battery pretty quickly. Also be careful you don't overheat the sensor I guess.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Some surprising lenses hit the refurb store that I've never seen on there before:

TS-E 24mm II, 300mm f/2.8L IS II, and 400mm f/4L DO:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses-speedlites

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Went and test drove a 6D. It was neat. It's definitely higher end than the T3i I'm rocking. But then I picked up a 5d mark III. Geesus, the focal points.

Should I just stick with my crop t3i instead of upgrading to the 6d, and wait to purchase a 5d mark III when the time calls for it?

I guess basically I'm asking, how much does the 6D lack of left hand buttons and lack of 80000 focal points affect real world still life shooters?

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Captain Apollo posted:

I guess basically I'm asking, how much does the 6D lack of left hand buttons and lack of 80000 focal points affect real world still life shooters?

I rented on this past weekend as well to compare to my 7D. Great camera except the autofocus is a disaster compared to my 7D. Tried to shoot birds in flight and it was almost impossible. Indoors, or for landscape shots it was perfectly fine. I shoot a lot of birds though so it convinced me to spring for the 5D3.

Oh and I did like the controls layout just fine. Buttons on the right is no big deal. I may even prefer it.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
Hahahahahahahaha. I bought the 70-300 two weeks ago.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

Graniteman posted:

I rented on this past weekend as well to compare to my 7D. Great camera except the autofocus is a disaster compared to my 7D. Tried to shoot birds in flight and it was almost impossible. Indoors, or for landscape shots it was perfectly fine. I shoot a lot of birds though so it convinced me to spring for the 5D3.

Oh and I did like the controls layout just fine. Buttons on the right is no big deal. I may even prefer it.

I shoot birds with my 7D and use almost exclusively the centre point which is the same type as that on the 6D :shrug:

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

BeanTaco posted:

I shoot birds with my 7D and use almost exclusively the centre point which is the same type as that on the 6D :shrug:

You are a better man than I am for sure. I use a 100-400 and I must not have the skills. I start zoomed out to 100 to acquire focus / find the bird as it flies by, then snap zoom in to track it through the shot I want to take. If I only had the center point I don't know how I'd be able to get it to focus.

Edit: VVVVVVV

BeanTaco posted:

Well you're tracking the bird with it in the centre of the frame right? Unless you're taking pictures of something like swallows (in which case using all the points probably won't help much either) then it really shouldn't be a problem.

Like I said, I couldn't make it happen shooting over the weekend with the birds I was trying to shoot. Never had a problem with my 7D, but almost complete failure with the 6D. As an example of what I was trying to do, see the duck shots in this gallery. I was in the same location, shooting the same ducks in the same conditions, with the same lens. It could very well be my technique, don't get me wrong, but I've shot a lot of birds there and I couldn't get the shots with the 6D that I routinely got with the 7D.

Graniteman fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 5, 2013

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

Well you're tracking the bird with it in the centre of the frame right? Unless you're taking pictures of something like swallows (in which case using all the points probably won't help much either) then it really shouldn't be a problem.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I suppose Canon's working on increasing the dynamic range on their sensors after all. If I understand the linked patent even just remotely, they've patented a way to read out a pixel at different amplifications (i.e. dual ISO, except on each pixel instead of alternating scanline pairs):

http://www.google.com/patents/US20130206961

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

Graniteman posted:

I use a 100-400 and I must not have the skills. I start zoomed out to 100 to acquire focus / find the bird as it flies by, then snap zoom in to track it through the shot I want to take.

I'm really tempted to do this

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Graniteman posted:

You are a better man than I am for sure. I use a 100-400 and I must not have the skills. I start zoomed out to 100 to acquire focus / find the bird as it flies by, then snap zoom in to track it through the shot I want to take. If I only had the center point I don't know how I'd be able to get it to focus.

Edit: VVVVVVV

Like I said, I couldn't make it happen shooting over the weekend with the birds I was trying to shoot. Never had a problem with my 7D, but almost complete failure with the 6D. As an example of what I was trying to do, see the duck shots in this gallery. I was in the same location, shooting the same ducks in the same conditions, with the same lens. It could very well be my technique, don't get me wrong, but I've shot a lot of birds there and I couldn't get the shots with the 6D that I routinely got with the 7D.

Yeah, center point is the way to go for birds in flight. If you use the full range of points, you'll end up grabbing the background/foreground and miss the shot completely. The 7D center point must be something special though because when I was using one for birds, I almost never had problems getting good focus on the center. It would snap right to what I was aiming at. With my 1D, there seems to be a hazy circle around my center point that can randomly grab focus. I've tested it repeatedly and checked my photos with the focus points overlaid and I can be absolutely dead on target and miss focus if what I'm aiming at isn't at least twice as big as the focus point in the viewer. This sucks if you want to, say, make sure you're aimed at the head of a bird that's turned perpendicular to the sensor. I never had that problem with the 7D. Of course the 7D can't track for poo poo so I guess it balances out.

A couple of things that can help with birds in flight shots: if your camera supports it, set your AI Servo tracking sensitivity to "slow". This will help you keep focus if your point strays off target momentarily. Also, disabling focus search is really helpful. If your focus point slips off, your camera is less likely to rack your lens looking for something else to focus on. This means you may need to pre focus manually when you see the bird coming. As for technique, it can be helpful to tap the focus periodically until you are ready to take the shot rather than hold the focus button down and try to track the bird perfectly through it's flight path.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I think the 7D can also do center point with AF expansion, where it mostly uses the center point, but if you're off slightly, it will switch to one of the four points bordering it. Helps people like me with bad aim. :shrug:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I think the 7D can also do center point with AF expansion, where it mostly uses the center point, but if you're off slightly, it will switch to one of the four points bordering it. Helps people like me with bad aim. :shrug:

The 1D does that too, but it's in menu settings and you don't get feedback through the viewfinder. When I had a 7D I tried using the expansion point and it was decent for flight shots but it sucked for trying to shoot birds flopping around in a bush or tall grass so I just ended up keeping it on centerpoint all the time. I think its probably better in the long run to practice good panning technique anyway. Flight shots are hard as poo poo no matter what.

I posted this in the bird photography thread but it should probably get mentioned here too: Sigma is working on long, wide aperture primes. They're looking to directly compete with Canon/Nikon on big glass like 300mm / 400mm f2.8's and 500mm / 600mm f4's with OS. No word on when they're expected or where they might be priced but at a guess they will be significantly cheaper and nearly as good. Or if their 35mm f1.4 is any indication, they might just be better they won't be.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Just to be cheeky, Sigma should put both a red and gold band on their lenses.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

HPL posted:

Just to be cheeky, Sigma should put both a red and gold band on their lenses.

They should offer them in anime colors, like Pentax.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Seamonster posted:

star trek abstinence parakeet you're not telling the whole story:

Canon price increases

•EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM went from $1149 to $1349

What the fuuuuuck? There goes my dream of someday finding it for $999 (edit: I was hoping for fall rebates). Although, it doesn't look like they've increased the price of the refurbs (yet)

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 6, 2013

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
So I'm thinking about finally upgrading from my 30D. I'm strictly a hobbyist and my price range is going to be under $1000, I think. My existing lenses are all non-EF-S--the 50mm 1.8 II, 70-300 IS USM, and 100mm 2.8 USM. I also have a Sony RX100, so I already have a 1080p-capable device. I really take video quite rarely in any case, though.

So far I've looked into a used 7D or 1D from KEH--they have an EX-condition 7D for $850 and an EX-condition 1DS II for $1000. I've always been interested in the full-frame experience but it is an older sensor I guess.

Or I could get a new T5i body for $750.

OR I could wait a while longer 'til there's something that's even more of an upgrade.

Thoughts, anyone?

emdash fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 7, 2013

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Stay away from the 1Ds. It's a capable camera but really overpriced for the feature set and age, the low light performance is pretty poor and it's a total dog for resale. If you are interested in pro models, you can probably get a good deal on a used 1DmkIII for about what that 1Ds is going for. The 7D is still an excellent crop body, though. I'm kinda bummed I sold mine but I couldn't afford both my mark IV and the 7D. Of course, the main question is what would you be using it for?

e: Also, I have a question for the thread. Does anyone have problems with batteries discharging when not used? Is this a normal thing? I don't ever remember it being a problem with my 7D but then I always had the batteries loaded in a grip and not sitting in my bag. I just popped a battery in that I had charged and tested that it was at 100% maybe 2 weeks ago, and now it's at < 50%. This is something I've noticed with my two other batteries (I have 1 Canon, 2 off-brand) as well. Is this normal, something to do with the LP-E4 specifically or do I just have three poo poo batteries?

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 7, 2013

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Would i be foolish to upgrade from my 50D to a 7D? I find that I'm missing focus semi-frequently and i would love to be able to boost that ISO and get some usable shots above ISO 1200. Is the.7D2 going to be announced anytime soon? Will there be a price drop?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Stay away from the 1Ds. It's a capable camera but really overpriced for the feature set and age, the low light performance is pretty poor and it's a total dog for resale. If you are interested in pro models, you can probably get a good deal on a used 1DmkIII for about what that 1Ds is going for. The 7D is still an excellent crop body, though. I'm kinda bummed I sold mine but I couldn't afford both my mark IV and the 7D. Of course, the main question is what would you be using it for?

Ah yeah, I forgot to mention my typical subjects. I mainly do pets and bugs, but also a fair amount of kid photography and fireworks. Museum trips are a priority. I also love to play around with long-exposure night shots in general.

I didn't realize the 1DsII was . . . older, I guess, than the 1DIII, even though the 1DIII is only 10.1 megapixels compared to the 16.7 on the 1DsII. KEH does have the 1DIII for $1149 which is a stretch but maybe doable. It would feel pretty weird to own a full-frame with half the megapixels of my P+S camera though. Makes the 7D/T5i options more enticing in the end, I guess.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

TheQat posted:

Ah yeah, I forgot to mention my typical subjects. I mainly do pets and bugs, but also a fair amount of kid photography and fireworks. Museum trips are a priority. I also love to play around with long-exposure night shots in general.

I didn't realize the 1DsII was . . . older, I guess, than the 1DIII, even though the 1DIII is only 10.1 megapixels compared to the 16.7 on the 1DsII. KEH does have the 1DIII for $1149 which is a stretch but maybe doable. It would feel pretty weird to own a full-frame with half the megapixels of my P+S camera though. Makes the 7D/T5i options more enticing in the end, I guess.

Yeah, I'd probably look more towards the 7D or, if you can make the stretch in cost, the 5DmkII. It doesn't sound like you need a pro body for any reason. Honestly, for what you are shooting, I'd save up for a little bit longer and go with the full frame.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

TheQat posted:

The 1DIII will be drat fast to focus and has high fps. That does not sound like something you stated wanting though. Something I notice with my 1D mkii N is that even stationary subjects seem more "in focus" using all 45 AF points. It's really subtle and might depend on your regular shooting style ( I use a 5D) vs. how you'd use a 1 series body. I really enjoy shooting with the N for the speedy auto-focus. I'd love to try out the 1Ds mk ii because it seems to combine the FF sensor from the 5D and everything else from the 1DII-N. Even though I mostly shoot video for school projects, I will always have a thing for the 1Ds II and I know I will buy one if I find the right used body.

Whether to buy an old 1Ds II body or a newer consumer SLR depends if you are willing to live without modern SLR camera features:

Large and bright LCD screen
Sensor cleaning (A Godsend!!!)
Newer AF points and AF modes
Fast memory card performance
HD video
Cheaper SD memory cards
Using Magic Lantern to shoot crazy HD video formats
Newer, more advanced batteries (New Canon 1D mk II series batteries are not always easy to find)
Flip-out LCD screen (on T3i and newer Rebels and 60D/70D - A indispensable feature for me these days)

...to get really nice old SLR features

Full Frame
Still quite good 1D AF
Full weather sealing (with the right L lens)
Portrait grip
Indestructible body (Heavy cameras balance well with heavy/long glass. My T3i Rebel feels 'dinky' when using a heavy lens)
Good low light performance at ISO 1600

You might just have to get your hands on both options and go with what feels right in your hands and serves your purposes well.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005

TheQat posted:

So far I've looked into a used 7D or 1D from KEH--they have an EX-condition 7D for $850 and an EX-condition 1DS II for $1000. I've always been interested in the full-frame experience but it is an older sensor I guess.

I just want to add to the love for the 7D in here. It really is a very good camera, the only shortcoming it had for me was the high ISO performance. 3200 was the highest i felt like using before the amount of noise in picture just became too much.
Other than that the autofocus, high burst speed, image quality and ergonomics of it are really nice features. Last but not least the built in electronic level is a godsend, I´ll never have a camera without it again!

800peepee51doodoo posted:

e: Also, I have a question for the thread. Does anyone have problems with batteries discharging when not used? Is this a normal thing? I don't ever remember it being a problem with my 7D but then I always had the batteries loaded in a grip and not sitting in my bag. I just popped a battery in that I had charged and tested that it was at 100% maybe 2 weeks ago, and now it's at < 50%. This is something I've noticed with my two other batteries (I have 1 Canon, 2 off-brand) as well. Is this normal, something to do with the LP-E4 specifically or do I just have three poo poo batteries?

I´d say this is not a normal problem. Both the 30D and 7D I used to have could sit for a long time (months) without losing any noticeable amount of power. Even after 4 years my 7D could get over 1000 shots on a single charge that involved sitting unused for a few weeks inbetween (specifically I had taken 1050 shots with 6% charge remaining).

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Turd Nelson posted:

Would i be foolish to upgrade from my 50D to a 7D? I find that I'm missing focus semi-frequently and i would love to be able to boost that ISO and get some usable shots above ISO 1200. Is the.7D2 going to be announced anytime soon? Will there be a price drop?

The sensors in the 50D and 7D are very similar, so you're not going to get an ISO boost. The 7D AF is nice, but I never really have any focusing issues on my 50D. When are you having trouble focusing?

When the 7D was first releaed I was planning on upgrading to it until I found that the ISO was really no different than the 50D. I decided to save the $800 or so and get a 50d with better glass. I haven't regretted that decision.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Arvid posted:

I just want to add to the love for the 7D in here. It really is a very good camera, the only shortcoming it had for me was the high ISO performance. 3200 was the highest i felt like using before the amount of noise in picture just became too much.

I think this is pretty standard for the Digic 4. My T2i and 60D basically can't go above 3200. Well they can but I pretty much have to make the photos black and white in post otherwise they look like garbage unless I'm super lucky with lighting.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

That's the problem, Canon crop sensors really haven't changed much since the 50D (which wasn't much better than a 40D). It sounds like the 70D isn't going to be any better either, so we're all still hosed. I'd like to stick with crop but Canon is making it difficult. I think the 7D2 is going to be our last hope for something better.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
7D2 is very likely getting the same sensor as the 70D. If you expect mad DR, forget it. The chances that it'll act as primer for some new sensor tech, that's been patented recently, are rather slim.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Haggins posted:

That's the problem, Canon crop sensors really haven't changed much since the 50D (which wasn't much better than a 40D). It sounds like the 70D isn't going to be any better either, so we're all still hosed. I'd like to stick with crop but Canon is making it difficult. I think the 7D2 is going to be our last hope for something better.

I thought the 70D was a low-light improvement like the 6D and 5D3?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Marginal improvements aren't considered improvements apparently.

Also the only thing you're purchasing is a sensor.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Wario In Real Life posted:

It's very interesting to see DigitalRev's 70D vs D7100 in comparison to what people (including myself) are saying. Kai and company don't really see many differences between the two in terms of image quality. (though he did not touch on dynamic range) The biggest difference is, naturally, the 70D has the edge in movies. Kai describes most of the differences as "slight" for taking pictures.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Compare to any other manufacturer and yeah, they don't look like major improvements.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

LiquidRain posted:

It's very interesting to see DigitalRev's 70D vs D7100 in comparison to what people (including myself) are saying. Kai and company don't really see many differences between the two in terms of image quality. (though he did not touch on dynamic range) The biggest difference is, naturally, the 70D has the edge in movies. Kai describes most of the differences as "slight" for taking pictures.

I haven't looked at the review but differences in DR are huge and really only appreciated once you bring the photos into LR. I'm not sure that the D7100 is any better though, but DR differences do matter.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Better sensor is the only good reason for me to upgrade. The only thing I can't do well on my 50D is shoot in low light. The other features may be nice to have but I doubt not having them would limit me. Also, I'm sure they won't have any impact on the quality of the final image.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
If you want to get really nit picky, DPreview actually measured an INcrease of shadow noise from the 40D to 50D due to the smaller photosites. :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I remember that now, what the gently caress Canon? I guess I need to get off this sinking crop ship and go to full frame.