Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thumbtacks posted:

The thing with Petra's dad makes me wonder if Petra and Levi were a couple or something.

That scene is anime-original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

No, everything about Levi squads family except Petra's dad was animé original.

bondster
May 6, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

It was already said but yea the thing with Petra's dad was in the manga. This page: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/83611/shingeki-no-kyojin_ch30_by_tdx/40

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

The thing with Petra's dad makes me wonder if Petra and Levi were a couple or something.

At the very least, it implied Petra was a Levi fangirl who joined up with his squad to get close to him.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Y'know in this series it was initially arguable that the Titans were a natural disaster or some human experiment that went out of control. This last atrocity however, well this was planned and executed by humans. So somebodies to blame and I do hope they at some point get theirs, that it's not fun, it's not fast and it does linger.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah I think it's pretty safe to say at this point that some human is pulling the strings here. Whoever the female titan is, they are working for this person, and there is probably more to the normal titans that allows them to be controlled somewhat.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

I said come in! posted:

Yeah I think it's pretty safe to say at this point that some human is pulling the strings here. Whoever the female titan is, they are working for this person, and there is probably more to the normal titans that allows them to be controlled somewhat.

It's minimum three, Colossal Titan, Armored Titan and the Female Titan. Some other people being involved is possible.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente
I don't have nearly as many misgivings about the Anime original content as other people in this thread had, but that being said the entire anime original scene in this episode was fantastic. The whole scene with the patch was amazing and it's really nice to see Levi have some emotions for Petra.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm with you in that I think the anime original content is really good and adds to the story quite a bit. I actually think the manga is pretty boring. I've read a lot of it but recently decided to give up and just stick to the anime. The manga is really not that good and is all over the place. The anime does a lot to fill in gaps.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I said come in! posted:

I'm with you in that I think the anime original content is really good and adds to the story quite a bit. I actually think the manga is pretty boring. I've read a lot of it but recently decided to give up and just stick to the anime. The manga is really not that good and is all over the place. The anime does a lot to fill in gaps.

The trouble with that is that the anime is going to end in three weeks with a huge 'To be continued!' that won't be continued for another 12-18 months, if at all.

Well, unless they spend the last three episodes having Eren kill all the Titans, anyway.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

The trouble with that is that the anime is going to end in three weeks with a huge 'To be continued!' that won't be continued for another 12-18 months, if at all.

Well, unless they spend the last three episodes having Eren kill all the Titans, anyway.

I know. :smith: The wait is going to be painful. I'm sure the show will be continued. It seems to be incredibly popular in Japan from what i've heard.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I said come in! posted:

This does make me wonder if the humans/human-titans will eventually be portrayed in a sorta sympathetic light, as is the case with a lot of shonen-y stuff (or in other words, a situation where it's all "sure they did bad things, but they had reasons!"). But considering the awful things they've done I can't think of anything that would make them even a tiny bit sympathetic.

I said come in! posted:

I know. :smith: The wait is going to be painful. I'm sure the show will be continued. It seems to be incredibly popular in Japan from what i've heard.

Yeah the manga is outselling everything but One Piece. And One Piece is such an unstoppable sales behemoth that there's no shame in 2nd place.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Srice posted:

This does make me wonder if the humans/human-titans will eventually be portrayed in a sorta sympathetic light, as is the case with a lot of shonen-y stuff (or in other words, a situation where it's all "sure they did bad things, but they had reasons!"). But considering the awful things they've done I can't think of anything that would make them even a tiny bit sympathetic.

I fully expect it to be some sort of humans brought this on themselves plot when we get to that point. That doesn't bother me, but i'll be really happy if it's something else.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Has anyone mentioned the SnK Specials yet? I can't find any info on their licensing situation, so I don't know if pointing toward them would be kosher or not? Suffice to say that they're a pretty drat funny offshoot of the main series. Plus, it's got the same VAs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I fully expect it to be some sort of humans brought this on themselves plot when we get to that point. That doesn't bother me, but i'll be really happy if it's something else.

I could see that, since what little we've seen of the aristocracy and the wealthy shows that they're comically greedy and only give a poo poo about themselves so perhaps they could have been responsible for something?

(But then again the titans' actions mostly gently caress over the common folk)

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Well, I don't know how they did it, but they somehow made an episode more depressing than 21. If there's one thing this series has always done well, it's showing that this whole conflict is not glorious in the slightest. This is a cruel conflict for everyone, especially for the Survey Corps. That scene at the end which started with Petra's dad and Eren catching sight of a kid who reminded him all too much of himself before the fall of Wall Maria was genuinely heart-wrenching. As was Levi's reaction to seeing Petra's lifeless body getting thrown off the cart. The cutest member of the Levi Squad meets such an inglorious end. All of child Eren's ideals shattered by the harsh reality of the war against the Titans, now that he's finished his first expedition.

If 21 was marked by Eren's (and by extension, the viewer's) anger toward the Female Titan, this is an intensely sobering episode. Now THIS is an episode that's going to be hard to rewatch.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Srice posted:

I could see that, since what little we've seen of the aristocracy and the wealthy shows that they're comically greedy and only give a poo poo about themselves so perhaps they could have been responsible for something?

(But then again the titans' actions mostly gently caress over the common folk)

It should be noted that most (if not all) of the scenes showing the aristocracy are anime-only.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Genocyber posted:

It should be noted that most (if not all) of the scenes showing the aristocracy are anime-only.

The only thing we've seen was the anime only chess scene AFAIK.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I actually really liked 22, even after learning it was mostly filler. Drives home how awful everything is when even Titan-killing Robot Levi is shown to have emotions. Well, an emotion.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Man, that started off as a cool episode, but quickly turned to hell :smithicide:

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
So what was the deal with Levi's leg in 22? He reacts pretty strongly when he lands on the Titan's hand, which I thought was just concern because now she knew where he was. But then during the titan attack on the way back to the city he seems to look down at his leg and swear, too. It seems more significant than "Ouch, Titans are kind of hot when they don't have skin and I burned my footsies."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

He landed roughly/ off-balance and sprained his ankle or hurt his leg.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He landed roughly/ off-balance and sprained his ankle or hurt his leg.

Yeah, you can clearly see his leg twist (they even do it in slo mo).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Whoopsy daisys, looks like the female titan's faction won anyway, because they managed to get Eren handed over after Erwin's expedition failed.

From the episode previews, it suggests that Armin's trying to smoke Annie's titan transformation out. Just what is that little guy planning?

I guess I'm still convinced Annie got her transformation after she transferred into the military police, and got noticed by someone higher up that she'd make a good candidate. But that leaves the question of what's the motive of the other two human-titans that wrecked the outer walls. They can't be working for the authorities, mainly because that (a) completely goes against the purpose of the MPs: gain and consolidate power, and (b) they could destroy the walls at any time.

Well, considering the show explicitly tells us about factions within the government, why can't there be factions within the human-titans? Maybe Titannie works for the MP-aligned faction, colossal and armoured work for some terrorist faction. In that case, what are their goals? It can't be to simply destroy the nation and its walls, because that's utter suicide as the titans are still hostile to the human-titans.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You reminded me of something. I don't see how the expedition was a total failure considering all that the corps learned (or really just Erwin) about the titans, about their enemies, and about Eren's capabilites. But I guess the politicians won't see it like that.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Phobophilia posted:

I guess I'm still convinced Annie got her transformation after she transferred into the military police, and got noticed by someone higher up that she'd make a good candidate.

Eren's had his power for longer then that, and he still can't completely control it. I don't think anyone would be able to master a Titan form in that short a period of time, so most likely she's had it for a long while.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

ViggyNash posted:

You reminded me of something. I don't see how the expedition was a total failure considering all that the corps learned (or really just Erwin) about the titans, about their enemies, and about Eren's capabilites. But I guess the politicians won't see it like that.

They nearly lost Eren, wasted hundreds of hours of gas and blades (especially given that blades are made of specific minerals we have to assume their supply of them is finite) and other resources, made no progress in capturing new territory and all they have to show for it is bodies that they didn't even manage to return with. Sure, knowing that there are others like Eren is useful, but the costs involved are kind of staggering. Add in that it seems a lot of people are okay with the status quo and from Armin's little sum up we can assume were already questioning why they were bothering to fund the Survey Corp and well, a failure this great by itself demands change and the easiest change is shuttering what probably seems like a boondoggle.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Heliotrope posted:

Eren's had his power for longer then that, and he still can't completely control it. I don't think anyone would be able to master a Titan form in that short a period of time, so most likely she's had it for a long while.

A giant combat arena and a fast-tracked training regime. They control the capital, they have the resources. Besides, Annie has her poo poo more together anyway.

And unfortunately, whatever they learn from this expedition (fighting a human-titan) is probably top secret and utterly classified, the civilians can bitch all they want. This ain't a democracy.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
So since people where talking about how obvious who the Armoured Titan was from it's appearance, I googled it to jog my memory about its appearance. That was a mistake. Whichever Muppet wrote the top ranked Wiki article is an idiot.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Calico Noose posted:

So since people where talking about how obvious who the Armoured Titan was from it's appearance, I googled it to jog my memory about its appearance. That was a mistake. Whichever Muppet wrote the top ranked Wiki article is an idiot.
No one should go to the AoT wiki unless they want everything spoiled forever. I don't know who's in charge of managing that site but they're doing a rather poor job of it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Soulcleaver posted:

No one should go to the AoT wiki unless they want everything spoiled forever. I don't know who's in charge of managing that site but they're doing a rather poor job of it.

You don't have to read the wiki, it's listed in the google result.

If you want to remain unspoiled, don't google anything.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Bremen posted:

That's even more egregiously terrible. gently caress.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Bremen posted:

You don't have to read the wiki, it's listed as the first google result. If you want to remain unspoiled, don't google anything.
Ha ha what the hell, that loving wiki. What were they thinking?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fan wikis tend to have the most up to date information so that's to be expected, really. They don't restrict themselves to anime only content, nor should they.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Bremen posted:

Oh wow it's not just a result it's the top result, what the gently caress.

At least there are still some secrets left unspoiled.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Man the rest of humanity loving sucks. Oh no, my taxes! It's like they don't realize they're under siege by hordes of giant monsters.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Well, they're complaining about their taxes being spent to send people to their horrible, violent deaths outside of the walls, and none of the expeditions have resulted in anything but more corpses.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
Considering that humanity's response to the titans up until a few years ago was to stick their fingers in their ears and go, "LALALA, can't hear you," that attitude isn't really that surprising. That whole Colossal Titan thing was a fluke. Both times.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

onepixeljumpman posted:

Considering that humanity's response to the titans up until a few years ago was to stick their fingers in their ears and go, "LALALA, can't hear you," that attitude isn't really that surprising. That whole Colossal Titan thing was a fluke. Both times.

And a lot of the country didn't even know the attack happened. Communication travels very slowly. The way I understood it is humanity use to be way more advance before the titans showed up. So not only did the titans nearly wiped humanity out, but they set them back hundreds of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Soulcleaver posted:

? Why would they limit it to anime only? That's pretty dumb to think. Of course they're going to keep it up to date with the source material.

• Locked thread