Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

JDM3 posted:

Actually, drip coffee has the highest caffeine content - I'm not sure of the exact amounts, but espresso has perhaps 50% as much, but then lots of people have double shots...

Actually it's french press that does. Caffeine content in coffee is largely related to brew time so a full steep in a french press is going to get the most caffeine out of a coffee bean. By serving size, espresso has the least amount of caffeine out of any brew method so anyone who talks about the whole boost thing it's in their head. A latte is going to have less caffeine for the same sized cup than just a cup of drip brewed coffee. Beyond that, coffee used for espresso tends to be darker in roast which also reduces the amount of caffeine in the beans themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

rockcity posted:

Actually it's french press that does. Caffeine content in coffee is largely related to brew time so a full steep in a french press is going to get the most caffeine out of a coffee bean. By serving size, espresso has the least amount of caffeine out of any brew method so anyone who talks about the whole boost thing it's in their head. A latte is going to have less caffeine for the same sized cup than just a cup of drip brewed coffee. Beyond that, coffee used for espresso tends to be darker in roast which also reduces the amount of caffeine in the beans themselves.

That doesn't sound entirely right. I don't feel like going in to look at the hard copy of the journal, but assuming that the wikipedia article on the caffeine content of coffee copied the data correctly, 2 oz of espresso has almost as much caffeine as a 7 oz of drip coffee. I don't know what it means by brewed in this case, though I would assume it means something like French press. Granted, caffeine content varies on both the roast level and brewing method so that could be an artifact of what roast level was chosen. The Mayo Clinic page listing some caffeine contents also shows roughly the same results, though it again uses the fairly generic term of brewed. This is all of course, dependent on the methods, which I can't access due to one article not being available electronically (to me anyways) and Mayo Clinic being terrible at citations.

I like how you say that espresso has the least amount of caffeine and then use the comparison of a drink that tends to be like an eight fold (or at best four fold) dilution. Even if your comparison is accurate (which it is), that has no bearing on the relative caffeine concentration unless you also dilute the drip or french press by an identical proportion. If you mean that people think they're getting more caffeine out of things like lattes just because it's an "espresso drink" yeah that's dumb since it's diluted.

By the way I'm only going from a concentration perspective. In reality people don't drink the same amount of espresso as they do drip coffee because that would probably induce some twitching.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 6, 2013

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

kirtar posted:

That doesn't sound entirely right. I don't feel like going in to look at the hard copy of the journal, but assuming that the wikipedia article on the caffeine content of coffee copied the data correctly, 2 oz of espresso has almost as much caffeine as a 7 oz of drip coffee. I don't know what it means by brewed in this case, though I would assume it means something like French press. Granted, caffeine content varies on both the roast level and brewing method so that could be an artifact of what roast level was chosen. The Mayo Clinic page listing some caffeine contents also shows roughly the same results, though it again uses the fairly generic term of brewed. This is all of course, dependent on the methods, which I can't access due to one article not being available electronically (to me anyways) and Mayo Clinic being terrible at citations.

I like how you say that espresso has the least amount of caffeine and then use the comparison of a drink that tends to be like an eight fold (or at best four fold) dilution. Even if your comparison is accurate (which it is), that has no bearing on the relative caffeine concentration unless you also dilute the drip or french press by an identical proportion. If you mean that people think they're getting more caffeine out of things like lattes just because it's an "espresso drink" yeah that's dumb since it's diluted.

By the way I'm only going from a concentration perspective. In reality people don't drink the same amount of espresso as they do drip coffee because that would probably induce some twitching.

That is why I said by serving size. A shot of espresso is 1 oz, 2oz is a double shot and two servings. The serving size for coffee (drip or french press) is typically between 6-8oz. So yes, by the ounce, espresso has more caffeine, but not by the serving. The reason I noted a latte, at least what most people (i.e. people buying coffee at Starbucks) think of for latte serving size is anywhere between 12-20 oz. That cup has a double shot of espresso and the rest is milk. I'll be conservative and use the 12oz cup for example. In a 12oz cup there are roughly two servings of either espresso or coffee. So that 12oz cup of coffee is going to have more caffeine than that 12oz cup of 2oz of espresso and 10 oz of milk, which is the opposite of what most people think. It gets even more exaggerated with a 20z where now a cup of coffee vs. a latte has around 3x the caffeine.

Hibbie
May 10, 2013

The name 'Tonic Wine' does not imply health giving or medicinal properties.

nwin posted:

Agreed with everyone else recommending a keurig for her.

My wife adds a gallon of loving creamer to a cup of coffee, and when I started to get spergy about coffee, she ate it up and I bought better beans for her for a bit but then I got curious. So one week I used some really old beans, the next week I used some crappy pre ground stuff we had lying around.

Guess what? She couldn't taste the difference because she adds too much creamer.

So now I have a reusable k-cup that I fill up with coffee and I buy her whatever flavor creamer she wants. The money I save on buying she xx coffee, I use to spend on the good stuff for me. :getin:

You sir, are winning at life.

My good lady isn't a coffee drinker. She abhors the stuff. Shame, it's one of my very few true pleasures in life - experimenting with different types of the joyous black stuff.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

kirtar posted:

Ya, I think it's all about servings, bottom line is that a serving of espresso has less caffeine than a serving of coffee. And that if someone thinks a latte is giving them a more of a 'jolt' than a cup of coffee then it's pretty much all in their head. I don't get why you're all pissy and snarky with rockcity on this?

I think that 'citations' aside, reality contravenes common wisdom, an espresso doesn't have more caffeine that a cup, and dark roasted coffee beans have less caffeine than lighter roasts.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

rockcity posted:

It gets even more exaggerated with a 20z where now a cup of coffee vs. a latte has around 3x the caffeine.
It probably doesn't help that there's the same amount of caffeine in the 16 oz servings as the 20 oz servings. In fact, unless something changed, it's actually worse than what you said (based on Starbucks for the sake of stereotype). In the 12 oz latte I think there's only a single, and a double is used for both the 16 and 20 oz servings. For some reason I thought I read something about concentration (or interpreted equivalent serving as equivalent volume) :downs:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

kirtar posted:

It probably doesn't help that there's the same amount of caffeine in the 16 oz servings as the 20 oz servings. In fact, unless something changed, it's actually worse than what you said (based on Starbucks for the sake of stereotype). In the 12 oz latte I think there's only a single, and a double is used for both the 16 and 20 oz servings. For some reason I thought I read something about concentration (or interpreted equivalent serving as equivalent volume) :downs:

No worries, just wanted to make sure things were clear on verbiage. I think most people just assume that because the flavor is stronger and it's more concentrated that it has more caffeine. It's roughly the same amount of ground coffee, but the time it takes to extract it is what affects how much caffeine comes out of the coffee itself (ignoring roast). Espresso has the least by serving, then probably aeropress, drip coffee is next, then probably something like a clever, followed by french press.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.
Got a Capresso 560 and played around with it - am happy with the consistent grounds I am getting, but it does tend to grind rather fine. I am at the beginning of the medium range with my aeropress grind, I would have expected it to be finer. Haven't gone down to "Turkish" yet, (no need) but I suppose I should just to see.

In any case, I am definitely not liking the El Salvadoran coffee I roasted the other day. Has a bitter or sour taste that I can't seem to make go away. Perhaps it was under-roasted, however I went past first crack and just into second with it. I also have adjusted grind size (bigger) and brew time (shorter). I guess it's possible I just found something I don't like.

In any case, this weekend I'll roast up something else...

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

rockcity posted:

No worries, just wanted to make sure things were clear on verbiage. I think most people just assume that because the flavor is stronger and it's more concentrated that it has more caffeine. It's roughly the same amount of ground coffee, but the time it takes to extract it is what affects how much caffeine comes out of the coffee itself (ignoring roast). Espresso has the least by serving, then probably aeropress, drip coffee is next, then probably something like a clever, followed by french press.

Aeropress depends a bit on the method used (e.g. Inverted vs following the manufacturer's instructions), but I don't know what amount of steep time drip gets.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Mordiceius posted:

I'm asking this on behalf of my wife, as I don't drink coffee.

We're trying to figure out which coffee maker to get her. Originally, I was just going to say a Kuerig but I guess that's a bad idea from reading the OP.

She loves coffee. She has gotten to the point where every day she gets a mocha or latte from Starbucks. We have a cheap $20 drip coffee pot at home but she says it's not strong enough for her and she prefers the boost from espresso.

Another reason she loves Starbucks is just the convenience of it. She doesn't want something that takes a ton of time to make. We were looking to spend $100-$200 on a coffee solution for her. Anyone have any suggestions? Sorry this is so vague, I really know very little about coffee drinks.

If she drinks lattes and mochas, you are probably better off getting an espresso machine so she can foam up some milk to go with. What about those fancy pants Starbucks machines that use exclusive pods of coffee and milk? I'm personally not a fan and think they create too much waste (maybe the pods can be recycled?) but it's gotta be better than the "lattes" made from Keurigs.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

frenchnewwave posted:

If she drinks lattes and mochas, you are probably better off getting an espresso machine so she can foam up some milk to go with. What about those fancy pants Starbucks machines that use exclusive pods of coffee and milk? I'm personally not a fan and think they create too much waste (maybe the pods can be recycled?) but it's gotta be better than the "lattes" made from Keurigs.

I think the Starbucks machines you are talking about (Tassimos are starbucks branded, I think?) will give pretty much the same result (unless those machines somehow foam the milk)... I've seen kcup combos of milk & coffee separate as well. The only capsule coffee system I know that can foam milk properly are the Nespresso ones, and the milk foaming ones are $200+ I believe. I guess he could get a thermoblock espresso machine, but then she'd have to grind & steam the milk herself.

I believe the most basic option (milk foamer is attached but you have to add milk in yourself, pour separately, etc) is $299, and the one-touch options are going to be ~500 I think.

Also, the coffee sperg in me would love to see some journals or whatever comparing the caffeine content, so I can actually present proof when I say fp coffee gives the most caffeine. :P

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Mordiceius posted:

I'm asking this on behalf of my wife, as I don't drink coffee.

We're trying to figure out which coffee maker to get her. Originally, I was just going to say a Kuerig but I guess that's a bad idea from reading the OP.

She loves coffee. She has gotten to the point where every day she gets a mocha or latte from Starbucks. We have a cheap $20 drip coffee pot at home but she says it's not strong enough for her and she prefers the boost from espresso.

Another reason she loves Starbucks is just the convenience of it. She doesn't want something that takes a ton of time to make. We were looking to spend $100-$200 on a coffee solution for her. Anyone have any suggestions? Sorry this is so vague, I really know very little about coffee drinks.

For my friend who loves starbucks sugarbombs, what I'd make her is this: Stovetop espresso pot, French press for "foaming" milk, simple syrup (usually made from scratch with whatever sugar/flavours I had on hand :v:)

You can probably try a Moka Pot, its more expensive than a plain one, but might be "espresso" enough for her. I like them because they're pretty hands off once you figure out what temperature on your stove works the best. Grounds in, screw together, put on stove. Go make/eat breakfast and microwave some sugarmilk, dumb finished moka pot, enjoy.

Speaking of SOs with different coffee opinions/tastes, my boyfriend honestly wondered why when I made coffee it always tasted better than when he did. For a while he thought that just whole beans would make it better, but he'd buy the cheapest stuff in bulk and let it go super, super stale. He can taste the difference, but he... just doesn't get how quickly oxygen exposure makes things go stale. Also that if he uses half the stale grounds and brews them twice as long, even if you grind from whole in a french press... you're just going to get black sadness in a cup.
(He knows better now)

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I decided to try a Bodum French press based on the rantings and ravings of the hipster coffee snobs in this thread. I've come to the conclusion that it's all hype. My Keurig makes better coffee. In fact, the stuff out of the French press tasted like battery acid and really upset my stomach. And it was a lot of work to make.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cmdrmonkey posted:

I decided to try a Bodum French press based on the rantings and ravings of the hipster coffee snobs in this thread. I've come to the conclusion that it's all hype. My Keurig makes better coffee. In fact, the stuff out of the French press tasted like battery acid and really upset my stomach. And it was a lot of work to make.

Did you grind freshly roasted beans right before preparing with it?

EDIT: vvvv Alright, just wanted to make sure you weren't running with preground.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 8, 2013

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Yes. Coarsely ground. Let it steep for four minutes. Slowly pushed the plunger. Got coffee that tasted like crap. Lots of work for a disappointing cup of oily, acidy coffee.

I know hipsters hate things that are popular. But have you guys ever considered that the Keurig might be popular because it's a good system that solves most of the issues with making coffee through modern technology?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sounds like you don't actually like coffee.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Alternatively, get a CCD.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sounds like you don't actually like coffee.

Not true. I just think the French press is overrated. There's nothing even French about it. It was invented by an Italian, and the French don't even drink regular coffee for the most part. They drink espresso. And the coffee that came out of it tasted like buttcrack. I'd take it back to the store if I hadn't lost the receipt. I think I'll just chalk this up to hipsters hyping something outdated and inconvenient because it goes against the mainstream.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 8, 2013

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Cmdrmonkey posted:

Not true. I just think the French press is overrated. There's nothing even French about it. It was invented by an Italian, and the French don't even drink regular coffee for the most part. They drink espresso. And the coffee that came out of it tasted like buttcrack. I'd take it back to the store if I hadn't lost the receipt.

Sometimes it takes a bit of experimentation to get a good cup. I mean, there must be a reason so many people enjoy french press coffee..

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I don't think I've seen a third wave coffee shop get excited about press pot in years. Usually the brew of choice is pourover. Lately a lot are sperging poetic about cold brew drip or maybe kalita wave. And of course there is the ubiquitous espresso doled out by a loudly painted marzocco or a pavoni. So yeah, no coffee hipsters are pushing press pots on anyone.

The keurig is inherently a bad system because it ruins coffee in every single way it can. It doesn't solve anything except how to make lovely office coffee significantly more expensive than it has to be.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 8, 2013

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Cmdrmonkey posted:

Not true. I just think the French press is overrated. There's nothing even French about it. It was invented by an Italian, and the French don't even drink regular coffee for the most part. They drink espresso. And the coffee that came out of it tasted like buttcrack. I'd take it back to the store if I hadn't lost the receipt. I think I'll just chalk this up to hipsters hyping something outdated and inconvenient because it goes against the mainstream.

Such open hostility makes it clear you didn't really approach this unbiased. Coffee nerds are like all nerds. You can get 90% of the improvement with 10% of the effort and cost, but that doesn't mean there's no diff, nor that it isn't worth it to some. Keurig does solve some issues. Quick, single cups that can be quite as good as typical shared office drip coffee. But it can't match carefully made, good coffee.

And for those saying if someone puts cream and sugar they can't appreciate the better/best coffees, they're wrong, too.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Cmdrmonkey posted:

Put 38g of quite coarsely ground coffee into the Italian press. By coarse, I mean a little bit coarser than you'd normally have for regular drip filter coffee, not lightly mashing some beans with your hams and dropping that in the glass. Pour 20oz of 200 degree water into this, leave it sit for 4 minutes. Press, drink, if your keurig tastes better then you've bought a really lovely kind of coffee or you don't have the ability to taste flavors.

I mean, everyone's opinion is different on what tastes good or not but saying that the keurig is significantly (or frankly, even mildly) better than the ~*italian*~ press is like saying White Castle frozen cheeseburgers are frankly always better than anyone can make at home and making your own is just for those dang awful hipsters with the morrissey haircuts and the iTelephone.

Punzilupo
Jul 2, 2004

Apparently, in Australia they just call the thing a "coffee plunger". seems apt.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

If you are unimpressed with French Press, but want a traditional cup of joe, you should try a percolator pot. We make a pot every Sunday, it takes longer but it makes great coffee.

Thufir posted:

Finely ground and drip brewed using one of these http://www.amazon.com/Importfood-Vi...nch+drip+filter

Thanks! There are about 500 videos on YouTube, too, so I should have started there. Seems that they like chicory in their coffee? Not sure that I've had that before. What does it taste like?

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Whalley posted:

I mean, everyone's opinion is different on what tastes good or not but saying that the keurig is significantly (or frankly, even mildly) better than the ~*italian*~ press is like saying White Castle frozen cheeseburgers are frankly always better than anyone can make at home and making your own is just for those dang awful hipsters with the morrissey haircuts and the iTelephone.

No, who are we kidding. The guy clearly has us (and the rest of the world) figured out. It was a good run while it lasted though, wasn't it? I was in the process of turning my fixie into a pedal powered espresso milk frother, but why bother? Now everyone knows that the emperor has no clothes.

Will the last one here please turn off the lights?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

If you are unimpressed with French Press, but want a traditional cup of joe, you should try a percolator pot. We make a pot every Sunday, it takes longer but it makes great coffee.

Thanks! There are about 500 videos on YouTube, too, so I should have started there. Seems that they like chicory in their coffee? Not sure that I've had that before. What does it taste like?

You think that if he thinks french press is a lot of work that he'd want to do a percolator? It's pretty hilarious that he finds french press a lot of work since aside from a drip brewer, it's one of the easiest ways to make coffee.

On a related note, I'm living with a family member for a couple months while my house is being built and they have a Keurig. I decided to buy one of the re-useable filter cups so I could grind my own freshly roasted coffee and see if it would work. It still makes awful coffee. I think the bigger issue is that it doesn't hold enough coffee grounds. What comes out tastes really overextracted. I gave up on it after a few tries and now I just use the french press I brought with me as a backup.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I've had percolator coffee before and it was pretty good. My mother in law sometimes uses one. I'd say a percolator is worth the extra work. French press, not so much.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 8, 2013

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cmdrmonkey posted:

I've had percolator coffee before and it was pretty good. My mother in law sometimes uses one. I'd say a percolator is worth the extra work. French press, not so much.

Honestly dude, just get a CCD. It's pretty much the easiest way to get decent quality coffee and it's not expensive. Just throw finely ground fresh roasted beans into one of them with a rinsed out paper filter, pour appropriate temperature water in there, and set it on top of your cup in 4 minutes. Stirring at 1 minute optional, but might help?

FEdit: You'll probably still need to gently caress around with your ratio of coffee:water, though.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Okay, I haven't used my virtuoso for a while, and I think the grind setting got messed up during shipping when I moved. Can someone post pictures of what the grinds should look like for drip/aeropress/french press? The numbers I have memorized don't seem to match anymore, and I am pretty bad with trying to remember grind size :v: (IE: I would be "this looks like a filter grind!" when it was more like a fp...)

Also, hubbub coffee, being sold out of a truck in University City, was pretty good. I only tried the cold-brewed ice coffee, but it was tasty. They apparently use stumptown beans. I'll try out a proper drink next time, like an espresso shot or something.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Squashy Nipples posted:

IDK what chicory is but in Vietnam it is just poured over condensed milk and ice. It's super sweet thanks to the milk and I'm pretty sure they roast their beans with butter involved or something. I drank so much of it when I was there, was so yummy

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cmdrmonkey posted:

Yes. Coarsely ground. Let it steep for four minutes. Slowly pushed the plunger. Got coffee that tasted like crap. Lots of work for a disappointing cup of oily, acidy coffee.
What kind of grinder are you using?

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

King of Solomon posted:

Honestly dude, just get a CCD. It's pretty much the easiest way to get decent quality coffee and it's not expensive. Just throw finely ground fresh roasted beans into one of them with a rinsed out paper filter, pour appropriate temperature water in there, and set it on top of your cup in 4 minutes. Stirring at 1 minute optional, but might help?

FEdit: You'll probably still need to gently caress around with your ratio of coffee:water, though.

Finely ground coffee? I was under the impression that CCD coffee should be medium to coarse because it sits in the dripper for four minutes.

I'm fond of letting it sit for three minutes and thirty seconds myself. :spergin:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Cmdrmonkey posted:

Have you tried different coffee in it? I have purchased coffee that was bad before. The coffee was decidedly bad, not my technique. If you are using a bad batch or just bad coffee then however you make it won't change a thing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GrAviTy84 posted:

I don't think I've seen a third wave coffee shop get excited about press pot in years. Usually the brew of choice is pourover. Lately a lot are sperging poetic about cold brew drip or maybe kalita wave. And of course there is the ubiquitous espresso doled out by a loudly painted marzocco or a pavoni. So yeah, no coffee hipsters are pushing press pots on anyone.

The keurig is inherently a bad system because it ruins coffee in every single way it can. It doesn't solve anything except how to make lovely office coffee significantly more expensive than it has to be.

Temple still uses press pots (at least at the original location), and it really brings things down. I really don't like their coffee in the store.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Cmdrmonkey posted:

Press pot is just one of many ways to brew. Anyone who says any one of these is THE way to brew coffee is just taking the phrase "I like coffee made this way" to an unnecessary superlative. By this definition, every way of brewing coffee is overrated by someone.

Nomenclature issues are nomenclature issues. French fries aren't French either, Moon Pies ain't got any moon in them and the Pennsylvania Dutch... not Dutch. Get over it.

Throw in a little Everything That's Old is New Again, some Let's Try This New Way to Push Water Past Toasted Seeds, and boom... welcome to modern coffee.

Anyway, you're throwing the baby out with the bath water on this. What beans were you even using? It could be that that specific bean didn't sit with you as press pot. It could've been the grind was TOO coarse, the water not hot enough, or the steep time not long enough. As most brew techniques, there's variables in play here. I'm not sure what actual buttcrack tastes like, but I'm suspecting by other things you said you tasted bitter and burned. If that's the case, I would say the beans were roasted too dark. If there was that much oil in the cup, that'd be my only guess. If you tasted sour, then I would say your water temperature was too low.

Other than that, it could just be preference.

Anyway, barring you having over-roasted beans that may not get you what you want regardless: 1. Use water just off the boil, 200+ F, 2. Steep for 4 minutes, 3. FIND a grind that a. Gets you a mild sweet flavor, b. Doesn't get bitter, c. Doesn't slip through the screen on your pot.

Once you nail the grind for that bean (oh and yes, it can change between beans...), and your water situation is rock solid, then start tuning your steep time for your tastes of sweet/bitter.

Or, you might just not like press pot. Though it looks like you're trying really hard to not like it. Hipsters or no, you can make drat good coffee out of a press pot. Hipsters or no, it's still water temp, grind and time.

Edit:

On a totally unrelated note, I took our standard ice cream base and threw in a double shot of Guatemalan / Ethiopian blend I roasted on Saturday. Got to try it last night and wow... home made ice cream rules, yes, but home made coffee ice cream is just dreamy.

Alleric fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 9, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I would like to make that ice cream. What do you mean by a doubleshot?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Steve Yun posted:

I would like to make that ice cream. What do you mean by a doubleshot?

It probably means two shots of espresso (roughly 2 oz)

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

kirtar posted:

It probably means two shots of espresso (roughly 2 oz)

Yep, a double pull off of my espresso machine.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Just placed my order for a CCD, curious to see how it will stack up against the Aeropress. I think I was probably making things too strong with the AP (not adding any water after plunging) - this time I'll follow some of the youtube vids for the CCD.

Does anyone have a list of coffee roasters in the UK? I'd like to avoid mail ordering if possible, postage almost costs as much as the coffee. I'm not up for home roasting (yet...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Slimchandi posted:

Just placed my order for a CCD, curious to see how it will stack up against the Aeropress. I think I was probably making things too strong with the AP (not adding any water after plunging) - this time I'll follow some of the youtube vids for the CCD.

Does anyone have a list of coffee roasters in the UK? I'd like to avoid mail ordering if possible, postage almost costs as much as the coffee. I'm not up for home roasting (yet...)

Are you in London? There's shitloads there. I have the Has Bean subscription thing, it's good value at about £4 to £5 per 250g but it's a big initial expense, I'd definitely recommend it if you drink loads of coffee, you get to try so many different beans (52 a year to be precise!)