Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Buller posted:

It's called a series mate

This is very true. I apologise. I have clearly been indoctrinated by our transatlantic cousins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

ThomasPaine posted:

This is very true. I apologise. I have clearly been indoctrinated by our transatlantic cousins.

It's ok, you're point was so true that it doesn't matter :)

The last series was just boring, which for me is the worst thing you can say about a comedy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, outside of the paintball episode, which was admittedly genius, if only because every time Mark and Super Hans interact, it produces comedy gold.

But then again, Peep Show peaked at the end of series 4, with the wedding episode.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah, they just obviously didn't really know where to go with it. It's kind of inevitable though, as Mitchell and Webb are both getting a little too old to be believable as Jez and Mark. They've been signed for another two series though I think so god knows how they're going to do that. I could see one of them being a gimmicky epilogue with them as old men or something though, which could be fun.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

VogeGandire posted:

every time Mark and Super Hans interact, it produces comedy gold.

This is so true. However, I reckon one of Peep Show's strengths is how it doesn't overplay it's hand with Super Hans. He's the best character in it, but most other shows would have made him a lot more prominent and just drove the joke into the ground. Look at how poo poo someone like Moe has become in the Simpsons (possibly a bad example, as the show itself is pretty awful now, but you know what I mean). Hans is in maybe 2-3 episodes per series and is always brilliant, but if he was in every one the joke would wear thin very quickly.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I really like the parallels, Mike wondering if hes gay in the same episodes as Hans and Jez trades blowjobs. Both of them loving things up at work and so, its cool, its like the Wire.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Like crack, it is quite Moreish.

There were a few clunker moments in the last series though. Maybe the just needed a break? I'll give the next one a chance of course.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mickolution posted:

This is so true. However, I reckon one of Peep Show's strengths is how it doesn't overplay it's hand with Super Hans. He's the best character in it, but most other shows would have made him a lot more prominent and just drove the joke into the ground. Look at how poo poo someone like Moe has become in the Simpsons (possibly a bad example, as the show itself is pretty awful now, but you know what I mean). Hans is in maybe 2-3 episodes per series and is always brilliant, but if he was in every one the joke would wear thin very quickly.

Sorry, you must be thinking of Johnson :colbert:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Rarity posted:

Actually, that reminds me why I found the last series to be so off. Pretty much all of the major supporting characters just vanished. Gerard died, Johnson and Jeff both had very small cameo appearances, Sophie just flat out disappeared. I always felt that despite the main players always being Mark and Jez, the supporting cast and the chemistry amongst them was a major factor in its success. It was also odd that the new supporting characters seemed to be more or less extras from the earlier series who'd been promoted.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Wait, TWO more series of Peep Show? I thought the next one was the last one...

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, they just obviously didn't really know where to go with it. It's kind of inevitable though, as Mitchell and Webb are both getting a little too old to be believable as Jez and Mark. They've been signed for another two series though I think so god knows how they're going to do that. I could see one of them being a gimmicky epilogue with them as old men or something though, which could be fun.
I think there are two ways to end Peep Show; Jez and Mark move away from each other (either out of sheer hatred or because they've actually matured as people) or they grow old together and end up like Steptoe and Son, bickering for eternity.

That said, Mark should marry that student he met at his old uni and Jez should marry Big Suze or Nancy and then they all live happily ever after in a cottage with their children and 101 dalmatians the end :colbert:.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I think the Good End would be that they move out, because they both realize they can survive on their own.

But because this is Peep Show, we all know Good Ends don't happen. One or both of them will die.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

VogeGandire posted:

But because this is Peep Show, we all know Good Ends don't happen. One or both of them will die.
Jez should accidentally get Mark sent to prison for a long stretch (perhaps linking back to the season 1 "pedo!" storyline), then rationalise not doing the right thing to get him out. Mark would continue to tolerate Jez, Jez being the only visitor he ever gets.

That strikes me as the right amount of despair.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Rarity posted:

Yeah, the same argument could be made for him. Fantastic supporting character, but not over used.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Jez should accidentally get Mark sent to prison for a long stretch (perhaps linking back to the season 1 "pedo!" storyline), then rationalise not doing the right thing to get him out. Mark would continue to tolerate Jez, Jez being the only visitor he ever gets.

That strikes me as the right amount of despair.

I have also thought that one of them going to prison would be a good way to end it.

Or even better, through a string of poor decisions they both accidentally kill someone and hide the body. Then they have to seperate forever because they remind each other too much of the guilt.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Captain Mediocre posted:

I have also thought that one of them going to prison would be a good way to end it.

I don't think they'll do this, as it's too close to the end of Seinfeld.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, outside of the paintball episode, which was admittedly genius, if only because every time Mark and Super Hans interact, it produces comedy gold.

But then again, Peep Show peaked at the end of series 4, with the wedding episode.

The paintball ep had one of my favourite peep show lines ever "i think ive been bored since 9/11, it was just such GOOD news, not good news obviously, but nothing else compares"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ponce de Le0n posted:

The paintball ep had one of my favourite peep show lines ever "i think ive been bored since 9/11, it was just such GOOD news, not good news obviously, but nothing else compares"

The drawing straws scene still cracks me up. "I don't make the rules!" "...yes, you do."

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
"moonlight, lake, Cardigan - perfect"

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

wrong tab :/

Cerv fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 8, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Errrr.......

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

"Cous cous, my tasteless misery sand"

Vernon Kay is anchoring NFL highlights on Channel 4. That man has had the most spectacularly bizarre career trajectory. There was a time when he was one of the most sought after TV presenters and then he decided to go into early evening light entertainment game shows and it all slipped away.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Mickolution posted:

but most other shows
Ahem?

Actually I've given up on using programme and series online. Saying season and show is generally much clearer cut (also programme is difficult to spell).

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sri.Theo posted:

Ahem?

Actually I've given up on using programme and series online. Saying season and show is generally much clearer cut (also programme is difficult to spell).

Also show and season are so much easier to say. There have been 10 series? serieses? serie?

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Blimey mate (pal?), how difficult is it just say series?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Sri.Theo posted:

Ahem?

I would say "show" is perfectly fine. There's a long history of programs with the word "show" in the title on this side of the Atlantic.

edit: but this is a silly argument that will more than likely lead to a derail.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

The programme's seriese's's were shown across the four season's.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also show and season are so much easier to say. There have been 10 series? serieses? serie?

The plural of series is series.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
More shows need to do it the American way. The best part is when a season has a mid-season break and resumes a year later, it's very handy that shows like Doctor Who are doing it as well now. So when I say "last series" I'm probably talking about an episode from three years ago.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

reality_groove posted:

"Cous cous, my tasteless misery sand"

Vernon Kay is anchoring NFL highlights on Channel 4. That man has had the most spectacularly bizarre career trajectory. There was a time when he was one of the most sought after TV presenters and then he decided to go into early evening light entertainment game shows and it all slipped away.

How did Vernon Kay get so big in the first place? It's like everyone in television was hankering for a return to the days of Northern presenters (who have mostly turned out to be amongst a bunch of rotten paedos), and so they all clamoured for the one guy who fit that best-forgotten role, only to not realise that nobody at home gave a poo poo if they were from North or South or wherever the gently caress.

Basically what I'm saying is everyone in television is useless, and probably a paedophile.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He was the T4 guy wasn't he. Which meant he was down with the kids, and so his mere presence could be relied upon to pull in the valuable teenage demographic.

Except it didn't.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Still on the subject of Peep Show, rewatching some of it today reminded me of my favourite line of the entire show.

"The familiar gut punch of pain and confusion is back. Hello, old friend."

It's just the delivery of it. It's absolutely perfect.

Pestilent Liebe
Jun 17, 2004

The mousy girl screams, "Violence! Violence!"
I'm actually looking forward to this as Peepshow comes to an end. http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001072/

I wouldn't mind a Super Hans spin-off. Or a spin-off of Paul Daniels from Bronson. Or maybe just anything Matt King :unsmith:.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

qntm posted:

The plural of series is series.

I find that really uncomfortable to say. Brings back painful memories of sunday school and arguing over "in Jesus' name"

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!
Vernon Kay plays american football for some English team so that'd be why he hosts the highlights.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

goatface posted:

He was the T4 guy wasn't he. Which meant he was down with the kids, and so his mere presence could be relied upon to pull in the valuable teenage demographic.

Except it didn't.

I remember seeing an interview when he was getting the big Saturday Night Gameshow slots where he was just going on and on about how he'd always idolised Bruce Forsyth and all his dreams were coming true at once etc. Was weird as gently caress. I think he maybe is just a very thick, happy dude, so good luck to him I suppose.

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

Squalitude posted:

More shows need to do it the American way. The best part is when a season has a mid-season break and resumes a year later, it's very handy that shows like Doctor Who are doing it as well now. So when I say "last series" I'm probably talking about an episode from three years ago.

Oh don't go blaming us Americans for the stunning mismanagement of funds behind the scenes at Doctor Who.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Scribbles posted:

Vernon Kay plays american football for some English team so that'd be why he hosts the highlights.

Yeah, he's been the go-to celebrity for American Football in the UK for years. I'd say a lot of him doing the highlights show is that he just loves the game. Maybe he has his eye on anchoring live coverage or something, too.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
He gets presenting deals for the same reason Dermot O'Leary and Ant and Dec get presenting deals, they make it look really easy and fun, can corpse onstage and work with it, and have enough of a personality that people enjoy watching them across different shows. And it's not like those shows aren't popular enough to get big money and exposure, 'enlightened' goons might not watch Family Fortunes/X Factor or Red or Black, but there's 8-10 million people out there who do.

You realise how hard it must be when you watch someone like Nick Grimshaw/ Russell Kane try and fail spectacularly at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Caught up on Educating Yorkshire yesterday, and it was great. The little gruff kid who was all "the big man shoots the gun, the bigger man walks away" or whatever made me :3:

When Kamerran got excluded and the teachers were in various states of emotional distress about how they had failed was quite heartbreaking.