Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Colton posted:

Two questions: is it a fur suit and do they clean it between uses?

It varies by jurisdiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Colton posted:

So i have 17 days to ruminate over my initiation, how was it for the masons in here? I hear it's unforgettable. I asked if i had to wear anything special for my initiation and they said they already have a costume for me. Two questions: is it a fur suit and do they clean it between uses?

In my lodge we don't even bother cleaning it... most of those stains don't come out anyway.

It is certainly an unforgettable evening, but don't get worked up about it. Just go in with an open mind, open eyes, open ears, and whatever you do, try to avoid reading anything about the initiation before you go through it. It'll be much more meaningful if you don't know anything about it beforehand.

Aside from that, just enjoy the ride!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I would say that if you have any body piercings you may want to take them out, so as to not spook the goat.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

redeyes posted:

Yes well.. invited by a head Mason or whatever you call them. Not officially, just that is the wording I used.

It's still unusual.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Emron posted:

It's still unusual.

To clarify, one of our statutes is that we don't ask people to become Masons, they have to seek it out on their own. In fact, on most applications, you have to sign off on it being "of your own free will and accord."

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

QPZIL posted:

To clarify, one of our statutes is that we don't ask people to become Masons, they have to seek it out on their own. In fact, on most applications, you have to sign off on it being "of your own free will and accord."

Also I didn't mean to be a cryptic rear end in a top hat by just saying "that unusual". I just found it remarkable, and unlikely but not impossible.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
For some people "invited" can mean different things. Like if a good man that I'd vouch for asks if I'm a mason or asks about my ring or something I might be like "I'm a Freemason, it's pretty cool, you should check it out if you're into it." I don't consider that inviting someone, which would to me be like "hey I'm a mason you should join us please apply."

To me the former is just giving someone the encouragement to look into us and see if they're into alternative lifestyles like goats and such. The latter option though is not a thing I'd do as I'd feel that creates the impression I want them to join, which is not their own free will.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Also I didn't mean to be a cryptic rear end in a top hat by just saying "that unusual". I just found it remarkable, and unlikely but not impossible.

Uh as far as I know "being a cryptic rear end in a top hat" is one of the key tenets of Masonry.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Paramemetic posted:

For some people "invited" can mean different things. Like if a good man that I'd vouch for asks if I'm a mason or asks about my ring or something I might be like "I'm a Freemason, it's pretty cool, you should check it out if you're into it." I don't consider that inviting someone, which would to me be like "hey I'm a mason you should join us please apply."

To me the former is just giving someone the encouragement to look into us and see if they're into alternative lifestyles like goats and such. The latter option though is not a thing I'd do as I'd feel that creates the impression I want them to join, which is not their own free will.

I think that is what I meant. And the guy did make it clear they don't invite people, just that I should look into being a member and he would vouch for me. I feel honored but alas, I don't fit into this type of thing.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Colton posted:

So i have 17 days to ruminate over my initiation, how was it for the masons in here? I hear it's unforgettable. I asked if i had to wear anything special for my initiation and they said they already have a costume for me. Two questions: is it a fur suit and do they clean it between uses?

I couple of good sharp knives should be helpful. The lodge ones are often a bit dull which makes the ceremony take for ever. No matter what anyone says, a 2.5 inch (10 cm) long blade is just about perfect.

patentmagus fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 9, 2013

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Mine is coming up at the end of the month as well. Looking forward to my turn with the goat.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

redeyes posted:

I think that is what I meant. And the guy did make it clear they don't invite people, just that I should look into being a member and he would vouch for me. I feel honored but alas, I don't fit into this type of thing.

Well, at the very least you know that guy thinks you're a great dude.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Sockington posted:

Mine is coming up at the end of the month as well. Looking forward to my turn with the goat.

Take a shower before hand and make sure you're wearing clean underwear.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Take a shower before hand and make sure you're wearing clean underwear.

This is good advice no matter what the situatiin at hand. You are cheating in giving advice.

imac1984
May 3, 2004

To the couple of guys soon to be initiated, I just want to echo what some of the other brothers in here have been saying about keeping yourself in the dark as much as possible going into it. You'll understand once you go through it and you will be very glad that you did. I know it's been said a bunch in here already, but it's not like there's some huge shock and awe type event that's going to occur, it's just going to be much more special for you and help set you off on the right foot in your masonic journey to stay in the dark.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
My research has never gone beyond this (and the previous) thread as to not spoil anything. ;)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The best part of Freemasonry is wearing cool uniforms.

#swag #yolo

Being a bannerman for the Order of Malta and being a knight of the triangle for the Order of the Temple were both really cool honors and experiences.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

QPZIL posted:

It wasn't an explicit invitation, but my dad was once given a card by a customer he was friendly with with part of this poem on it. He certainly took it to be an invitation of sorts. He found it odd since he was under the impression that Jews weren't eligible to be Masons (which I know from reading this thread isn't the case).

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm curious about Free Masonry and any secret societies in general in regards to joining for networking purposes.

In a world where it's not so much what you know, but who you know - I've been on a mission to meet and hopefully befriend successful people. I've been told that there are many very successful Free Masons that "share knowledge" at there meetings that aren't particularly shared with laypersons.

I guess my point being is, would joining Freemasonry for the reason of networking with other successful people a bad reason to join? Or is it a typical reason to join?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

DirtyTalk posted:

I guess my point being is, would joining Freemasonry for the reason of networking with other successful people a bad reason to join? Or is it a typical reason to join?

It's a bad reason to join. Do people still join for that reason? Sure. But, that's the reason for investigation committees, who are supposed to interview you before joining to make sure you're doing it for the right reasons.

Do you want to meet awesome friends and learn some wonderful moral lessons? If so, Masonry is for you.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It would be right behind "uncover the secret NAACP/Zionist/Feminist Plot to Kill America" as the worst reason to join. The ideals of Masonry make using the organization to get a leg up as ineffective as it would be distasteful.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

DirtyTalk posted:

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm curious about Free Masonry and any secret societies in general in regards to joining for networking purposes.

In a world where it's not so much what you know, but who you know - I've been on a mission to meet and hopefully befriend successful people. I've been told that there are many very successful Free Masons that "share knowledge" at there meetings that aren't particularly shared with laypersons.

Freemasonry isn't what you're looking for if you're looking for networking. Networking happens, I won't lie. I prefer to do business with brothers when I can, both to kick them some business and also so I know I'll be taken care of, but it's not a good reason to join at all. It's not the focus of the organization, and you'd only be as effective as with any other club. I mean, hell, dudes who play poker together network.

If you want to be a better man, to learn moral lessons, and to develop yourself as a whole human being rather than in specific aspects so as to improve yourself in your ability to serve your fellow man, Masonry is a good idea.

For purely making connections and networking, Rotary is probably what you want to do, since it was founded almost entirely with that purpose in mind.

Edit: When I say "I know I'll be taken care of" by the way I don't mean I expect special treatment. I mean that I know that a Mason will be honest and forthright with me because he's a Mason, not because I'm a Mason. I know he'll be honest and forthright with anyone. But it's like the difference between a handshake between strangers and a handshake between old friends. Both outwardly represent the same thing, but the one between brothers is more meaningful. My old mechanic where I used to live signed my petition. When I needed auto work done, I knew he'd do it. I also knew he was more expensive than other mechanics in the area, but I preferred to give him business because I knew our relationship would be upstanding.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 12, 2013

imac1984
May 3, 2004

DirtyTalk posted:

It is a bad reason to join. In fact, I think I am safe in saying that you would not be accepted into any lodge if you were up front and clear that your goal is use masonry to network for personal gain. I was just on an investigation last night for a new candidate and one of the things we are supposed to determine is if the person's desire to join is prompted by by selfish motives. You're certainly right that there is a network of brothers within masonry (some of whom are more famous or well off than others) who would be willing to help each other out, but special treatment isn't something we EXPECT to happen. I would go to a brother knowing that I will be treated equally and will not be shafted or taken advantage of, not because I expect to get some kind of insider deal or knowledge.

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
And this is all definitely why I asked. Thanks for the responses guys.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Well, my first night as a Tyler did not went well. We raised a Brother and after all was over and we were about to close the lodge, I was get nauseous, felt warm, started sweating and became dizzy. Shortly after, my vision started to get dim. Even though the lights were already dimmed, apparently I was white as a sheet and a brother came over, send me to a seat (all were already standing) and took my place.

So, what did I do wrong? I was never in military service, it seems I should have picked up some tricks there.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Hell, trying to network at my lodge would be pointless. They're all retired blue collar workers who don't know anyone of importance. I mean, they're my go-to guys for handy-man recommendations, but that's about the net sum of their 'networking' worth (oh, and one knows a butcher who knocks a few dollars off bulk purchases of sausages for him, so I guess there's that?) Their worth as human beings, as men with long experiences, and as brothers on the other hand, is incalculable and far more important.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

Keetron posted:

Well, my first night as a Tyler did not went well. We raised a Brother and after all was over and we were about to close the lodge, I was get nauseous, felt warm, started sweating and became dizzy. Shortly after, my vision started to get dim. Even though the lights were already dimmed, apparently I was white as a sheet and a brother came over, send me to a seat (all were already standing) and took my place.

So, what did I do wrong? I was never in military service, it seems I should have picked up some tricks there.

You locked your knees?

Sounds more like you should take a trip to the doctor... unless I'm missing a joke?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Keetron posted:

Never lock your knees straight. Keep a slight bend.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Keetron posted:

The Tiler can't sit down in your jurisdiction?

Edit: I'm the Tiler for my lodge and I sit down like a lazy bastard all of the time.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 25, 2013

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Aureus posted:

You locked your knees?

Sounds more like you should take a trip to the doctor... unless I'm missing a joke?

7thBatallion posted:

Never lock your knees straight. Keep a slight bend.

Yeah, locked my knees. Is that bad? I was told it was bad, but how the hell does this cause me to fall over in such a way? Blood pools in the legs causing low pressure upstairs?
Moving pumps the blood around?
Anyway, I locked my knees as I was engrossed by seeing the ritual for the first time since I underwent the same myself.

The Tiler can't sit down in your jurisdiction?

Edit: I'm the Tiler for my lodge and I sit down like a lazy bastard all of the time.
Nopers, we are a proud lodge where they select a young, healthy guy who has no issue with standing still for 2 hours to be Tyler. Which works most of the time.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Keetron posted:

Anyway, I locked my knees as I was engrossed by seeing the ritual for the first time since I underwent the same myself.

Nopers, we are a proud lodge where they select a young, healthy guy who has no issue with standing still for 2 hours to be Tyler. Which works most of the time.

I'm surprised they don't make you stand outside if they are that strict about standing. Anyway, was it particularly hot? Standing in one spot in a tux for two hours when it's hot will make almost anyone feel sick. As far as the locking knees thing goes, I don't know the science behind it but I can tell you that I've seen people pass out because of that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Locking your knees blocks your circulation from... well, circulating.

When I was in JROTC in high school, we would have at least one person a year pass out while at attention because they would stand there for a long time with their knees locked :)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I'm surprised they don't make you stand outside if they are that strict about standing. Anyway, was it particularly hot? Standing in one spot in a tux for two hours when it's hot will make almost anyone feel sick. As far as the locking knees thing goes, I don't know the science behind it but I can tell you that I've seen people pass out because of that.

I experienced it as hot, but that apparently had to do with the lowered blood pressure.
After hearing all you guys tell me that what happened is to be expected, I checked the internet. There it says some people faint when standing locked after a few minutes already but I can assure that I was standing for about an hour and 30 minutes of which about the last 15 locked.

Lesson learned, I guess. We will all remain EA.

About standing outside, I said proud, not strict. :)

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Keetron posted:

I experienced it as hot, but that apparently had to do with the lowered blood pressure.
After hearing all you guys tell me that what happened is to be expected, I checked the internet. There it says some people faint when standing locked after a few minutes already but I can assure that I was standing for about an hour and 30 minutes of which about the last 15 locked.

Lesson learned, I guess. We will all remain EA.

Same thing happened to me as a Senior Warden, I was delivering a really long charge...traditional history in the 3rd degree, and by the end of it I nearly passed out. Luckily my work was done for the night at that point, and I was given a bit of a sit down...a bit of an ego hit when a couple of 80+ year olds have to walk you back to your seat, and they're asking you if you had a touch of the "vapors" most of them being ex military explained the whole don't stand so rigid and for god's sake relax.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Keetron posted:

Yeah, locked my knees. Is that bad? I was told it was bad, but how the hell does this cause me to fall over in such a way? Blood pools in the legs causing low pressure upstairs?
Moving pumps the blood around?

It's not the locking the knees alone that does it. Locking one's knees is a sure indicator that you're not going to be moving them, however, and that's the real killer. As you stand for long periods of time, blood has a harder time returning up. There's a variety of reasons for this, the main one of course is gravity. There's more work to get blood to return via veins than there is to pump it out, and eventually more blood hangs out down below and not as much gets up to the brain, where it's needed. Locking the knees may or may not pinch on a vein and make it even more difficult, but if your knees are locked you're less likely to shift your weight or move your legs, which is usually sufficient to get the blood flowing fine again. Soldiers standing at rest shift their weight from side to side periodically to make sure they keep that blood flowing.

The other factors that definitely contribute to the low blood pressure / syncopal reflex are nerves and low hydration. Low blood pressure (what caused the hot flush) leads to syncope, and it's a lot easier to bottom out your blood pressure if you're dehydrated.

Moral of the story is (a) move around a bit, don't lock your knees; (b) drink enough water beforehand. If you're actively feeling thirst, you're already behind the 8 ball and short about a liter of water; and (c) relax!

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Keetron posted:

The night of the fight, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride loving with you. gently caress pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps. - Albert Pike

imac1984
May 3, 2004

What in the christ are you guys talking about? I know ritual varies slightly from state to state, but unless we here in Maryland are doing things totally different from the rest of the world, I think something has gone right over my head with this convo.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

imac1984 posted:

What in the christ are you guys talking about? I know ritual varies slightly from state to state, but unless we here in Maryland are doing things totally different from the rest of the world, I think something has gone right over my head with this convo.

It's a quote from pulp fiction.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
6hours until I head out for my initiation. Been patiently waiting since spring for this date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Member of the Kevin Smith look-alikes local #45317
gratz, dude! I'll be there in one week from today!