Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
rape is worse than murder but autists don't understand this wow woah i don't believe it

also let's talk more about dc comic heroes and big budget children's movies #soscifi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I've been working out on an elliptical a lot lately and while I can read my ipad on it, I can't read anything too serious

need some recos for workout reading, I tried malazan but it was too hard to follow while sweating away

i liked dragonlance when I was a kid so I thought I'd try some old D&D novels like greyhawk or w/e because I still dont know who mordenkainen is

what's the least shameful old school D&D franchise to read? greyhawk, forgotten realms, eberron, dark sun, ravenloft, spelljammer, gamma world, star frontiers etc

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Internaut! posted:

what's the least shameful old school D&D franchise to read? greyhawk, forgotten realms, eberron, dark sun, ravenloft, spelljammer, gamma world, star frontiers etc

ask yourself this: when the cute girl on the elliptical leans over and asks what youre reading, which series would embarrass you least?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i really liked the fafhrd and grey mouser stories by fritz lieber and they were pretty light and easy reads

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

the answer is spelljammer for those playing at home

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

angry_keebler posted:

rape is worse than murder but autists don't understand this wow woah i don't believe it

also let's talk more about dc comic heroes and big budget children's movies #soscifi

a lot of feminists argue that rape is actually a lot better than murder and the patriarchy attitude of it "permanently ruining" women in a way that is worst than death is really loving sexist but :can:

back on the rails chat: anybody reading maddaddam yet?

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

ask yourself this: when the cute girl on the elliptical leans over and asks what youre reading, which series would embarrass you least?

holy poo poo no this is my machine at home, I wouldn't dare break these out in public

I'm not even sure I want them stored locally in case someone happens to pick up my ipad to see what I like reading

Stymie posted:

i really liked the fafhrd and grey mouser stories by fritz lieber and they were pretty light and easy reads

yeah I read those too back in the day, they were good stories

also john carter books

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

trick question. the cute girl on the elliptical will never be interested in you

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Cold on a Cob posted:

Why do people have a problem with Joker committing sexual acts of violence? What is it that makes people accept Joker as a murderer of children but not a rapist or molester? OK, people are just digesting the notion that Joker might have raped Barbara Gordon in "The Killing Joke", but Joker is still miles away from playing sexual predator. I'm not clamoring for 100 years of Joker rape stories at all. But I happen to agree with Snyder on this one. Joker is an agent of ultimate evil, and should be capable of any depraved act that creates discord among humans. I feel as if when people remove rape from Joker's M.O., they're hinting at their own discomfort rather than making a statement on the character.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I'll post the rebuttals from @jbfrancis here. I feel they counter the OP quite soundly:

"1. There has never been an instance in mainstram comics where he did that. The only 2 examples I know of are in 'The Dark Knight Returns (set in the future) and 'The Joker' a very alternate version where he is wearing make up like Heath Ledger, but is even more brutal. So those opposed to the idea are not 'removing it' from his M.O. Others are forcing it in, despite 70 years of it just not being part of the character's behavior.

2. The Joker is perhaps the most enjoyed comics villan in history, and perhaps all of entertainment. Yes, he is a murderer, and yes it weird that fans still enjoy him despite that, but that's how we as a society are. Sometime we like a bad guy who is smart, funny, or just plain cool. If you make him a rapist, we either have to accept that and still love him, or we have to stop loving him. Either way sucks. Either way the idea is outrageous, Why do that to a character that really is enjoyed by so many just the way he is? He never needed to be a rapist to be the ultimare bad-guy, Batman's true nemisis. This would mess with my enjoyment of comics overall and the Joker in particular. I can't be a fan of a rapist. I would be angry with anyone else who is. I read comics for entertainment, and yes, it can be violent entertainment, but rape is not in any form entertaining. This is why Snyder scares me a little. He says the Joker is his favvorite villan of all time. Make him rape somebody and then say that.

After 70 years and much of it on saturday morning cartoons, the Joker is EVREWHERE. 5-year-olds dress up like him for Halloween. Cosplayers. Video gamers. I have a children's book about Harley and the Joker on my nightstand. Bad enough for long-time fans of the Joker, imagime what it would be like for real life victims of rape if this celebrated character became a rapist. Not everyone would know. There would still be 5-year olds at Halloween dressed like him.

Maybe we tolerate him as a murderer becuase he is so far from real life crimes. Purplesuit, laughing gas, green hair, eternally escaping justice. Sorry, rape is far too real and too common.

I'd hope there would be a massive outcry. Snyder might loose his job, the story be cancelled. And I'd agree with that. It would be a step towards dragging society further into acceptance of abuse, with the odd twist that we would mostly be aware of it."
I do disagree on one point, though. Is the Joker who murdered a room full of executives for not trademarking "Laughing Fish" less brutal than Heath Ledger's agent of chaos?

I'll also add this: I do with agree with Snyder in the sense that Joker will do anything creatively rewarding in the pursuit of evil. Anything. But rape is hard to justify as a creatively rewarding plot device, especially for a meta-aware like Joker. Irréversible, a French film, succeeds on doing just that. David Lynch's Blue Velvet and the work of Suehiro Maruo also succeed on this feat, but it's an uncommon one. And I hadn't stop to consider that "less is more" might be better for general audiences. I don't mean water down the character, but keep aspects about the character shrouded in mystery rather than defining what he does and does not do. Rape has never been in the mainstream Joker's M.O., but it's a mistake to say he's incapable. Still, one must consider the audiences who could not handle their favorite character as a rapist. Again, the Alice Cooper rule: "Don't show 'em everything, or you'll give it all away".

Note: made another edit to the OP

these are very good points but it misses the biggest counterargument which is 'comics are for children'

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

trick question. the cute girl on the elliptical will never be interested in you

drat youre too smart for my brainteasers i guess

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i finally slogged through the first two culture books and boy did they stink

phlebas was the story of a face dancer's tangential adventures that made no difference anyway

the first third of player of games was about a weird old guy sneaking around sniffing the wet spot where a girl was sitting on a couch and then giggling and then the rest was a convoluted plot to overthrow a space emperor that could have been achieved more easily by just waiting for the emperor to show up on the fire planet and then bombing the castle and broadcasting a faked video of how bad their space boardgame really was

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

jesus loving christ

the reason the joker is supposed to be batmans "ultimate nemesis" is that he loves killing and does it at the slightest whim, and batmans whole thing is that he cannot kill anyone. rape doesnt loving enter into any of thihhluhlaguhalghulagha gently caress im arguing about comics again

I'm not up on the current PC portray of murdering psycopaths, but in my mind there isn't much of a difference if he's raping his victims before he kills them or not.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

angry_keebler posted:

welp, I just saw this lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

drat youre too smart for my brainteasers i guess

nah. i'm just broken.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
all d&d "novels" are just extended versions of the horrible "game fiction" you find in modern pen-and-paper rpgs that they try to use to set the tone but 99% of the time are just laughably bad because gamers are awful people

if you read them you are bad person with severe taste problems

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Heresiarch posted:

same but debate and discussion

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

jingle bells batman smells

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Heresiarch posted:

all d&d "novels" are just extended versions of the horrible "game fiction" you find in modern pen-and-paper rpgs that they try to use to set the tone but 99% of the time are just laughably bad because gamers are awful people

I liked dragonlance when I was a kid? iunno I thought it might be fun

at 5am I don't have the attention span for phonebook fantasy or hard sci fi

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Internaut! posted:

I've been working out on an elliptical a lot lately and while I can read my ipad on it, I can't read anything too serious

need some recos for workout reading, I tried malazan but it was too hard to follow while sweating away

i liked dragonlance when I was a kid so I thought I'd try some old D&D novels like greyhawk or w/e because I still dont know who mordenkainen is

r e howard, hugh cook, clark ashton smith maybe

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

angry_keebler posted:

i finally slogged through the first two culture books and boy did they stink

phlebas was the story of a face dancer's tangential adventures that made no difference anyway

the first third of player of games was about a weird old guy sneaking around sniffing the wet spot where a girl was sitting on a couch and then giggling and then the rest was a convoluted plot to overthrow a space emperor that could have been achieved more easily by just waiting for the emperor to show up on the fire planet and then bombing the castle and broadcasting a faked video of how bad their space boardgame really was

you are a unrepentant repository of bad and dumb opinions

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

try rereaing those books and see if
1. any of the goofy named characters were relatable
1a. anything any of the characters did mattered at all
2. a hyper intelligent machine race couldn't come up with a better way to solve problems

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

House Louse posted:

r e howard, hugh cook, clark ashton smith maybe

hey conan that's a good idea, never read those

also should read all the lovecrafts

are there any pulpy sci fi equivalents other than john carter

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
don't buy chinese knockoffs of scifi novels, make sure it's an authentic printing with the correct words

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

haveblue posted:

don't buy chinese knockoffs of scifi novels, make sure it's an authentic printing with the correct words

Crumb! Crumb and Steal!

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

Internaut! posted:

andre norton? her books are all short and pulpy/weird lots of blasters and telpathic space animals

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

overhead, without any fuss, the capitalist tyrranies were quietly being overrun by the glorious patriotic forces of the people's liberation army

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

angry_keebler posted:

try rereaing those books and see if
1. any of the goofy named characters were relatable
1a. anything any of the characters did mattered at all
2. a hyper intelligent machine race couldn't come up with a better way to solve problems

you dont "get" the culture do you? its not a serious universal police force, ffs the whole premise of player of games is about a guy getting bored and going on an adventure

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Internaut! posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lensman_series

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Internaut! posted:

There are a lot, but whether they're worth reading is questionable. The next best to the Barsoom series is probably Under the Green Star.

Personally I enjoy Lem's more pulpy stuff, like pretty much anything he did involving Pirx. Lem has such awesome range.

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

Endless Mike posted:

avengers is not v good but that's because joss whedon is a bad writer and worse director.

and watchmen is unwatchable garbage by anotehr garbage director

Watchmen comic was ok, but idk maybe I'm just not a comics guy.

clearly I can't enjoy comic movies but I did like reading fatman year 1

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
watchmen the comic is about how superheroes are all terrible broken people who will inevitably destroy the world

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

has anybody ever written a batman novel? like a real one, not a picture book? can you imagine how bad that would be

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

oh and I read transmetropolitan and hard boiled in my first year of college and liked them but i'd probably realize how goofy they are upon rereading today.

haveblue posted:

watchmen the comic is about how superheroes are all terrible broken people who will inevitably destroy the world

yeah I did like that idea, the story was p good, and the art was p good, I just didn't like it a lot for some reason

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

"the filth" is still considered to be p good right?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i keep thinking about "riddick" and how we need more movies about vin diesel punching people in every genre, not just sci-fi and rice cars

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Personally I enjoy Lem's more pulpy stuff, like pretty much anything he did involving Pirx. Lem has such awesome range.

lem fuckin' owns

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
somewhere there must be scans of old vintage Amazing Stories and all that stuff from back in the day

or mags like Heavy Metal, Mad, Dragon that would be a nostalgia kick to flip through

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

Werthog 95 posted:

has anybody ever written a batman novel? like a real one, not a picture book? can you imagine how bad that would be

Comics is a medium that translates poorly to books, because, well, BAM POW THOK

"good" comics tend to be too long/wordy so they dont translate well into summer blockbusters or any movie that would make real money

i guess what I'm saying is comics is a wierd manchild limbo grey medium for people who still like picture books

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i keep thinking about "riddick" and how we need more movies about vin diesel punching people in every genre, not just sci-fi and rice cars

next F^2 movie will have vin diesel and jason statham

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

raruler posted:

next F^2 movie will have vin diesel and jason statham

omg

omg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
vin diesel is seriously good at playing the over the top punch guy. i hate over the top punch guys but i dunno, there's just something about him that makes it ok.

probably that he seems so self aware but honestly i'm sure most other over the top action guys are as ewll

• Locked thread