Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

88h88 posted:

A friend of mine is in Dubai at the moment and has just been to see the Rainbow Sheikh's car collection, or at least a chunk of it. Flicking through the admittedly lovely quality pictures among all the horrible rainbow painted piles of gaudy gold and white poo poo is this loving weirdo of a car...

Nissan PPatroLL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

88h88 posted:

A friend of mine is in Dubai at the moment and has just been to see the Rainbow Sheikh's car collection, or at least a chunk of it. Flicking through the admittedly lovely quality pictures among all the horrible rainbow painted piles of gaudy gold and white poo poo is this loving weirdo of a car...

I...what...WHY??? :psyboom:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Driving a wizard van would be the best car for having teens in the house. They would never ask to be driven anywhere, and you can guarantee they'd never ask to borrow it.

Nope. One of my friends is huge into vans, his dad was big into them back in the day. His van in high school was a 4x4 79 Chevy with a lift kit and a dragon on each side and we loved the poo poo out of it. This was in the late 90's, too, when vans were at their low point.

Custom vans are loving awesome.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nyyen posted:

Because sand?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

VikingSkull posted:

Nope. One of my friends is huge into vans, his dad was big into them back in the day. His van in high school was a 4x4 79 Chevy with a lift kit and a dragon on each side and we loved the poo poo out of it. This was in the late 90's, too, when vans were at their low point.

Custom vans are loving awesome.

This. Between the radness of driving an ironic fantasy painted van and the amount of sex that happened in them 70's-80's vans were all the rage when I was in high school during the 90's.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nyyen posted:

Because the Powerwagon has trouble on city streets.

Or rather, city streets have trouble under the Powerwagon.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I love the fact that it has a loving HOUSE inside it. ...and is completely mobile albeit very loving slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8GdadQzMeo

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Being stuck in an Advance parking lot is a harrowing experience.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This. Between the radness of driving an ironic fantasy painted van and the amount of sex that happened in them 70's-80's vans were all the rage when I was in high school during the 90's.

My parents had a Mark III conversion van, and they let me use it all the time. Their reasoning? "Well, it's big and safe and he can't go fast in it."

Man, the sex I had in that thing. Thanks mom and dad!

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Moxie Omen posted:

Being stuck in an Advance parking lot is a harrowing experience.

That looks pretty well done in the classic mini-truck format. Nice paint and lines, etc.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Couldn't decide wether to put this here or not, but:

:golfclap: to the CA DMV for having a sense of humor. They must have noticed it was going on an EV.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

88h88 posted:

I love the fact that it has a loving HOUSE inside it. ...and is completely mobile albeit very loving slow.

Not his only one, either.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Does anyone know if this "Special Edition" Dodge Stratus was a factory option or someone paid to have this done? I can't decide which is worse.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

davebo posted:

Does anyone know if this "Special Edition" Dodge Stratus was a factory option or someone paid to have this done? I can't decide which is worse.

Dealer installed option. Installed because something happened to the roof.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Neptr posted:

Dealer installed option. Installed because something happened to the roof.

Bad hail storm recently?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Polymerized Cum posted:

Bad hail storm recently?

No just white paint from Chrysler

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Not really terrible but I was reading this thread right before we went to go pick this up from the store and it seemed to fit this thread a little bit.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Bang Me Please posted:

My uncle pointed something out to me on Sunday.

Why would a homologation special have a vinyl top? Atrocious body work on those sails, evidently.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Who says that only Volvo's wagons are good for hauling things?

I was responsible for sitting in the passenger seat and holding the 2x8 in place.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 10, 2013

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

joat mon posted:

Because the Powerwagon has trouble on city streets.

Or rather, city streets have trouble under the Powerwagon.

Wrong thread on this one. That thing actually drives.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

madeintaipei posted:

Why would a homologation special have a vinyl top? Atrocious body work on those sails, evidently.

I apologize for nitpicking, but that's a '70 Charger 500. The 500 wasn't a homologation special any more at that point, it was just another trim level. The 500s you're thinking of can be identified by a flush grille and no hideaway headlights in front, it also didn't have the recessed rear window/flying buttresses.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

This... thing... pulled up next to me at a red light today.

I guarantee there's never been anything resembling a pizza inside of it (not that Dominos resembles real pizza anyway, but you get the point). :10bux: says it's a writeoff for a franchise owner that wanted an obnoxious personal vehicle...

Saw this too. the license plates made it ultra horrible, but I can't remember exactly what they said - I think it was WUAT UP, definitely a variation of that. The Mystichrome always gets my attention, but it only looks right on a handful of cars. :smith:

This one just made me :stare: a bit, wondering how the gently caress they managed that. It has a for sale sign on it, of course.

e: looking closer, it looks like it got hit while parked in that very spot. :smith: That's a shame, it looked to be in excellent condition prior to that.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 10, 2013

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Q_res posted:

I apologize for nitpicking, but that's a '70 Charger 500. The 500 wasn't a homologation special any more at that point, it was just another trim level. The 500s you're thinking of can be identified by a flush grille and no hideaway headlights in front, it also didn't have the recessed rear window/flying buttresses.

The Plymouth homologation special did have a vinyl top, though.

The racecars didn't, or maybe Petty just painted over it/had his shop correctly do whatever sloppy factory work the vinyl was intended to hide. Something to do with fitting a nonstandard rear window, I think.

Related:

Edit: apparently the general public and even other carmakers thought for years that the height of the wing on the Daytona/SuperBird was decided by some secret arcane formula of aerodynamical mathematics. Actually the mathematical formula was something like (wing height)=(height of the open trunklid)+(an inch or so). It had to be somewhat tall to get out of the turbulence off the back window, but it was much taller than aerodynamics required simply so the trunk could open without hitting it. They didn't do that much actual math on the bits that actually affected the aero, either: they'd build something that looked like it would work on paper, bolted it to the prototype car, and drove it down an out-of-the-way airport runway and shut off the engine at a set distance and speed. How far the car coasted was as good a measure as any of how well the aero enhancements worked. The engineers would have preferred a wind tunnel, but they couldn't get access to one big enough for the car, and being an underfunded skunk works-style operation trying to get something out that would win races ASAP, didn't have the resources or time to prototype things with scale models in affordable wind tunnels.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 10, 2013

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Bang Me Please posted:

I know it's hip and cool to hate on Chrysler, but Toyota (especially white Toyotas) has the worst paint of any car manufacturer, by a wide margin. Followed by Honda and their gun-metal gray, which is probably one of my top gray colors, but good lord does it like to just come off of cars like it was water-based paint over oil-based primer.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

The King of Swag posted:

I know it's hip and cool to hate on Chrysler, but Toyota (especially white Toyotas) has the worst paint of any car manufacturer, by a wide margin. Followed by Honda and their gun-metal gray, which is probably one of my top gray colors, but good lord does it like to just come off of cars like it was water-based paint over oil-based primer.

You haven't looked at the hood of a mid 90s Ford fullsize, have you?

All makes have had total poo poo paint at one time or another.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

kastein posted:

I have, but Toyota is the only make that I've seen with cars that regularly have less than 25% of the paint left.

Edit: I probably should mention that everyone's paint seems to have gotten much better, as I haven't seen any Toyotas under 5 years old do this.

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 10, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The King of Swag posted:

Early 00's Hyundais were to known to start peeling on the friggin' sales lot!

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Kind of terrible. I locked my keys in my Range Rover at work. I couldn't get the lock to pop with a coat hanger I found but luckily I'd left the window open a crack to keep the truck from being a sauna in the Texas sun. I got a pool cue out of the game room in the office, wrapped the coat hanger around it, and gaffer taped the mess together. Was able to pull the keys out of the ignition and through the passenger's window. Yeah, I have AAA but really didn't want to wait around for over an hour when I could solve the issue myself.

If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid.

I need to get a magnetic lock box some day. I usually don't lock the truck but school is back in session and our office shares a building with the local 'troubled kids' high school. I don't need some opportunistic delinquent walking off with my sunglasses or the $5 in change in the ash tray.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
I've always liked VWs solution to locking yourself out of the car--you simply can't. While I'm sure this has changed in the era of electronic locks, back when physical keys were all you had, the driver-side door on VWs could not be locked from the inside knob while the door was open. The only way to lock all the car doors while actually outside the car (with the windows up), is to have the key.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The King of Swag posted:

I've always liked VWs solution to locking yourself out of the car--you simply can't. While I'm sure this has changed in the era of electronic locks, back when physical keys were all you had, the driver-side door on VWs could not be locked from the inside knob while the door was open. The only way to lock all the car doors while actually outside the car (with the windows up), is to have the key.

Lots of Japanese cars (Mazda, Nissan, Subaru, etc) had the "idiot locks" where you had to hold the exterior door handle open in order to keep the interior lock engaged while closing the door. Granted I managed to lock my keys inside my '97 doing it, but... you know, it probably worked once or twice.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

kastein posted:

Ford had Problems with clearcoat between 1980 and 1996. My '92 F150 and the family's '82 E150 had basically car eczema. Every aging Ford I've seen from that era was just as bad. Every manufacturer has spells of poo poo paint, but Ford took rather a while to fix theirs.

The King of Swag posted:

You may just not be trying hard enough. My roommate's '06-ish Honda can't be locked via the inside button with the door open, unless you pull the inside handle while pushing the button. Sort of the other way 'round from Seat Safety Switch's experience. I imagine at one point it was impossible, but enough people bitched about having to use the key to lock it when the remote battery was dead/didn't care for remotes that they added a workaround.

I did the workaround all of three times on the roomie's car just because I could, then went back to locking it with the key from the outside because she only has one key so we're kinda boned if we lock it inside.

Edit: on a vaguely related note, I miss that '92 F150. It had an emergency key in the form of a plastic one that hinged out of a credit-card-sized card, so you could keep it in your wallet. That was loving brilliant.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 10, 2013

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Kill-9 posted:

I need to get a magnetic lock box some day. I usually don't lock the truck but school is back in session and our office shares a building with the local 'troubled kids' high school. I don't need some opportunistic delinquent walking off with my sunglasses or the $5 in change in the ash tray.

Get a small zip tie and just zip tie the key somewhere under the truck. More secure than the magnetic boxes and you can still twist the key off the tie with the small ones

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

`Nemesis posted:

Get a small zip tie and just zip tie the key somewhere under the truck. More secure than the magnetic boxes and you can still twist the key off the tie with the small ones

That's a good idea. And more importantly, cheap! I've always distrusted the magnetic boxes. I'll do that tonite. Thx.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

That's a good idea because there's tons of plastic areas under the bumper cover on most cars that would be perfect. I might do it myself.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

88h88 posted:

This is amazing...he basically built a luxury version of the Jawa Sandcrawler that looks like a 50s Dodge truck.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Terrible car news:

Sounds like Top Gear killed the Furai.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

fixed your link

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
From the website:

quote:

Forgive us, for we have sinned. Top Gear is responsible for the untimely demise of the quite remarkable Mazda Furai Concept, and we're very, very sorry. Find out how (if that picture hasn't clued you in...) in our bumper anniversary issue, and try not to hate us too much.
:(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Pity PDR doesn't work on Harvey Dents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

quote:

Less difficult/violent/painful was naming the worst car of the past 20 years. And let's not beat about the bush. It's the Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible.

Rightfully said :colbert: