Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
I agree, I would hold onto the information until they pay you. Either they pay you for what you provided for them, or they're going to have to pay someone else to make them a new site. Don't roll over on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Potato Alley posted:

Much as I almost always hate it when people do this, it sounds like you would be well within your rights to hold their site hostage until they pay you. People like this don't understand anything other than that or a letter from a lawyer. (Of course, they may lawyer up too, so that's a calculated risk based on how well you know their personality). But I mean, you hosted their site based on an ASSumption you'd get paid, and they said "hey this guy's a rube, he'll just keep hosting it, we don't pay anything, hooray!" Telling you to your face that they decided you'd keep volunteering is basically saying "yeah we think you have no balls, so why don't you roll on over there and we'll maybe throw you a scrap. Maybe." I'd just take the site down, put up a innocuous parking page with ads (hello.jpg etc. would just be bad legally since it might demonstrate malice), and send them an invoice for your hosting fees plus time plus rear end in a top hat tax and inform them they'll get "their" website which YOU developed and they didn't pay for back when you get properly compensated.

Seriously, sometimes you approach underlig levels of Stockholm. Not Corvettedilbert, there's very few who reach that magical level of "please poo poo in my mouth I love it so much", but this is not the time to be polite, it's the time to remind them that business is business and unless they're literally a charity for children with cancer (actually even then), poo poo ain't free.

This. Grab the domain again and park it until you get paid for your work and hosting and then give them the keys and be rid of them.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Rohaq posted:

This is right there alongside "Well they don't beat me when they're not drunk.", followed by "They promise they're going to stop drinking!"

I've used the battered spouse example to explain why I keep getting Motorola devices. I've had nothing but trouble with them, yet I keep buying them. (To be fair, they're about the only company that was making a 'descent' Android device with hardware keyboard) :(

I've had good luck with Samsung, so I'm thinking my next phone will be a Note 3.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Potato Alley posted:

Much as I almost always hate it when people do this, it sounds like you would be well within your rights to hold their site hostage until they pay you. People like this don't understand anything other than that or a letter from a lawyer. (Of course, they may lawyer up too, so that's a calculated risk based on how well you know their personality). But I mean, you hosted their site based on an ASSumption you'd get paid, and they said "hey this guy's a rube, he'll just keep hosting it, we don't pay anything, hooray!" Telling you to your face that they decided you'd keep volunteering is basically saying "yeah we think you have no balls, so why don't you roll on over there and we'll maybe throw you a scrap. Maybe." I'd just take the site down, put up a innocuous parking page with ads (hello.jpg etc. would just be bad legally since it might demonstrate malice), and send them an invoice for your hosting fees plus time plus rear end in a top hat tax and inform them they'll get "their" website which YOU developed and they didn't pay for back when you get properly compensated.

Seriously, sometimes you approach underlig levels of Stockholm. Not Corvettedilbert, there's very few who reach that magical level of "please poo poo in my mouth I love it so much", but this is not the time to be polite, it's the time to remind them that business is business and unless they're literally a charity for children with cancer (actually even then), poo poo ain't free.

You have a point, I am far to nice for my own good.

For the short term ill get the domain renewed and throw the site into maintenance mode until I can get a parking page up.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

blackswordca posted:

For the short term ill get the domain renewed and throw the site into maintenance mode until I can get a parking page up.

No, you don't ever learn, do you?

Let it expire.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I thought I saw a site somewhere that had instances like this where a business shafts a web host or developer. In said instances, the contractor in question kept the domain, kept hosting the site, but had a few banners in the page stating that said company was refusing to fulfill their end of the contract with payment, etc.

I'd just point it to goatse. (Don't do this. (Do this.))

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

blackswordca posted:

If you renew it they will think you did it to extend you "volunteering" brigade. Either let it expire or forward them a bill saying "it will be X to renew your domain, if you do not pay it will expire at XX/XX/XXXX"

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

If you renew it they will think you did it to extend you "volunteering" brigade. Either let it expire or forward them a bill saying "it will be X to renew your domain, if you do not pay it will expire at XX/XX/XXXX"

True, but if i don't renew the domain expires on Saturday

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

What do you think the chances are you will see the money back from that? If it is not ~100% let it expire and spend the money on beer instead. If it expires and gets picked up by a domain squatter, that is tough on them. They should be running their business in a professional manner to prevent it from happening.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

blackswordca posted:

How is that your problem? Does the electric company foot the bill if you don't pay your bill? Send them a bill for your work and say you must have payments(for renewal+months of hosting) by CoB Thursday to ensure the domain stays active.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

blackswordca posted:

Sell it to a domain squatter and let them sort it out.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Yeah, they got walked out if the door

I feel cheated, I wanted a drama fest.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Number19 posted:

Well, you could REALLY be an rear end, and change the contact info to, say "CRAZY JOE'S DOMAIN SQUATTER SHACK" and put up a 1990's style "UNDER CONSTRUCTION PAGE" and see if "crazy joe's domain squatter shack" can fleece them. But that's work, and only if you REALLY want to gently caress with them.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Number19 posted:

"Sorry the person who bought your domain only deals in bitcoins"

akiyba
Jan 28, 2009
I had someone tell me their computer kept losing power and shutting off. I checked the power cord and found that the outlet he was using was so loose the cord just fell out of the outlet if you looked at it funny. I told the user it was a maintenance issue and to have them replace the outlet. That was about 4 days ago. Today I get a ticket asking for a new power cable because his computer keeps losing power.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

gently caress SQL EXPRESS WHY DO PEOPLE USE IT IN PRODUCTION?

"wow performance sucks!" NO poo poo
"Wow it keeps crashing!" NO poo poo

Not to mention people always forget 2008r2 has a 10GB limit in DB size. Buy the full version, what is 800 dollars to a +90k environment?

In my experience it goes like:

Slimy sales rep conveniently forgets to mention it needs SQL server, in order to make the overall purchase price look cheaper.

Tech turns up to do the install, tells the customer they need SQL server. Customer thinks the company are trying to rip them off by selling them more software.

Tech eventually gets fed up of taking the blame and installs it on SQL Express.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only SQL express db I deal with runs our Solarwinds install. The 10gb limit means we keep it pretty lean which is good, and also in Australia I think an MSSQL license is a fair bit more than $800.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Either that or
Sales Rep says it needs SQL server and your options are: 1) SQL express, no additional costs but it does have some limitations or 2) SQL server which costs $$$.
Management thinking about this quarter's bonus elects for the cheaper option and instructs technicians "To just make it work" with no regard for how the limits will impact on what they are doing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Why not just use mysql?

edit* Oh, this is on Exchange. Nevermind my dumb butt.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

MF_James posted:

All our notes in our ticketing system COULD be viewed by clients, but none of them ever log into the system, but why would you be putting stuff into your ticketing system that you don't want someone to look at? Seems like a Bad Choice.

Yeah, never ever ever write anything anywhere in a ticket that you wouldn't want a client to see. Even if you have an internal note field that remains internal, that's no protection from some outsourced tier 1 tech copying and pasting all your internal notes and sending them to the customer because they're too lazy to write their own response.

Farking Bastage posted:

They have a PE2800 with 2 failed disks out of a 6 disk RAID 5 array. Work with Dell to figure out if it is recoverable. There are no backups

Are the two drives actually dead? If so, then you're talking serious data forensics poo poo that isn't going to be worth it. In my experience, though, PERCs of that vintage love nothing more than kicking random working drives out of an array when one fails (or sometimes for no reason at all), so there's a chance one or both of those drives might not actually be dead, in which case you might be able to force one back online and get the system up long enough to recover data. This has a better chance of working if both drives dropped at the same time; if one actually died long before the other one and no one bothered to replace it, then I hope you know which one's been dead for ages and which just dropped. :v:

As for database chat, my time in the web hosting industry has taught me that the more critical a web site's database is to a business, the more likely it is to be Access. With a FrontPage front end. :cry:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I hate Access so much.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We use SQL express for Solarwinds as well, along with a bunch of software that only 5-10 people need to hit. It's good for less than 20 users or so.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I thought I saw a site somewhere that had instances like this where a business shafts a web host or developer. In said instances, the contractor in question kept the domain, kept hosting the site, but had a few banners in the page stating that said company was refusing to fulfill their end of the contract with payment, etc.

That's basically what I'm thinking. Tell them that they've got two weeks to either pay the invoice or make reasonable accommodations to do so.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I'd totally suspend the site for non payment, if you've always owned the domain, then its yours and yours to do with what you want.

Just don't go re-using their data, that is a bit scummy, everything else though, totally legit.

Don't forget to block their ftp/etc access so they can't take what they want while the site is "down"

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Varkk posted:

Either that or
Sales Rep says it needs SQL server and your options are: 1) SQL express, no additional costs but it does have some limitations or 2) SQL server which costs $$$.
Management thinking about this quarter's bonus elects for the cheaper option and instructs technicians "To just make it work" with no regard for how the limits will impact on what they are doing.

Pretty much this, 1 SQL express is running Symantec's DB, vCenter's DB, SolarWinds, and some other management apps. Guess what happened to the box when Symantec kicked off backups, vCenter downloaded some patches, and wanted to log some transactions, with solarwinds monitoring a full SAP+Dev+Other environment?

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Yeah I would renew it... It's an investment that WILL pay off when they realize how much power you have... If you allow the domain to expire, the squatter gets all the profit... If you hand them their website data you've just given away ALL of your "cache," and will never receive back-pay.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Hi Mr. Helpdesk,

The Black ink cartridge for HP Laser Jet Pro 400 (in front of Stockroom) is getting low.

Thanks,

:downs:

:laffo::laffo: Mr. Helpdesk

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Haha I don't get those emails anymore.

"Well then change it." is my answer to that.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005
Reading through a long list of issues someone emailed me... this part stuck out:

quote:

*And what is Crystal? Anything that's in the library that has that word
associated with it is something I can't run.*
Uh oh. From what I've come across in this thread, this sounds about right. Also glad that portion of the email is not my problem.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

blackswordca posted:

Here's what you need to understand. There are a lot of people in this life who will quickly identify a person as the kind of person who is afraid to say no and will exploit that as much as they can for as long as they can. You are that person that's being walked all over and you're letting them do it.

You haven't been paid for services rendered and you have complete and total control over their website. Don't do anything for them, don't mail them any USB key, don't lift a finger except to do whatever you can to make sure they understand you have absolute control. They have no recourse. Renew the domain and make sure it's locked so that there's no way they can claim it, and then take the website down completely.

This isn't about you being a dick, this is about responding to them being dicks. It's not good to be the instigating type, but you should respond to anyone being a dick to you in the same fashion.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
What is it about IT managers that makes them incapable of good decisions? This is why I drink:

:downs: Our customers are requesting non-blackberry smartphones, lets give them whatever they ask for. Droids and i-devices work with ActiveSync, right?
:what: Yes, iOS and Android will work. I'll cater to their every whim, m'lord.

:downs: If someone quits I want an agreement that says we can wipe their phones. I want you to contact everyone in our enterprise and make them sign this.
:what: Sure, I didn't have anything pressing to do...

:downs: I'm reading scary things on the internet that say all mobile devices need full device encryption. We can't afford to leak corporate data! How many devices don't support encryption?!
:what: Any iPhone later than the 3GS is fine, none of the Android devices support it, so they're out.
:downs: Okay, lets force everyone to use a password through ActiveSync. We'll write the policy but let the out of compliance droids stay on. Blackberrys don't need a password.
:what: Sure, this certainly won't anger everyone.

:downs: One of our companies is really mad about that agreement that said we can wipe the phones. Give them ActiveSync without it.
:what: Legal isn't going to be happy with this, fuckitall, I don't care anymore.

:downs: I'm reading scary things on the internet that say droids aren't safe at all! We've also had problems wiping phones with ActiveSync! But I didn't want to wipe personal phones anyway because they'll sue us even with the agreement! I need you to find everyone in the enterprise with a non-company phone, plus everyone with a droid and install Good for Enterprise on them instead. It'll cost us $50,000 but their sales people tell me it's an *ENCRYPTED CONTAINER*!
:what: ... :stonk:
:downs: Oh, I forgot that one company didn't sign any agreements, but I need you to turn into a wizard and divine the amount of licenses we'll need, and provide a breakdown of how many in each business unit so they don't get mad when we send them the bill.
:what: ... :suicide:

Bishyaler fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 10, 2013

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

That's exactly why me and my boss (who owns) keep saying 'no' when asked if we can get non-blackberry phones for users

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

:stare: Is that retroactive or just going forward? Either way it's a bad idea but the former would be a nightmare, at least for me.

I may have already posted this but our ticketing system was updated last year to allow clients to log in and view notes on tickets they logged. This applied retroactively. Thankfully the only note I'd written that I really didn't want the client to read was for someone who had quit the year before.

Edit: Currently in a meeting with a shared presentation, the person controlling the screen just drew an unfortunate set of lines that looked suspiciously similar to a giant cock and balls. Good thing I'm on mute.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 10, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

All our users have iPhones now which doesn't really bother me much because it's one less server I have to manage. You get email and that's it, manage the rest yourself.

My boss has one of the new Windows 8 phones and I have an Android, not that it matters.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

blackswordca posted:

The personal who signed it apparently has no authority to sign contracts for this organization.

Sounds like their organization has a problem with people making business decisions without authorization. That in no way leaves you on the hook for providing the service for free. You can likely legally enforce the contract and their "he's not authorized" is a disciplinary issue to sort out between the company and said unauthorized signer. Enforce the contract.

edit:

chutwig posted:

Here's what you need to understand. There are a lot of people in this life who will quickly identify a person as the kind of person who is afraid to say no and will exploit that as much as they can for as long as they can. You are that person that's being walked all over and you're letting them do it.

You haven't been paid for services rendered and you have complete and total control over their website. Don't do anything for them, don't mail them any USB key, don't lift a finger except to do whatever you can to make sure they understand you have absolute control. They have no recourse. Renew the domain and make sure it's locked so that there's no way they can claim it, and then take the website down completely.

This isn't about you being a dick, this is about responding to them being dicks. It's not good to be the instigating type, but you should respond to anyone being a dick to you in the same fashion.

This is 1000% correct.

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 10, 2013

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

drukqs posted:

Hi Mr. Helpdesk,

The Black ink cartridge for HP Laser Jet Pro 400 (in front of Stockroom) is getting low.

Thanks,

:downs:
On very rare occasions we get tickets requesting toner carts. While we do keep the carts here in the I.T. department, it's been a long standing policy (well before I got here, and I've been here for 4 years come November) that they come pick them up themselves. If we're not here, the nursing supervisor has a key and can get it for them.

Bishyaler posted:

:words: about mobile email
What is your role? I'd tell the guy that I'm a tech, so I'll do the technical poo poo, but the policies and licensing poo poo is all on him.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

TWBalls posted:

What is your role? I'd tell the guy that I'm a tech, so I'll do the technical poo poo, but the policies and licensing poo poo is all on him.

Help Desk Lead / Associate System Admin (two jobs for the price of one!) The licensing was up to him until it became apparent that his poor policy had made it a stage seven clusterfuck, at which point it was dumped in my lap.

Bishyaler fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 10, 2013

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

chutwig posted:

You haven't been paid for services rendered and you have complete and total control over their website. Don't do anything for them, don't mail them any USB key, don't lift a finger except to do whatever you can to make sure they understand you have absolute control. They have no recourse. Renew the domain and make sure it's locked so that there's no way they can claim it, and then take the website down completely. that there is a page go up that explains how the business is trying to rort you for work already rendered.

ftfy

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

blackswordca posted:

There's a lot of variables in your IT tales of woe, but only one constant. You can only blame other people for your situations for so long. At some point you either decide to make a change, or deal with what comes if you don't. Getting a new job isn't going to be your escape from your issues. Your issues are with setting boundaries and expectations, and possibly lack of confidence in your professional value.

I do hope you find a new job, and I hope your new co-workers would be competent and appreciative of your work. But that doesn't have to happen for your situation to improve. It sounds like you've got experience far beyond what your job title would suggest, and the extremely important ability to figure your way though problems that don't have an obvious answer. Start believing in yourself and the value you provide.

I understand you have bills to pay, and I'm not suggesting you jeopardize your paycheck. And as far as this place is crappy to work for, I don't even suggest you try to burn bridges there. You never know when those connections, as horrible as they are now, might be worth having down the line. But you can start setting boundaries and sticking to them. There's power in that, and you just might find out that those you work with do realize your value, and change their ways once they know they risk losing you if they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

This is never a good idea unless you know 100% that you'll never work with these people or anyone that they work with.

At least not until they come back and say "this isn't very good volunteering, now fix it like a good volunteer"

• Locked thread