Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Is that a bobcat or a Mech cockpit? They were way more stripped down when I was running them.

Yeah, this one is awesome. Heat/AC, radio, power "bob-tach" (so you don't even have to get out to change attachments), windshield wiper and washer on the front glass (not on it in that picture), keyless starting where you can set passwords for multiple people on schedules, etc. And the most important feature: ISO controls so no more stupid rear end pedal control of the bucket.

It's a really nice little machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Whats the control off to the right with the 10 digit key pad?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Whats the control off to the right with the 10 digit key pad?

The keys (password) as well as a gauge pod for things like temp, oil pressure, hours, etc.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

The keys (password) as well as a gauge pod for things like temp, oil pressure, hours, etc.

I would love to strut around with the fact that my bobcat is "keyless" :smug:

The old drunk neighbor down the road from me used to use a Melroe bobcat for pretty much every thing. It was the old side sticks that would engage the clutches and foot pedals, but still managed to drink his Old Milwaukee while leveling ground. He even carried around 2 extra beers in an empty sugar sack, for those extra long jobs.

This is also a man that had no left ear. Though he did have a pretty bad rear end collection of cars that he could no longer drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPFdjJb2O6w
This really brings back lots of memories.... just the sound alone.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 24, 2013

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Motronic posted:

You know you want some of this.

I do. I want all of that. And a speaker for Bitchin' Betty what tells me when it's too hot and that all the things are starting up. I look forward to finding parallel street parking for the bobcat I’m buying after work
Fakeeddit: I suppose I could just use the digger bit too *~Remove~* my neighbors :hurr:

RealEdit: Roomate just called to let me know that the guy next door was very mad for the 18th time that his driveway was 1/8th of an inch blocked by my roomates car. I will buy the bobcat and then engage in construction projects like flipping his solara over.

AcidRonin fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 26, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAkhhPPAZCw

AcidRonin posted:

RealEdit: Roomate just called to let me know that the guy next door was very mad for the 18th time that his driveway was 1/8th of an inch blocked by my roomates car. I will buy the bobcat and then engage in construction projects like flipping his solara over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDWSCydwiGI

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Sweet suburban justice. I will mechanize neighborhood watch.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Pics today!

AcidRonin posted:

Funny story. Spring 2012 pop and I went about an hour away with our machines to help a friend clean out his sump ponds for irrigation. Three day job, we got finished up and paid off, as we were heading out a seismic crew that was working in the area had decided to park two of their trucks right in the middle of our trailers and fuel trailer.

One of the seismic crew trucks was blocking me from being able to get hooked up to my trailer, so I got in my truck and went down the road to find the crew's super. Found him and he said the truck was his, I asked him to come move it and he basically blew me off. I told him that if he wasn't there in five minutes to move his piece of poo poo truck I was going to flip it over in the bottom of the pond.

Mind you, the landowner is a friend and he's been having problems with these jerks, I have been on site for three days and they made my life harder than it had to be more than once.

He didn't think I was serious until I got the corner of my bucket under the back bumper of his truck and lifted it off the ground. That fat bastard came running across the pasture waving his keys over his head so I set the truck down. He hopped in, fired it up and the last I saw of him he was heading south over the hill.

Paul called me a week later and said that the corporate boss of that supervisor came down and had a talk with Paul and left of with a very different impression of the way his crew was operating.

Onward to pics!
More storm damage, this fence got hit by lightning. The cable can't carry the current and it burns, saving the energizer. High tensile wire will carry enough of the lightning to fry the energizer. When it hits it basically vaporizes 20 or so yards of the cable and the end looks like it was cut with a torch.
(stupid camera phone)

mostly what I have is pics of the track replacement. I paid some prancing deere tax and had JD come put them on. It took them about an hour and fifteen minutes. I had it jacked up, on blocks/stands and all the tension off the tracks.

Maybe I should back up and show you the damage. The tracks are rubber, with an endless cable running one each side on the outside. The drive sprocket engages steel crossbars (if this was a steel track machine they'd be called grousers if that helps) that are embedded in the rubber. The cables and crossbars are NOT connected. The crossbars transfer drive power from the sprocket to the track. The cables keep stretch under control.

These are what the crossbars look like when they aren't in the track where they are supposed to be.

Since this is AI, i'm going to assume that ya'll are understanding what I am telling you and showing you.

Notice the cracks, this is also where one of those crossbars is supposed to be.

More cracks and missing crossbar.

This is my fault, I've been running them too tight to keep them on in the brush. I just need to slow the frick down and be more careful. Expensive lesson. :(

So here's what three grand worth of new tracks looks like.

Cue the Gray shirts!
'Ten ton' crane on that truck couldn't lift my 12,000 pound track loader. had to toss my 8 ton bottle jack under there to get another inch of lift.

Step one, pry the track off and use the crane to move it around.

I didn't/couldn't get pics of the process because I had to be in the machine to roll the drives forward and back to roll the track on.

Nekkid drive sprocket

Side shot of the undercarriage. I checked all the rollers for play and bearing noise. All good there. :)

Flying tracks!

I swear it just jumped on there.

Proof we at least took the track off the other side....

gently caress you imgur for deleting pics. Guess I'll have to take some more tomorrow.

It rides a lot better with these and they turn better every way but spinning (which is the worst thing you can do anyway.) I have a poo poo load more traction, I pushed a couple scraper loads and I really like these tracks.

Couple other things went on, had a trailer tire simply decide to stop living and it came apart.

It was still holding 60 psi, I treated it like an armed bomb until I got the valve core out.

I also had to shovel out a couple tons (literally) of mud and rock that was stuck in my dump truck.

This flustercluck...

Turned into this pile.

I tilted the bed up as high as I could and keep my feet under me, tripped the back gate and climbed up a ladder, got in the truck and shoveled. Took about an hour and fifteen minutes and I was covered in sweat. Not very much fun.

How was your week?

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I... swept out the bed of my truck because it had some branches and dirt and stuff in it, and broke up some concrete.

I don't think anyone could be any be more badass than you, at least here on SA. :(

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Thats what our little Vermeer did- Threw a couple of the cross bars, but ours was from running the tracks too loose. Its a fun feeling loosing then because all of a sudden you get this "BANG BUMP BANG BUMP BANG BUMP" as the tracks drop an extra inch or so into the drive sprocket and the sprocket digs into the ground THROUGH the tracks

Even on the vermeer with its 4' wheelbase those tracks are stupidly heavy- took two of us to get the drat things on there.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Used Sunlight sales posted:

How was your week?

I turned wrench on my new bike in suburbia and cried deeply when i realized it would never be as cool as your army of big machines. I then went to the store and bought some cowflesh to cook for dinner. It was tasty. That story about flipping a fat guy’s car into a pond about made my day though.

Part of me wonders what a cow must thing when they see you in big machines or a big section of fence get vaporized. Then i realize that it's a cow, and it cant understand.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Funny story. Spring 2012 pop and I went about an hour away with our machines to help a friend clean out his sump ponds for irrigation. Three day job, we got finished up and paid off, as we were heading out a seismic crew that was working in the area had decided to park two of their trucks right in the middle of our trailers and fuel trailer.

One of the seismic crew trucks was blocking me from being able to get hooked up to my trailer, so I got in my truck and went down the road to find the crew's super. Found him and he said the truck was his, I asked him to come move it and he basically blew me off. I told him that if he wasn't there in five minutes to move his piece of poo poo truck I was going to flip it over in the bottom of the pond.

Mind you, the landowner is a friend and he's been having problems with these jerks, I have been on site for three days and they made my life harder than it had to be more than once.

He didn't think I was serious until I got the corner of my bucket under the back bumper of his truck and lifted it off the ground. That fat bastard came running across the pasture waving his keys over his head so I set the truck down. He hopped in, fired it up and the last I saw of him he was heading south over the hill.

Paul called me a week later and said that the corporate boss of that supervisor came down and had a talk with Paul and left of with a very different impression of the way his crew was operating.

Reminds me of the story a old boss of mine told me, he was working well off road putting in washouts and poo poo in the woods, and hiked out of the site to find that a Forest Service Ranger had pulled up to the rear of his truck and then the ranger used his winch cable to tie himself to the back of the work truck. I guess the ranger thought he was poaching or something, not too sure. Anyway, bossman waited 5 minutes, got bored, fired up the cutting torch and cut the frame rails off the front of the ranger's truck and took the whole bumper and winch with him.

Needless to say it went to court, the ranger was told never to loving do that again, and my boss was told next him just to cut the cable.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's a pretty awesome way to get a free winch. That ranger sounds like a total idiot - I would expect a poacher's truck to look a lot different from one carrying a cutting torch.

Or maybe it was some kind of nutcup-style invitation to sadistic sex games in the forest.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

AcidRonin posted:

Part of me wonders what a cow must thing when they see you in big machines or a big section of fence get vaporized. Then I realize that it's a cow, and it cant understand.

Cows are funny critters, and I spend lots of time with them.

They are somewhat intelligent and trainable, but I supposed we've had a few generations to breed those traits in that we want.

They learn electric fences are hot and to stay the hell away from them real fast.

I think that cows find food with their noses, the eyes are mostly work like a close range search radar. What attracts them most is noise. I can make a recording of the sound of the feeder running, sounding like it's dropping feed on the ground, play it on a boombox in the middle of the pasture while riding a four wheeler and they will come running to me. When they get there they are a little confused though....

Simple positive reinforcement with treats is the easiest way to train any animal, you just had to find the right stimulus and right treat.

Been working on my skid steer all day, one trip to Mecca and I'm frustrated. Something is wrong electrically, I thought it was rats eating my wiring, but that's not the case.
After taking about two 5 gallon buckets worth of fine dust and wood debris out of the machine and going hand over hand the entire wiring harness, I can't find anything wrong.

JD is sending a tech down Wednesday morning. FML, can't wait to get that bill. I hope it's a computer box, because I have two more years of warranty on all the computers, but the labor is still going to high as gently caress.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

I think that cows find food with their noses, the eyes are mostly work like a close range search radar. What attracts them most is noise. I can make a recording of the sound of the feeder running, sounding like it's dropping feed on the ground, play it on a boombox in the middle of the pasture while riding a four wheeler and they will come running to me. When they get there they are a little confused though....

We used to think our sheep came running if they saw a grey Land Rover or a Land Rover unloading sacks, but after a while we realised that any Land Rover that ran as roughly as the shepherd's would bring them post haste.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vindolanda posted:

We used to think our sheep came running if they saw a grey Land Rover or a Land Rover unloading sacks, but after a while we realised that any Land Rover that ran as roughly as the shepherd's would bring them post haste.

That lines up with the horses I used to keep. They all knew the sound of the pickup that drug them around/showed up shortly before they got fed and would come running to the barn when they heard it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

These ladies came a-running the minute we pulled over in our rental Kia, on a hillside outside of Zurich last month. They were very curious & kept us company.

They seemed to be heifers, definitely female but with no dropped bag. Since I lived there many years ago, it seems the Swiss farmers are cross-breeding the Swiss brown with the Jersey. Growing up, we only ever saw the former around our house.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

A fun trick is to find a spot in a cow paddock not occupied with half a bucket of liquid poo poo and lay down. Count how long it takes for all the cows to gather around you going "WTF is that?"

Then get up and run like your arse is on fire because you failed to see the black Angus bull in the mob and he's bigger than your car!

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

Ferremit posted:

A fun trick is to find a spot in a cow paddock not occupied with half a bucket of liquid poo poo and lay down. Count how long it takes for all the cows to gather around you going "WTF is that?"

Then get up and run like your arse is on fire because you failed to see the black Angus bull in the mob and he's bigger than your car!

They more or less come over in small groups and check you out and then leave you alone.

What did you do for fun growing up?

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Ferremit posted:

This sounds....like something that should not be done :ohdear:. When you say Mecca, do you mean the JD Store or something? I don't think DC Has one of those....so I'm not really sure.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

They more or less come over in small groups and check you out and then leave you alone.

What did you do for fun growing up?

I grew up on a sheep farm, my neighbours had cattle.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Ferremit posted:

I grew up on a sheep farm, my neighbours had cattle.

Is it true, what they say about aussies and sheep farms?

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

AcidRonin posted:

When you say Mecca, do you mean the JD Store or something?

Yes, and my thought behind the joke is that it's a pilgrimage I seem to make a lot.

Just passing through the house, having some food. I'm heading back out to the ranch to do some scraper work and mess with a creek crossing.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Yes, and my thought behind the joke is that it's a pilgrimage I seem to make a

The joke was funny, I just don't have any experience buying name-brand industrial farm equipment. Something that torments me nightly. I take it they are one of the best for this sort of thing? Seems like they do good work though (I.e. Comeing out to your ranch and helping with installs) but maybey all these farming-gear companys do that :iiam:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

AcidRonin posted:

The joke was funny, I just don't have any experience buying name-brand industrial farm equipment. Something that torments me nightly. I take it they are one of the best for this sort of thing? Seems like they do good work though (I.e. Comeing out to your ranch and helping with installs) but maybey all these farming-gear companys do that :iiam:
It's likely no different from any other kind of industrial support. You pick up the phone and say "The loving fucker's loving hosed", they jump in the bat-transit and come and unfuck it. For a price. Downtime costs money, and all they have to do is cost less.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
I like Deere because they have the best parts system on Earth. Need an obscure part for a rare combine that they only made 500 of 40 years ago? They can get it next week.

Mobile techs are not cheap, but neither is downtime. It's about a half day project to haul it to Deere, 3 hours is about what it takes to get there and back, load, unload and do all the loving around you have to do.

They should be able to run down and troubleshoot the electrical gremlins I'm having in a couple hours. Hopefully it's something warrantied.

Basically every company that sells heavy equipment or ag equipment has a small fleet of mobile service trucks.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
PartsCountry.com is a JD program and it loving rocks. I know a buddy that has a couple of old rear end Gleaner combines that he can still find pretty much every part he has ever needed of there too as well.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

kastein posted:

Is it true, what they say about aussies and sheep farms?

You've got us confused with the Kiwi's again :P

I agree bout their parts program- its one of the few that will give toyota's parts system a run for its money (I still cant believe I can buy brand new geunine parts for 20+yr old toyotas!).

Im bitterly dissapointed that work sold their JD front deck mower and bought a pair of Mid Deck Toro Groundmaster 360's- The Deere survived 9 years and 3800hrs of "Oops, its overdue by 300hrs for an oil change, better book it in. Oh gently caress i forgot, its not 420hrs overdue!" servicing and outright abuse and apart from writing off a deck from ramming bollards and trees with it, mechanically the engine and gearbox were as strong as an ox.

The new toro's are proving to be a bit lemony... first one lasted...6hrs and got jammed in reverse because a circlip fell off, then at 50hrs the deck gearbox exploded, at 100hr the factory blades were totally hosed and at 140hrs the fan belt decided to shred itself.

Its not looking promising. Plus toro parts make John deere parts look cheap- Set of 3 blades for a 72" deck Deere? $30 each + $8 for the bolt and washer. Toro? $55 each blade, $10 EACH for the bolt, $3 for the washer!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I like Deere because they have the best parts system on Earth. Need an obscure part for a rare combine that they only made 500 of 40 years ago? They can get it next week.

Mobile techs are not cheap, but neither is downtime. It's about a half day project to haul it to Deere, 3 hours is about what it takes to get there and back, load, unload and do all the loving around you have to do.

They should be able to run down and troubleshoot the electrical gremlins I'm having in a couple hours. Hopefully it's something warrantied.

Basically every company that sells heavy equipment or ag equipment has a small fleet of mobile service trucks.

If it's covered under warranty does that also cover the labor, or are you on the hook for that?

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

The Midniter posted:

If it's covered under warranty does that also cover the labor, or are you on the hook for that?

I have to reread the fine print on the dealie, but there's a 200 dollar deductible on covered repairs, and I have to pay Windshield time. JD picks up the parts and tech time. If it's NOT something under warranty, it's $95/hr, including windshield time. I was incorrect about that.

After waiting three hours for the tech to show up, I gave him a run down of what was going on and he set to work.

I can't miss any meals, so I ran home for lunch.

Tomorrow, I have myself talked into trading in my Harley on another Harley..... Put here or in CA?

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

I have myself talked into trading in my Harley on another Harley..... Put here or in CA?

Might as well use the Sunlight mega thread :). I suppose the Harley is NOT for ranching?

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

AcidRonin posted:

I suppose the Harley is NOT for ranching?

Since I know the NSA is reading everything and they probably talk to the IRS, we'll just call it a "Management expense."

The Deere tech left...with a 300 bill. There was a loose connector inside the main computer box. :suicide:

I'll be in the garage taking all the chrome off my Softail Heritage, and gettin ready to bring home an Ultra Classic! I'm excited. :)

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

US TAX CODE posted:

Deductible local transportation expenses include the ordinary and necessary expenses of going from one workplace (away from the residence) to another.

sounds like a tax write off to me!

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

AcidRonin posted:

sounds like a tax write off to me!

Heh, firearms and ammunition can be considered farm/ranch supplies. :)

So is ALL my diesel fuel.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Do you have "red" (tax free) diesel for non-road use in the US?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InitialDave posted:

Do you have "red" (tax free) diesel for non-road use in the US?

Yes, and if you get caught running it for purposes other than intended, you tend to get spitroasted.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

West SAAB Story posted:

Yes, and if you get caught running it for purposes other than intended, you tend to get spitroasted.

DO you just not have criminals in the country? Who the gently caress is patrolling the use of your "farm use only desiel" card? I never thought i wanted to move to the midwest untill this thread.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

AcidRonin posted:

DO you just not have criminals in the country? Who the gently caress is patrolling the use of your "farm use only desiel" card? I never thought i wanted to move to the midwest untill this thread.

I used to live in a rural area and saw it a few times. Never just on a random traffic stop, but once at a set of scales along a route commonly used by the local farmers and a few times at the entrance to what looked like livestock sales. Seems like they just set up where the likely culprits will come to them, in which case given the $1000 minimum fine (here it's $1000 or $10 per gallon of capacity, whichever's larger) all it takes is a few hits to cover the cost of putting an officer there.

Plus it is road tax related, our roads in this country are underfunded as gently caress so I can get behind efforts to ensure compliance.

edit: Semi-related, some states enforce similarly against biodiesel/WVO users unless they can prove they paid the road tax or bought it from a retailer which handled that. It requires more equipment than a plain dip tube IIRC so its much less common, but a good reason to not plaster the vehicle with stickers proclaiming your potential use of untaxed fuel as some of those people do.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 12, 2013

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

AcidRonin posted:

People do get pulled over and have their tanks dipped, though I don't think it happens too often to people driving smaller diesels (anything that can be driven without a CDL).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

So it's literally just actually red? Their is no change in the actuall chemical itself it's just red to let the IRS know you didnt pay tax for it?

• Locked thread