Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey
It was my birthday on the weekend, so my wife got me a gift certificate to be redeemed on a custom plate for the toy car. I ordered this today:

"SennaNSX"

A couple others I was thinking of were:

OldHonda
Insecure

But decided that the insecure one would get me keyed and being in Canada, the Honda reference might be lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Rhyno posted:

I cleaned and reorganized my ride's house.

Threw out 4 garbage cans of poo poo, set aside a ton of crap to donate and didn't even touch the contents of those blue bins up top. All the poo poo on the right side of the garage will be gone by the end of the month giving me a little more breathing room for the car.

Right on man, nothing beats elbow room!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mat_Drinks posted:

Right on man, nothing beats elbow room!

You were my inspiration!

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Fart Pipe posted:

Do you rallycross it with that splitter? How does it not get ripped off 3 seconds after you leave the start line?

My rally days are long over with this car, it is basically for track and autocross us only these now. The last time I drove the car for weekend golf I destroyed the front end on a bunch of gravel and dirt that piled up on the road after a monsoon storm. The carbon blew up like an F1 crash, poo poo was crazy.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Quoting what I posted from the Hot Hatch thread for what I did to my rid last night:

Ringo Star Get posted:

Put on a set of RokBlokz Rally Mudflaps on the ST. Aiming for a set of steelies and winter tires to complete the look for the Illinois winter. Maybe plastidip the steelies white?

Anyways, pics. Pardon the iPhone quality, I think I need to get re-accustomed to my Nikon L810 again:

Fronts were no problem, just crank the wheel to move the tires out of the way. The real fun were the rear sets. Either you could squeeze them in with the rear end jacked up or remove the tires. I opted for the removing of tires:

Finished! I actually had the "RB" stickers on wrong but luckily they give you a lot if you mess up.

Here it is in daylight. Car has been dirty due to my apartment complex mowing and doing yardwork every week to kick up dust and dirt. With how low the flaps go, looks like no automated carwash lines for me anymore.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Parting out cars is too much god damned work.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Today I reattached a speaker blanking plate properly. A PO used blu-tac when it should have been held on with 4xM5 flanged nuts that go on the captive bolts. Yes this is for a speaker grille blank about the size of a postcard. I found the nuts kicking around previously but didn't know what they were for so they got reused. So I used normal nuts and flat washers.

I also installed the trim ring I bought for the driver's window winder handle. Of course it didn't fit so I spent some time using a step drill bit like a primitive hone. Got it perfect and installed it. It doesn't sit right. Oh well. Who cares. It's just to stop the door card hole from getting torn anyway. It can go with the incorrect inner door handle I bought for that side. I have a better than original one too with a metal backing plate but I've already modified the trim piece to fit the door handle.

Yesterday I pulled the radiator again and used a shitload of 60/40 silver / lead solder all around the tank. On inspection today the fucker still defies me and leaks. At least I've slowed it down and outright stopped a few leaks I guess.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Crustashio posted:

Parting out cars is too much god damned work.

Yes, it really is. I bought two to part out, got them both really cheap to make decent money on, and then nothing sold. Never mind having to strip them, cut them up and weigh them in, i have almost two cars-worth of parts that aren't selling. Lots of people want stuff, right up until they have to fork out the money, then it's maybe next month, or they're not sure those seats are the right colour.

Last night a friend and i fitted my new rear axle with bigger brakes and new uprated axle bushes. I then drove out onto the road to experience the worst wheel bearing noise i've ever heard. Sooooo.. off this morning to pick up a pair of rear wheel bearings. Already done both fronts, might as well do both rears.

So ended up doing..

Rear axle
Rear axle bushes
Rear wheel bearings
Rear brake discs
Rear brake pads
Front top mounts
Front tyres

Want to get her aligned, so while i was doing the front top mounts i thought i'd loosen/lubricate the track rods, nope, both rusted and seized solid. So off tomorrow to buy two new track rods. Also have to install my new front anti-roll bar bushes.

Running out of things to replace on my beloved Wilma, but drat do my new rear brakes look good..

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 12, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I fixed the grilles. they stay in now. I also did the rear brake pads and front o2 sensors.

Then i looked under the hood and figured, "that's all too boring and grey".

So i grabbed the lime green spraypaint.

Much better! Much more xtreeeem

incase it isn't obvious, the paint pictures are reversed, i was hoping the paint stripper could save the engine cover like it did the airbox and filter covers, but no luck, that will teach me to open the hood before impulse buying cheap auction cars.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Got my new (non-bearing-contaminated) oil cooler for the Protege today, got it installed. Also put on the crank pulley, water pump pulley, and alternator, as well as swapped the ARP manifold stud over to the new motor. I'm getting really close to ready to drop the new engine in, and I just discovered I've got no school on Tuesday so ideally I'll try and get it dropped in then.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Powershift posted:

incase it isn't obvious, the paint pictures are reversed, i was hoping the paint stripper could save the engine cover like it did the airbox and filter covers, but no luck, that will teach me to open the hood before impulse buying cheap auction cars.

That was hilarious, I was certain you were an idiot for a moment. Nice job on the stripping.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Mooseykins posted:

Yes, it really is. I bought two to part out, got them both really cheap to make decent money on, and then nothing sold. Never mind having to strip them, cut them up and weigh them in, i have almost two cars-worth of parts that aren't selling. Lots of people want stuff, right up until they have to fork out the money, then it's maybe next month, or they're not sure those seats are the right colour.

The one I'm parting out is my old daily - way too rusty to pass safety, has rear quarter damage from a concrete pillar. Would probably sell for 1k TOPS. So far I've made just over 1k selling poo poo, but I'm still stuck with a lot of the big parts. Motor, transmission, exhaust, steering rack, shocks/struts. Then I just have boxes of crap and miscellaneous stuff like headliner, dashboard, etc. I'd say I've got about 1500 worth of parts, but everyone flakes when they have to spend more then 100 bucks.

I'll just be happy once the motor is out. After that I can unload the shell, put the big poo poo into storage and just wait for buyers. Anything that hasn't sold after a year goes to the dump.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm confused... I thought lime green went on the outside of BMWs?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Crustashio posted:

The one I'm parting out is my old daily - way too rusty to pass safety, has rear quarter damage from a concrete pillar. Would probably sell for 1k TOPS. So far I've made just over 1k selling poo poo, but I'm still stuck with a lot of the big parts. Motor, transmission, exhaust, steering rack, shocks/struts. Then I just have boxes of crap and miscellaneous stuff like headliner, dashboard, etc. I'd say I've got about 1500 worth of parts, but everyone flakes when they have to spend more then 100 bucks.

I'll just be happy once the motor is out. After that I can unload the shell, put the big poo poo into storage and just wait for buyers. Anything that hasn't sold after a year goes to the dump.

As long as you've made enough to be satisfied you can always do the old "sell it so cheap that it sells" trick.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Installed two new outer tie rods and grease-able front sway bar end links. It's so nice to have a straight steering wheel that isn't sloppy and accompanied with clunking noises over bumps and random vibrations at expressway speeds. :)

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Powershift posted:

Much better! Much more xtreeeem

You forgot to put the cross back onto the airbox when you were done :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

You forgot to put the cross back onto the airbox when you were done :colbert:
don't worry. I keep garlic i the glovebox.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
Installed a new steering wheel in my Dart. With added audio controls and cruise. Everything connected up and worked with no problem. Only took 5 minutes as well.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tore my car apart to replace the control arm bushings, front stabiliser bushings, cradle bolts, and the endlinks only to have it start raining after finally burning one of the bolts out :saddowns:

edit: There was a 10% chance of rain. TEN PERCENT. :mad:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 13, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MidasAg posted:

Installed a new steering wheel in my Dart. With added audio controls and cruise. Everything connected up and worked with no problem. Only took 5 minutes as well.

Were the wires all already in steering wheel hub? I know in fords, even the ultra low base model vehicles have the wiring in place right up to the plug for power seats and such.

I replaced the MAF on my 540 with one from a VW for less than half the price of the BMW one. Only one place in town was even able to order the MAF, and only one place in town had the GOD drat 5 POINT TAMPER RESISTANT TORX BIT gently caress YOU VW gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU.

For future refrence for any canadians, this seems to be the only set in all of canada that has 5 point torx bits. http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Sets/68-pc-Ratcheting-T-Handle-Insert-Bit-Set/8380800.p

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

Tore my car apart to replace the control arm bushings, front stabiliser bushings, cradle bolts, and the endlinks only to have it start raining after finally burning one of the bolts out :saddowns:

edit: There was a 10% chance of rain. TEN PERCENT. :mad:

Please tell me you aren't working on that thing supported by a hydraulic jack only. :stare:

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I'm pretty sure I see some jackstands under there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think and hope you're right. I'm just all weird about lifting equipment since in the past 24 hours I've had to deal with my old Craftsman 3.5-ton floor jack deciding that two lifts in a day is enough, the rubber pad slipping off on my Harbor Freight 1.5-ton aluminum jack with a load on it, and buying a pair of Craftsman (I had a gift card) 3-ton jackstands that can actually be disengaged relatively easily with a load on them.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
My jack decided that it would be much happier rolling over the other week, and I cracked my front end. (I was not under it and was getting the stands under the car) :(

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Please tell me you aren't working on that thing supported by a hydraulic jack only. :stare:

In flip flops, most likely.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Another day, another dollar..

More parts to get the car totally rebuilt fixed and ready for wheel alignment. Both front track rods, track rod ends and front lower ball joints. Another £138, bringing this week's total to £562.59, excluding about £44 in diesel.

Also, what the gently caress, VW?

2 clips for the steering rack boots, and 7 nitrile O-rings for the boost pipes, £42.16!

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

Powershift posted:

Were the wires all already in steering wheel hub? I know in fords, even the ultra low base model vehicles have the wiring in place right up to the plug for power seats and such.

I replaced the MAF on my 540 with one from a VW for less than half the price of the BMW one. Only one place in town was even able to order the MAF, and only one place in town had the GOD drat 5 POINT TAMPER RESISTANT TORX BIT gently caress YOU VW gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU.

For future refrence for any canadians, this seems to be the only set in all of canada that has 5 point torx bits. http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Sets/68-pc-Ratcheting-T-Handle-Insert-Bit-Set/8380800.p

Yes, all the wires were already there, and present. With exchanging the wheels, it was pure plug and play. Doing this simple thing added cruise, and rear audio controls, along with the leather wheel. Did not have to mess with anything, or have anything programmed at a dealer. It seems that they put most of the software in this car, you just need to add certain control surfaces to enable it. Its pretty awesome.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Finished all of the front end bushings, installed the new end links and adjusted them, and torqued the cradle bolts to 74ft-lb spec and holy poo poo did it make a difference. No clunks, no groans, intensely tight turns and incredibly smooth shifts. Then as a reward I did this:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nope! Two jack stands under each side and the jack in the front to keep the cradle supported :downs:

Motronic posted:

In flip flops, most likely.

Barefoot, actually :smugbert:. Nah, I actually have a very swollen knee from getting a skin infection that started to spread to the joint before I was put on Augmentin, Dr thinks it's from crawling around on my hands and knees doing car stuff or scraping them up falling off my long board. So I was wearing jeans and boots since I was torch cutting and grinding on top of all that :v:.

Oh and I played with my car in Forza 4 :3:

I love the wingless and I love the car in white :3:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 14, 2013

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

Dr thinks it's from crawling around on my hands and knees doing car stuff...

All of us in here would be hosed then.:thumbsup:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Managed to get the crank pulley torqued and the flywheel bolts off. Got home from work late so nothing else, but I'll have a few more hours tomorrow so I'll try and do the rear main seal then. After that, new flywheel on, clutch together and it'll be ready to mate to the trans.

It's so close I can taste it.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Finally got off my arse for the 'No idea when the previous owner did this' oil change on the Soarer. While waiting for it to drain, I learnt how to use the diagnostic port and a paperclip to see what it's been busy noting - no massive errors, hurrar!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Did more work on the Wilma. Today it was both track rods and track rod ends, larger ones from an R32, both bottom ball joints, subframe bushes, boost pipe seals, gearbox dogbone mount bushes and probably something else i've forgotten.

Bumper and headlight off for boost pipe access..

Large puller to force out the old subframe bushes, they came out easy and the ally centres were pretty badly corroded/oxodized.

Pancake pipe and infamous "red pipe" now with all new seals. No more boost leak/turbo whistle. Wooooo..

Wheel alignment on Monday i hope, then it's just rear bumpstops and she's done!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tore my new rear main seal putting it in, gently caress you Advance. :argh: No second chances, I'm getting one from Mazda, but I work all day monday and my dealer is bitchy about placing orders by phone so I won't even be able to order it til Tuesday at the earliest. Maybe a miracle will happen and they'll have one in stock, but I'm not holding my breath.

God loving dammit I just want my car back is that so much to ask.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Camo Guitar posted:

Finally got off my arse for the 'No idea when the previous owner did this' oil change on the Soarer. While waiting for it to drain, I learnt how to use the diagnostic port and a paperclip to see what it's been busy noting - no massive errors, hurrar!

I love Soarers, and I think I've said this before, but the way they've come down in price over the last few years kind of would make me worried about picking one up.. I forget, was yours a 1UZ or 1J? Still a massive fan of them! :)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I use Google Maps nonstop at work, and also generally have my phone streaming music whenever I'm driving (factory head unit has an aux input).

Usually I just toss the phone in front of the cluster when Maps is running, but it blocks the gauges, and the charger cable won't reach it when it's up there. Plus it slides off easy.

Finally found a use for that pocket! :downs: And now I'm only blocking part of the tach instead of fuel + temp + speedo.

In our next episode, the amp and subwoofer from the Altima will be making an appearance in the Ion. Picked up a wiring kit and ordered a line level converter (amp has line level inputs, but I can't find the plug for it :saddowns: ), just need to figure out how to handle the amp's remote lead. Think I may wire it into the rear power outlet, it's the nearest switched power source I can think of.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Bypass valve had been venting to atmosphere, leading to a strong gasoliney stench and some stumbling/backfiring.

With creative use of epoxy, black hose, and some plastic tees from Orchard Supply it's being recirculated back into my intake. Problem solved.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I finally got around to taking the carpet machine to the GTP. It was starting to smell a bit stale in there not to mention looking more brown than grey.

Its amazing how filthy that water was when I dumped it out. Years and years of nastiness will do that I guess.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Got rid of my stupid plastic undertrays.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I drove the poo poo out of it and almost made an e30 consider driving above 4/10ths as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Pulled my ground and positive cables, threw the positive away, cleaned and put a new terminal on the ground, then put all of my tools away without installing them since it started raining. Job status: incomplete. Personal status: unsatisfied.