Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Basic Chunnel posted:

There are some pretty colossal female talents in grime right now if you ask me. Was hanging out in a plug fm room with a friend and he played this and it was good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev458ENOqZY

Roxxxan !!

Her last mixtape was pretty good yeah. A lot of them have been bubbling away for a while though. Mz Bratt (obviously), Lionness and Lady Leshurr all been about for a while and got talent. Though Cherri Voncelle normally does the whole R&B type thing, not too shabby either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I checked out Ikonika's latest release (her LP on Hyperdub) and I'm really liking it (surprise, another NOT boring Hyperdub release!). Seems like the revival of certain aspects of the nebulous 80s aesthetic have been spreading throughout the 'bass' scene lately.

EDIT: Have an old grime mixtape - Aim High Vol. 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COwIE8KMZKM

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 30, 2013

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Sophie has been lenging it down so far in 2013. Where did she/he/they come from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2gMXJEqt3c

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Mike_V posted:

I checked out Ikonika's latest release (her LP on Hyperdub) and I'm really liking it (surprise, another NOT boring Hyperdub release!). Seems like the revival of certain aspects of the nebulous 80s aesthetic have been spreading throughout the 'bass' scene lately.

Checked this out and I'm really digging it. The synths in it have a real nice vibe to it. On the flip side I've been getting back into the whole dub/reggae dubstep swing. I can't believe I never heard this track before but man do I have it on repeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bIhovHQGn0

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnl_qgrQAog
Myrryrs - Yaaah Refix

Can always count on Max Power from the OOUKFUNKYOO channel.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

EDIT: Have an old grime mixtape - Aim High Vol. 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COwIE8KMZKM

Definitely a lot better than the first LP. I was never too much of a fan of a lot of that 'second wave' Hyperdub stuff, but it's cool to see Ikonika develop in such a groovy direction. A bit of funk and movement about it which is what's needed, obviously helped by the 80s/Boogie influence (something I seem to be picking up a bit more, here and there). I'd like to see what'll be like in a year or so when it's all been assimilated a bit more.

And that's a nice grime channel. And they've put up the Practice Hours DVD, essential. Like I've said before the DVDs are almost what I really remember about those earlier grime days. Really showed the scene how it really was and really let us connect with it, even just down seeing cunts wearing the same gear we all knocked about in.

b0red posted:

Checked this out and I'm really digging it. The synths in it have a real nice vibe to it. On the flip side I've been getting back into the whole dub/reggae dubstep swing. I can't believe I never heard this track before but man do I have it on repeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bIhovHQGn0

The steppers/digidub scene was a big influence to Dubstep at the time. More than one criticism at the time was some of the Dubstep stuff hewed a bit too closely to that influence. Actually probably one of the reasons it managed to catch on up here so much, with the g-town having had quite a decent wee reggae/dub scene with a couple of decent sound systems. I remember spending a lot of nights skanking away. If you can ever go hear that sound in a proper dance with a good system you'll be in heaven.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

If you're looking for more, check out J:Kenzo or VIVEK's show on Rinse. I believe they alternate on Thursday evenings (J:Kenzo has an hour of show left now).

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

The steppers/digidub scene was a big influence to Dubstep at the time. More than one criticism at the time was some of the Dubstep stuff hewed a bit too closely to that influence. Actually probably one of the reasons it managed to catch on up here so much, with the g-town having had quite a decent wee reggae/dub scene with a couple of decent sound systems. I remember spending a lot of nights skanking away. If you can ever go hear that sound in a proper dance with a good system you'll be in heaven.

I can only dream of going somewhere that played this kind of music. I seriously doubt DC has anything remotely like this, at most baltimore may have something similar. Got any recommendations on the steppers/digidub scene? It's a pretty sick vibe. I've been diving a little bit into the jahtari stuff but i doubt i've scratched the surface.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

b0red posted:

I can only dream of going somewhere that played this kind of music. I seriously doubt DC has anything remotely like this, at most baltimore may have something similar. Got any recommendations on the steppers/digidub scene? It's a pretty sick vibe. I've been diving a little bit into the jahtari stuff but i doubt i've scratched the surface.

Yeah I guess a lot of that stuff is fairly UK-centric, I guess since they're kinda rooting out from Shaka, Aswad and all those other early UK Dub things. On saying that I know it's got a decent following on the continent, in France and Germany for instance, with some homegrown stuff coming out of there too.

So for some steppers/digi/general UK Dub-type things I actually think I went over it before in the old thread, but that was loving years ago so I'll do a quick rundown. Now I'm not gonna be pushing the boat out too much here but whatever. You already know about Jahtari and Vibronics, but the latter also run the Scoops label which is excellent (I posted this track on the reggae thread a few days ago coincidentally) Other clasic standbys are obviously Iration Steppas (who also to link it back in with the UKB History was once upon a time bleepers Ital Rockers) who've actually just had their new album out a couple months back.

Bush Chemists are another classic, as is Zion Train (check their label Universal Egg too). All are actually long time survivors, stretching right back into the 90s which I think is the time a lot of people think of when they talk about that sound (and no wonder with the likes of Sound 'N' Pressure and early Aba Shanti stuff floating about).

Though it's not a dead scene, with plenty of smaller labels and artists floating about out there. A lot are really just off-shoots of sound systems, such as Operation Sound, who are I want to say Leeds but cannae remember. Don't release too much too regular, but always good. Counteraction is another cool wee unit who just pop out a 10" every year or two.

I wouldn't spout pure cheek and call them a 'smaller' label, but there's also classic Jah Tubbys label too, though the prices are crazy on their stuff which is a shame. All classic. Actually check the run-out grooves on your old Hardcore/Jungle/garage records and if it's got JTS scratched in it was mastered or pressed with Tubbys. Longtime legends.

And to once again rep the hometown, there's also Mungo's HiFi, probably best known for their occasional dip into Dubstep. Actually provided the sound to the first Dubstep dance in Glasgow if I remember right, which was Mala (though pre-going by that name when it was always pretty much just Digital Mystikz) with Pokes until what ended up being 5am or something like that at what's now the Afro-Caribbean Centre in town.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Yeah I guess a lot of that stuff is fairly UK-centric, I guess since they're kinda rooting out from Shaka, Aswad and all those other early UK Dub things. On saying that I know it's got a decent following on the continent, in France and Germany for instance, with some homegrown stuff coming out of there too.

So for some steppers/digi/general UK Dub-type things I actually think I went over it before in the old thread, but that was loving years ago so I'll do a quick rundown. Now I'm not gonna be pushing the boat out too much here but whatever. You already know about Jahtari and Vibronics, but the latter also run the Scoops label which is excellent (I posted this track on the reggae thread a few days ago coincidentally) Other clasic standbys are obviously Iration Steppas (who also to link it back in with the UKB History was once upon a time bleepers Ital Rockers) who've actually just had their new album out a couple months back.

Bush Chemists are another classic, as is Zion Train (check their label Universal Egg too). All are actually long time survivors, stretching right back into the 90s which I think is the time a lot of people think of when they talk about that sound (and no wonder with the likes of Sound 'N' Pressure and early Aba Shanti stuff floating about).

Though it's not a dead scene, with plenty of smaller labels and artists floating about out there. A lot are really just off-shoots of sound systems, such as Operation Sound, who are I want to say Leeds but cannae remember. Don't release too much too regular, but always good. Counteraction is another cool wee unit who just pop out a 10" every year or two.

I wouldn't spout pure cheek and call them a 'smaller' label, but there's also classic Jah Tubbys label too, though the prices are crazy on their stuff which is a shame. All classic. Actually check the run-out grooves on your old Hardcore/Jungle/garage records and if it's got JTS scratched in it was mastered or pressed with Tubbys. Longtime legends.

And to once again rep the hometown, there's also Mungo's HiFi, probably best known for their occasional dip into Dubstep. Actually provided the sound to the first Dubstep dance in Glasgow if I remember right, which was Mala (though pre-going by that name when it was always pretty much just Digital Mystikz) with Pokes until what ended up being 5am or something like that at what's now the Afro-Caribbean Centre in town.

Wow. Some serious tunes in this post. I can't thank you enough man, I'm gonna take every avenue you posted and just try to absorb as much as possible. Gotta love this kinda sound.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

b0red posted:

Wow. Some serious tunes in this post. I can't thank you enough man, I'm gonna take every avenue you posted and just try to absorb as much as possible. Gotta love this kinda sound.

Nae problem. You can just use Discogs or whatever for labels etc, though it's never 100% complete on this kinda stuff.

Anyway another Grime artist to sign up to a bigger label is Scrufizzer, who signed to Black Butter the other month and his debut single has dropped. Zed Bias on the buttons.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
While I am digging MJazz's new comp Modernists Vol 4 (especially the two Justice tracks on them, one with Deep Blue and the other with Metro - very Detroity), I got to admit I'm not a fan of the handmade sleeve. I can accept the spray paint stencil thing, but it's on just some folded cartridge paper which feels a bit cheap. At least get some good quality card or something! Spray painted CD-R and stickers also reminds me of having to buy my friends lovely bands CDs when we was young.

Oh well, maybe I should've bought the cassette. Cheaper too which surprised me. I even have a usable (if pretty poo poo) cassette player since I had to dig up a very old Alba (not even Bush!) system to record the AGCG holy grail Trip City cassette I finally managed to snag a while back after looking for it for years.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

New DJ Madd white label release shipping out this friday. £7.99 @ Redeye Records

Mr Marshall / Bad Mind

Really digging this tune since I love Mr Marshall originally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONTzsoXa1TQ

This one is groovy as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj0DACPVVDM

Overall I'm pretty excited to get this on vinyl.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Spooky's djing at a butterz thing for the next few hours on ustream http://www.ustream.tv/channel/butterz-tv

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

This came out a couple months back, but I just got around to checking it out. Harddrive Presents Hardwired is very good. Lot of heavy hitters from grime, but that's to be expected if a legend like Terror Danjah comes calling to put you on a compilation.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
And speaking of Spooky, his latest single Baby has dropped (though you've probably heard it floating about before now). Digital though, which is an always expected boo nowdays. Still the DJ Q and Mista Men mixes are kicking. It also has a promo video which came out a few days ago which is pretty er... special.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

lol that original mix is basically begging for a DJ Q remix.

Also, I've exhausted my efforts and now I'm turning to this thread. Can anyone ID the track the track around the 6 minute mark or w/e (the one that's right before JME - Work)? I'm pretty sure it's a Spyro tune, but not positive. Additionally, what is the Big Narstie track that comes right after JME - Work?

http://podcast.dgen.net/rinsefm/podcast/TheGrimeShow040813.mp3

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

No PM's else I'd have sent one out - Maguro, do you have any club nights/venues to suggest this weekend in New Orleans? Got a friend going down there.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

air- posted:

No PM's else I'd have sent one out - Maguro, do you have any club nights/venues to suggest this weekend in New Orleans? Got a friend going down there.

IMO the New Orleans scene has gone to complete poo poo, I have declined the vast majority of local gigs I've been offered recently.

Honestly I would have a hard time recommending anything to your friend unless they are into the big American Dubstep/Trap artists, cause they are not gonna hear much else at most of the electronic nights. Every once and a while a decent act comes through (for example the next gig I'm going to that isn't one of my own is gonna be James blake....in october, and I still might skip it cause it's dull). There are good shows at the Hi-ho Lounge but they are not regular. You could say the same thing for many of the other venues in town (the music is not consistent at all).

The House/techno party has shut down to my knowledge(turns out they started up again but they don't have a constant venue). There will probably be some good DJs playing when Southern Decadence starts, but I haven't heard anything confirmed. Even the gig that I have scheduled is not set in stone.

You also have to consider that the Electronic scene thrives off of the university students being in town, and they are JUST starting to move back.

I mean if your friend is desperate I can tell them the existing parties, but I would feel guilty. They should just visit some of our world-class sit down bars and just enjoy their drugs and booze there. If you want to let me know what part of town they are staying in I can name a few more good hang out spots.

If they are open to non-electronic music, or even reggae and dancehall, I would have a lot more suggestions. Due to our large rasta population we have some great reggae nights, and even a dancehall and soca only club.

Rusty Lazer is playing the Hi-ho this sunday if they wanna hear some bounce. Some friends of mine are playing some really poo poo parties this weekend that I could tell you about if they are into trap...

Maguro fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 31, 2013

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

If you're looking for a barrage of classic grime riddims, check out Sir Spyro's show from this past Sunday. Halfway through his set he has his Rinse Vault section and it's a 2k8 show with Maximum on the decks with Wiley MCing. I didn't even know a lot of them and they were all so good. Sounded like a couple VIPs that probably never saw releases.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Maguro posted:

If they are open to non-electronic music, or even reggae and dancehall, I would have a lot more suggestions. Due to our large rasta population we have some great reggae nights, and even a dancehall and soca only club.

Rusty Lazer is playing the Hi-ho this sunday if they wanna hear some bounce. Some friends of mine are playing some really poo poo parties this weekend that I could tell you about if they are into trap...

Glad to hear the honest opinion, she's coming from DC so she would be ok with the the reggae/dancehall or any other suggestions then, even jazz too. She wouldn't want American dubstep or trap for sure.

e: Also heard back, she's staying at the French Quarter.

air- fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 20, 2013

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

air- posted:

Glad to hear the honest opinion, she's coming from DC so she would be ok with the the reggae/dancehall or any other suggestions then, even jazz too. She wouldn't want American dubstep or trap for sure.

e: Also heard back, she's staying at the French Quarter.

The dancehall only club is called "club caribbean". She would have to take a cab but its not very far outside of the quarter. If she goes there early in the afternoon there is an incredible record shop called "domino records".

Also she should check out "Skullyz records" on bourbon street since it will be in walking distance for her. You can get some really good modern dance records/cds in there, and his other stock is great too.

It's a shame she isn't coming on Sept. 27th. Red Bull is throwing a party at the Hi-ho and Aril Brikha is playing!

EDIT: And tonight there is a Soundclash DJ battle at Hi-ho: https://www.facebook.com/events/469425499808382/

Maguro fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 23, 2013

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Sweet loving jesus, the I am legion album is great. The production is next level poo poo - it's legitimately some of the best I've ever heard on a purely technical level. Don't know if I want to quit making music, or leave my job and work on it for 16 hours a day in the vague hope of one day making anything that can come close to this.

It's a collaboration between noisia and foreign beggars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=199TISojIgw

I think that's one of the weaker tracks off the album, but it's the only one they have released. The whole thing is a serious body of work.
Is there even a hype train running for this? My friend who's on the ball with this got me onto it, but I've not seen it mentioned anywhere, and it really should be. I know it's not out yet, but this is a hell of a collaboration that managed to become more than the sum of it's parts.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Chump Change is someone on here right? Pretty cool to get a blogpost from Simon Reynolds http://energyflashbysimonreynolds.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/more-retro-rinse.html

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
2 posts above yours, maguro. nice work man!

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Thanks guys! The tune is still a free download for a short while. It also got signed to PHILTHTRAX so it will be on my EP for them.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Maguro posted:

Thanks guys! The tune is still a free download for a short while. It also got signed to PHILTHTRAX so it will be on my EP for them.

Make sure you get cash upfront bruv!

Anyway you guys you may know Chemical is in admin right now, so a lot of poo poo is on sale at crazy prices like 50p or 99p. Naturally I'm telling you this after I loaded up with poo poo. Everyman for himself! No idea what'll happen to the likes of Black Box/Box Clever though, since I'm sure they were owned and funded by Chem, though it does explain the problems with the latest Author album.

Sadly one thing I didn't manage to catch on sale was the new single by Aethority on that wonderful French label ClekClekBoom. The b-side Get Busy is the plate that really shines though, a proper bumpin' and flexin' number with a fantastic bubbling bassline that jumps in half way through to really crank it up a notch. Lovely stuff. I think I've said it before but ClekClekBoom must be one of my fav labels of the year. They loving get it man, no boring plodding poo poo here.

Oh and if anyone has had a sucky day, I'd suggest going through all the old Big Narstie videos, really changed my day about. e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdhG5x0THwY

28 Gun Bad Boy fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 28, 2013

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Oh and if anyone has had a sucky day, I'd suggest going through all the old Big Narstie videos, really changed my day about. e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdhG5x0THwY

Haha narstie is a funny fucker, i think he did some reviews for noisey about his one true love, eastenders. Proper funny read as well.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I still haven't gotten an id on that new Narstie track (or maybe it was just a vocal over some random riddim) that Spyro played a couple weeks ago.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Make sure you get cash upfront bruv!

Anyway you guys you may know Chemical is in admin right now, so a lot of poo poo is on sale at crazy prices like 50p or 99p. Naturally I'm telling you this after I loaded up with poo poo. Everyman for himself! No idea what'll happen to the likes of Black Box/Box Clever though, since I'm sure they were owned and funded by Chem, though it does explain the problems with the latest Author album.

Thanks for the reminder, ended up snagging a few things from my want list, and then a dBridge remix on Digital Soundboy that I never knew got a vinyl release.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

I still haven't gotten an id on that new Narstie track (or maybe it was just a vocal over some random riddim) that Spyro played a couple weeks ago.

The vocal actually reminded me of whatever he and Chronik was recording in this video, but I don't know if it is (blurry weeks old memory here).

SUBFRIES posted:

Thanks for the reminder, ended up snagging a few things from my want list, and then a dBridge remix on Digital Soundboy that I never knew got a vinyl release.

Yeah man there's tons of good stuff there. I mostly picked up some older things too. Some old Wah Wah 45s (the orig of this), the Isoul8 single on Restless Trax and the vinyl of IG Culture's Soulful Shanghai album + a bunch more. Way too cheap and postage was like a fiver all in here. Total steal.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Got an old Grime/Dubstep track ID question- it's from the beginning of that Kode9/Wiley mix that was on Fact a while back, like 6 minutes in, mixes out of 9 Samurai into it. There's some FM percussiony sounds in the beginning and a vocal sample that goes "Forever" and then the main sequence has these violin samples, starts out with long pad type sounds then into arpeggios, with machine gun sounding hats and actual machine gun samples. I'll put up a clip on youtube if anyone thinks that would help.

Thanks in advance!

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

JamesKPolk posted:

Got an old Grime/Dubstep track ID question- it's from the beginning of that Kode9/Wiley mix that was on Fact a while back, like 6 minutes in, mixes out of 9 Samurai into it. There's some FM percussiony sounds in the beginning and a vocal sample that goes "Forever" and then the main sequence has these violin samples, starts out with long pad type sounds then into arpeggios, with machine gun sounding hats and actual machine gun samples. I'll put up a clip on youtube if anyone thinks that would help.

Thanks in advance!

Calenda's Forever? Also on his Dubstep Allstars CD from a billion years ago.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Calenda's Forever? Also on his Dubstep Allstars CD from a billion years ago.

YES that's the one! Thank you! Sounds soooo much better without the bass clipping.

aversion
Mar 4, 2004

fighting visual crime
http://www.self-titledmag.com/2013/09/01/joker-shares-free-ep-of-sega-genesis-beats/

Joker's reaching out to the coveted goon demographic. In all honest it's not as bad as it might be.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Joker has always used these sounds in his stuff. Not really pandering or anything.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Does anyone have a good site that can replace the Bass Music Releases tumblr that stopped updating in January? It was really useful. For reference: http://bassreleases.tumblr.com/

Also, Slimzee is looking loving terrible:

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
^^^ I was crying with laughter at that photo earlier. Not necessarily at poor Slimzee, but just everything about it...the expression, the posture, the fact that he's next to Plastician who's a small dude. It's just a great photo.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Dunno if it's come up already but djrum's 'Seven Lies' album is loving outrageous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLxbHOmxCDA

Also, his mixes are the absolute poo poo- minimal dub into Max Richter.

https://soundcloud.com/djrum/djrum-clashmagazine-mix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Just checked out silkie's The Lost Tapes Vol. 1 EP. Time Delay is awesome as gently caress.

• Locked thread