Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I'm out of town so I haven't had a chance to listen to either song through proper monitors yet, but my first impression using lovely earbuds is that I like the Katy Perry song better. The production on Applause sounds incredibly generic and I'm not really a fan of Gaga's voice. The synths don't really don't mesh well with the Madeon-esque drums that DJ White Shadow employed (I couldn't find any credits to Madeon so I assume he wasn't involved with this song). Roar isn't super amazing or anything but I'm a big fan of Katy's voice and it's catchy enough. Also the lyric video is really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

-Inu- posted:

I'm out of town so I haven't had a chance to listen to either song through proper monitors yet, but my first impression using lovely earbuds is that I like the Katy Perry song better. The production on Applause sounds incredibly generic and I'm not really a fan of Gaga's voice. The synths don't really don't mesh well with the Madeon-esque drums that DJ White Shadow employed (I couldn't find any credits to Madeon so I assume he wasn't involved with this song). Roar isn't super amazing or anything but I'm a big fan of Katy's voice and it's catchy enough. Also the lyric video is really cool.

The Katy Perry song is alright but it's pretty much the textbook definition of generic. Lady Gaga at least attempts to be musically interesting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the Lady Gaga song is a bit better (though it's still not as good as the best she's done) but the Katy Perry one will probably crush it on the charts.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Looks like Roar will have the slight edge on the charts. It will be quite close to begin with.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Metal Loaf posted:

I think the Lady Gaga song is a bit better (though it's still not as good as the best she's done) but the Katy Perry one will probably crush it on the charts.

Wandle Cax posted:

Looks like Roar will have the slight edge on the charts. It will be quite close to begin with.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

http://kworb.net/ww/

Check that for worldwide total iTunes charts.

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013

Wandle Cax posted:

http://kworb.net/ww/

Check that for worldwide total iTunes charts.

Thank you for this, I've never heard of this site before.

I love that Get Lucky is still trucking along; it's probably my favourite song so far this year.

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
Avicii released another single from True.

It's not quite Wake Me Up, but still catchy and follows some of the same footsteps. True is shaping up to be real good.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
I know it's been a while since the last post, but I want this thread to keep going.

Couple of Billboard news things: "Royals" by Lorde is now in the top 10! Aw yeah, Kiwi time.

After an 11-month stretch at the top of the charts, "Blurred Lines" has been unseated by "Roar" by Katy Perry. What do you guys think of the new Katy Perry song?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah I can't believe that Lorde is in the US top 10, that's really amazing. I honestly don't know the last time a New Zealander made the top 10 as a solo artist. Also it's no surprise I guess but Roar really is a boring and mediocre song to be such a big hit.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
Doesn't the new Britney Spears single come out on the 17th? It's a long shot but I hope it's awesome and knocks Roar from the top spot.

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

ZakAce posted:

I know it's been a while since the last post, but I want this thread to keep going.

Couple of Billboard news things: "Royals" by Lorde is now in the top 10! Aw yeah, Kiwi time.

After an 11-month stretch at the top of the charts, "Blurred Lines" has been unseated by "Roar" by Katy Perry. What do you guys think of the new Katy Perry song?

Roar is pretty lacklustre. It wasn't risky at all and it actually made me realize that most of Katy Perry's songs bore me, but I find her intriguing so I follow her goings on anyway. California Girls, TGIF, Teenage Dream, all of them didn't really blow me away. The only released Katy single that I've been like "yeah, this poo poo is awesome!" has been E.T. I do like the video for Roar though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CevxZvSJLk8

nyquil hangover posted:

Doesn't the new Britney Spears single come out on the 17th? It's a long shot but I hope it's awesome and knocks Roar from the top spot.

It's being released on the 16th and I hope the same though I'm not holding out for it. I hope she pulls out an album similar to Circus because Circus was the tits.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

Also it's no surprise I guess but Roar really is a boring and mediocre song to be such a big hit.

I listen to a lot of Top 40 radio in my car and appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into writing a catchy hit song, but I really dislike most pop artists and songs.

That said, I'd like to see Bonnie McKee ascend to Katy Perry levels of stardom. She's very easy on the eyes, and she has written or co-written most of Katy's recent hits, as well as huge songs for Britney, Kesha, Taio Cruz, and other pop stars.

Her big solo single this summer, "American Girl," was pretty generic, embarrassing teenage girl music, but this video of her playing piano and singing a medley of the songs she's written for other artists proves she has talent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIpANtDtbes

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 7, 2013

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

Also it's no surprise I guess but Roar really is a boring and mediocre song to be such a big hit.

I'm surprised that such a boring and mediocre song reached #1. But then it's just Katy Perry, I guess.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable

squeee posted:

It's being released on the 16th and I hope the same though I'm not holding out for it. I hope she pulls out an album similar to Circus because Circus was the tits.

I actually liked Circus better than Femme Fatale. If she had released Shattered Glass or Kill The Lights as a single, I think they would've been massive hits.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Hmm. Miley Cyrus's new single is surprisingly good. I actually liked "We Can't Stop", but I admit it's a bit inane and doesn't really show off her singing ability. "Wrecking Ball" seems to balance that out, so that makes me look forward to hearing more from her.

The verses remind me of Lana Del Rey, who I don't really like. But the song made me realize that I do like her style, it's the voice that irks me. Miley's vocals, on the other hand, are just great, and I can't wait to see a live version.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
Bruno Mars is doing the Superbowl halftime show!!

I think he's a great choice, I saw him and Janelle Monae a few years ago and it was probably the best concert I've ever been to. He puts on a great live show.

(I still think it would've been hilarious if Miley did the halftime show)

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

nyquil hangover posted:

I actually liked Circus better than Femme Fatale. If she had released Shattered Glass or Kill The Lights as a single, I think they would've been massive hits.

Yea, Femme Fatale didn't really do it for me. I'm still really not holding out for much because her new single is called Werk Bitch, here's hopin'!

gandlethorpe posted:

Hmm. Miley Cyrus's new single is surprisingly good. I actually liked "We Can't Stop", but I admit it's a bit inane and doesn't really show off her singing ability. "Wrecking Ball" seems to balance that out, so that makes me look forward to hearing more from her.

The verses remind me of Lana Del Rey, who I don't really like. But the song made me realize that I do like her style, it's the voice that irks me. Miley's vocals, on the other hand, are just great, and I can't wait to see a live version.

I am happy that Wrecking Ball is a ballady song. It's a nice contrast from We Can't Stop. I could really do without the gross sledgehammer licking in the video, but it was directed my Terry Richardson and he's generally a disgusting old perv. :barf:

edit* I don't like Bruno Mars as the Superbowl half time show. I mean, good on him for nailing one of the biggest gigs of the year, but I really am not sure he's really going to top anything they've had in the past 10 years or so. I'm interested in seeing who they schedule with him for the show. I do think he's a great performer; I just don't think he's nearly iconic for the halftime show on his own.

squeee fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 9, 2013

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Turns out V V Brown's new album is incredible. This article persuaded me to buy it and I'm so glad I did.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

squeee posted:

I am happy that Wrecking Ball is a ballady song. It's a nice contrast from We Can't Stop. I could really do without the gross sledgehammer licking in the video, but it was directed my Terry Richardson and he's generally a disgusting old perv. :barf:

Yikes. Saw that video last night. Gonna pretend it doesn't exist so I can keep enjoying the song. Although it did spawn some hilarious stuff in the GBS thread.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Miley Cyrus comes off as a bit of a try-hard.

At the same time, you've got Demi Lovato, who's a much better singer but isn't as successful.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
holy crap this Ariana Grande CD is really good

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

Metal Loaf posted:

I think Miley Cyrus comes off as a bit of a try-hard.

At the same time, you've got Demi Lovato, who's a much better singer but isn't as successful.

Yep, Demi's infinitely more talented vocally, but unfortunately doesn't have the joy of having an already-famous Dad which clearly shoe-inned Miley to the top. I hope she thanks her Dad everyday for Achy Breaky Heart.

Britney's camp has announced the premier of Work Bitch, Monday, Sept 16th at 6pm EST on iHeartRadio or your local station.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

squeee posted:

Yep, Demi's infinitely more talented vocally, but unfortunately doesn't have the joy of having an already-famous Dad which clearly shoe-inned Miley to the top. I hope she thanks her Dad everyday for Achy Breaky Heart.

It's kind of like how Carrie Underwood is an inestimably superior singer to Taylor Swift but never seems to get the same sort of attention. Now, obviously that's partly because she's positioned herself pretty firmly in the country genre but listening to some of the stuff off Blown Away it's weird that it wasn't able to cross over more significantly; if a song like "Good Girl" (which is dead fun to listen to) had been released around 2000 or so it could've been as big as any song Shania Twain ever did.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

squeee posted:

I like the song, but the video was a little over the top. Then I saw the ending "directed by Terry Richardson". Then I thought, oh that explains the sledgehammer licking and general nakedness.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've been listening to Top 40 radio a little bit recently, and I'm kinda impressed at the number of songs that I hear regularly that I really like. I mean, I'd been waiting for 20/20 Experience and Random Access Memories, so I know the Timberlake/Daft Punk songs already, but stuff like Clarity, or that new Jason DeRulo (for whatever reason, I've always liked his songs) have a really nice almost trance-y sound to them. That kind of beat getting bigger and more popular is exciting for me.

edit: That said, Roar blows and I hate it and hate listening to it.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Yoshifan823 posted:

I've been listening to Top 40 radio a little bit recently, and I'm kinda impressed at the number of songs that I hear regularly that I really like. I mean, I'd been waiting for 20/20 Experience and Random Access Memories, so I know the Timberlake/Daft Punk songs already, but stuff like Clarity, or that new Jason DeRulo (for whatever reason, I've always liked his songs) have a really nice almost trance-y sound to them. That kind of beat getting bigger and more popular is exciting for me.

I noticed something similar. Back in high school (about 10 ish years) ago I was going through a punk phase and hated all the nu metal or whatever poo poo that was top 40 at the time but now that EDM is popular and influencing top 40 I'd gladly blast some gaga, kesha, miley, or david guetta on the way to work.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

I actually like Katy Perry, but yeah this song is awful. Also I agree with the general sentiment that there seems to be a lot of pop around at the moment that I really enjoy.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nomapple posted:

I actually like Katy Perry, but yeah this song is awful. Also I agree with the general sentiment that there seems to be a lot of pop around at the moment that I really enjoy.

I actually really like a lot of Katy Perry's music. Both One of the Boys and Teenage Dream have songs that I really enjoy on them, but something about Roar just really puts me off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yoshifan823 posted:

I actually really like a lot of Katy Perry's music. Both One of the Boys and Teenage Dream have songs that I really enjoy on them, but something about Roar just really puts me off.

It seems to be aiming for the whole "You look Adele? Well, look how authentic I am!" angle. Maybe that's not entirely fair, but it's the impression I get.

I wouldn't call myself a Katy Perry fan so much as I like some of her songs (I heard this, which is far below the standard of performance you'd expect from most professional musicians, and since I heard it I've never quite been able to give her a fair shake otherwise; it's not particularly fair, I know, but Queen is my favourite band so I admit I'm a little biased).

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New Lorde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g03b4U_aPk

quote:

“I have this song on the record, and it has two lines on it which were very important for me to put on there. One of them was: We live in cities you’ll never see onscreen. Because I like in Auckland, which is definitely not New York. It just felt important for me to be speaking for the minority. Coming from a small city, somewhere that feels unimportant, you just wanna get out of there. You’re whole teenage life The other line is: I’m kind of over getting told to throw my hands up in the air. Because, there’s been so much of that in pop music, and I’m like, this is the stupidest thing. Being told to put your hands in the air? That’s the last thing I wanna do right now. I just wanted to be a bit more realistic. I don’t if that’s relating to young people in general, or just people who listen to pop.”

I am so excited for her album

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFasFq4GJYM

Heard this for the first time on my local alternative station on my way to work. Listened to it over and over at work. Heard it again on the same station at lunch, and I'm sure I'll hear it again driving home. With the way indie/alternative acts have been blowing up lately, I wouldn't be surprised if this song gets huge in the US.

Girl is talented, only 16, and already hit #1 in her native New Zealand.

I like and appreciate the lyrics, all except for the second part of the refrain. It has this anti-materialistic feel in most of the song, then winkingly goes against the lyrics. She pokes fun at the glitz and glamour associated with being famous and thumbs her nose at it. Then we get to, "Let me be your ruler..." and it ruins the song a little for me. Not to the point that it's bad - in fact it's a great song - but I get the same feeling of it that I have for Fun's We Are Young. Interesting bits hidden among some banalities.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

I like and appreciate the lyrics, all except for the second part of the refrain. It has this anti-materialistic feel in most of the song, then winkingly goes against the lyrics. She pokes fun at the glitz and glamour associated with being famous and thumbs her nose at it. Then we get to, "Let me be your ruler..." and it ruins the song a little for me. Not to the point that it's bad - in fact it's a great song - but I get the same feeling of it that I have for Fun's We Are Young. Interesting bits hidden among some banalities.
Yeah, that part is weird and jarring lyrically. It's a crazy catchy song but I still kind of hate the pseudo-anti-glitz/glamour thing. I think it would rub me the wrong way a lot less if "gold teeth" weren't the first thing she mentioned. It doesn't really fit as well with the rest of the things she lists, and you're sort of left to wonder why it's even there in the first place. Surely she could have come up with some other extravagance.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

het posted:

I think it would rub me the wrong way a lot less if "gold teeth" weren't the first thing she mentioned. It doesn't really fit as well with the rest of the things she lists, and you're sort of left to wonder why it's even there in the first place. Surely she could have come up with some other extravagance.

Gold teeth is referring to hip-hop grills and makes perfect sense?

The song is a playful expression of ambivalence towards celebrity. If it were merely polemic it wouldn't be nearly as good.

Let me live that fantasy

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 15, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Lorde is fantastic and I'm way too into her music.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Gold teeth is referring to hip-hop grills and makes perfect sense?
If the primary target of derision is rappers rather than celebrities in general, it makes the song kinda distasteful to me. And to make it worse, everything else is an actual trapping of wealth, grills are more a trapping of aspiration to wealth, so it seems more like punching downwards than punching upwards. Like every other thing there isn't necessarily coded, as Maybachs, private jets, Cristal, etc. can be attributed to any wealthy person but that one's pretty explicit.

That addition really turns it from a generic middle class kid's cry for relevance to the sort of complaint about pop music I'd expect from a vaguely racist middle class dad.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The song is a playful expression of ambivalence towards celebrity. If it were merely polemic it wouldn't be nearly as good.
It seems less like ambivalence towards celebrity than just a poorly-conceived lyric. I mean, I read it more as the blue collar person reclaiming notoriety on a local scale, but even with that interpretation it seems to undermine the rest of the song.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
In her defence, the people who made headlines lately wearing grills (Madonna, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus) are wealthy white girls, so to me that kinda softens the vaguely racist undertones you might detect.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

het posted:

If the primary target of derision is rappers rather than celebrities in general, it makes the song kinda distasteful to me. And to make it worse, everything else is an actual trapping of wealth, grills are more a trapping of aspiration to wealth, so it seems more like punching downwards than punching upwards. Like every other thing there isn't necessarily coded, as Maybachs, private jets, Cristal, etc. can be attributed to any wealthy person but that one's pretty explicit.

That addition really turns it from a generic middle class kid's cry for relevance to the sort of complaint about pop music I'd expect from a vaguely racist middle class dad.

It seems less like ambivalence towards celebrity than just a poorly-conceived lyric. I mean, I read it more as the blue collar person reclaiming notoriety on a local scale, but even with that interpretation it seems to undermine the rest of the song.

She's a huge rap/Kanye West fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6IerJU-gPE

Bravado is directly inspired by him as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J6EJ1tV4TI

I'm not a critic so I don't think writing out my musings on Royals would be especially interesting but I do think there is a good amount of depth and nuance there if you approach it more graciously and it certainly isn't just making fun of rappers or celebrities or materialism.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I'm sure you must have all heard Work Bitch by now the new Britney song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g58N_wKk3Bg&t=234s

I find it very amusing and I enjoy it. I think it's a good song but I can't really tell. I just love they way she rhymes fancy with mansion, and then France for some reason. Brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
I just cannot get into Lorde's music. I've listened to Royals a bunch of times but it just hasn't clicked for me. I'm kind of shocked she is getting all this hype.

I can't listen to Work Bitch until I get home and the wait is killing me :(

edit: holy gently caress Work Bitch is great. definitely took a few listens to get into it, though.

nyquil hangover fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 15, 2013