Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pitnicker
Apr 6, 2004

Thanks to this thread I decided to check out Dredd, which I had avoided due to it being a remake of an awful, awful movie. Perhaps it was the absence of Rob Schneider but I really enjoyed it. If you've avoided the remake due to the (admittedly dumb) source material, you should check it out if you like 90's action flicks. It's good dumb fun.

Also, I finally got around to watching Touching the Void, the mountaineering documentary that's been recommended a billion times in this thread and various iterations of the Everest thread in GBS. As expected it was absolutely fantastic. If you have any interest in mountaineering or harrowing survival stories you should definitely check it out.

Finally, recently I watched The Secret of Kells, a wonderfully imaginative animated film about a monastery besieged by Vikings. If you enjoy animated films you should definitely check this one out, as the art style is unique and refreshing. For a kids' movie the story is pretty solid, even bordering on dark at times.

Tardcore posted:

What did you think of Videodrome?

Edit: Aww poo poo, Videodrome isn't streaming anymore.

It had something Antiviral didn't have, Tardcore, it had a philosophy. And that's what makes it dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

I don't agree with 'obscure' at all. It seemed like really straightforward body horror sci-fi with a slightly pretentious message about celebrity worship. It makes its point in the first 5 minutes of the film.

Anybody who gets grossed out by medical stuff (surgery shows or the like) should be warned though. My stomach definitely turned a few times.

Obscure was poor word choice, unfocused is more apt except I believe it was deliberate. I just felt the script could have been tightened up or maybe it was just boredom. Maybe it was trying too hard to be a David Cronenberg film. I don't know, I didn't feel strongly one way or the other about the movie.

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

Tardcore posted:

What did you think of Videodrome?

Edit: Aww poo poo, Videodrome isn't streaming anymore.

Edit2: Huh, this is weird. Search "Example Short VI 23976 Remote Content" It's some sort of stock footage.

To my understanding, the "example shorts" are a control group for Netflix to test things.

Edit: I liked Antiviral. It isn't perfect, and the writing is a bit weak, but Cronenberg's kid is solid for a new director. I'm interested in what he does next.

Kind Milkman has a new favorite as of 13:55 on Sep 8, 2013

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Pitnicker posted:

Thanks to this thread I decided to check out Dredd, which I had avoided due to it being a remake of an awful, awful movie. Perhaps it was the absence of Rob Schneider but I really enjoyed it. If you've avoided the remake due to the (admittedly dumb) source material, you should check it out if you like 90's action flicks. It's good dumb fun.

No, no, no. It's another adaptation of the same British comic. The source material is rad, it's just that the Stallone movie was a poor adaptation.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I Before E posted:

No, no, no. It's another adaptation of the same British comic. The source material is rad, it's just that the Stallone movie was a poor adaptation.

Yeah, it's like calling "The Last Temptation of Christ" a remake of "The 10 Commandments."

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Pitnicker posted:

The Secret of Kells

Thanks, I'll watch this now.

Another great animated movie is The Secret of NIMH, which I had put off watching because of the cover but holy crap:

is not at all like the movie. Watch it.

Battleground is freaking horrible, don't watch it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Pitnicker posted:

Darn right it is. It felt somewhere between Die Hard and Blade Runner. I wouldn't mind if dumb action flicks like this come back in style for a while. I'm often over-critical of movies; but if it starts with "your mission is to go gently caress poo poo up and kill drug dealers", I'm good to go.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Dredd is the only non body horror movie to make me actually cringe, but I still love it. The movie is just brutal

Prof. Numbers
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a genius! *ow*
Parker is up. It's better than the typical Jason Statham vehicle, even though it costars Jennifer Lopez.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

I Before E posted:

What this guy said, but with more vulgarity.

I'll recommend American Mary as a gory timewaster that's not at all good, but a million times better than most horror on Instant. Warning: lots of body horror.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Prof. Numbers posted:

Parker is up. It's better than the typical Jason Statham vehicle, even though it costars Jennifer Lopez.

Check this out if you wanna see Statham do a completely unconvincing Texan accent. Also, Lopez acts her heart out in this movie and it's great. She's the best part.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx

Prof. Numbers posted:

I heard it pisses on the books and character, which sucks, but I'll give it a watch.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Prof. Numbers posted:

Better yet, let me just echo the Road chat and say go and read the books. If you like noir and action writing you will go insane with how awesome they are.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kraps posted:

Another great animated movie is The Secret of NIMH, which I had put off watching because of the cover but holy crap:

Be aware that this movie could give small children nightmares. Not quite as bad as Dark Crystal, but if your kid wakes up screaming, you've been warned.

Great movie though.

Prof. Numbers posted:

Weird, Netflix was suggesting this one to me at like less than 3 stars, and I almost ALWAYS rate his movies 4-5.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

coyo7e posted:

Weird, Netflix was suggesting this one to me at like less than 3 stars, and I almost ALWAYS rate his movies 4-5.

Ditto. I could have sworn the Transporter movies were streaming at one point. I'd love to watch those three again.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Ragequit posted:

Ditto. I could have sworn the Transporter movies were streaming at one point. I'd love to watch those three again.
I still haven't recovered from the betrayal I felt when watching the first Transporter in theaters after seeing the trailer over and over again, only to discover they removed the scene of him deflecting a rocket with a dinner tray

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

Kraps posted:

I first saw this when I was like, five. I recall a surreal flashback scene involving animal testing and rats/mice being injected and plenty of death in the movie. They don't make em like that anymore :v:

I watched Antiviral because of this thread and that is a loving weird concept for a movie. I kept thinking that instead of focusing on this blonde model chick as the celebrity everyone loves, they should have gone with a boyband or something. I could definitely see a Bieber or 1 Direction fan being all over getting injected with their favorite members disease. :gonk:

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Whispering Machines posted:

I first saw this when I was like, five. I recall a surreal flashback scene involving animal testing and rats/mice being injected and plenty of death in the movie. They don't make em like that anymore :v:

Something that was amazing to me is "NIMH" itself, which sounded to me like the name of a place that should be a short griffon ride from Narnia. Yeah...

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kraps posted:

It's weird that, just like the real organization, "NIMH" stands for "National Institute of Mental Health". I guess "The Secret of the National Institute of Mental Health" doesn't have quite the same ring for a children's movie.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It was a sad day when movie companies realized more money could be made marketing poo poo to kids than messing with their minds and/or freaking the poo poo out of them :sigh:

Secret of NIMH, Dark Crystal, Watership Down, Watcher in the Woods, the original Bakshi Lord of the Rings, all of these things were disturbing as hell when I was a kid. Thankfully they'll all be around in one digital format or another to mess with my kids' heads!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
For a children's movie, "An American Tail" is dark as hell, too, and available on streaming (apparently it's not, I thought I had it but I just double-checked and I don't). It made me think that if I was ever separated from my parents, I'd have to contend with a grimy world where everything wanted to murder me.

Cream-of-Plenty has a new favorite as of 08:53 on Sep 10, 2013

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

coyo7e posted:

What did you rate Gigli?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched Event Horizon for the first time. Not a great movie, but worth watching for the scenes when poo poo starts going bananas. Basically, I feel like it's a movie that's been done better, and for the most part it was strangely boring, but I'll still give it a recommend based on crazy demonic Sam Neill and a lot of the gorier scenes are over the top in that Paul W.S. Anderson way that's usually entertaining.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Twitch posted:

I just watched Event Horizon for the first time. Not a great movie, but worth watching for the scenes when poo poo starts going bananas. Basically, I feel like it's a movie that's been done better, and for the most part it was strangely boring, but I'll still give it a recommend based on crazy demonic Sam Neill and a lot of the gorier scenes are over the top in that Paul W.S. Anderson way that's usually entertaining.

As someone who first saw the movie as a young teenager maybe my judgement is clouded but what movie do you think does what Event Horizon does, but better?

I only ask so I can seek out and watch.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
The Thing is a movie you should watch if you like Event Horizon. Same concept where it is set in a very isolated place and the protagonists don't understand what is happening, but John Carpenter is a better horror director.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Sunshine is also pretty good, not sure of it's on Netflix, though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Twitch posted:

I was never really impressed by it when I saw it as a teen in theaters. I seem to recall thinking that yeah, it's just the same thing as every other "group of people versus creepy obscure menace" movie where poo poo hits the fan. It had some nice touches but they all felt like they were taken from other stuff I'd already seen - and I thought that as a kid before I'd even seen that much. :(

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Crow Jane posted:

Sunshine is also pretty good, not sure of it's on Netflix, though.

It's not on Netflix, US version anyway. And for the first 80% of the movie Sunshine is fantastic, it's just amazing, then it all goes downhill at the end which is too bad.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I hate to go slapstick on your asses but The Dictator is so funny, I actually inhaled my vodka and iced tea during one scene and I had to blow vodka iced tea out of my nose.

Also seconding Dredd, and Sunshine, even though it's not on Netflix.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Wicked Attraction probably isn't a good show but the crimes are interesting. The reenactments take up more time with the actors getting more lines, and it's so bad. Love it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Finished the first half of Breaking Bad season 5 last night. Those fuckers give us a little tease and then leave us wanting more. Just a little more is all I need to get by. C'mon - you got any episodes Netflix? Fuckers come on. Just throw a little my way man. Don't loving leave me like this. How am I supposed to get through the day?

me your dad has a new favorite as of 16:11 on Sep 12, 2013

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

me your dad posted:

Finished the first half of Breaking Bad season 5 last night. Those fuckers give us a little tease and then leave us wanting more. Just a little more is all I need to get by. C'mon - you got any episodes Netflix? Fuckers come on. Just throw a little my way man. Don't loving leave me like this. How am I supposed to get through the day?

Shell out $20 and buy the final episodes on Amazon or Google Play maybe?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

me your dad posted:

If you get AMC, they rerun them all the time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Coffee And Pie posted:

If you get AMC, they rerun them all the time.

They're also provided with OnDemand if you have Cablevision, not sure about other carriers.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

me your dad posted:

I go to a bar in Durham, NC that screens each episode up on their projector. I'm pretty sure most cities would have a bar or venue doing the same somewhere.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Okonner posted:

I go to a bar in Durham, NC that screens each episode up on their projector. I'm pretty sure most cities would have a bar or venue doing the same somewhere.

I do this, it's awesome. People absolutely lose their minds when big twists happen.

Anybody have recommendations for a TV show available on Netflix that's just... sexy, pretty trash? For example, True Blood before it got super weird, or Spartacus Blood and Sand?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I'd never call it trash, but if you haven't seen Mad Men, watch that. It's definitely a very, very sexy and pretty show.

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them
I could only take 20 minutes of Death of a Ghost Hunter. Is there any reason to endure the rest of it?

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
The final season of Fringe is up. I just got through the first 4 seasons a few weeks ago, which were pretty good. unfortunately after only watching one episode, the story for season 5 seems like it is going to be pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Any respectable fan of found-footage horror movies should watch the first seventy minutes or so of Apollo 18, shut the screen off, and imagine their own personal ending. It takes such a massive nosedive when it starts having no qualms about showing the 'scary' things in full, as opposed to blurry and poorly lit, and the ending of the movie makes it completely impossible for the footage in question to have been found.

I watched this the other day and felt pretty :geno: about it. There were a couple of decent moments, but eh. The ending was really bad. I have to say that my biggest annoyance was the noises the moon-rock-alien-spiders made. It really destroyed the "found footage" aspect for me.

It's been on Netflix for a while, and it didn't get good reviews, but I like Fourth Kind :shobon: Aliens in general scare me and it's way better when they don't actually show the monsters in a movie.

• Locked thread