Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Brain Issues posted:

I really like the snap on instinct screwdrivers. The Wera handles may have been ever so slightly more comfortable for me but the tips and shaft strength is much greater on the SnapOns. I still keep the Weras around, they worked fine and I would still be using them if I didn't get the SnapOn drivers for literally half price. The snapon drivers are nice but not worth it at full price in my opinion.

Interesting you say that, after getting and using my PB Swiss and Wihas i find the Snap-ons to be far inferior. The tips of the Snap-on Torx screwdrivers are nothing compared to Wihas, which are a fraction of the price. In general i find Snap-on's shanks/tips to be of a lesser quality than the Euro brands. Most of the time now i use my Wiha and PB Swiss screwdrivers, or my South African-made Weras, which are really nice.

Wiha Torx fit:

I don't neccessarily think that Snap-on screwdrivers are bad, i just don't think they're the best. And for what they cost, they really should be a lot better. The Wihas are a fraction of the price, but much better quality overall, you don't get the (sometimes overrated) Snap-on warranty, but you don't need it. PB Swiss have a lifetime guarantee and are still far superior to Snap-on and significantly cheaper.

Brain Issues posted:

I don't really need more ratchets!

What? :colbert:

Brain Issues posted:

My favorite tools in the top drawer are the 12v DeWalts though, I use them on almost every single car that I work on, and unless its at a weird angle I don't even have to use a ratchet. They're pretty drat strong like you say and the battery life is incredible.

Ah, your 12vs should have a bit more kick than my 10.8v. When i bought it i was stripping cars and needed something small to speed it up, bought the cheapest DeWalt 3.8" impact.

I miss having an air compressor and using my impacts and air ratchets. Ingersoll-Rand make a really nice compact composite 3/8" air ratchet, fairly powerful for its size and really useful.

A trim tool i would highly recommend for you is the VW T10236.

I think they're among the best trim tools out there, i use mine a lot. I have quite a number of trim tools now in various sizes, lengths, configurations, etc and this is still the most used. I have a number of Bojo plastic trim tools too, but my most-used plastic one is a genuine Volvo one. Cost about $8, well worth it.

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

So my grandfather went into an old folks home and I managed to inherit some sweet old stahlwille tools. The thing i was wondering was if torque wrenches go "off" as these would be from the mid-late 50s or 60s. If they do go out of spec, how much it would cost to get them reset.
Just have them calibrated. Not sure on cost, but give your local real tool shop (not generic hardware store) a call and ask them about it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
In regards to the impact gun chit chat....

Would it be worth while on picking one up when I hit the yards in my area? I have been making some extra side cash stripping parts off rarer and in-demand parts off cars and selling them on eBay (and making some good profit to boot - usually doubling my money), it would be nice to have something to zip bolts off quick.

I currently have Bosch 18V lithium Drill, circular saw and the portable radio, so I kinda want to stick with that.

Thoughts?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

In regards to the impact gun chit chat....

Would it be worth while on picking one up when I hit the yards in my area? I have been making some extra side cash stripping parts off rarer and in-demand parts off cars and selling them on eBay (and making some good profit to boot - usually doubling my money), it would be nice to have something to zip bolts off quick.

I currently have Bosch 18V lithium Drill, circular saw and the portable radio, so I kinda want to stick with that.

Thoughts?

Definitely worth it, they're extremely useful to have and once you have one you find more and more uses for it.

A Bosch 18V would definitely have some kick to it too, my little DeWalt takes off lots of M10 bolts, so an 18v should handle most stuff with ease.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Mooseykins posted:

Interesting you say that, after getting and using my PB Swiss and Wihas i find the Snap-ons to be far inferior. The tips of the Snap-on Torx screwdrivers are nothing compared to Wihas, which are a fraction of the price. In general i find Snap-on's shanks/tips to be of a lesser quality than the Euro brands. Most of the time now i use my Wiha and PB Swiss screwdrivers, or my South African-mad Weras, which are really nice.

Wiha Torx fit:

I don't neccessarily think that Sna-on screwdrivers are bad, i just don't think they're the best. And for what they cost, they really should be a lot better. The Wihas are a fraction of the price, but much better quality overall, you don't get the (overrated) Snap-on warranty, but you don't need it. PB Swiss have a lifetime guarantee and are still far superior to Snap-on and significantly cheaper.

What? :colbert:

Ah, your 12vs should have a bit more kick than my 10.8v. When i bought it i was stripping cars and needed something small to speed it up, bought the cheapest DeWalt 3.8" impact.

I miss having an air compressor and using my impacts and air ratchets. Ingersoll-Rand make a really nice compact composite 3/8" air ratchet, fairly powerful for its size and really useful.

A trim tool i would highly recommend for you is the VW T10236.

I think they're among the best trim tools out there, i use mine a lot. I have quite a number of trim tools now in various sizes, lengths, configurations, etc and this is still the most used. I have a number of Bojo plastic trim tools too, but my most-used plastic one is a genuine Volvo one. Cost about $8, well worth it.

My Torx Drivers are Wera and I like them a lot, it's the Wera screwdrivers that I wasn't very impressed with the shaft/tip strength. Maybe the Wera screwdrivers that we get in the USA aren't as good as what you have? Mine were made in the Czech Republic. Like I said though, I got the Snap-On screwdriver sets for half price, and I'm more than happy with them, but I wouldn't have paid full price for them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

rscott posted:

Yeah work gave everyone who wore glasses a set of prescription safety glasses from zenni optical. Of course OSHA doesn't require people to wear safety glasses if they wear corrective glasses out on the shop floor so most people don't wear them but they are nice if I'm helping a machinist with set up or showing how to deburr a part properly or something

Having been to the ER for metal fragments in my eye while wearing corrective glasses... wear safety glasses. Or a face shield. I've gotten metal fragments in my eye while wearing a face shield, too, though.

Powershift posted:

$20 sockets. From canadian tire on the left and princess auto on the right. What the poo poo.

Canadians will feel me on this one.

Also, my torque is multipying! :supaburn:

I want one of those torque multipliers. But for now I have...

... 3/4" Harbor Freight breaker bar. I break Husky 1/2" breaker bars with one arm and no cheater pipe these days because the new ones suck, and this thing has withstood everything I can throw at it with...

:unsmigghh: 4 feet of steel pipe to go over its handle.

And when that fails (it hasn't yet, but...)

I broke the goddamn handle off my 4 pound BFH (severely injuring a finger in the process), and it was getting to be a little on the small side anyways. Couldn't find any larger hand sledges. So I bought an 8 pounder full size sledge and cut the handle down. I wasn't sure it was a good idea, but the first use convinced me, when I popped a tie rod taper on a 21 year old 1 ton Dodge pickup free from its rusty cast steel steering knuckle prison with a single halfhearted swing.

e: I am also upgrading to 3/4" drive sockets for anything I've broken a 1/2" breaker bar or 3/4" to 1/2" drive adapter on. 1 5/16" was the first to go (dana 60 pinion nut) and 36mm (dana 30 axle nut, I got a 1 7/16" because it was within 1/2mm and I couldn't find a cheap 36mm 3/4 drive socket) was next.

BrokenKnucklez, get yourself a cordless angle grinder. poo poo is the bees knees for pulling anything involving a hardened, rusted bolt at the junkyard.

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 6, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

e: I am also upgrading to 3/4" drive sockets for anything I've broken a 1/2" breaker bar or 3/4" to 1/2" drive adapter on. 1 5/16" was the first to go (dana 60 pinion nut) and 36mm (dana 30 axle nut, I got a 1 7/16" because it was within 1/2mm and I couldn't find a cheap 36mm 3/4 drive socket) was next.

Good call. I was so stoked to find a box of high quality 3/4" drive stuff at a garage sale when it's a super premium item here which is usually way out of my reach. I still need to invest in a few sockets in my most used sizes.

With screwdrivers although they aren't the best ones ever I have a couple of blue handled Chinese things that I covet like nothing else. They are a flat and a Philips I bought years apart after searching in vain for more of them. They are easily available now on the internet of course.
Why do I like these things? Because I swear they are made out of adamantium, their tips are perfect for most things and I love the hex bit on the end of the handle. I know that's nothing unique but these cheapies have served me well for many years when I have twisted the tips off other Cr-V drivers.

One day I'd like to get a set of proper big boy screwdrivers but these ones and the couple of other good ones along with the few remaining survivors that I haven't broken the tips off / twisted the shaft inside the handle have served me well.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Brain Issues posted:

My Torx Drivers are Wera and I like them a lot, it's the Wera screwdrivers that I wasn't very impressed with the shaft/tip strength. Maybe the Wera screwdrivers that we get in the USA aren't as good as what you have? Mine were made in the Czech Republic. Like I said though, I got the Snap-On screwdriver sets for half price, and I'm more than happy with them, but I wouldn't have paid full price for them.

I think all Weras come out of the same factory, i think we get the Czech ones too. I think my only Weras are my South African-made ones, which are excellent in every way. They also have cool clear amber acetate handles, which i love. The tips and shafts are very good on them, no complaints.

My most-used Snap-on screwdrivers are flat blades that aren't ever used for screws, but make excellent mini prybars, and they've held up extremely well.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Yesterday I found a horrible failing in my tools. I have no torx drivers. I have no idea what kind of setup is best for torx. Someone please say? I discovered that Ford door latches are torx, and as I found out so are Explorer transfer case screws. Should I get bits, or the sort of bit that's clamped in to a socket by a retaining screw like my coveted 8mm double square, or screwdriver type ones?

I only need a couple of sizes.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

General_Failure posted:

Yesterday I found a horrible failing in my tools. I have no torx drivers. I have no idea what kind of setup is best for torx. Someone please say? I discovered that Ford door latches are torx, and as I found out so are Explorer transfer case screws. Should I get bits, or the sort of bit that's clamped in to a socket by a retaining screw like my coveted 8mm double square, or screwdriver type ones?

I only need a couple of sizes.

I have a lot of different torx tools because I'm dumb. If I had known from the start I could have covered 99% of situations with this set.
http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-80...rench+long+torx

Don't get only the screwdrivers if you will need to loosen anything with much torque at all.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 7, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Brain Issues posted:

I have a lot of different torx tools because I'm dumb. If I had known from the start I could have covered 99% of situations with this set.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001M0O18Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1378510021&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Don't get only the screwdrivers if you will need to loosen anything with much torque at all.

I can't really tell from the photo but are they a long shaft with a torx tip and a socket receiver thing at the other end? Yeah I need something that can handle torque. I imagine the door latch would be pretty drat tight.
My father in law was surprised I didn't have any, but I have literally never needed them ever.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

General_Failure posted:

I can't really tell from the photo but are they a long shaft with a torx tip and a socket receiver thing at the other end? Yeah I need something that can handle torque. I imagine the door latch would be pretty drat tight.
My father in law was surprised I didn't have any, but I have literally never needed them ever.

Yeah that's exactly what it is. They're assorted 3/8" drive sockets and 1/4" drive sockets with long torx bits. You use them like a normal socket with a ratchet.

edit: Just realized I posted the wrong link. These are what I meant to post. http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-80588-Piece-Long-T8-T50/dp/B001M0O18Y

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 7, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Brain Issues posted:

Yeah that's exactly what it is. They're assorted 3/8" drive sockets and 1/4" drive sockets with long torx bits. You use them like a normal socket with a ratchet.

edit: Just realized I posted the wrong link. These are what I meant to post. http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-80588-Piece-Long-T8-T50/dp/B001M0O18Y

I like that link better. Those things are so long! Is there a reason for that?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

General_Failure posted:

I like that link better. Those things are so long! Is there a reason for that?

It's often in my job to encounter torx fasteners that are recessed in their surroundings and you need a skinny long bit to get on the head.

You could always go with a set like this if you think that won't be an issue for you. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002NYC18/

I have both, AND stubby 1/4" sockets like these. http://www.amazon.com/Durston-Manufacturing-HCT1050-Half-Driver/dp/B000VUM6BU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Serviced the e46, had to buy a 36mm socket for the oil filter and realised pretty much every tool I've bought in the last few years is Laser, it's all the motor factors seem to stock. Also, time to buy that trolley jack :stare:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'd sooner trust a cheap hydraulic jack than I'd trust even the finest scissor jack.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

Serviced the e46, had to buy a 36mm socket for the oil filter and realised pretty much every tool I've bought in the last few years is Laser, it's all the motor factors seem to stock. Also, time to buy that trolley jack :stare:

That looks like every scissor jack ever. I think they are great! for pushing out collision damage, finessing a motor in the engine bay to align mounts etc. Hey I even welded three to a wheeled frame to make a VW drivetrain lift / trolley, but using them to jack up a car never ends well.

Speaking of dangerous jacks.

It's a widowmaker and it's stored longitudinally in the engine bay. I am never getting / storing a stock jack.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

Serviced the e46, had to buy a 36mm socket for the oil filter and realised pretty much every tool I've bought in the last few years is Laser, it's all the motor factors seem to stock.

Outside the spanners/sockets/screwdrivers and basics Laser tools are pretty good, i have a lot of their tools and used them daily in busy workshops, never let me down.

enkalen
May 26, 2013
I had to bleed my brakes last week and had a tough time on the rear drum brakes, mainly on getting the end of the wrench around the bleeder screw. I ended up picking up a couple offset box end wrenches from NAPA to make next time easier. I bought the Carlyle brand, they look pretty well built and seem to have decent reviews on the internet. Has anyone any experience with the Carlyle brands from NAPA?

enkalen
May 26, 2013

Cat Hatter posted:

I just started using these because Lowe's is selling them for $5 per 3 piece set so you can have both metric and SAE for under :10bux:.

Metric
SAE

I also just picked up a set of Tongue and Groove Pliers because they had a set of 3 for under $10.

I bought the socket organizers in the spring. It was a nice buy and my sockets are neater.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
Princess Auto sent me a coupon for filling out a survey, figured I better share it :D

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Well I didn't see anything posted from this calendar year, so here I go.

Looking to buy a set of impact sockets, and I'd really only like to do it once in my lifetime. What would you guys recommend? Assuming I'll buy 1/2" drive, and I'd like to buy just an SAE set for now, the vehicles I'm working on are very American.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got the metric version of this Ingersoll Rand impact set. I'm happy enough with it that I plan on getting the SAE and deep well versions at some point. $35, lifetime warranty, and comes from a brand that knows a little bit about air tools. I have no idea what strings are attached to that warranty though. The case that they come in is hilariously huge so plan on some other way of storing them unless you've got a lot of extra space.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Galler posted:

I've got the metric version of this Ingersoll Rand impact set. I'm happy enough with it that I plan on getting the SAE and deep well versions at some point. $35, lifetime warranty, and comes from a brand that knows a little bit about air tools. I have no idea what strings are attached to that warranty though. The case that they come in is hilariously huge so plan on some other way of storing them unless you've got a lot of extra space.

I own these as well, both the normal and deep well metric sets. Been using them for about 1.5 years now with no problems with any of them.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Trip report so far on the Milwaukee kit.

loving. Awesome. Ive used pretty much every thing out of it so far multiple times and its just awesome gear- Its amazing how often you will find a use for a cordless jigsaw! The only complaint I have is that when you have 9 different tools, you need more than 2 batteries- Im looking on amazon/ebay for a pair of 4.0AH's to compliment the 3.0AH, cos on a few occasions i've needed three tools and had to hot swap batteries. Plus the grinder kills a 3.0AH nice and quick, but its an 18v grinder doing 9000rpm, so that not a surprise really.

Bought the genuine Milwaukee shockwave driver bits for the impact driver (worth the $40) and the sawzall blade pack, plus some vermont american jigsaw blades. The only thing I think i will change is the stock supplied circular saw blade is a bit crap, so I might offload that onto cordless circ saw at work (which feels like someone tried to cut a brick in half with it) and get a really good irwin blade or something for it.

My very favorite air tool would be my Atlas Copco 3/8" ratchet- Basically one of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-Copco-Heavy-Duty-Air-Ratchet-Nut-Runner-205-in-lbs-/300955616079?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46125a434f

I paid $5 for it when Mitsubishi shut down their factory in Adelaide and I was on site doing environmental drilling as part of the shut down- wandered in on the shed they were flogging off old tools and gear to the workforce for peanuts in.

All those sockets and extensions were $20

And the air tools were $5 a pop!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

StormDrain posted:

Well I didn't see anything posted from this calendar year, so here I go.

Looking to buy a set of impact sockets, and I'd really only like to do it once in my lifetime. What would you guys recommend? Assuming I'll buy 1/2" drive, and I'd like to buy just an SAE set for now, the vehicles I'm working on are very American.

I have a set of Genuis sockets. Far from expensive and have been really good in pretty much daily use for 6 years. They actually show significantly less wear than my Snap-on sockets that are 2 years old.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have husky impact sockets from home depot and no complaints yet. I still need to get metric deep wells, but the 50 to 70 dollar per set pricetag has me holding off for another few months.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mooseykins posted:

I have a set of Genuis sockets. Far from expensive and have been really good in pretty much daily use for 6 years. They actually show significantly less wear than my Snap-on sockets that are 2 years old.

Do the Genius sockets have a flank drive design?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

StormDrain posted:

Do the Genius sockets have a flank drive design?

Yes, they do, i'll get some pics later when i go into the garage. They were pretty cheap but god drat are they good. I have a hugely expensive Snap-on 1/2" deep socket set that almost never gets used because i only really use the deep Genius impacts. When it comes to 1/2" stuff, there's not much point having chrome sockets, i can't remember the last time i used mine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My GMC is currently occupying all of my jackstands, and I figure another pair might be nice to have so I can still work on the drat Ranger. I had a Sears giftcard laying around from last Christmas, so I went there last night. Hardly a soul in the place, I'm descended upon immediately by an old fart who directs me to the floor jacks and stands. I grab a box and I'm at the register with it (no line, of course) in under five minutes.

It takes another fifteen to check out, because apparently he has to sit there and poke at his iPhone with a stylus and reading glasses, swipe my gift card through it and manually enter the eight digit pin (twice!), and in general do a lot of muttering and grumbling at the phone while ignoring me... before it will even let him actually ring it up on the loving cash register right loving there.

Sears has lost its loving mind and at this point you'd be hard pressed to get me to even spend a gift card in there. I was in and out of Harbor Freight in less than half the time and they actually had customers!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah those retarded tablet-phone-things annoyed the poo poo out of both me and the guy running it last time I went in there.

I can't wait till they decide they are a bad idea, like they should have oh, 3 minutes into testing them out for the first time.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
So I've been working on a project for the past few months (soon to be featured in Alternative Insanity!), and it's required a LOT of holes to be drilled in various thicknesses of steel, and plenty of cutting. I managed to procure a few things that have worked really well along the way, so I figured I would share.

First off, the Harbor Freight "doublecut" saw. I'll be damned if that thing doesn't actually WORK. It'll actually cut 1/4" steel plate - it's not incredibly precise, but it'll make the cut, and you can clean it up a bit afterward. And the cut is cold when it's done. Well worth the 45 bucks. I bought a spare set of blades when I picked it up, expecting them to fly apart the first time I used it, but so far, I haven't needed them. http://www.harborfreight.com/5-double-cut-saw-68316-8065.html

I also picked up an Oshlun 10" steel cutting blade for my old miter saw. Wow- this also really works. Not quite as fast as cutting wood, but a lot faster than what I was used to. They claim it will run at full miter saw speeds (rather than the usual slower steel cutting speed), but I've got mine slowed a bit with a router speed control. It's cut a lot of 2x2 box steel, plenty of random tubing and miscellaneous other steel. It's about worn out, but well worth it. I could have just bought a "proper" steel cutting saw, but I like that this cuts the material without sparks. Neato. http://www.oshlun.com/steel_and_ferrous_metal.html

Finally, my favorite tool(s) a full set of Blair rotabroach cutters. If you need to make holes in steel, you need these things. Anything from thin sheets to 1/4" stuff and more is easy with these. Chuck the arbor into a hand drill, use the included punch to mark the center of your hole, and you're off to the races. Incredible, really. The holes come out clean, and fast. They're also handy for cutting in plastic and other materials - I used them to cut perfect circular holes in a set of door panels, for instance. Get some. http://www.blairequipment.com/Rotabroach_Cutters/rota_cutters.html

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

That's interesting. They look like a holesaw got together with a hone and had babies. Not a bad idea but I see a greater potential for out of round holes.

Although they cost enough to hurt my holesaw solution is to buy Pferd holesaws and arbors as necessary. Those things could bore through Wolverine's skull without getting dull.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

General_Failure posted:

That's interesting. They look like a holesaw got together with a hone and had babies. Not a bad idea but I see a greater potential for out of round holes.

Although they cost enough to hurt my holesaw solution is to buy Pferd holesaws and arbors as necessary. Those things could bore through Wolverine's skull without getting dull.

They're broaches, so should make really good holes. I like that they're broaches that don't require a $500 magdrill to cut with. Although i'd love to have one of those!

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

General_Failure posted:

Yeah, I was worried about the quality of the holes, and they come out very well - better than the holesaws I've used (I have a pferd electricians set). I've got some very good drill bits, and even for a smaller 1/4 or 5/16 hole, the rotary broaches just cut right through so I use them instead. When you get up to 1/2 and more, wow, they really cut - and then the metal plug just pops right out. Handy for welding back in a hole you may or may not have put in the wrong place... Anyhow, if you have the opportunity to try some out, give 'em a shot.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mooseykins posted:

Yes, they do, i'll get some pics later when i go into the garage. They were pretty cheap but god drat are they good. I have a hugely expensive Snap-on 1/2" deep socket set that almost never gets used because i only really use the deep Genius impacts. When it comes to 1/2" stuff, there's not much point having chrome sockets, i can't remember the last time i used mine.

Photo status?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

jhcain posted:

Yeah, I was worried about the quality of the holes, and they come out very well - better than the holesaws I've used (I have a pferd electricians set). I've got some very good drill bits, and even for a smaller 1/4 or 5/16 hole, the rotary broaches just cut right through so I use them instead. When you get up to 1/2 and more, wow, they really cut - and then the metal plug just pops right out. Handy for welding back in a hole you may or may not have put in the wrong place... Anyhow, if you have the opportunity to try some out, give 'em a shot.

I'm suitably impressed. Those are some nice holes. My only use for holesaws is always through steel. Many times through uneven pressed steel or multi mm thick stuff so any advantage is welcome.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I was in a real pinch and had to buy harbor freight's line wrenches. Sure enough I tried to crack open a bleeder screw that I had open 2 weeks ago and snapped one of the prongs off.

Then I had to try and explain to my buddy that I don't care if the tool has a lifetime warranty. It broke the first time I tried to use it without getting the job I was trying to do done. Seriously gently caress harbor freight.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

StormDrain posted:

Photo status?

Shallow 27mm:

Deep 17mm, my most-used impact socket:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Mooseykins posted: