Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

My dad swears by Loctite 55.

Loctite 55 is good stuff, but I've found that the brushable "teflon tape" (PTFE paste) that you can pick up at most any hardware store works quite well (and is obviously much easier to get your hands on).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt posted:

My dad swears by Loctite 55. After using hemp and then later teflon for many years, he's just baffled that this works the first time every single time.

I know that's not actually an answer to your question, sorry.

Well, the underlying question really is "how do I fix this." I'll check the store for this and the stuff Motronic mentioned, thanks for the tips.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

stubblyhead posted:

Yeah, that's the way I'm doing it also. What's the correct amount to use?

I generally go 3 times around. In my experience, when teflon tape doesn't work then it's either the washer or a thread issue (either on the showerhead or the arm). You shouldn't need pipe dope nor anything more than hand-tight (or 1/4 turn past hand tight at most). How does the washer look?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It took less than a month for the heat exchanger on my oil furnace to plug up completely after I cleaned it. I don't have the tools to do the tuneup, can I assume it's time to call a professional in for cleaning and service?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

stubblyhead posted:

Yeah, that's the way I'm doing it also. What's the correct amount to use?

The big thing here is to make sure the old tape is off the threads. I've swapped leaky showerheads in many apartments I've lived in with a spaghetti mess of old tape on the pipes. I don't know if this is too :spergin:, but I also like to make a straight cut on the tape when I'm done and wrap it nicely.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

canyoneer posted:

The big thing here is to make sure the old tape is off the threads. I've swapped leaky showerheads in many apartments I've lived in with a spaghetti mess of old tape on the pipes. I don't know if this is too :spergin:, but I also like to make a straight cut on the tape when I'm done and wrap it nicely.

How old is this shower arm? If you're having this many problems getting a good seal with it, then it might be time to replace it. They're pretty cheap and they just unscrew out of the wall. Stick a screwdriver down the hole on the end and you now have a handle to turn it with that won't mar the finish.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I have a bathroom that desperately needs a vent fan, but I'd rather not cut a hole through my brand new roof. I'm considering exiting the attic downward through the eaves.

Am I going to have trouble in the winter with water condensing at the first bend in the exhaust pipe and dripping back through the fan? Can this problem be avoided by burying the ~2ft of horizontal exhaust pipe down under my blown attic insulation, or will I end up with soggy cellulose?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

kid sinister posted:

How old is this shower arm? If you're having this many problems getting a good seal with it, then it might be time to replace it. They're pretty cheap and they just unscrew out of the wall. Stick a screwdriver down the hole on the end and you now have a handle to turn it with that won't mar the finish.

My experience has been with slumlord-grade showerheads that disperse water in the worst ways possible. So presumably people are swapping the showerheads with something nicer that they bought themselves while they live there, and then putting it back on before they move out with little regard for keeping it from dripping. In either case, you can't get a good seal without taking off the 3 or 4 layers of old, pilled up teflon tape.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

I have a bathroom that desperately needs a vent fan, but I'd rather not cut a hole through my brand new roof. I'm considering exiting the attic downward through the eaves.

Am I going to have trouble in the winter with water condensing at the first bend in the exhaust pipe and dripping back through the fan? Can this problem be avoided by burying the ~2ft of horizontal exhaust pipe down under my blown attic insulation, or will I end up with soggy cellulose?

If you use insulated flex and bury it you shouldn't get condensation in the hose-- but in the winter all that hot air will condense on the side of your house under the eaves.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

eddiewalker posted:

Call the roofing co and ask them to add a vent sized in your choice. This is a 50 dollar job. Professionally done with some level of guarantee.

Also buy the vent pipe that is already surrounded by fiberglass insulation.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
All right. I guess I'll let someone else cut a hole in my roof.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

stubblyhead posted:

I just put a new showerhead on, and I can't get it to stop leaking at the connection to the shower arm. I've tried varying amounts of teflon tape and degrees of tightness on the connection, but it keeps dripping. The fitting on the showerhead is round so I'm hesitant to use a wrench on it, but I don't think I can get it any tighter by hand (if that is indeed the problem). What am I doing wrong here?

my limited understanding of plumbing tells me that teflon tape on threads is there to prevent the threads from rusting shut and that the actual water seal is made by the contact of the end of the pipe with a rubber gasket on inside of the shower head. If you're trying to prevent a water leak by piling on teflon tape, what you should be doing is making sure there is sufficient contact between the pipe & rubber washer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

rotor posted:

my limited understanding of plumbing tells me that teflon tape on threads is there to prevent the threads from rusting shut and that the actual water seal is made by the contact of the end of the pipe with a rubber gasket on inside of the shower head. If you're trying to prevent a water leak by piling on teflon tape, what you should be doing is making sure there is sufficient contact between the pipe & rubber washer.

While a gasket and compression is certainly a good way to make a watertight fitting, it is far from the only way. Many/most threaded pipe connections are sealed with only their threads and a thread sealant. We're talking gas piping, sprinkler piping, old school black iron sanitary lines..........

Killing Flies
Jun 30, 2007

We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything.

rotor posted:

Here's way more than you ever wanted to know about teflon tape:

No plumber anywhere at any time cares at all about threads rusting shut. They make way more money when they have to come back and cut all that poo poo out and do it over anyway. Plus, it's usually easier for them. Also, there's way more liability for a plumber that leaves a leaking pipe in your house than one that makes it too hard to disassemble their work later. All these things mean they don't give a crap about rusty threads.

The teflon tape really is there to prevent leaking, but it doesn't seal anything on it's own. It is, in fact, a lubricant. No pipes, even if they're cut by a machine to the same size, will be perfect. The realities of modern industry and shipping mean that they'r never perfectly round and never perfectly match up. A gasket provides some measure of wiggle room to correct any imperfection, but you get a perfect seal, you'd have to crank on it to the point that the gasket is destroyed, so you can never get it 100%.

What the teflon tape does is lubricates the threads, defeating the forces of friction that multiplies exponentially as the threads (being a simple lever wound around the pipe) go into the other end. By eliminating friction, the pipes can be screwed together much, much tighter. So tight, in fact, that they actually deform, and create a seal.

The short version is that teflon tape lets you crank the pipes together so hard that water can't leak out. I probably could have just said that at the start.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
I'm not a plumber but I have done a lot of plumbing and I disagree. PTFE tape stops water from leaking past threads. It fills irregularities in the threads mating

That said, I always use BOTH tape and pipe dope; extra insurance against leaks and doesn't hurt anything. If I had to use just one though I'd use the pipe dope.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I have a stream running through my property, about 10 to 20 feet wide and moderately swift. It never runs dry, but occasionally becomes a raging monster 100 feet wide.

Anyone have experience with micro-hydro power, or can point me in the right direction? I'd like to slip a few propeller turbines underwater and power at least my front gate and driveway lighting, maybe even hook into the house.

VV Thanks, that was interesting, though far more involved that what I'm planning! VV

High Lord Elbow fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 12, 2013

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I probably got the link to this from here ages ago as it is, but this is a fascinating read about a guy building his own micro-hydro setup in Chile.
Might help, might not, but a great read anyway.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Call the roofing co and ask them to add a vent sized in your choice. This is a 50 dollar job. Professionally done with some level of guarantee.

Also buy the vent pipe that is already surrounded by fiberglass insulation.

Where are you located that you can get a roofing company to do a professional vent installation for $50?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

socketwrencher posted:

Where are you located that you can get a roofing company to do a professional vent installation for $50?

The midwest.

Killing Flies
Jun 30, 2007

We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything.

dwoloz posted:

I'm not a plumber but I have done a lot of plumbing and I disagree. PTFE tape stops water from leaking past threads. It fills irregularities in the threads mating

That said, I always use BOTH tape and pipe dope; extra insurance against leaks and doesn't hurt anything. If I had to use just one though I'd use the pipe dope.

Welp, it's certainly a bit of both for sure. This factoid is one of those things I learned from a plumber like ten years ago and it made sense so I figured it must be true. I just tried to confirm it, but the best I can do is a couple message boards and the wikipedia article on thread seal tape. Right at the top it says, "The use of PTFE tape in tapered pipe threads performs a lubricating function, which more easily allows the threads to be screwed together, to the point of deformation, which is what creates the seal."

So I guess it could just be one of those things that people just sort of repeat because it seems plausible. Heck, maybe it's one of those things where no one really knows how it works, they just know it does, and that's all that really matters.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Gromit posted:

I probably got the link to this from here ages ago as it is, but this is a fascinating read about a guy building his own micro-hydro setup in Chile.
Might help, might not, but a great read anyway.

This is awesome and everyone should read it. Humankind+tools, gently caress yeah!

I'm in my second way through it now that I know how it all comes together in the end.

Dude is so lucky the amount of head he gets.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I can't quite find a desk to match my needs and space available. So I thought I'd buy a maple workbench top and some legs and call it a day. Unfortunately though they sell ready-made top 25" deep, I haven't been able to find legs that are smaller than 28" deep on top. Mounting to the wall isn't an option, only other requirement is it not look like horseshit. Thanks.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Cool. I'm just wary of going with the lowest bid in a case like this but if that's the going rate then that's fantastic.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Casimir Radon posted:

I can't quite find a desk to match my needs and space available. So I thought I'd buy a maple workbench top and some legs and call it a day. Unfortunately though they sell ready-made top 25" deep, I haven't been able to find legs that are smaller than 28" deep on top. Mounting to the wall isn't an option, only other requirement is it not look like horseshit. Thanks.

Do you have a picture of the legs? I can't imagine desk legs that are almost 2.5 feet deep. Could you angle the legs so that they make a \ / shape under the desk?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

Do you have a picture of the legs? I can't imagine desk legs that are almost 2.5 feet deep. Could you angle the legs so that they make a \ / shape under the desk?
The ones they sell are these ones. I'd prefer to not angle them so I can have more usable space down there.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
That crossbar would make a great footrest, though. :) :o:

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Casimir Radon posted:

The ones they sell are these ones. I'd prefer to not angle them so I can have more usable space down there.

How about trimming 1.5" off each end of the upper flange? If it affects stability (I think it would be fine, but in case) you could add some crossbracing.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got some vinyl vertical blinds that are a bit too long, and permission from my landlord to cut them. He said I should just take a pair of scissors but I've got a pretty unsteady hand I know that's gonna look like crap (also they're pretty thick so scissors wouldn't do it, but a pair of tin ships I have would, but still same unsteady problem)

I've got a couple trigger clamps, so I'm thinking of clamping all the ends together and using a hacksaw in a miter box to give them all a clean even cut. Any idea what kind of blade I should use for such a thing? Or is this a terrible idea?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

I've got some vinyl vertical blinds that are a bit too long, and permission from my landlord to cut them. He said I should just take a pair of scissors but I've got a pretty unsteady hand I know that's gonna look like crap (also they're pretty thick so scissors wouldn't do it, but a pair of tin ships I have would, but still same unsteady problem)

I've got a couple trigger clamps, so I'm thinking of clamping all the ends together and using a hacksaw in a miter box to give them all a clean even cut. Any idea what kind of blade I should use for such a thing? Or is this a terrible idea?

If you dismantle and evenly stack a metal blade and slow strokes will see you through. Too fast and you will cause melting. Also procure some ulta fine/ finish sand paper or sponge to treat the edges.

You might swing by one of the big stores and see if they carry a similar product cut to fit. They might have the tool to use for a 6 pack, a little cash, or it may be a sku. All depending on who you ask and how busy/bored they are.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Amazon and other places sell blind cutters, get a good consistent cut with every slat, well worth ten bucks.
E: buy a used one, resell it back on Amazon when you're done :v:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Casimir Radon posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Waddell-2921-Country-Pine-Table/dp/B000VWHR08/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Adjustable-Table-Leg-Set/dp/B001DSZVTI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_9

http://www.amazon.com/28-Office-Height-Table-Leg/dp/B000WITW86/ref=sr_1_24?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1379115146&sr=1-24&keywords=table+legs

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I have a 2 stroke blower thats always been perfect but now will only run a few seconds on full or half choke. Not at all with no choke. Spark plug looks fine. I replaced the gas and I know the gas is good (weedeater). What should I look at?

2 weeks ago I was using it, stopped it for something and then when I tried to restart I messed up the cord. Couldn't start. I let it sit on the porch with gas in it for 2 weeks until last night when I took it apart to fix the cord. (I didn't touch carb or fuel tank doing this)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 14, 2013

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Vin BioEthanol posted:

I have a 2 stroke blower thats always been perfect but now will only run a few seconds on full or half choke. Not at all with no choke. Spark plug looks fine. I replaced the gas and I know the gas is good (weedeater). What should I look at?

2 weeks I was using it stopped it for something and then when I tried to restart I messed up the cord. Couldn't start. I let it sit on the porch with gas in it for 2 weeks until last night when I took it apart to fix the cord. (I didn't touch carb or fuel tank doing this)

Air leak? Check your gaskets.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Does anyone have experience with steam heating? I'm preparing to convert my 1890s home to steam radiators. Most people seem to want to go the other way, so there's not a lot of information available. If anyone has good links or advise, especially relevant to Canada, it would be appreciated.

Hope this is a good spot for this post. I didn't see a steam heat thread.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Guys, Just installed a new washer, a Whirlpool Cabrio. It's making a loud and sharp metal grinding noise (maybe not metal, but that's the best way I can describe it) at times, and I have no idea what it is. Repair line is not available until Monday, but I'd really like to do some laundry if I can fix this quickly and easily. I took a video hoping that it might help : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7oMHjC0I54
Any ideas? :confused:

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

mr.belowaverage posted:

Does anyone have experience with steam heating? I'm preparing to convert my 1890s home to steam radiators. Most people seem to want to go the other way, so there's not a lot of information available. If anyone has good links or advise, especially relevant to Canada, it would be appreciated.

Hope this is a good spot for this post. I didn't see a steam heat thread.

I think thermal fluid (including water) is the way to go. For heating steam needs to heat to 212f. With fluid you only heat to low 90s max. Also less conductive loss compared to steam. You should see a significant drop in price comparing steam to fluid.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Alfajor posted:

Guys, Just installed a new washer, a Whirlpool Cabrio. It's making a loud and sharp metal grinding noise (maybe not metal, but that's the best way I can describe it) at times, and I have no idea what it is. Repair line is not available until Monday, but I'd really like to do some laundry if I can fix this quickly and easily. I took a video hoping that it might help : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7oMHjC0I54
Any ideas? :confused:

Check the notice inside the lid. "Sounds during washing may be different than normal." I recently used the GE models of these washers and they do sound very different. I suspect it's normal.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

I think thermal fluid (including water) is the way to go. For heating steam needs to heat to 212f. With fluid you only heat to low 90s max. Also less conductive loss compared to steam. You should see a significant drop in price comparing steam to fluid.

I keep looking at fluid and always start to dream of steam again. You can't beat how quickly steam can change the temperature of a room, and where I'm located we never have the same temperatures for long.

Of course, fluid hydronics are way more popular and prolific. Mostly manufacturers and contractors. I'm weighing the pros and cons and trying to install the whole system myself, during my reno. (Except the gas connections of course)

Any good resources for DIY on either system? Google brings me a million blogs where someone hired a contractor, or installer company pages.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

mr.belowaverage posted:

I keep looking at fluid and always start to dream of steam again. You can't beat how quickly steam can change the temperature of a room, and where I'm located we never have the same temperatures for long.

Of course, fluid hydronics are way more popular and prolific. Mostly manufacturers and contractors. I'm weighing the pros and cons and trying to install the whole system myself, during my reno. (Except the gas connections of course)

Any good resources for DIY on either system? Google brings me a million blogs where someone hired a contractor, or installer company pages.

As attractive as steam sounds, it isn't practical to heat with unless the building is huge or you have steam onsite anyways (sanitization, machinery, etc). It's just too expensive to heat water through a phase change. You'll have to deal with the popping and such of expansion/contraction noises too.

Hydronic heat would be the way to go. With a well designed system you can give each room its own zone and save energy.

Sorry I don't have any DIY links, the PanGlobal power engineering books go over system design pretty thoroughly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

I could swear TOH just did an episode that included conversion but I cannot get the videos to load in my phone. I think the biggest potential problem either way is the condition of the supply line and radiators.

You say convert, what system is in place?