Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i think the only thing more shameful than reading the wheel of time series is reading the wizard's first rule series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

is that the one where the plot came to a screaming halt and the book spent like 400,000 words on four days of people doing nothing

this plus braid-tugging

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
What did Pohl write that is well recommended?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

MindSet posted:

What did Pohl write that is well recommended?
gateway, which i've been meaning to read for a while

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

400,000 words on four days of people doing nothing
but enough about the yospos current job status thread...

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

ol qwerty bastard posted:

well

i liked harry potter and the methods of rationality

so maybe i'm broken enough to enjoy this too

why doesn't HJPEV transfigure some antimatter already

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Sham bam bamina! posted:

gateway, which i've been meaning to read for a while

gateway is the best thing he wrote and the next 2 heechee books are okay

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

is that the one where the plot came to a screaming halt and the book spent like 400,000 words on four days of people doing nothing

Pretty sure that was book 8 yeah. I'm not sure which one I stopped on, it was a long time ago. Really it was only somewhat interesting up til book 4 or so, after which it slowed down big time, and then it was 8 or 9 that it slammed into a wall. I think I might have got through book 9 before quitting, and that's when I was the worst most pimpliest horrible fantasy nerd, and a teenager. If someone tells you they read the whole series, walk away.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Pretty sure that was book 8 yeah. I'm not sure which one I stopped on, it was a long time ago. Really it was only somewhat interesting up til book 4 or so, after which it slowed down big time, and then it was 8 or 9 that it slammed into a wall. I think I might have got through book 9 before quitting, and that's when I was the worst most pimpliest horrible fantasy nerd, and a teenager. If someone tells you they read the whole series, walk away.

yeah there's one book where the entire 800 pages or so takes place within the same timespan as one chapter of the previous one and that's where I gave up on it

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

cultureulterior posted:

why doesn't HJPEV transfigure some antimatter already

i want to see if he can transfigure a black hole

or at least a supercritical sphere of plutonium or something

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

angry_keebler posted:

gateway is the best thing he wrote and the next 2 heechee books are okay

space merchants is recommended too (including by kingsley amis), the only one of his books i've read is man plus which is good. look at his science fiction encyclopaedia entry

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

furthermore: http://punkadiddle.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/robert-jordan-wheel-of-time-1-eye-of.html

quote:

So, I read the first volume, and I’m heartened. It turns out that The Wheel of Time is not long at all. It may look long to the inexperienced eye, but it’s actually fairly short. The whole series will be a doddle.

Here’s what I mean. The Eye of the World is 53 chapters, each chapter 15-20 pages long. But the plot traced out by those 53 chapters is unthreateningly simple, and even the narrative, though clearly puffed and tumoured a little in terms of length, is not much longer. Jordan’s 800 page novel is actually a 300 page novel. For example: Jordan’s protagonist is making his way through the forest with his dad when he sees a mysterious dark horseman. Here’s how Jordan writes the sentence ‘Rand stumbled and nearly fell.’

Abruptly a stone caught his heel and he stumbled, breaking his eyes away from the dark horseman. His bow dropped to the road, and only an outthrust hand grabbing Bela’s harness saved him from falling flat on his back. With a startled snort the mare stopped, twisting her head to see what had caught her. [4]

they get pretty abusive round about number 8 or 9 iirc

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Speaking of Bad Bookes; holy piss is Extinction Point in the category... Picked it up for a quid on the amazon daily kindle deal after reading the post-apocalyptic synopsis and seeing the decent star rating. lol on me and my £1. Within the first 10 pages I was thinking 'drat, this really seems like it was written by a 12-year old', the sentence structure and language is so simple; never mind, perhaps it's a stylistic thing? Ha. The heroine, a spunky young smalltown journalist working in the big apple is the last person alive after the aforementioned book title, but is contacted by a group of arctic research survivors (sp. just in case you are a masochist) who tell her to get her arse to meet them; 'Oh, I can't drive; I will bicycle from New York to north of Canada' FFFFFFff what. Considering every car is now free and there is no-one else on the roads, perhaps you could give it a try, surely in your adult life you've seen someone drive before, been a passenger? Surely as a smalltown gal you were desperate to get your license and a beater car to do stuff with friends?? You'll need lots of supplies on your trip north, shelter etc? And the research team are all 'Oh ok then see you'.

Ipad Kindle app, so I couldn't hurl it across the room, and press/hold->delete doesn't feel nearly as good :mad:

Looking at the Amazon reviews, almost all the 5-pointers are one-line poo poo and all the 1-stars are, well, people like me.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

House Louse posted:

furthermore: http://punkadiddle.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/robert-jordan-wheel-of-time-1-eye-of.html

I'm firmly convinced Jordan got paid by the letter.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ol qwerty bastard posted:

i also got "the name of the wind" because someone recommended it to me. usually i'm not all that into fantasy but this seems closer to "what if magic is science" sort of stuff maybe? i dunno. if i don't like it, meh, i wasted six dollars.

if you like that read "ventus" by karl schroeder, it's real good and free from his web site

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

go get anathem instead
thank me later

yeah i like anathem. enjoyed it more the second time than the first

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

House Louse posted:

no you see it's important to know just how he stumbled and what kept him from falling completely, anything less will shatter the immersion

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Stymie posted:

i think the only thing more shameful than reading the wheel of time series is reading the wizard's first rule series

where do gor books rank on this spectrume of shame?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sham bam bamina! posted:

no you see it's important to know just how he stumbled and what kept him from falling completely, anything less will shatter the immersion

Brb, smoothing my skirt

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

golgo13sf posted:

Brb, smoothing my skirt

Don't forget to tug your braid.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Don't forget to tug your braid.

14 pages later....

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Most people started wheel of time as a teenager, when reading long books made you look cool and smart. The fact that it was a long winded shelf bender was a selling point

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

stoutfish posted:

at least the gor books are honest about the author's desire to treat women like objects, unlike goodkind

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
terry goodkind was basically the perfect objectivist fantasy author because he basically rewrote the fountainhead and all his books had creepy woman-hating sex scenes stuffed into them at every opportunity

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Stymie posted:

terry goodkind was basically the perfect objectivist fantasy author because he basically rewrote the fountainhead and all his books had creepy woman-hating sex scenes stuffed into them at every opportunity
      /

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

i actually have pretty fond memories of david edding's belgariad, probably because it was the first fantasy series i read through. it wasn't anywhere near as verbose as jordan and grrm

edit: don't take this as a recommendation. it's probably awful from an adult perspective

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 11, 2013

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the first fantasy i read after lotr was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alanna:_The_First_Adventure which featured a girl and had her go through puberty and have sex and all kinds of stuff. no idea how i edned up reading that as an 9 or 10 year old boy but i'm kind of grateful now, learned a lot and i'm not a misogynist

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

the only fantasy series i would actually recommend as good is Ursula Le Guin's earthsea quartet

people like gene wolfe and like to have long threads on how Literature book of the new sun is but it's actually pretty childish and stupid IMO

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

House Louse posted:

some of the comments on these reviews are so typical

quote:

I think its easy to argue that theres no depth to these characters this early in the book because there hasnt been the time to create the depth.

after 1600 pages. fantasy fans.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

This adam roberts guy seems cool, has anyone read his novels?

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Amethyst posted:

some of the comments on these reviews are so typical

after 1600 pages. fantasy fans.

fantasy fans will argue that a character has no depth until they are raped in graphic detail

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Trig Discipline posted:

yeah i like anathem. enjoyed it more the second time than the first

yeah a chilling warning of the dangers of collectivism

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
i started reading wheel of time when i was younger and just wanted to see how it ended so i read the whole thing. since then ive read better books so i realize that he wasnt some master craftsman but it was still entertaining

also seconding ventus, was good book

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

stoutfish posted:

ultraviolet on the shame spectrum

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

yesterday i saw a car on the freeway that had a bumper sticker which simply read "GOREAN"

i was a little concerned driving near to that person so i switched lanes

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

duTrieux. posted:

yesterday i saw a car on the freeway that had a bumper sticker which simply read "GOREAN"

i was a little concerned driving near to that person so i switched lanes

prude

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i have also shifted lanes to get away from cars with the following stickers:
  • where is the birthing certificate
  • nra (3+ stickers)
  • infowars
  • animals (7+ for the same type)

these people are dangerous and possibly unhinged, and may snap at any moment

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i just try to get away from any other cars on the road because all other drivers are terrible

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I had a glock sticker on my car next to my EMT star just to make sure people knew I wasn't fuqqin around.

I like to think its the reason my car never got broken into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I had a glock sticker on my car next to my EMT star just to make sure people knew I wasn't fuqqin around.

I like to think its the reason my car never got broken into.

i dunno that says to me "im probably the kind of idiot that just leaves guns in my car"

• Locked thread