Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This might just be me being a terrible dork, but Steins;Gate and Lovely Complex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

The Devil Tesla posted:

This might just be me being a terrible dork, but Steins;Gate and Lovely Complex?
I don't think either of those are anything like what Tuxedo's looking for.

I want the same sort of relationship in an anime and I was disappointed by the lack of options 40 pages ago, too.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
You're more likely to find that sort of thing in manga tbh. It seems to be the foundation of every high school/Slice of life drama/comedy that's come out in the past five or so years.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm looking for some good stuff to read, but I'm not really sure how to describe my tastes. I'll just list off the stuff I've been enjoying so far, and note that I'd prefer finished series because I don't really like waiting for the next chapter.

I have finished and adored, manga-wise:
Fullmetal Alchemist, The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, Beck

I have finished and liked:
Bakuman, Yakitate Japan, Ouran Host Club, Onani Master Kurosawa, Molester Man, Lovely Complex

I'm currently really enjoying, but am annoyed by having to wait for:
Silver Spoon, Assassination Classroom, Sengoku Youko, Spirit Circle, Bonnouji, Liar Game

I got bored and stopped reading:
The World God Only Knows, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, Genshiken, Welcome to the NHK

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is my favourite manga, although I haven't read most of what you listed so I'm not sure whether it'll be to your taste or not. Not much happens in it, but it's beautiful and intriguing.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Go read Devilman. Great action manga and a classic.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 8, 2013

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm looking for some good stuff to read, but I'm not really sure how to describe my tastes. I'll just list off the stuff I've been enjoying so far, and note that I'd prefer finished series because I don't really like waiting for the next chapter.

Bakuman, Yakitate Japan, Ouran Host Club, Onani Master Kurosawa, Molester Man, Lovely Complex

Silver Spoon, Assassination Classroom, Sengoku Youko, Spirit Circle, Bonnouji, Liar Game

The World God Only Knows, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, Genshiken, Welcome to the NHK

It's really interesting to me that you were down for Onani Master and Molester Man, but not Welcome to the NHK.

Well, give Kokou no Hito a shot, for a finished manga. It's not too similar to any of the stuff you've liked so far, but going off your list I don't see any reason you should dislike it.
Oyasumi Punpun is amazing, but I'm sorry for recommending it. It's also got a single volume left before it's complete, which won't be out until Winter, so you may want to hold off anyway.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Mors Rattus posted:

Strongest Man Kurosawa, Alita/Gunnm.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mors Rattus posted:

I made a list of a bunch of good series, which includes some of the series you mentioned already, in this thread here, and a list of romance/drama/seinen series in this post in this very thread. I would also recommend Kimi ni Todoke even though it is excrutiatingly slow initially, but the secondary characters are so outstanding that it makes up for the main two initially being incredibly romantically dense. It does go places eventually though!

Have my post about Sand Chronicles while I'm dumping a bunch of recommendations:

Captain Invictus posted:

Wow uh, why is Sand Chronicles not in the OP? Aside from the horrible spiderfingers and general hand anatomy for most of it(I just got the last three volumes and the artist seems to have practiced a lot to fix it for those), it's an extremely well done series about a girl who goes through life, love, and traveling after suffering a major traumatic experience when young. It portrays things like untreated psychological trauma, depression, and the inability to let go pretty realistically, as well as love, unrequited love, moving on, and other topics. The "heroine" is very flawed and doesn't always make the best decisions. The time scale is in years and decades, not days or months, and it moves through elementary, middle, and high school at a fairly brisk, reasonable rate, rather than beginning at, like, the first year of high school and ending at graduation. It then continues on into her life past the typical school years.

I was a bit surprised and maybe disappointed to see that volume 8 is where the main story actually ends even though there's a 9th and 10th volume since my main reason for buying the last three volumes was to see where it would go in three whole volumes with how things ended in volume 7, but the side stories in those are so god drat good(and mostly take place after the story concludes anyways) that it was well worth reading them. I felt the actual story's ending was a bit rushed, but that could also be due to the whole series moving at a pretty rapid pace altogether(the story begins when Ann is 12, and ends when she's at least 30, spending a decent amount of time on each stage of her life up to that point.

Definitely worth the read. The spiderfingers are still the worst though and kinda ruin a bunch of scenes because they're so drat badly drawn. Glad she fixed that for the last three books for the most part.
If you read a few volumes and like it, might as well order the 8th, 9th, and 10th volumes off Amazon since people stopped scanlating it when it got licensed(after the 7th volume).

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Reccomendation for those who somehow missed these shows: Crunchyroll just added Akagi (on ATDRWiki) to their catalog, complmenting both seasons of Kaiji (ADTRWiki!), which were added a few months ago! Unless I'm missing something, this is the first time they've been available legally. These series are adapted from manga by Nobuyuki Fukumoto, and are some rather brilliant takes on gambling.

Kaiji is the best place to start, with the first season involving brilliant, original life or death gambles, and watching the show present and then explore the nuances of something as absurd as high stakes rock, paper, scissors is addictive, and unexpectedly profound. Kaiji himself is relatable and charmingly pathetic, and he somehow manages to make amazingly smart decisions while gambling only to make loving awful ones when it comes to his regular life. Akagi is a different kind of beast, involving a real life game (Mahjong) and focusing on a character who is freakishly talented instead of barely hanging on. It's a few steps away from obnoxious, but the story smartly handles it's protagonist, treating him more like a spawn of satan instead of some kind of hero. The one hitch to the show is that it can be a little incomprehensible without some knowledge of Japanese Mahjong, but referencing the game's helpful wikipedia page from time to time will help you remember what the rediculious things they are declaring mean.

Oh, and while it works more often than it doesn't, both shows take a slow pace, even for an anime. With a few rare exceptions this is because they actually have a lot to talk about and mull over, and the episodes that don't really work are worth sitting through for the ones that get everything right. The first season of Kaiji is something everyone should try, and from there you have two more seasons of Fukumoto to watch!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Akagi and Kaiji both look interesting based on that recommendation, thanks.

This may not be the best place to ask, but - what's the best live action drama offered on Crunchyroll currently?

While I'm here, I want sport anime recommendations. My favourites in this genre are probably Giant Killing and Chihayafuru. I prefer realism and pro-sports as opposed to high school club stuff (Chihayafuru being the exception). Yawara is already on my list. Akagi and Kaiji are also contenders.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I, uh, just got around to reading Qualia the Purple. Uh, I...think...thinking is hard, brain hurt...I think...people should read it. It goes in a lot of directions that you wouldn't expect. It starts out with a girl who can only see every living thing as robots and from there it broke my brain with quantum physics and gets exponentially more incredible with each passing chapter.

I need to lie down.

Thanks for recommending this. I'm on ch 6 now and it's really cool and really different.

e: I remember learning about the "Mary's Room" thought experiment in the philosophy class I took as an elective in college. It was a cool surprise to learn that this manga was partially influenced by ideas like that.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 12, 2013

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Mors Rattus posted:

20th Century Boys is one of the best comics I've ever read. I don't really know how to describe it beyond that. Imagine a combination of Stephen King's IT with something more Japanese like Beck or Initial D and maybe a little Six String Samurai or Streets of Fire. It's very much a critique of modern Japan, but the kind of stuff that it's going after is so universal that parallels can easily be found for the western world. And the main character might be my favorite manga hero ever, he reminds me a lot of a grown up version of the main character from Beck actually.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

El Estrago Bonito posted:

20th Century Boys is one of the best comics I've ever read. I don't really know how to describe it beyond that. Imagine a combination of Stephen King's IT with something more Japanese like Beck or Initial D and maybe a little Six String Samurai or Streets of Fire. It's very much a critique of modern Japan, but the kind of stuff that it's going after is so universal that parallels can easily be found for the western world. And the main character might be my favorite manga hero ever, he reminds me a lot of a grown up version of the main character from Beck actually.

Seconding the poo poo out of this one. I can't believe I forgot about it when I replied before.
If you end up reading it, there's also 21st Century Boys which is sort of an epilogue, so read it when you're done.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sakurazuka posted:

Not sure about dry wit exactly, but if you haven't seen Spice & Wolf the verbal sparring between the main characters is the highlight of that show.

I started watching this today and it's almost exactly the dynamic I was looking for, thank you.

Vogelspinne
Dec 16, 2010
Any recommendations for really dark/disturbing animes? My roommate and I have pretty broad taste but we're looking specifically for things that are Super hosed Up.

She's seen (and loved) Elfen Lied. We've both watched FMA (I know, not that dark but it had its really screwed up moments) and are currently watching Attack on Titan. We're also both a fan of the Battle Royale manga. I'm blanking on any other dark things we're already watched or read.

Thank you!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Vogelspinne posted:

Any recommendations for really dark/disturbing animes? My roommate and I have pretty broad taste but we're looking specifically for things that are Super hosed Up.

She's seen (and loved) Elfen Lied. We've both watched FMA (I know, not that dark but it had its really screwed up moments) and are currently watching Attack on Titan. We're also both a fan of the Battle Royale manga. I'm blanking on any other dark things we're already watched or read.

Thank you!

Shin Sekai Yori for sure.
Shiki would also probably work for you, as might Another.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vogelspinne posted:

Thank you!

You might be interested in the works of Gen Urobuchi. Try Madoka Magica (yes, really), Fate/Zero, and Psycho-Pass. Avoid Gargantia, though.

Also, I'm not sure which FMA you watched, but you might want to try the other one too. I could write a lot about FMA, but I guess what matters for your purposes is that the first anime is more emotionally dark, while Brotherhood is more violent. (I consider the manga better than Brotherhood, but you specifically asked for animes. I won't say whether the first anime is better or worse than the manga, because they're so different from each other.)

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Vogelspinne posted:

Thank you!

If you're fine with eroge, you could try Saya no Uta. It's by the same writer who would later write Fate/Zero and Madoka Magica (recommended above, both great shows).

Here's the first ten minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDHJ05TbDxU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Dark/disturbing and nobody said Higurashi yet?

Future Diary, Fate/Zero and Black Lagoon are also pretty bleak.

Oh, and a special recommendation for Blood-C, which isn't so much dark and disturbing as it is gory and hateful to the point of unintentional hilarity.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

If you're fine with eroge, you could try Saya no Uta. It's by the same writer who would later write Fate/Zero and Madoka Magica (recommended above, both great shows).

Here's the first ten minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDHJ05TbDxU

While we're on the subject of VNs, Fate/Stay Night (which Fate/Zero is a prequel to) is also good (though not as consistently good as Zero). Avoid the Fate/Stay Night anime, though.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Vogelspinne posted:

How about Now and Then, Here and There or NaruTaru?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No one suggested School Days yet? :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I'll go ahead and suggest this thing called Magical Girls of the End. It's initially basically WHAT IF MAGICAL GIRLS(like Sailor Moon) WERE SUPER-ZOMBIE THINGS AND ALSO NIGH-UNSTOPPABLE HERALDS OF THE APOCALYPSE???

Magical girl-zombie's pet dog vomiting magical sparkle-stars from transformation sequences to regenerate the charred husk of its master's body is really something else, and that's barely even scratching the surface. It's horrifically(wonderfully) gory so be warned about that!

It's so ridiculously over-the-top in every way but played straight, that I can't help but love it. It's unfortunately got something really off-putting later on in a fanservice way with the requisite Creepy Raper Guy part of the survivor crew, but other than that the ~magical girl mystery~ is pretty great. The fanservice character is so absurd to the point of not being titillating(and actually a decent character on her own), the violence and attempted shocker scenes are absurd, and the magical girls themselves are absurd, of course. The whole thing is absurd. I still want to see where this goes, especially with what's happened in recent chapters. The point I knew I would love this was when some characters were decapitated and gigantic torrents of blood probably bigger than their entire bodies came shooting out of their neck stumps. It's THAT sort of series and I hope more scanlations get completed soon. :allears:

If you take it seriously I guess it could be considered dark/disturbing though!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 14, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Redcrimson posted:

Dark/disturbing and nobody said Higurashi yet?

Always loved that OP. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmhZ6FYoNEs

But, speaking of this, I just check BBT and apparently there's a live action adaptation? :geno:

Is it worth watching?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think so, I remember it being described as incredibly cheesy and poorly acted.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The trouble with Higurashi is that it's only really dark and disturbing for the first season, once you actually start getting answers about what going on it turns into more of a mystery thriller thing instead of horror.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The anime adaptation also kinda blows compared to the source material.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The anime adaptation also kinda blows compared to the source material.

That's true of the first Higurashi season, but it's still watchable (especially for dark/disturbing purposes) if you don't know anything about the original work.

I believe they actually did a much better job with the second season though, including retroactively addressing some things the first anime didn't properly adapt.

Sakurazuka posted:

The trouble with Higurashi is that it's only really dark and disturbing for the first season, once you actually start getting answers about what going on it turns into more of a mystery thriller thing instead of horror.

There's at least a couple of events in S2 that qualify as rather disturbing, I think...but yes, it's definitely more concerned with solving the mystery.

wielder fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 13, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Higurashi S1 is purely setup via :psyboom: arcs. S2 was almost entirely mystery solving.

Another Another vote from me. The premise is a bit silly, but the atmosphere of the show was perfect as a horror story.

I'll also recommend Urobichi works (minus Gargantia).

This one I'm not sure about, but Texhnolyze might also fit. It ends up being more depressing than dark, but it has a fantastic story with great characters and writing.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 13, 2013

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Speed Grapher was dark and weird. I'm not sure "good" describes it but it's at least as good as Elfen Lied.

Shigurui: Death Frenzy is also pretty awesome, although the anime just sort of stops randomly before the plot completes.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Vogelspinne posted:

Thank you!

I found the first episode of Mnemosyne so :stonk: that I stopped watching it, so it might be what you are looking for. Maybe it gets even more super hosed up after that.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

sinky posted:

I found the first episode of Mnemosyne so :stonk: that I stopped watching it, so it might be what you are looking for. Maybe it gets even more super hosed up after that.
Three words. Cannibal Rape Angels.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
How about a good comedy anime? I'm planning on buying a lot and so far the stuff on my list is a lot of fighting and action, and I want to have a more varied collection.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

How about a good comedy anime? I'm planning on buying a lot and so far the stuff on my list is a lot of fighting and action, and I want to have a more varied collection.

If you're specifically looking for anime that's been released, there's Nichibros, and Panty and Stocking. I'd recommend them anyway if you weren't looking for stuff that's been released stateside.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

WickedHate posted:

Lovely Complex is pretty drat funny. It also makes the GREATEST faces.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

WickedHate posted:

The best comedy anime is Cromartie High School. Watch the dub.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Bongo Bill posted:

The best comedy anime is Cromartie High School. Watch the dub.

I dunno. I felt that Kamiyama's voice actor wasn't nearly as good in the dub. Half the humor I got from the character was from how clipped and polite his speech was compared to the rest of the cast. Also, Norio Wakamoto as Mechazawa.

But yes, Cromartie owns.

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 16, 2013

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Captain Invictus posted:

Lovely Complex is pretty drat funny. It also makes the GREATEST faces.

Oooh, this one looks great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zero_Tactility posted:

I dunno. I felt that Kamiyama's voice actor wasn't nearly as good in the dub. Half the humor I got from the character was from how clipped and polite his speech was compared to the rest of the cast. Also, Norio Wakamoto as Mechazawa.

But yes, Cromartie owns.

It's mostly that the dub uses a different translation with generally excellent comedic timing. The subtitles lean more heavily on the absurdism, but the dub doesn't exactly diminish that aspect either.

• Locked thread