Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Deeters posted:

This thing was in it too, not sure how it's not a car

That guy passed me on some Bethel backroad down by the train tracks one day. Glad you caught it, I couldn't get my camera out fast enough. Whatever it is, it's a two seater, he had some very embarrassed-looking passenger with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I saw one of those in Durango. IIRC it was called a Stallion? Looked like it was a Ford Focus or similar chopped up and turned into a RWD 3-wheeler.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

clutchpuck posted:

I saw one of those in Durango. IIRC it was called a Stallion? Looked like it was a Ford Focus or similar chopped up and turned into a RWD 3-wheeler.

http://www.dfwtrikes.com/

Man, that is horrible. That 2.3L Ford motor must be the Duratec. This trike has the same shifter as my '06 Focus (which has the 2.0 Duratec).

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

http://www.dfwtrikes.com/

Man, that is horrible. That 2.3L Ford motor must be the Duratec. This trike has the same shifter as my '06 Focus (which has the 2.0 Duratec).

:what:

quote:

In the automotive world, the world "stallion" usually either conjures up images of a mustang or a certain prancing horse from Italy. Thoroughbred Motorsports would like to change that perception with their new three-wheeled vehicle.

AHAAHHAHAHAHAHA

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 9, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ReelBigLizard posted:

:what:

AHAAHHAHAHAHAHA

I have dreamed of this for so long. And now, my dream has become...today

What the gently caress, seriously? Who is this meant to appeal to? I want to know the mindset of the designers and the (I assume) group of people who thought putting money into it was an awesome idea.

Also in their blurb the trumpet the fact that the 2.3 ford engine is made in ~~cologne, germany~~

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

From the DnD pics thread.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

:gonk: It's worse than I thought. Some of the interior shots you can even see where they covered the Ford logo with their own.

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

Deeters posted:

:gonk: It's worse than I thought. Some of the interior shots you can even see where they covered the Ford logo with their own.

I ran into a retired couple touring in one of these in Traverse City, MI. They looked pretty traumatized. The interior was completely trashed by rain and road dirt.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

THE STALLION: For people who want to pay way too much to do way less than a bike can.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

TRIKES: For people who want to pay way too much to do way less than a bike can.

Also applies to reverse trikes like the can-am things and those VW engines atrocities.

\/\/ Ok that is an exception I agree, the Morgan is awesome

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 9, 2013

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

:colbert:

If I were gonna spend money on an open-cockpit, toy, though, I'd probably just save a bit more for an Ariel Atom.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

If I were gonna spend money on an open-cockpit, toy, though, I'd probably just save a bit more for an Ariel Atom.

Yeah. The atom really is a car that can match a bike. Driving one still isn't anything like riding an actual bike though, despite what top gear may believe.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh my god, I need an 899.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

Slavvy posted:

What the gently caress, seriously? Who is this meant to appeal to?
From the look of it, convertible Miata owners.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I need to stop finding these terrible things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URsj-8GiiY4

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

100 MPH

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Deeters posted:

I need to stop finding these terrible things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URsj-8GiiY4
ZOMG! ILLEGAL QUAD ON THE FREEWAY!

wait...

what's that?

That's a friggin' license plate?

:psypop:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Kenny Rogers posted:

That's a friggin' license plate?

Yeah but I'm not seeing the disabled pass :colbert:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

If atv's could be made street legal easier in the US I wonder what the effect would be on traffic? Would we see numbers of people commuting on ATV's as cheaper alternatives to cars? I imagine they would appeal to the same people who use golf carts as neighborhood vehicles.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
In areas in the US where they are legal, neighborhood vehicles is the only way I see them used.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coredump posted:

If atv's could be made street legal easier in the US I wonder what the effect would be on traffic? Would we see numbers of people commuting on ATV's as cheaper alternatives to cars? I imagine they would appeal to the same people who use golf carts as neighborhood vehicles.

they can be street legal in the UK and other European countries, but they don't seem to be that popular. Having none of the advantages of a car and none of the advantages of a bike either probably have something to do with it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ah but in the US we have rednecks...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
They aren't legal to run on the street but if you go to any rural area you'll see quads on the road all the time.

In fact I checked my imgur history....

I passed that guy when I was riding to Shawnee State Forest in SE Ohio. I pulled over to snap a pic and he passed me again, changing the track on his ipod.

Seems like he'd fully ready for the road.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Oh my god, I need an 899.

Holy gently caress! WANT! Pretty much sums up my reaction. I already thought the 848 was the most beautiful of bikes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

They aren't legal to run on the street but if you go to any rural area you'll see quads on the road all the time.

They can be legal, especially in rural areas. I know Idaho provides restricted plates for them, which means you can ride them on any county road that hasn't been designated a no-ATV road by a city or county with jurisdiction over that road. Of course, typically the places they're allowed tend to line up pretty closely with rural areas. (e: almost the entire state of Idaho lines up with rural areas, for that matter)

They were kicking a similar bill around in Olympia not to long ago, if I remember right. Didn't pass.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 10, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's pretty cool, never heard of that. Here I think the police just don't care. Hell, the cop is probably your neighbor and doing it too.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Here's my friend channeling his inner Macguyver to start his Ducati:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x7nQayany8

His explanation - "The neutral switch crapped out on me. So the drat Italian Magneti Marelli ECU doesn't get a signal from said faulty switch to tell it that it's NOT in gear all the time, even when its actually in neutral. The ECU doesn't allow the starter to run if it's not in neutral. So I have to "strategically" ground out the wire that goes to the sensor to make it "think" that it's working. A paper clip does the charm"

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

I did a search for my car's paint "Sunburt Gold Metallic"; I am shopping for a new color for the Ulysses. Doesn't look half bad on a beakster.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Ironsights posted:

Here's my friend channeling his inner Macguyver to start his Ducati:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x7nQayany8

His explanation - "The neutral switch crapped out on me. So the drat Italian Magneti Marelli ECU doesn't get a signal from said faulty switch to tell it that it's NOT in gear all the time, even when its actually in neutral. The ECU doesn't allow the starter to run if it's not in neutral. So I have to "strategically" ground out the wire that goes to the sensor to make it "think" that it's working. A paper clip does the charm"

Is his clutch switch broken too?

Edit - And his kickstand switch? Shouldn't it die when he removes the paperclip?

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 11, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

nsaP posted:

I see quads in Montana all over all of the time, even downtown Great Falls and Helena.

Not sure if they're just on meth runs or what, but I see them so often now I don't even give a second look.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
When I was in Chamonix back in 2007 apparently they were street legal in France.

(Click for big)

The_Fur
May 23, 2003
The next person who calls me a furry will be hunted down and skinned alive with a rusted tea spoon.
Here in the Netherlands you see more and more running around. Provided they have indicators and such they can be street-legal. They are basically treated as cars law wise (since every vehicle with more then 2 wheels is). IIRC you don't even have to wear a helmet though you'd have to be an idiot not to.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That'd be cool as hell, I'd love to see em around an plated. In KY they aren't some 'alternative transportation' or anything like that, more like an easy way to get to a neighbors that's a half mile away. I can see em getting popular in the city tho, with kids and people who work in the city, raise kids in the burbs and have farmland a ways out.

I was always under the impression that they couldn't be street legal cause of fed and state safety regulations that focused on 4 wheels and up. Here 3 wheels and under is a motorcycle.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I remember a kid in KC in the early 2000s put some big wheels on his quad. His attempts to make it legal were in the news at least once, but he failed. I've also seen AK State Troopers or Wild Justice (TV Shows) yelling at kids to get off the road (in bumfuck AK, who cares.)

I rode out to this "ghost town" (with people still living in it) in SE Kansas and everyone was riding quads and side by sides.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

They're street legal in Sweden as long as they're registered and have all the necessities (turn signal, brake light, etc). I see them on the streets occasionally.

I've seen at least two guys 12 o 'clock them trying to wheelie. :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I the US they are street legal in (I believe) some parts of South Dakota and Wyoming. I had a buddy who went to Wyotech and he said that they were pretty frequently on the street down there. Street legal for everything except highway use.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I've seen teeny towns in nowhere eastern WA that have zones where quads can be ridden on the street.

That and of course the free world of Baltimore.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Heck, we used to ride the 3wheeler around the streets in Falmouth, MA. No idea if it was legal though, I was like 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Collateral Damage posted:

They're street legal in Sweden as long as they're registered and have all the necessities (turn signal, brake light, etc). I see them on the streets occasionally.

I've seen at least two guys 12 o 'clock them trying to wheelie. :v:

Street legal in Denmark as well, provided you have all the necessities and have paid the horrendous registration tax.

Or, you can plate it as a tractor, which is a whole lot cheaper. But you'll have to install a 40km/h limiter and the ticket for circumventing the limiter may include the entire cost of the registration tax you dodged by registering it as a tractor in the first place.

Nevertheless, ATVs have started to show up on the roads around here, fully plated and everything.