Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I take it D&D chronicles must be played on the big screen because I cant for the life of me find a way to bring it to the gamepad... well that's depressing. It's not a huge deal because I got the game for free, but it's a bummer if it doesn't have game pad only support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Spiffster posted:

I take it D&D chronicles must be played on the big screen because I cant for the life of me find a way to bring it to the gamepad... well that's depressing. It's not a huge deal because I got the game for free, but it's a bummer if it doesn't have game pad only support.

What. Unless I changed something in the options and forgot, it plays on the gamepad by default. You have to adjust the screen so it fills the gamepad screen, though.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently I pressed a button to much and it went straight to the options screen. didn't even see an option for backtracking. That was really weird... :iiam:

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

deadwing posted:

Nintendo Land is 15 bucks used at Gamestop, you should definitely pick that up. It's highly accessible to new gamers.

Gamestop is doing a thing where if you get 3 certain games, you get the whole deal 50% off and Nintendo Land is one of these games. If you feel like picking up any other cheapos, it might be worth it.

kater posted:

It's on sale for $7.50 right now too.

Only theoretically, unfortunately. (I wanted to take advantage of it like this for the exact same reason, e.g., getting the WW Bundle and thus not Nintendo Land.) See the above.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

Well yeah, havent you seen a cat? Their entire day revolves around sleeping, eating, and getting pet. Who wouldnt be stoked as poo poo?

Oh yeah? what about dogs :colbert:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Shoopuf posted:

Gamestop is doing a thing where if you get 3 certain games, you get the whole deal 50% off and Nintendo Land is one of these games. If you feel like picking up any other cheapos, it might be worth it.

Only theoretically, unfortunately. (I wanted to take advantage of it like this for the exact same reason, e.g., getting the WW Bundle and thus not Nintendo Land.) See the above.

Here's the list of eligible games. I'd highly recommend getting Ghost Squad for the Wii because Ghost Squad is the best light gun game, and then something else that interests you. Boom Blox Bash Party got a decent amount of multiplayer time back in the day. There's quite a few solid older PS3/360 games on the list too, if you don't own Space rear end in a top hat, this is your chance!

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

deadwing posted:

Here's the list of eligible games. I'd highly recommend getting Ghost Squad for the Wii because Ghost Squad is the best light gun game, and then something else that interests you. Boom Blox Bash Party got a decent amount of multiplayer time back in the day. There's quite a few solid older PS3/360 games on the list too, if you don't own Space rear end in a top hat, this is your chance!

Someone in that link pointed out how the eligibility dates as well as the rest of the fine print text are the same thing from the 3 for $10 deal so now I don't know what to think. :psyduck: Is it 3 games at 50% or just any single game is half off? Who knows?!

vvv I work there, too. I just haven't been in since we started doing that and was going off what a coworker said. :negative: We're all misinformed miscreants. vvv

Shoopuf fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 11, 2013

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I work there (Not too proud of that fact). They literally just forgot to change the fine print on the bottom from the previous deal. Everything on the list is 50% off, no strings attached. Some of them haven't been ringing up half off for some reason, so whoever's there should just manually deduct it.

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?
As much as I wanted to get this a year ago, my best friend convinced me otherwise with his constant bad-mouthing of the specs. I figured at least wait until a special version of the console is announced. So now my pre-order for the WW Wii U has been placed. That way I'll at least get some resale value out of it when the next console comes along.

Getting just over $30 for my old Wii was quite painful :smithicide:

I am rather disappointed that the Wind Waker copy I get with the package is the digital download only. What is with the 3DS and Wii U doing this? It kinda pisses me off. Maybe its because I'm not a parent of toddlers who drool all over discs and tear up cases, but if I'm paying for a game I want the loving thing in my hand. I'm just going to trick my brain into thinking I'm getting that part for free and buy the physical game anyway and keep it sealed. I'm going to pick up the new Pikmin, Luigi U, and Rayman as well. Come on September 20th can't you get here any sooner? :ohdear:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

EllisD posted:

I am rather disappointed that the Wind Waker copy I get with the package is the digital download only. What is with the 3DS and Wii U doing this?

It's way cheaper for Nintendo and it gets people into the eshop and teaches them how to use it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Plus gently caress changing discs and gently caress environmental waste and gently caress taking up space forever. RIP physical media (if you live somewhere with high speed internet access, and can afford it)

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?
Yeah but I heard if your system gets stolen or is otherwise permanently damaged that you lose every game you've purchased on it, correct? That only gives thieves a bigger incentive to jack systems, because they're no longer seeing it as the value of the system alone, but that + hundreds of dollars of potential games. It actually makes me nervous to take my 3DS on a train and it's the reason I bought it. :\

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
For what it's worth, that's supposed to changed by the end of the year. I really hope it does.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
So, apparently, there's gonna be a Tetris x Puyo Puyo crossover, for the Wii U, 3DS, PS3, and Vita, scheduled for 2014 for Japan:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/od3/archives/52037877.html

Yes, this thing apparently exists.

And I want it so much! :allears:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

A Police or Lost item report and a little time with customer service would get all of your downloaded software back as far as I know. You may have to send the replacement in, I don't know. You'd still have to pay for the replacement though.

It's a pain in the arse, and I hope it's changed by the end of the year as well, but it's better than nothing until then.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Folt The Bolt posted:

So, apparently, there's gonna be a Tetris x Puyo Puyo crossover, for the Wii U, 3DS, PS3, and Vita, scheduled for 2014 for Japan:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/od3/archives/52037877.html

Yes, this thing apparently exists.

And I want it so much! :allears:

If Nintendo doesn't localise this thing themselves it'll never come over.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If Nintendo doesn't localise this thing themselves it'll never come over.

Which is a loving shame. :smith:

Then again, Nintendo has been doing mostly good on the localization front so far, so perhaps I shouldn't make hasty conclusions.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Which is a loving shame. :smith:

Then again, Nintendo has been doing mostly good on the localization front so far, so perhaps I shouldn't make hasty conclusions.

They'll put it out in Europe, but not North America.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

DarkHamsterlord posted:

They'll put it out in Europe, but not North America.

Oh, then I'm in the clear.

Sucks for you Americans though.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Oh, then I'm in the clear.

Sucks for you Americans though.

Maybe we'll convince them to bring it over with Operation Blockfall.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I guess you could just import for PS3/Vita.

Still, it bugs me that Sega is pushing heavily in the digital direction but still hasn't worked out that porting Puyo (and Chu Chu Rocket!) to every platform available and releasing them everywhere is gonna make them a ton of cash.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Still, it bugs me that Sega is pushing heavily in the digital direction but still hasn't worked out that porting Puyo (and Chu Chu Rocket!) to every platform available and releasing them everywhere is gonna make them a ton of cash.

They ported Chu Chu Rocket to Android and iOS, that alone would bring in some bucks.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Maybe we'll convince them to bring it over with Operation Blockfall.

Now I want something like this to happen, just for the name. :allears:

Son of Isaac
Apr 22, 2008
Is the pro controller worth it? Or rather, will it be worth it when Mario Kart and Smash Bros. come out?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

EllisD posted:

I am rather disappointed that the Wind Waker copy I get with the package is the digital download only. What is with the 3DS and Wii U doing this? It kinda pisses me off. Maybe its because I'm not a parent of toddlers who drool all over discs and tear up cases, but if I'm paying for a game I want the loving thing in my hand. I'm just going to trick my brain into thinking I'm getting that part for free and buy the physical game anyway and keep it sealed. I'm going to pick up the new Pikmin, Luigi U, and Rayman as well. Come on September 20th can't you get here any sooner? :ohdear:

But...if you get the Wind Waker bundle you are getting Wind Waker for free? The Wind Waker bundle and the Deluxe are going to be priced exactly the same starting Sept 20th.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Son of Isaac posted:

Is the pro controller worth it? Or rather, will it be worth it when Mario Kart and Smash Bros. come out?

Just get Wii Classic Controllers (and remotes if you dont already have them).

Son of Isaac
Apr 22, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

Just get Wii Classic Controllers (and remotes if you dont already have them).

I was really tempted by a refurbished one at Best Buy for $29 - thanks.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Pro Controller is the nicest controller I've ever held, I actually really recommend it. A lot of big titles already use it and I expect most of the holiday lineup will as well.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yeah, if you can get one cheap, there's no reason not to grab it. I hadn't planned on getting one (have enough Wii Remotes+Classic Controllers to go around) but managed to pick one up for $25 and it's really nice.

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?

katkillad2 posted:

But...if you get the Wind Waker bundle you are getting Wind Waker for free? The Wind Waker bundle and the Deluxe are going to be priced exactly the same starting Sept 20th.

My bad, for some reason I thought it was $50 more.

So the classic controllers for the Wii will work just fine in a Wii U? If so that's awesome, I was going to sell mine. :toot:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wii Classic Controllers will only work with games that support them, ie not every game, but you'd imagine all the first-party games will still support them in the near-term.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Speaking of compatibility, is the Classic Controller Pro compatible with Wii virtual console games or would I have to actually buy a regular Classic Controller for that?

e: Oops, the answer is in the OP. Nevermind! :downs:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 11, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

EllisD posted:

My bad, for some reason I thought it was $50 more.

So the classic controllers for the Wii will work just fine in a Wii U? If so that's awesome, I was going to sell mine. :toot:

Games have to specifically be made to use them, but I dont know of a single game that supports one without supporting the other. The only functional difference between the Wii U Pro and Wii Classic is that the Pro as clicky sticks.

JordanKai posted:

Speaking of compatibility, is the Classic Controller Pro compatible with Wii virtual console games or would I have to actually buy a regular Classic Controller for that?

By Classic Controller Pro, do you mean Wii U Pro Controller? If yes, the no it will not work. Thanks for the names, Nintendo!

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?
Yeah I know they have to utilize the classic controller, but it is/was mandatory for playing SNES games off VC. Initially it was the only reason I bought one. I was glad to hear the rumors about localizing Japanese-only releases on VC became true but it hasn't happened for SNES games yet :( Hopefully that changes, so many amazing titles that were snubbed.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yeah, amongst the games I have, the only ones compatible with the Wii U Pro Controller but not a Classic Controller/Pro are Ninja Gaiden 3, Pikmin 3, and Splinter Cell Blacklist.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 11, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Box of Bunnies posted:

Yeah, amongst the games I have, the only ones compatible with the Wii U Pro Controller but not a Classic Controller/Pro are Ninja Gaiden 3, Pikmin 3, and Splinter Cell Blacklist.

Wow, thats a lot more games than I thought actually. The point seems pretty moot with Ninja Gaiden and Splinter Cell though, since theres no benefit to not using the pad. In Pikmin's multiplayer anyone who isnt insane would just be using the remote and nunchuck, but it's really baffling why Nintendo wouldnt have the option for Wii Classic in addition to Pro.

Edit: Oh NSMBU doesnt support Wii Classic but supports Pro. Of course if you are worried about using a Wii Classic, you could just as easily use the controller it's plugged into.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 11, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Multiple controller support is one of the first things to get ditched when they're in a hurry to get a game through lotcheck, I think.

Miyamoto's been hinting at some sort of update for Pikmin 3 in the future, so I'd like to think they might add Classic support then.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I really hope Nintendo fixes their controller bloat problem next gen. It might not be possible to reduce everything they want to do down to a single controller type, but I'd say there should be no more than two types. None of this attachment business, either.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EllisD posted:

Yeah but I heard if your system gets stolen or is otherwise permanently damaged that you lose every game you've purchased on it, correct? That only gives thieves a bigger incentive to jack systems, because they're no longer seeing it as the value of the system alone, but that + hundreds of dollars of potential games. It actually makes me nervous to take my 3DS on a train and it's the reason I bought it. :\

It's not their policy to automatically replace them or anything, but Nintendo customer service is incredibly awesome and magical and if they have a way to do it they usually do so. I don't know about stolen systems, but for broken ones they can almost certainly transfer stuff to a replacement system even if you're out of warranty. I had one of the early Wiis brick on me and I think I had a replacement from them within a week.

Disclaimer: this is in no way a guarantee, if it were they'd have this replacement as a matter of official policy. If your poo poo does get broken and they say tough luck don't come crying to me. I would be surprised though, because as I said Nintendo CustServ is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Gutcruncher posted:

Edit: Oh NSMBU doesnt support Wii Classic but supports Pro. Of course if you are worried about using a Wii Classic, you could just as easily use the controller it's plugged into.

Oh yeah, this one slipped my mind 'cause I was just checking the compatibility listings on the backs of boxes which doesn't help in NSBU's case since Wii U Pro Controller support was added in the patch that prepped the game for New Super Luigi U.

The thinking in not adding Classic Controller alongside it was probably pretty much exactly what you've said. Not really necessary when you can just use Wii Remotes.

• Locked thread