Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

bow chicka wow wow posted:

Might buy Platinum tomorrow just so I can find all the Sunning posts scattered across Games. If you don't get paid at least a little bit to write about the industry you probably should.

Yeah, that was a pretty great write-up. It's helping me keep my stupidly high expectations for XV in check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

What I've heard with regards to Nomura is that he's extremely unfocused. I'd heard the CG thing you mentioned before and there are a lot of stories about how he is extremely fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants with almost all aspects of development. It isn't really a good thing though because it isn't flexible fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants but just a general lack of focus. Some of the supposedly leaks with regards to FFXIIvs basically hinted that they were basically making things up as they went along.

There's a strong artistic capriciousness about him, I've found. What else is there really to say about a man who, after watching Tom Hooper's Les Miserables adaptation, "charged into the Square offices the next morning intent on transforming FFXV into a musical of Les Miserables’s caliber," only to have the SE brass practically scream "gently caress NO YOU'RE NOT!" at him in reply.

The man wanted to turn Final Fantasy XV into a musical. After it had already been in development for seven years at that point. There's unfocused, and then there's just flat-out insane.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

nine-gear crow posted:

What else is there really to say about a man who, after watching Tom Hooper's Les Miserables adaptation, "charged into the Square offices the next morning intent on transforming FFXV into a musical of Les Miserables’s caliber,"

Oh man I hadn't heard this before. That would've been magical :allears:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I was at least hoping the protracted FFXIII development had given them the chance to get all their ducks in a row, but I guess not.

Nomura seems like a fun guy to meet but a terrible guy to work for.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

nine-gear crow posted:

There's a strong artistic capriciousness about him, I've found. What else is there really to say about a man who, after watching Tom Hooper's Les Miserables adaptation, "charged into the Square offices the next morning intent on transforming FFXV into a musical of Les Miserables’s caliber," only to have the SE brass practically scream "gently caress NO YOU'RE NOT!" at him in reply.

The man wanted to turn Final Fantasy XV into a musical. After it had already been in development for seven years at that point. There's unfocused, and then there's just flat-out insane.

That might be my favourite story about Nomura. I really just want to know what was going through his head at the time. Was he seriously thinking that, at that stage, he could turn the next mainline FF into a piece of playable musical theatre? Or was he just trolling the upper management for giggles?

Either way, a mainline FF musical sounds kind of brilliant.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Box of Bunnies posted:

Oh man I hadn't heard this before. That would've been magical :allears:

Seriously, it's pretty much the only way they could get me to buy FF15.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

nine-gear crow posted:

If he had actually done this, it would have been worth it, regardless of whether the final product turned out to be a genuinely good game.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Did people actually hope the story of FFXV was going to be good?

I think the best you can wish for is that they get a writer who can do something about the dialogue because holy poo poo is it boring in both KH and FFXIII. Whether the actual story is good or not isn't even relevant if the characters speaking is going to make you snooze like that. It looks like more of the same in trailers though, so actually no you can't really hope for that either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BioMe posted:

Oh gently caress no. For the longest time the only thing that really interested me about XV was the setting and style of the game. Back when it was still Versus XIII, it had this intriguing "modern metropolitan setting... with a twist" vibe to it. It looked like a cool dark urban fantasy and a welcome reprieve from the blooty-hoo crazy neon-soaked nightmarescapes of XIII. But then over time as more and more was revealed about it just got progressively more... Nomura.

I'm interested in it now only because its like watching a developmental train wreck. I imagine this was sort of like watching Duke Nukem Forever's deathspiral was like 10 years ago for FPS fans.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

BioMe posted:

I think people hoped that it would be coherent, given the protracted development. This now seems less likely.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

nine-gear crow posted:

Nomura needs to be in charge of more small projects.

Having these mad ideas come over you in a rush of inspiration is a good thing, but these gargantuan, bloated game projects are just about the worst kind of place for them.

From the article:

quote:

His biggest cinematic inspiration is Baz Lurhman

This explains so drat much. :mmmhmm:

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Peel posted:

I think people hoped that it would be coherent, given the protracted development. This now seems less likely.

Yeaah, that's not really how it works with Nomura. KH2 was in development for like, what, 5 years and the script was clearly unfinished.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Mazed posted:

This explains so drat much. :mmmhmm:

Goddamnit Nomura Baz's hollow flash style works for the story, not the other way around!

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Quick FF4 question.

I'm playing the DS version as my first time and I'm at the Tower of Babel. I haven't given out any augments yo people as the party changes every 5 minutes. Which I like, but not when giving out augments. Should I be using them more.

And as someone who never had any overwhelming issue with any bosses from the PS and PS2 era, I refuse to believe lugea is beatable without using two elixirs, and I'm annoyed he seems only beatable if you're a hoarder like mW who never let's them out of my sight.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Hey guys, great news! FF Type-0 Agito is finally getting a release!!

... The bad news is that it's actually some sort of f2p social mobile game.

Keep the dream alive, SE.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fat Turkey posted:

Quick FF4 question.

I'm playing the DS version as my first time and I'm at the Tower of Babel. I haven't given out any augments yo people as the party changes every 5 minutes. Which I like, but not when giving out augments. Should I be using them more.

And as someone who never had any overwhelming issue with any bosses from the PS and PS2 era, I refuse to believe lugea is beatable without using two elixirs, and I'm annoyed he seems only beatable if you're a hoarder like mW who never let's them out of my sight.

You've missed out on probably the best stuff so far, but you can still get a rocking Augment if you give Fusoya at least two or three.

Lugae is beatable, you just have to pray in the direction of the RNG just a little bit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Wait, why did anyone stop him? Les Miserables: The RPG would have been absolutely incredible. I mean I'm sure you could Final Fantasy up the story but imagine how many people you'd get posting that they cried when Fantine died and if there is any secret way to resurrect her because she appears in the ending.

Yes I know Les Miserables: The Fighting exists and the fact that its amusing and fun as a rough concept only proves my point.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Barudak posted:

Wait, why did anyone stop him? Les Miserables: The RPG would have been absolutely incredible.

Are you insane? Have you never played KHII?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The game he's talking about, by the way, is called Arm Joe. It also has a cyborg Valjean. I seriously hope every character in that game appears in Saltybets with amazing AI.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Barudak posted:

Wait, why did anyone stop him? Les Miserables: The RPG would have been absolutely incredible. I mean I'm sure you could Final Fantasy up the story but imagine how many people you'd get posting that they cried when Fantine died and if there is any secret way to resurrect her because she appears in the ending.

Yes I know Les Miserables: The Fighting exists and the fact that its amusing and fun as a rough concept only proves my point.

Because the game was already seven years in development.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Nomura should quit Square after XV and just kickstart Musical: The JRPG. I would throw money at that, just for the shear insanity that would be guaranteed. And it seems like it would be exactly kind of thing that would never be greenlit through the traditional publisher model.

It would probably be an absolute disaster, but that would probably be as fun as getting a good game out of it at the end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Because the game was already seven years in development.

No, no. What they should have done is said "Yes, thats a great idea" then immediately put him on that project (with the budget and team size for say, 3ds/XBLA/PSN) and moved FFXV to someone competent aka Yoshida/Yoshida's doppleganger from another dimension.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

Nomura should quit Square after XV and just kickstart Musical: The JRPG. I would throw money at that, just for the shear insanity that would be guaranteed. And it seems like it would be exactly kind of thing that would never be greenlit through the traditional publisher model.

It would probably be an absolute disaster, but that would probably be as fun as getting a good game out of it at the end.

It would likely just be a 10 hour version of the Opera House scene from VI

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Eh, a JRPG musical has already been done: Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. It wouldn't have even been original.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Great Lakes Log posted:

It would likely just be a 10 hour version of the Opera House scene from VI

As long as that means more octopi pushing weights off lighting fixtures at key moments, I'm fine with that.

Schwartzcough posted:

Eh, a JRPG musical has already been done: Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. It wouldn't have even been original.

...I am going to have to track that down. I just have to know.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 11, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Considering how much music is a factor in enjoying older JRPGs, a musical isn't the most far-fetched idea I've ever heard. Nowadays this is a ridiculous idea because the only thing of any quality in animated musicals happened in the 90s.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'm up for a 60-hour Backstreet Boys music video.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

The musical contained therein is pretty bad. I want to know going into the Javert boss-fight that I'm gonna need some strong support healing because 24601 deals a ton of damage to Jean Valjean and you really need him in the fight because Javert is weak against the Bishop summon.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

XV is starring a boy band already, his bosses just didn't want it to be too unfocused.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I haven't played X-2 (sadly) but weren't the main cast pop stars? Does that not factor into the game at all?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Or I can spare you and just tell you that game is terrible.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

You could just check out the Let's Play. Maybe the musical links still work, even.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Phantasium posted:

Or I can spare you and just tell you that game is terrible.

Yeah, the reviews on wikipedia of it aren't exactly good... I'll just take a look at it on YouTube.

Edit: ^ Even better. Cheers.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

They should use their Disney connections to get the people who wrote the songs for Aladdin.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

They should use their Disney connections to get the people who wrote the songs for Aladdin.

I don't know what a culturually insensitive stereotype for people in a fantasy world is but I want to find out.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Bangaa walk like this, while Moogles walk like THIS.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Fat Turkey posted:

Quick FF4 question.

Yeah, by that point you've already missed out on several of the best ones, unfortunately (though if you still have Yang GIVE HIM TWO lovely AUGMENTS DO IT NOW (seriously, do it)). The way it works is that you give one to an ally and when they bail they give you one in return (or they're available in certain locations later on). If you give them two, then they give you three. The 'goal' is to give all the lovely ones to people who will be leaving (or one to Porom, two to Palom to get two apiece from them) and then you can keep the very best ones for Cecil and the end-game crew (I'm not sure if you already know who that is or not).

My general recommendation is to follow this guide even though it can be vaguely spoilery (about characters who join or leave your party): http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/939425-final-fantasy-iv/44570205

Also, yeah, Lugaborg is a huge dick, but I'm usually thorough enough in exploring maps and grabbing poo poo that I'm leveled enough that his Reverse nonsense isn't the end of the world. I don't think I've ever used an Elixir on him, but I'm a hoarder so I might do that in any future playthroughs.

Great Lakes Log posted:

I haven't played X-2 (sadly) but weren't the main cast pop stars? Does that not factor into the game at all?

They weren't actually pop-stars, the musical sequence at the start was another character disguised as Yuna (this is only a spoiler for like the first five minutes of the game) by using her dancer dressphere. She's still popular because of the whole 'ending a centuries old cycle of perpetually rampaging hellbeast', but the whole popstar thing tends to be taken out of context.

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 11, 2013

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

WeaponBoy posted:

They weren't actually pop-stars, the musical sequence at the start was another character disguised as Yuna (this is only a spoiler for like the first five minutes of the game) by using her dancer dressphere. She's still popular because of the whole 'ending a centuries old cycle of perpetually rampaging hellbeast', but the whole popstar thing tends to be taken out of context.

But she then goes on to save the world with a Pop concert, so....

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

"I steal only what I can't afford, One jump ahead of the judges, That's all, and that's no joke; These guys don't appreciate I'm broke! I can take a hint, gotta face the facts; you're my only friend, Penelo!"

"..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Schwartzcough posted:

But she then goes on to save the world with a Pop concert, so....

The only thing that bothers me about that scene is how it stops raining for a while on the Thunder Plains. I mean the game is a walking cliche but for some reason that was just over-the-top nobody-ever-talks-about-it-again for me.