Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Meowbot posted:

I watch this movie every chance that a person tells me that they haven't seen it. I think it is one of the best action movies of the past 20 years. It is just that good. The thing is I like Dredd as a character but I don't like the black and white comics. Is there any good color comic series with Dredd? I've been seeing most of them are black and white unless I'm just bad at finding this information.

Thanks for any help

The more recent comics are in colour. You could try grabbing a Judge Dredd megazine or the recent IDW Dredd collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Meowbot posted:

I watch this movie every chance that a person tells me that they haven't seen it. I think it is one of the best action movies of the past 20 years. It is just that good. The thing is I like Dredd as a character but I don't like the black and white comics. Is there any good color comic series with Dredd? I've been seeing most of them are black and white unless I'm just bad at finding this information.

Thanks for any help

All the Case Files from volume 12 are in full colour. However, you're not going to get anything out of them that you wouldn't get from the black and white volumes.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

When Anderson attempts to read Dredd's mind and encounters, beneath everything, an unspeakable void - this is the capricious abyss beneath the 'rational' order, where the whole Law is founded on the mad declaration 'it is because I said so!' Hence, "I am the Law!"

How do you know she didn't see cuddly kittens or the true meaning of Christmas or anything else beneath everything?

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Deep inside Dredd is just a big cuddle-moster! :3:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Eastbound Spider posted:

Deep inside Dredd is just a big cuddle-moster! :3:

I am the Love.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
And the love is law.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I think this newspaper article validates my point.

quote:

Garland’s screenplay ignores the satirical elements of the character, which you could argue is a betrayal of the film’s source material. “We played it straight,” he said in an interview at this year’s Toronto International Film Festival. He said he wrote the movie as he understood Judge Dredd when he was a 10-year-old boy enthralled by the character and blind to the satire underpinning him.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

quote:

Instead, we get a nasty and brutish cop whose eye for justice never veers from his gun’s sight and wants us to revel in his blood-splattering enforcement of the law.

It was always easy to see why readers laughed at Judge Dredd. The more uncomfortable alternative might just be cheering him on.

Judge Dredd might be played straight in this film, but that does not mean that the film is without satire. The Judicial system, Anderson, Peach Trees and the Ma-Ma Clan is all overt commentary. I take it to mean that you don't see Judge Dredd do things like arrest Santa as mentioned in the article, and rather he is simply the face of Mega-City One 'justice'. By playing him straight and reining in the more humourous actions and overt mockery, you create the situation quoted above wherein the audience themselves are challenged by their reaction to Judge Dredd.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Baron Bifford posted:

You're very impressively ignoring the tone of the remainder of the article. I mean the very next loving line reads

quote:

But in its refusal to soften the character, the movie also offers the most unrelenting portrait of the politics underlying comic-book heroes – politics that audiences rarely stop to think about amid all the explosions.

Starts with a "but", that's a clue. Is this paragraph saying that the politics that audiences rarely stop to think about are left out of Dredd? That the movie is unaware of them? Of course it isn't. The article is well aware that playing a depiction like this straight is the most effective satire there is. For instance, a few lines further down:

quote:

It was always easy to see why readers laughed at Judge Dredd. The more uncomfortable alternative might just be cheering him on.
The keyword here being uncomfortable. The presentation of Dredd in this movie is uncomfortable for the viewer.

To be completely fair, I've sort of lost track of what your point was, so maybe the article does validate it.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Shanty posted:

To be completely fair, I've sort of wlost track of what your point was, so maybe the article does validate it.

What I don't get is that he started by saying he didn't like how the film missed the obvious satire, then refuses to accept any suggestions that any part of the film is satire because it's not realistic.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Daduzi posted:

What I don't get is that he started by saying he didn't like how the film missed the obvious satire, then refuses to accept any suggestions that any part of the film is satire because it's not realistic.
I do not understand your interpretation of my stance.

On a side note, I am uncomfortable with using the word "fascism" here, as it is one of the most overused and misused words in the language.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 10, 2013

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Satire, to me, does involve some level of humor- just negatively commenting on something isn't satirical. Dredd is a relatively serious portrayal of a hosed-up society.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Maxwell Lord posted:

Satire, to me, does involve some level of humor- just negatively commenting on something isn't satirical. Dredd is a relatively serious portrayal of a hosed-up society.

Well it's a matter of definition, then. Dredd is critical of the trends it depicts, but doesn't hyuk it up about them. I feel like the only reason satire has an element of humour is to make it a palatable criticism. If you just straight up show people a problematic scenario, they might lose interest. If you make it funny, you keep their attention.
In Dredd, it's like humour is replaced with spectacle. Highlighting that we're following trends in law enforcement that end up in a nightmarish scenario, but rather than going "ha ha and the robot has a speech impediment" to keep it from being 90 minutes of lecturing, they use exciting action sequences.

e: vvv This, too. It's not "haw haw" funny, but it does stimulate you in similar ways. vvv

Shanty fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 10, 2013

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think you just don't really enjoy dark humor, because its all over Dredd. The corpse zamboni, the homeless guy getting squashed, Dredd chucking that guy off the balcony to send a message, Dredd running out of ammo and using an explosive round to vaporize a guys head. The list goes on and on, this stuff is played straight for the most part, but thats the point. Thats why its darkly humorous, you chuckle to yourself because its ridiculous but its also really hosed up. Hence, satire.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

I do not understand your interpretation of my stance.

On a side note, I am uncomfortable with using the word "fascism" here, as it is one of the most overused and misused words in the language.

Mega-City One otherises segments of the population (most notably mutants); makes mythology of its past and co-opted elements from the past of other nations (the blocks named after celebrities); has draconian laws enforced by a military caste of superior individuals, the best of whom trace direct lineage to the caste's revered founder; suppresses free speech and pays only lip service to democracy. If it ain't fascism, it's close enough for me.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
There are... hints of satire here and there but nothing substantial. There is a backdrop of dystopia, but the dystopia is never examined, it is merely an excuse for crazy action sequences. We shown a lawman who has the power to judge and sentence people on the spot, but the implications of this are not explored.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Baron Bifford posted:

There are... hints of satire here and there but nothing substantial. There is a backdrop of dystopia, but the dystopia is never examined, it is merely an excuse for crazy action sequences. We shown a lawman who has the power to judge and sentence people on the spot, but the implications of this are not explored.

Nothing substantial?! This is a depiction of a future in which the police are given the right to perform on the spot executions. The core concept is satirical. Add to that the "enhanced interrogation" and drone surveillance themes and jesus christ, Biff.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shanty posted:

Nothing substantial?! This is a depiction of a future in which the police are given the right to perform on the spot executions. The core concept is satirical. Add to that the "enhanced interrogation" and drone surveillance themes and jesus christ, Biff.

No man, the core concept is just a backdrop. Its just a backdrop and its never examined or explored at all, nope. Just an "excuse for crazy action sequences".

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
The thing that is never explored is Judge loving Dredd. I mean they specifically wrote a scene where they have a psychic probe him and then basically wink at you and go, "Haha just kidding that doesn't matter, here's some more exposition about the world in which we live and our hosed up orphanages which are farms for our police force."

I can't think of a more blatant tell since Looper's Bruce Willis bangs on the table and screams "It doesn't matter!" when being asked how time travel works.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Marketing New Brain posted:

The thing that is never explored is Judge loving Dredd. I mean they specifically wrote a scene where they have a psychic probe him and then basically wink at you and go, "Haha just kidding that doesn't matter, here's some more exposition about the world in which we live and our hosed up orphanages which are farms for our police force."

I can't think of a more blatant tell since Looper's Bruce Willis bangs on the table and screams "It doesn't matter!" when being asked how time travel works.

Dredd is a faceless embodiment of the Law. You don't need to know more about him, and it would detract from his character if you did. You have to establish the armour before you can show the cracks.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Baron Bifford posted:

It's explored in that there are mountains of corpses after he went on a routine mission, and the most telling sign of satire is that you're championing his actions as justified in a weird circular way because he has the Right to do so.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I just caught this on Netflix the other day and was pleasantly surprised, I think I'll watch it again real soon. I thought I read that the budget wasn't very big (maybe just compared to big summer blockbusters anyways), but it didn't show to me. I thought the effects were great.

I wonder how many people the judges execute on a weekly basis. I mean, they did away with all those pesky time consuming juror trials right? And they're still not keeping up with crime?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The low budget didn't show for me at either. You can tell they threw a lot of money at the sound production. Not just the soundtrack but the actual sound effects, all the ambient stuff going on, it's really incredible and probably one of the best sounding movies I've heard in recent times. Even in really basic stuff like "the camera is in one place as Dredd walks down a hallway and nothing happens" you can hear every little creak of his uniform, people slinking around off camera, it really sells the setting. They were also smart to use mostly practical effects for the violence with the CG just aiding with blood splatters and the more ultra-violent moments like Anderson blowing that dude's head off towards the end.

They also did a great job of putting a cowardly piss yellow tinged color (via props, piping in the background, etc.) into every moment where Dredd is being "badass." Even the Halls of Justice or whatever has that giant yellow eagle on it. It's genuinely impressive to me how visually and aurally textured and focused the movie is compared to most sci-fi stuff that comes out now. It's pretty good on Netflix but if you have a blu-ray player or ever get a home theater set up I feel like this is the new Blade Runner in that this is what you get to show people how much money you blew on speakers and a big screen.

Marketing New Brain posted:

I loved reading complaints about this. It's on par with how over everyone's heads it went in Prometheus which features an all knowing flawless android that is immediately and explicitly able to read and comprehend everything that is going on, but contrary to all other science-fiction that exists none of the characters ask him what's up so he doesn't explain anything to them or the audience. I'm sure some viewers were expecting Anderson to tell Dredd his life story at some point or something.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 11, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just watched the new Star Trek and was weirdly fixated on Karl Urban's mouth the entire time. Probably the most entertaining part of that movie were the scenes where he reminded me of Dredd and made me think about how I should watch Dredd again.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

NESguerilla posted:

Just watched the new Star Trek and was weirdly fixated on Karl Urban's mouth the entire time. Probably the most entertaining part of that movie were the scenes where he reminded me of Dredd and made me think about how I should watch Dredd again.

This was completely the case for me as well.

Plus, as I was flicking through Netflix the other day I noticed that Urban was in Doom which I had completely forgotten, and almost watched it on that strength alone. When I saw Doom at the cinema I thought it was just decent, but since then my appreciation for both Urban and The Rock has exploded, largely because of their involvement in cool films like Dredd.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Doom is great great great.

So any reason to go see it, really. If The Rock wasn't enough.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Doom is an awful movie what are you people talking about :psyduck:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am confused. What did The Rock have to do with Dredd and when did he become awesome?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Wait, we're talking about that movie where people become monsters or angels or something based on the inner blueprint of their soul, right?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Wait, we're talking about that movie where people become monsters or angels or something based on the inner blueprint of their soul, right?

No we're talking about the movie where aliens with an extra chromosome have technology that mutates people if they have a good gene or an evil gene and other pseudo-science crap because the studio thought putting demons in a movie based on a game where all you do is fight demons would be a bad idea.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

TheJoker138 posted:

No we're talking about the movie where aliens with an extra chromosome have technology that mutates people if they have a good gene or an evil gene and other pseudo-science crap because the studio thought putting demons in a movie based on a game where all you do is fight demons would be a bad idea.

Ahaha, yeah.

That movie rules.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

TheJoker138 posted:

...with a first person shooter sequence, starring Karl Urban opposite The Rock. Yeah. That movie.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

Thats what makes the satire great, the fact that the screenwriter approached it "as if he was a ten year old boy".

The screenwriter is not actually a ten year old boy.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Shanty posted:

...with a first person shooter sequence, starring Karl Urban opposite The Rock. Yeah. That movie.

The Rock was hilarious in it, though.

"I'm not supposed to die like this!"

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Wade Wilson posted:

The Rock was hilarious in it, though.

"I'm not supposed to die like this!"

Oh, I meant that as a positive. "gently caress yeah, that movie!"

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Here's another article that illuminates Garland's intentions. It suggests that he deliberately wrote Dredd as a straight, non-humorous movie because that interpretation had the most meaning for him. He first got into Dredd when he was 10 years old, too young to understand the satire.

quote:

Of course, but, I mean, it’s subjective, right? It’s proper for me because like I said before, for me I started when I was ten so all of the satire that does exist in Dredd went straight over my head, and I just never picked up on any of that stuff. I got caught up in all of the adrenaline of the stories. Other people come to me and ask, “But where’s all the comedy? Where’s all the satire?” and that’s because they might have encountered Dredd when they were slightly older and they saw all sorts of things that I didn’t see initially. The stuff that I fell in love with was different.

There's this other interview and this one too where he says the satire in Dredd is at best implicit.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 11, 2013

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Death of the Author, bro, plus film-making's a collaborative effort anyway. Nice try, though.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

But the film is filled with satire and a lot of dark humor. I don't know if it was done unintentionally or not but it doesn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

Here's another article that illuminates Garland's intentions. It suggests that he deliberately wrote Dredd as a straight, non-humorous movie because that interpretation had the most meaning for him. He first got into Dredd when he was 10 years old, too young to understand the satire.

There's this other interview and this one too where he says the satire in Dredd is at best implicit.

I think you're yet again not understanding how satire works and are also misinterpreting what Garland is saying in these interviews. For the satire in Dredd to work it HAS to be played straight, thats the point. Garland is fully aware of the satirical nature of the original comics, but he is saying that in order to recreate that feel he had to think like a 10-year old who thought Dredd was the biggest baddass. Theres a dichotomy there that is important, and I can see why he would want to go at it from that perspective. But he absolutely was aware of the original tone of the comics and was shooting for exactly that, he just knows that the way to do it isn't obvious, laugh out loud jokes.

• Locked thread