Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Wha. Is he crying through his glasses? Ay Chihuahua :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Feranon posted:

I think that's supposed to be a badass eyescar.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Feranon posted:

I'm particularly fond of the sword blade with no apparent width just kind of jammed awkwardly into his fist there, Liefeld style.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Gawd, turns out all Serkets are kinda dumb after all.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Tunicate posted:

I think that's supposed to be a badass eyescar.

But it goes over the frame of the glasses...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bell_ posted:

Gawd, turns out all Serkets are kinda dumb after all.

Odds on jade stealing the ring via teleport?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Huh, I kind of thought that Prospit and Derse were smaller than the Lands. Not sure why.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Tollymain posted:

Huh, I kind of thought that Prospit and Derse were smaller than the Lands. Not sure why.

Because Prospit crashed into Skaia. And I'm pretty sure the scale on all wide shots of the incipisphere had Prospit and Derse smaller than the Lands.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its an optical illusion, like how the moon and sun are the same size when viewed from earth! :v:

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I think it's just weird perspective. It looked like the Jakesphere was digging into Derse while it's still pretty tiny compared to the Land (LoWaS?)

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

Tollymain posted:

It makes sense that they'd be big places considering all that must go on there. Training soldiers, manufacturing weapons and huge battleships, plus all the pencil pushing and authority regulating that a massive war requires.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

kvx687 posted:

I think it's just weird perspective. It looked like the Jakesphere was digging into Derse while it's still pretty tiny compared to the Land (LoWaS?)

That's LoFaF.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tollymain posted:

They're being rendered symbolically, so...

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

CuddlyZombie posted:

That's LoFaF.

That looks right. But if Jade is so clever, why is she about to cause the Forge (which HIC presumably needs to generate a new universe so she can ollie outty) to be hopesploded?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

She thinks she can appeal to Jake's moral sensibility to get him to stop.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Haha I remember this, it's basically Spike Spiegel mixed with Sephiroth.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Seoinin posted:

More like Doctor Who-Invited-This-rear end in a top hat

loving amazing.

That picture is also amazing, but in a much less positive way.

quote:

JADE: dont you remember when we used to be pen pals jake?
When was this ever talked about? Or did it happen behind the scenes?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

loving amazing.

That picture is also amazing, but in a much less positive way.

Remember when Jade sent a bunny to John back at the end of Act Four? She said she built it with the help of her pen pal. It was a big speculative thing for like two years.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Remember this? This was Jake.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

YggiDee posted:

Remember when Jade sent a bunny to John back at the end of Act Four? She said she built it with the help of her pen pal. It was a big speculative thing for like two years.

That's the only reference? Talk about digging deep for a callback.

But you could mine a well as deep as Homestuck forever, to mix my metaphors.

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...
The next mouth closeup needs to be Dave talking into an incredibly plush rump.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

From what I understand, he was planning the whole Jake thing ever since Act 4. It's not really digging deep for a callback if it was planned all along.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Karkat will become the most important character in Homestuck by virtue of his ability to be so angry everything around him gets drawn like poo poo.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Dave, what are you doing?!

Just, why?

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

But you could mine a well as deep as Homestuck forever, to mix my metaphors.

...Not quite the only reference.

Also speaker-rear end.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Thanks for the extra info. I'm rereading Homestuck right now, and I guess the part where John reads the message from Jake stuck in my brain, so Jade's mention of Jake as her pen-pal really grabbed my attention for some reason.

V

Feranon posted:

I imagine Dave and Karkat's relationship often approaches Lalonde levels of passive-aggressive oneupmanship.

Dave will win because he possesses an iron(ic) will.

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 11, 2013

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

Cthulhuchan posted:

Just, why?

Why not? :getin:

Presumably, Dave's frustration with being put on speaker-crab lead him to alchemize a device that allowed him to put Karkat on speaker-rump. I imagine Dave and Karkat's relationship often approaches Lalonde levels of passive-aggressive oneupmanship.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I like that Karkat's Scribblemode penchant overrides the needlessly detailed mouth-shot.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Feels like it's been forever since I've chuckled over a good Karkat rant. I hope Hussie delivers here. Plus, it'll prolong Jakes ridiculous powerup sequence and if a gag's worth running, it's worth running into the ground.

Oh gods, what if this isn't a powerup sequence? What if this just is Jake at full power, all glowy and hope-fieldy and yelling out giant green old time exclamations? Like, that's all he has at this level. Nah, that'd be dumb.

Dave's alchemized himself a smuppet arse wristphone? I would've thought he'd be glad if he never had to gaze at impudently jutting foam again in his life.

Seoinin posted:

More like Doctor Who-Invited-This-rear end in a top hat

Succinct and witty. Kudos!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I wonder if there will be any significance to the Jake-sun appearing by the rainbow drinker?

Cthulhuchan posted:

Just, why?

Dave knows Karkat is only effective when he's angry enough to override his insecurities. By forcing Karkat to shout, he's invoking a pavlovian response that will get Karkat motivated.

Either that, or he just enjoys hearing Karkat talk out of his rear end. :v:

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

The Most Anime Lord English, wasn't that done by or was at least inspired by the guy who had the Mary Sue rival to him in the Felt fan adventure? Professor something or other.

Tollymain posted:

frozentreasure posted:

Because Prospit crashed into Skaia. And I'm pretty sure the scale on all wide shots of the incipisphere had Prospit and Derse smaller than the Lands.

Prospit didn't crash into Skaia, but Prospit's moon crashed into the battlefield.

Dorroile posted:

Seeing as regular Jane was basically not interesting or engaging in any way, that's not really wrong, i think.

Jane was always pretty much a wealth of great reaction faces, though.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Midnight Raider posted:

The Most Anime Lord English, wasn't that done by or was at least inspired by the guy who had the Mary Sue rival to him in the Felt fan adventure? Professor something or other.

Professor Mayonaka, leader of the detestable yakuza group the Midnight Crew. His no doubt superpowered pendant shows up twice in the comic.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Thanks for the extra info. I'm rereading Homestuck right now, and I guess the part where John reads the message from Jake stuck in my brain, so Jade's mention of Jake as her pen-pal really grabbed my attention for some reason.

Keep in mind that it wasn't just a small reference, it was actually a huge plot point for a long while.

Althought in Homestuck the difference between small references and huge plot points is admittedly very blurry and interchangeable.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This update was basically :jp::phoneb::phone::yosbutt:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

DAVE: sound doesnt travel through foam too well is seriously one of the best punchlines that Hussie has ever written, holy gently caress.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

CuddlyZombie posted:

That's LoFaF.

Bear in mind this is all happening at the behest of a being who literally shrunk down planets enough to juggle them like it was nothing. At this point size really doesn't matter at all.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Wyld Karde posted:

Oh gods, what if this isn't a powerup sequence? What if this just is Jake at full power, all glowy and hope-fieldy and yelling out giant green old time exclamations? Like, that's all he has at this level. Nah, that'd be dumb.

Super Saiyan Jake: fondly bellow at creation.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Well, this was convenient for Roxy. Now she can deliver the Matriorb directly to Kanaya without a bunch of pointless "but what do I DOOOOO WITH IT" shenanigans.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Well, this was convenient for Roxy. Now she can deliver the Matriorb directly to Kanaya without a bunch of pointless "but what do I DOOOOO WITH IT" shenanigans.

No she can't. She was still on Derse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffalina
Jul 10, 2002

CuteSweetHotSexy AngelBitchPunkSlut
I love how every time Jake yells in green, Jane replies with an expression that's almost as corny and old-fashioned.