Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Had the worst of fishing luck today, 4 hours with nothing. All i got was perches too small to record/eat.

But it wasn't all pointless, it was tranquil to stand on a rock in the middle of a forest and a great view of the great unspoiled lake. And i saw some interesting wildlife. A pair of ospreys flew by pretty close, and i saw a white-tailed eagle flying majestically 10 meters above me. They're huge (Europes largest raptor) and he/she flew with such grace, stable and slow wing strokes.

And perches, man, they are in a way pretty voracious. Pikes have the reputation of being voracious and basically going for anything, but perches are the fish that as far as i've experienced, go for the biggest bait relative to their body size. They jump on spoon lures more than half their size. You've got to admire that kind of boldness.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocMcgillicuddy
Jul 24, 2005

Stop! You need a new routine you've been on this one for almost a month man.

Armed Neutrality posted:

Don't mind us, we're just talking about real, skill based fishing. :smug:

Y'all aint seen skill till you seen me walk the dog with my top water frogs :colbert:

Went to a recently discovered SECRET SPOT today with a buddy. Unfortunately the 4 weight still hasn't arrived but we had a crazy fun day with fish doing backflips to take flies out of the air. I also learned the most valuable tool in your fly vest/chest pack/sling pack/lanyard/hat like that guy on M*A*S*H* wore is a drat sharpie or 2. First time sight fishing so while we were doing okay, we also saw a lot of refusals. Once we started colouring flies black we couldn't cast without pulling out a rainbow or a whitefish.

Gotta hit up another small creek next weekend to break in the Torrent :)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Can anyone recommend a decent, low-cost fly fishing setup for a beginner? I'd like to try it but don't want to drop a ton of money right off. I have a Walmart, Big 5, and Dick's nearby, or could go with amazon. I'd probably be doing primarily shore fishing on lakes and maybe some streams.

Edit: I saw a 5/6 weight Scientific Anglers kit at Dicks, according to their website it's $110. Also a Quarrow kit with bag (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11440117&cp=4406646.4413993.4414792.4414801) that may be my best option...

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 1, 2013

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I just recently got into fishing and I got a full outfit for about 30 dollars. I found a rod/reel combo at Walmart for $14.99, a little plastic tacklebox case for $3, and some hooks, floaters, some organic-biodegradeable worms, and 2 spinning lures for the rest.

I've caught about 30 fish in two weeks. Excellent fun for less than the cost for two people to eat at Golden Corral.

DocMcgillicuddy
Jul 24, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent, low-cost fly fishing setup for a beginner? I'd like to try it but don't want to drop a ton of money right off. I have a Walmart, Big 5, and Dick's nearby, or could go with amazon. I'd probably be doing primarily shore fishing on lakes and maybe some streams.

Edit: I saw a 5/6 weight Scientific Anglers kit at Dicks, according to their website it's $110. Also a Quarrow kit with bag (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11440117&cp=4406646.4413993.4414792.4414801) that may be my best option...

What are you primarily going to be fishing for?

And since you're primarily going to be on a lake I'd make one recommendation and that's to buy a reel that comes with spare spools so you can have both floating and sinking line. Sinking is a lot nicer on lakes when there's no rising fish.

SERPUS posted:

I just recently got into fishing and I got a full outfit for about 30 dollars. I found a rod/reel combo at Walmart for $14.99, a little plastic tacklebox case for $3, and some hooks, floaters, some organic-biodegradeable worms, and 2 spinning lures for the rest.

I've caught about 30 fish in two weeks. Excellent fun for less than the cost for two people to eat at Golden Corral.

That's rad as hell. I love how low cost startup in fishing is. What kind of fish do you go after?

DocMcgillicuddy fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 2, 2013

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Bluegill, walleye, striped bass, smallmouth bass, and catfish.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DocMcgillicuddy posted:

What are you primarily going to be fishing for?

And since you're primarily going to be on a lake I'd make one recommendation and that's to buy a reel that comes with spare spools so you can have both floating and sinking line. Sinking is a lot nicer on lakes when there's no rising fish.

Seems like various panfish are a really good bet around here and I've always had fun catching those, and of course I'd like to get trout because they're beautiful and tasty. I think bass are also pretty plentiful around here.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

DocMcgillicuddy posted:

Y'all aint seen skill till you seen me walk the dog with my top water frogs :colbert:

I never could get much action with a frog (probably because I was getting onto the water and into the pads about thirty minutes to an hour too late for the frog bite), but burning one of these buzz spoons in gold across the edge of any vegetation, underwater rock pile or pretty much any structure yields results. Hell, just earlier tonight I was burning it along the edge of the rocks by the shore where I was catfishing for the hell of it and got a couple nice hard strikes.

They're supposed to be one of the best spoon choicess out there for redfishing and not too bad for largemouths either from what I read. I wouldn't mind taking a few of these to Lake Montecello and buzzing them along the edge of the pads there and see what I can scare up. I spotted some really nice reds (and did manage to get one to boil on a frog I was throwing) and I'm sure with it being a power plant lake, I could get some really nice results almost year round.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Can anyone suggest some inexpensive (less than $75 preferably) chest waders for cold water river fishing? I'll be in spending a few days in cabin next to a river in western North Carolina in late fall/early winter and I'd like to hook onto some smallmouth while I'm there. Average temperatures for the area (I looked at Boone) average 43° in November, when we'll be there.

Edit: These are looking tempting. Thoughts?

me your dad fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 2, 2013

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Picture flood incoming.... Sort of cross-posting from the Canoe/Kayak thread. We have returned from our Boundary Waters Canoe Adventure. We were there for seven days and it was absolutely incredible. The Boundary Waters is near-million acre area of northern Minnesota that is practically untouched by man. It's the place to go to get away from everything and spend some quality time in the Nature. We traveled about 40 miles by canoe and portage. We spent more time traveling than fishing, but we did get lucky a few times.

This was the island we camped on for our third and fourth days. It was such a nice site that we took an entire day just for some R&R.

Our first catch, some nice bass.

Said bass, about to be eaten.

Our trusty aluminum canoe. Heavy as hell but survived quite the beating, which included running into countless rocks and being dragged up a few cliffs. This was all our gear for the week.

Our fishing spot where we caught the bass. The current kept pushing us around in circles, so that was nice.

Me fishing.

View from one of the camp sites.

We caught a salmon, too, which was quite unexpected.

Caviar, anyone?

Me cleaning the salmon. You have to go as far away from your campsite as possible so you don't have any unwanted visitors (bears), so sometimes finding a good spot to clean was a challenge.

The salmon, fried with a touch of paprika. Extremely delicious.

The water is so pure and clear that you can see all the way to the bottom of the lake, in every lake. Sometimes you can even see big fish swimming under the boat, but unfortunately dangling the bait wasn't effective.

On a portage, this one was 515 rods long (about 1.7 miles). It was extremely difficult (vertical cliffs, unsteady rock, balancing on tree trunks over swamp water, going through mud pits up to your knees), so we took the packs first and then the canoe. Perspective isn't reflected well, I am standing next to a steep cliff about 150 feet in the air above that river.

It was so much fun. The weather was perfect for all but one day that brought a few big thunder storms. If you're looking for a huge adventure, I highly recommend a trip to the BWCA. Would absolutely be worth traveling cross-country for.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
That looks awesome. I've never done much canoeing(except for this weekend), but that would be amazing. I might try to convince one of my friends to go on a trip like that.

I had a little mini fishing trip this weekend. I went down to SE Minnesota to visit my girlfriend's family, but spent most of the time fishing. Took out a 16' aluminum canoe to the backwaters of the Mississippi River with my girlfriend's dad and did some panfishing. Caught a few bass and a lot of nice sunfish, probably could have kept a dozen in the 8-9" range. I also caught a pretty big dogfish which was fun, the thing was just ROLLING next to the canoe, like an alligator or something.

On the way back from canoeing I asked him if there was any trout in the creek that runs through the front of their property(they have a bunch of land in the bluffs) and he said, 'Oh yeah, lots of browns and some brookies."

I took a half hour that evening and brought my ultralite. I only had one little spinner that looked like a trout might like it so I tied it on and gave it a whirl. I had no idea what I was doing, and the creek was tough to fish, but I hooked into this one almost immediately!

I had a few other hits, but they didn't take it. Next time I"m down there I'm going to bring some worms, because there were TONS in that creek. Pretty cool to walk out the front door about a .5 mile to a creek loaded with these guys! I was told this was big enough to keep if I wanted to eat it, but I just like to catch em, these are beautiful! I pinched the barbs on my hooks because I didn't want to hurt any of these little guys. That creek was awesome though, it's spring fed so it's crystal clear and really cold. How neat is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3JodBR-vs

That's pretty neat!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Koivunen posted:

Picture flood incoming.... Sort of cross-posting from the Canoe/Kayak thread.

I had no idea we had a Canoe/Kayak thread, need to find that and give it a read. Your pictures are always amazing, I would love to put my kayak into those lakes you are posting about and spend a few days fishing and camping. I need to get stationed some where remote enough to still have locations like that.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
What does pinching barbs do?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!
Fun Shoe

SERPUS posted:

What does pinching barbs do?

Like the barbs on the hook? Makes it way easier to get hooks out of fish(or yourself). I do it on most of my lures, anything that has a chance to really get inhaled gets it done for sure. My goal is to release fish as quickly and with the least amount of damage done as possible.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Koivunen posted:

Picture flood incoming.... Sort of cross-posting from the Canoe/Kayak thread.

Can I get a link. I did not know such a thread existed.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

DoctaFun posted:

That looks awesome. I've never done much canoeing(except for this weekend), but that would be amazing. I might try to convince one of my friends to go on a trip like that.

I had a little mini fishing trip this weekend. I went down to SE Minnesota to visit my girlfriend's family, but spent most of the time fishing. Took out a 16' aluminum canoe to the backwaters of the Mississippi River with my girlfriend's dad and did some panfishing. Caught a few bass and a lot of nice sunfish, probably could have kept a dozen in the 8-9" range. I also caught a pretty big dogfish which was fun, the thing was just ROLLING next to the canoe, like an alligator or something.

On the way back from canoeing I asked him if there was any trout in the creek that runs through the front of their property(they have a bunch of land in the bluffs) and he said, 'Oh yeah, lots of browns and some brookies."

I took a half hour that evening and brought my ultralite. I only had one little spinner that looked like a trout might like it so I tied it on and gave it a whirl. I had no idea what I was doing, and the creek was tough to fish, but I hooked into this one almost immediately!

I had a few other hits, but they didn't take it. Next time I"m down there I'm going to bring some worms, because there were TONS in that creek. Pretty cool to walk out the front door about a .5 mile to a creek loaded with these guys! I was told this was big enough to keep if I wanted to eat it, but I just like to catch em, these are beautiful! I pinched the barbs on my hooks because I didn't want to hurt any of these little guys. That creek was awesome though, it's spring fed so it's crystal clear and really cold. How neat is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3JodBR-vs

That's pretty neat!

I think it's awesome that you're pinching your barbs and releasing lots of fish, but if your goal is releasing them unharmed, I'd stay away from worms. They swallow natural baits much deeper, and even without barbs, the larger hooks combined with live baits can easily cause fatal damage. Fly fishing is great for catching and releasing fish, especially the small ones.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Tales from the newbie zone:

Spent most of the day fishing yesterday. Went down to the marina/breakwall/power plant hot water discharge area in downtown Cleveland on Lake Erie. Had a great time playing with all my new gear, but didn't even get a nibble. I'm guessing because where I was fishing is a rubble strewn semi-artificial shore with little natural protection. I think next time I need to get closer to a little sheltered area next to the marina. (here's a google satellite roughly centered of where I was fishing and the sheltered area is to the left: http://goo.gl/maps/JlVlM)

After a couple hours there, I drove out to an area that's known for offshore fishing and did some fishing from the breakwall and beach (centered in this satellite shot: http://goo.gl/maps/M4EcU). Again, skunked, but I wonder if that's because there was a ton of boat traffic in the harbor.

Took a quick stop at Dicks, where I randomly bought a basic baitcasting setup because all clearance rods, reels, and combos are 75% off the clearance price. So if you have a Dicks near you, might be worth a stop. The selection was random, but I got a 7' house brand rod and a basic reel for $18.

Last stop of the day was taking my 5 year old daughter to the state park for some bluegill (she's the one that spurred my getting back into fishing). We averaged about three worms nibbled away to each one caught, but I landed the first one for her, and she then proceeded to land two more by herself while I tried to figure out exactly why I had a rat's nest in my new reel (the answer being I'm a newbie and didn't set it up/feather it right).

So a full day spent, maybe 12 ounces of bluegill landed. Couldn't be happier.

Oh, best part. I told my daughter we could rent a rowboat at the state park and go out into the water better this weekend if she'd like, and she tells me this morning: "Daddy, I have an idea. When we rent the boat, why don't you row it and I'll catch some fish big enough for you to eat, since I'm better at fishing than you". A combo of :3: and :argh:

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

Atticus_1354 posted:

Can I get a link. I did not know such a thread existed.

Looks like it's still a young thread, but it's here in A/T.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563713

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

stealie72 posted:

Spent most of the day fishing yesterday. Went down to the marina/breakwall/power plant hot water discharge area in downtown Cleveland on Lake Erie. Had a great time playing with all my new gear, but didn't even get a nibble. I'm guessing because where I was fishing is a rubble strewn semi-artificial shore with little natural protection. I think next time I need to get closer to a little sheltered area next to the marina. (here's a google satellite roughly centered of where I was fishing and the sheltered area is to the left: http://goo.gl/maps/JlVlM)

That and unless its extremely cold out, the water coming out of that hot water discharge is going to just be way too hot on average for many fish to want to hang out there. At least at this time of year. I'm betting that when winter rolls around, that wouldn't be too bad a place to work. As for the baitcaster, its probably going to take a good bit of practice to get back into the swing of using one.

Also, Your daughter sounds absolutely adorable and I can't wait until I have a kid so I can take them fishing.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Koivunen posted:

We caught a salmon, too, which was quite unexpected.
That's a lake trout. Delicious fish, usually hang out deep in the lakes up there. It musta been coming shallow to spawn.

DoctaFun posted:

Nice brown! I LOVE the MN driftless. If you are around the Rushford area, I can recommend some killer spots. Definitely seconding learning to flyfish. If you have access to a private creek like that, you'd haul them in hand-over-fist. No pressure = easy to catch trout. Saute a couple in lemon-butter. They taste amazing. And you're actually helping the population as long as you aren't over-harvesting.

Pham Nuwen posted:

What are you fishing for and where?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

What are you fishing for and where?

I ended up getting the Quarrow one. I plan to try the local lakes and reservoirs for panfish, bass, and trout. There are hardly any real streams around here. I'm thinking I'll try a nearby reservoir tonight; it feeds pretty directly from the San Joaquin delta and apparently has panfish, black bass, and striped bass. There's also an old quarry right outside of town that they stock with trout, also has bass and panfish.

Edit: I grabbed a couple common flies to try based on what I saw online. Wooly Bugger, Hare's Ear, Royal Coachman, and a few panfish poppers. We'll see how I do :v:

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 4, 2013

DocMcgillicuddy
Jul 24, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

I ended up getting the Quarrow one. I plan to try the local lakes and reservoirs for panfish, bass, and trout. There are hardly any real streams around here. I'm thinking I'll try a nearby reservoir tonight; it feeds pretty directly from the San Joaquin delta and apparently has panfish, black bass, and striped bass. There's also an old quarry right outside of town that they stock with trout, also has bass and panfish.

Edit: I grabbed a couple common flies to try based on what I saw online. Wooly Bugger, Hare's Ear, Royal Coachman, and a few panfish poppers. We'll see how I do :v:

Congrats! You'll be wondering where paycheques went in no time at all :)

The upside is you get to act all uppity like you own every piece of water you're on.

I just pulled the trigger on a whole new 6 weight setup. Vapen Red, Rise Reel, Perception Line who cares backing and whoop de doo leaders. Picked up a couple of 100yd tippet spools too.

Whole setup cost me as much as a the MSRP for the rod :smug:

DocMcgillicuddy fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 4, 2013

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I got a free crankbait tonight!

I hooked a small bluegill on a little 1/16th jig, pulled it in and there was a little tiny crawdad crankbait hooked into its face. There was no string with it, so I can assume that someone tied it a bad knot.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I ran off to the nearest reservoir tonight to try out the new gear. I'm total poo poo at casting still, but from the shore I caught two little 4-5" bass in about an hour. The first was on a Woolly Bugger, then another on a Hare's Ear nymph. Casting that #10 Woolly Bugger was a bitch, especially with the wind... I got a bit spooked by that big hook whipping around past my head.

To the fly fishing guys: how do you get the line/lure in and out of the water? I string the leader and line out the tip, end up with 6' of leader and a foot or two of line hanging out the end. Tie on a fly and hold the rod up high to keep the fly off the ground. The videos I've seen all seem to start with a bunch of line out lying on the water, but what's the best way to get it out there, especially on still water?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Pham Nuwen posted:

I ran off to the nearest reservoir tonight to try out the new gear. I'm total poo poo at casting still, but from the shore I caught two little 4-5" bass in about an hour. The first was on a Woolly Bugger, then another on a Hare's Ear nymph. Casting that #10 Woolly Bugger was a bitch, especially with the wind... I got a bit spooked by that big hook whipping around past my head.

To the fly fishing guys: how do you get the line/lure in and out of the water? I string the leader and line out the tip, end up with 6' of leader and a foot or two of line hanging out the end. Tie on a fly and hold the rod up high to keep the fly off the ground. The videos I've seen all seem to start with a bunch of line out lying on the water, but what's the best way to get it out there, especially on still water?
Best way is to take a free class at the place you bought the combo. :) Teaching yourself is hard and will introduce a ton of bad habits that will take forever to un-train. A good lesson will take half an hour and teach you everything you need to know. Trust me on that one.

Second best way is to pull out a bunch of line off the reel and make a series of increasing length casts.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Pham Nuwen posted:

Practice in a field first too, with a piece of yarn at the end of your tippet. If you're fishing stillwaters, especially with choppy or rocky shores, consider using a stripping basket around your waist, homemade or otherwise, to control your line, makes it much easier.

DocMcgillicuddy
Jul 24, 2005

Pull out 30 feet of line and practice working with that outside the rod tip. Play around with adding and subtracting line while you get to know your rod and how it casts.

How you pickup and get line out sort of depends on where you're fishing and what kind of room you have.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
What's the longest, hardest to get through day of work? The day before a fishing trip. I can't concentrate on anything :(. I just want to catch some walleyes :(.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

What's the longest, hardest to get through day of work? The day before a fishing trip. I can't concentrate on anything :(. I just want to catch some walleyes :(.

I had that all day yesterday. I wanted to get out there and try the new rig. I finally said "gently caress it" and left at 4:50.

Today I'm unable to concentrate because my new carburetor showed up and I'm going to install it tonight.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Oh man, I got my new Abu Garcia rod and reel in. I put the Revo MGX on my 7'11" Heavy Veritas casting rod and my Revo Inshore on the new 7'9" Medium Volatile casting rod. God they are both better then that veritas rod and inshore reel were as a combo. They're both casting about 50% farther now then they were before. And thats into the wind. Its just gorgeous to cast. So silky smooth. They are some expensive setups, but god they are worth it in the end.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I spent most of the morning out on a quarry lake. Mostly, I fished off some docks. By the time I started casting, the fish were just finishing up feeding off flies on the surface. I started fishing with a Hare's Ear and got a nibble, then after a while switched to a black Woolly Bugger. Also tried a panfish popper type thing. Ended up going home skunked, I couldn't even hook one of the little fish (bluegills?) that I could see nibbling at my lures in close.

I've got a question about casting, though. I can do ok with the Hare's Ear and the popper, both of which are pretty small and light (#14 or #16, I forget). The Woolly Bugger, though, I had a hell of a time casting decently. That big assed thing (#10) hardly wanted to come out of the water in the first place, and then I tended to get pretty poo poo casts overall. Couldn't do a roll cast with it for poo poo either. Is it just the weight, too heavy for my 5wt rod and line?

DocMcgillicuddy
Jul 24, 2005

Not necessarily that it's a 5 weight but that particular rod might not have the power required to launch something with that much air resistance using your current casting stroke.

Roll casting wet flies is pretty rough, you need to bring the fly up to the surface, form your d loop and have everything still and anchored really quick.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DocMcgillicuddy posted:

Not necessarily that it's a 5 weight but that particular rod might not have the power required to launch something with that much air resistance using your current casting stroke.

Roll casting wet flies is pretty rough, you need to bring the fly up to the surface, form your d loop and have everything still and anchored really quick.

Ok. I've actually caught (little tiny) fish on the woolly bugger before, in fact it was in the first 10 minutes of ever fly fishing, so I like the fly. Are they commonly available in smaller sizes, like 14 or 16? Like I said, I could cast the Hare's Ear just fine.

I had a lot of fun with the panfish popper, by the way. I may not have been doing it entirely right, but basically I put it out there a bit and then just kept bringing it across the surface very fast by pulling the rod to the side rather than stripping in line. The popper would skip across the surface, and when it got too close I'd just do a roll cast and repeat the process. Roll casts worked great with this thing.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Falukorv posted:

And perches, man, they are in a way pretty voracious. Pikes have the reputation of being voracious and basically going for anything, but perches are the fish that as far as i've experienced, go for the biggest bait relative to their body size. They jump on spoon lures more than half their size. You've got to admire that kind of boldness.

I love when there's a fish that doesn't realize its size. I bought a new Jackall lure a couple weeks ago (the Kawashi Mikey 140) and finally got a chance to try it out yesterday. First fish on it was this guy:

The lure alone is almost 6" and he hit that thing with all he had.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Reminds me of a fish I caught - When I was cleaning out a moderatly sized Walleye, it had a 4"+ plastic lure completely filling it's stomach that looked like it was intended for a muskie.

I might have a picture of that somewhere.

jurassic
Sep 20, 2009

40 miles offshore Galveston, mostly yellowfin and red snapper.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Red snappers out of season, I thought. I went on a party boat 2 weeks ago and we could only keep vermilions.

jurassic
Sep 20, 2009

Yeah earlier this year, just found this thread today.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Snook season opened up here on the gulf on sep 1 after a 3 year closure. My roomate and I paddled (I'm a SUP he's got a yak) to the exact mangrove tree line where we saw literally hundreds spook when we were on a friends airboat. Tally, 30 snook. Sadly all were babies the biggest of which were maybe 15" so we didn't bother with pics.

drat I want to taste one of those bad boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
What were you using to catch the snook?