Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

JerryLee posted:

Well, I mean, the portmanteau is obvious, which is why it always confuses me that many people don't pronounce it the way they (hopefully) pronounce 'laser.' Or do they actually say 'lazzer'?

We pronounce it the way it looks now, not the way it looked when it was a separate word.

E: Whoops, beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

AbusePuppy posted:

The thing about Crusader is not that it necessarily drastically ups your average range- although in that sense it's better than Fleet, since you don't ever have to worry about "what if I reroll that 3 into a 1", but that it makes it much more likely that you will move a significant distance. Very rarely will you get stuck with a 1" run when using Crusader, and 75% of the time you'll go 4" or more.

The special/heavy in 5man has already been noted; it's quite possible to run them as baby Devastators with LasPlas and 2-3 Neophytes for ablative wounds. I think they make pretty okay backfield units in that sense.

The special characters aren't really very good, but you don't need to take them; grab a regular Chaplain to lead a Crusader squad into a fight or a Captain to carry some nasty sword. Since Librarians aren't such a go-to HQ anymore, the inability to take them really isn't a huge deal for BT, and if you're taking allies you could probably slip in a Rune Priest or something if you don't care so much about the fluff.

BT definitely aren't a top-line option from what I've seen so far, but an "inferior" Chapter Tactic really isn't that big a deal, and Crusader squads are more or less strictly superior to Tactical squads, so that's something. You still get all the good toys from the book, so while it might be a small concession to play them, it's not gonna wreck your chances overall.

The problem with the bit blobs isn't so much getting them across, though that is a problem, it's what do they do once they're there. They don't seem to hit that hard and will be hard to manage and easy to shoot.

I was toying with an idea of a few 5 man heavy/special squads and a few blobs, then building from there. It seems promising, but not super competitive.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
I want to go to some GTs with my customers at my store, what is right now the no nonsense chaos space marine list with three helldrakes, is there one? Can they have a competitive build for big tournaments> I just to build three of those bad boys and want a good army at the same time. I was thinking 12 autocannon havocs, plus some cultists, plus flying daemon prince and daemon allies. Whats the story?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

JerryLee posted:

Well, I mean, the portmanteau is obvious, which is why it always confuses me that many people don't pronounce it the way they (hopefully) pronounce 'laser.' Or do they actually say 'lazzer'?

GW, who should probably be considered the canonical sourse, pronounce it "lazgun". That's because they speak English and write in English. And the English pronunciation of that word is "lazgun".
Seriously, there are some esoteric names in Hamland that I can understand people being confused about, but a lot are just "turrent" levels of daft.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 11, 2013

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

I've only been putting models together for a week or so, for the first time in years. My first conversion in 12 years is adding a sword to a Chimera's turret commander. Because why the hell not.

This little thing makes me so happy.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Push me (turret) closer! I want to hit them with my sword!

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Squifferific posted:

I've only been putting models together for a week or so, for the first time in years. My first conversion in 12 years is adding a sword to a Chimera's turret commander. Because why the hell not.

This little thing makes me so happy.

Little conversions that bring more character in are always cool. I think these guys are the first conversion work I've ever done (weapon swapping). Pulled all the usable weapons from my box of Sanguinary Guard that I thought I would never paint. Power weapons taller than the actual models? Not a problem for Death Company! Also DOUBLE FIST! I need to get on my double Thunder Hammer model soon.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
Double powerfist is so god drat sexy. Good work.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

rjderouin posted:

I want to go to some GTs with my customers at my store, what is right now the no nonsense chaos space marine list with three helldrakes, is there one? Can they have a competitive build for big tournaments> I just to build three of those bad boys and want a good army at the same time. I was thinking 12 autocannon havocs, plus some cultists, plus flying daemon prince and daemon allies. Whats the story?

How many points?

To be honest with you, three drakes is overkill. Two is very solid but drakes struggle with 2+ armour and AV12-14 stuff. You're better off using your third fast slot for some bikes or spawn.

Same deal with autocannon havocs, they're great but spamming them is a bad move because they aren't going to do you any good against 2+ armour or tough AV.

The trick to a good tournament list is to have a strong strategy but to also include units that can deal with what your oponents will throw at you.

If you take three drakes and 12 autocannons you'll stomp someone who brings a mechanised marine force full of rhinos and predators but you'll get your arse handed to you by necrons Tau or grey knights.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Smegmalicious posted:

Taugust?

So here are the worst I've heard in real life:

CHAY-os vs KAY-os, DAY-mons vs DEE-mons, and worst of all, MARY-eens. Space MARY-eens. That was a dude who was picking up models which were on the table IN GAME to look at them without asking. We had words.

Day-mons or die-mons is technically correct I think. It's a Greek loan word and in its original context iirc means like 'little gods' so guys like Heracles, and a classics professor would use the proper pronunciation. GW and popular English in general clearly just think of it as a cool spelling for demon though.

e: ah here we go, so the Greek is 'daimon' and then that gets translated as 'daemon' and pronounced like 'demon' http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/daimon

Living Image fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 11, 2013

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Oh my glob, I saw a 130 post update and expected rumors or an argument about some codex getting the shaft. Instead we're discussing pronunciation.

I'm glad someone brought up Waaagh = War at least. But people mispronouncing chaos or demon? Tau? WTF?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I know a guy who pronounces 'wych' as 'wiishz'. Truly a universe of infinite possibility.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
There are people in life that pronounce Tau as Tay-you

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Bavius posted:

Oh my glob, I saw a 130 post update and expected rumors or an argument about some codex getting the shaft. Instead we're discussing pronunciation.

I'm glad someone brought up Waaagh = War at least. But people mispronouncing chaos or demon? Tau? WTF?

I dont think i've seen any new rumors, at least from the usual places since Mango said he made up the crawling plague.
Seriously, how do you mis pronouce Chaos?

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 11, 2013

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
There are some people that say Spess Mehreens.

They are highly paid voice actors.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeCfod1XT7E)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
New from FW, the XV107 R'Varna Battlesuit.

It's so... overdesigned. Sort of like it.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
I must have it.

It looks like a flightless/jsj-less up-armored version of the Riptide. I think those might be some kind of heavy ion accelerator or whatever. Cool.

Bavius fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 11, 2013

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It looks like someone watched too much Bay Transformers.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Smegmalicious posted:

The problem with the bit blobs isn't so much getting them across, though that is a problem, it's what do they do once they're there. They don't seem to hit that hard and will be hard to manage and easy to shoot.

I was toying with an idea of a few 5 man heavy/special squads and a few blobs, then building from there. It seems promising, but not super competitive.
Well, with a Chappy leading those guys are actually fairly scary- if you assume that ~10 guys make it there and you took BP/CCW on them (because you should), you'll be putting ~14 wounds on an enemy Marine squad, which should kill quite a few of them- more if you have a special CCW in the squad or if you buy an upgrade for your Chappy. (Teeth of Terra wouldn't be awful.)

The LasPlas Crusaders with two extra ablative guys isn't terrible and it's a scoring heavy weapons unit; if it has to go on the move, the Plasma at least keeps it functionality. A Drop Pod or transport could also help it a bunch to make sure it gets where it needs to go and offer some extra protection. Hrm, maybe even just 5man LasPlas in a Rhino would be fine...

BT aren't gonna be top-tier competitive, but I feel like you can make them into something you wouldn't need to feel ashamed of running. It's all a matter of playing to your advantages- because they do have advantages- and using the tools you have.

drat YOU FORGE WOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLLLD. I'll go get my wallet.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Shockeh posted:

It looks like someone watched too much Bay Transformers.

I think Michael Bay would fit right in in the school of "everything is over the top as hellllllllllllllllll" *guitar riff and shower of sparks* 40k universe, though. So, it sorta works.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What happened to the Tau's "we don't need giant mechs because that is illogical, captain" thing? Went out the window in the face of potential profit, I assume?

If you absolutely must have a big loving Gundam robot covered in guns, then just buy a fuckin' Gundam that's covered in guns. I bet it's at least three times cheaper than that thing. Just slap some Tau bits on it, replace the head with an inappropriately small head, and blammo, perfect Riptide variant!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 11, 2013

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Bavius posted:

I must have it.

It looks like a flightless/jsj-less up-armored version of the Riptide. I think those might be some kind of heavy ion accelerator or whatever. Cool.

"A development of the Riptide, the R’Varna sacrifices mobility for heavier armour and increased firepower in the form of two pulse submunition cannon."

The regular Riptide already has a 2+ save, so I guess this means more wounds or a better Inv save.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

serious gaylord posted:

There are people in life that pronounce Tau as Tay-you
Out of all the mispronunciations posted so far, this one right here is the most painful one for me.
Find these people and throw old metal Tomb Spyders at them, they deserve it.

Oh, and a new Riptide with extra anime. That's cool I guess.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Mango Polo posted:

"A development of the Riptide, the R’Varna sacrifices mobility for heavier armour and increased firepower in the form of two pulse submunition cannon."

The regular Riptide already has a 2+ save, so I guess this means more wounds or a better Inv save.

The only thing that matters is what the gently caress the stats are for "pulse submunition cannons," and I'm going to wager "not good," since it has the word "pulse" in it and not "ion." We'll see, I guess. Could be pleasantly surprised.

Model-wise, that thing is a busy pile of poo poo that does not fit into the Tau aesthetic.

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009

Smegmalicious posted:

I'm pretty happy with the new Templars overall, we get access to all the cool stuff, but the loss of easy access to hatred/rage really hurt. Our crusader squads are cool, but like you say they're really just basic marines in combat with the extra attack for bp/ccw. I think maybe using some of the new stuff we get, like min size razorback squads, thunderfire cannon, troop biker squads, ironclads, etc, then use the marine blobs just to mop up the rest after they get across the board. That's what I'll be trying tonight at least.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Double fisting rules.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
Is it a bad idea to replace the helmets and torsoes in a chaos marine squad with the Iron Warriors' ones if I am going to paint them Black Legion? It would appear nobody else on the internet has thought of this, and the IW helmets and torso are much less over-the-top.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Fearless posted:

Double fisting rules.

YOU got the TOUCH You got the POWER

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Groetgaffel posted:

Out of all the mispronunciations posted so far, this one right here is the most painful one for me.

I was working for Workshop when the Tau first came out, and it was painful how common it was with kids at the time. These would be the same kids who had one full Tactical Squad, one Bike, 5 Terminators and Marneus Calgar. No matter what, this was ALWAYS what they had.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Since the syllable 'tau' is, in context, a word from an alien language that bears no direct relationship to the visually identical English word, it wouldn't really annoy me if someone pronounced it differently than I did. I'm sure there's an official GW pronunciation, but it's not like the average fan gets all their pronunciation from a common source, as opposed to a primarily audio or audiovisual piece of media like Star Wars or whatever. Tay-you is a pretty weird one though.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I was just curious how other people say it. Tay-you is an odd one, but still better than 'tah' (in my opinion).

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
In Manchester at least, I've always heard it pronounced as if it rhymed with 'cow'

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Captain Invictus posted:

What happened to the Tau's "we don't need giant mechs because that is illogical, captain" thing? Went out the window in the face of potential profit, I assume?

If you absolutely must have a big loving Gundam robot covered in guns, then just buy a fuckin' Gundam that's covered in guns. I bet it's at least three times cheaper than that thing. Just slap some Tau bits on it, replace the head with an inappropriately small head, and blammo, perfect Riptide variant!

The guy who won my bracket at Nova did that, and it looked loving awful.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Those are sure some weird ways to say flashlight.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Speaking of pronouncing things in 40K I stumbled across this gem last night and while I appreciate his intent and even like some of the content, hearing him do an Ork's cockney accent through a distortion effect with his own accent peeking through is magical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf1wEkgyL8g Sadly there are no images, so try Tau if you find the Ork video boring to "watch" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHOziwbKlGM

Warhammer 40,000: Fluff for the uninitiated. There are 16 of these so far.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Captain Invictus posted:

It went out the window in the face of potential awesome. Seriously, that was the dumbest bit of fluff. Why the hell would the anime mecha themed faction not have some big gently caress-off anime mecha? I get that giant robots are completely silly and illogical, but this is 40K, and the blue space goats don't need to know that.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I don't know if this is the right spot, but does anyone have a Steel Legion lieutenant who's pointing (pictured below) that I can buy? I will pay actual dollars for it.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

That's what was said about titans. Hence the reason why all of their titan-equivalents are planes. Doesn't contradict having a mid-size suit.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I remember a rumour a couple months back said forgeworld would be doing a riptide variant, and some sort of super stealth suit. Hopefully we see the super stealth suit soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
It was also sorta addressed in the codex fluff. They mentioned that the Earth Caste couldn't get them to work acceptably until they started using (totally not dangerous) scaled down starship engines minus some shielding and whatnot.

• Locked thread