Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Baron Bifford posted:

Here's another article that illuminates Garland's intentions. It suggests that he deliberately wrote Dredd as a straight, non-humorous movie because that interpretation had the most meaning for him. He first got into Dredd when he was 10 years old, too young to understand the satire.

There's this other interview and this one too where he says the satire in Dredd is at best implicit.

I don't get you, Biff:

Alex Garland interview 2 posted:

He's like his own critique.

He is, yeah. And that stuff is in the film by implication, I would say, you know? There's different ways you can approach that kind of subtext in a film. You can either put a sign post on it and say, "Here's a subtext. Look at it." Or you can make it implicit. And I think what we did was we took the implicit route. If you have a police state with a cop that executes people without any due process, they are in some respects, if you're a democrat, an antihero. And you don't need to signpost it more than that. People hopefully, either they're interested or they're not interested, and if they're interested they can then go on their own process, I guess.

These are some great interviews, though, thanks a ton for finding them.

Shanty fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Well, I suppose that settles it. I was disappointed that the movie's satire was muted and implicit rather that loud and explicit like it is in the comics. Debate closed, then?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Baron Bifford posted:

Well, I suppose that settles it. I was disappointed that the movie's satire was muted and implicit rather that loud and explicit like it is in the comics. Debate closed, then?

Oh, well yeah. That's pretty reasonable.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Baron Bifford posted:

Here's another article that illuminates Garland's intentions. It suggests that he deliberately wrote Dredd as a straight, non-humorous movie because that interpretation had the most meaning for him. He first got into Dredd when he was 10 years old, too young to understand the satire.

It's really funny that you present an article as evidence that your reading of the movie is the most correct one, and the quote you choose from the article to support your claim starts with "I mean, it’s subjective, right?"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

It's really funny that you present an article as evidence that your reading of the movie is the most correct one, and the quote you choose from the article to support your claim starts with "I mean, it’s subjective, right?"

Well he apparently didn't even read it because when a quote was pointed out that contradicts him, he just said "oh, well ,guess that settles it." Good for him I guess for not just cherrypicking specific quotes that fit his argument.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Basebf555 posted:

Well he apparently didn't even read it because when a quote was pointed out that contradicts him, he just said "oh, well ,guess that settles it." Good for him I guess for not just cherrypicking specific quotes that fit his argument.

As I read it he finally admits that there actually is real satire in the movie, since now that the director has said so it is definitely true. It's just not the kind he wanted, whatever that means.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
I love that in that first article Garland admits that all the sequel stuff he's been talking about was basically just him shooting his mouth off about his daydreams.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

As I read it he finally admits that there actually is real satire in the movie, since now that the director has said so it is definitely true. It's just not the kind he wanted, whatever that means.

Oh yea good for Bifford for admitting that. I'm just pointing out that he is admitting it because of a quote from an article HE posted, which he must not have read all the way through. Funny poo poo.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Shanty posted:

I love that in that first article Garland admits that all the sequel stuff he's been talking about was basically just him shooting his mouth off about his daydreams.

I don't love that at all :(

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
This is more of a backstory question but is it established how MC1 grows its food? I imagine it'd have to be somewhere inside the city but there doesn't look like a lot of arable land exists.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

computer parts posted:

This is more of a backstory question but is it established how MC1 grows its food? I imagine it'd have to be somewhere inside the city but there doesn't look like a lot of arable land exists.

There are large synthetic food plants. And munce, of course. There's always munce.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Blazing Ownager posted:

This is a really amusing point from a cracked list:

It'd be hilarious to think Megacity One isn't half as bad as the Judges make it out to be, and they're still this hardline.

Just to go back to this again for a second, this could be a meditation on Three Strikes Law, which has actually lowering crime statistics (in California anyway), particularly violent crimes. The only problem was it didn't make them go away and the cost was incredibly high.

The logical progression would be then

Three Strikes makes streets safer despite high cost -> Cost becomes too high, executions become imperative -> Prisons turn into isocubes -> Rejection of executions in appellate courts -> Judges given right to execute -> Judge becomes a harder job and requires more skilled training -> fewer Judges on the actual streets leading to less coverage of crimes -> etc.

17k is still incredible low, though, so

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Cracked occasionally writes awesome articles. Ask me for a link to a good one if you're interested.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheJoker138 posted:

Doom is an awful movie what are you people talking about :psyduck:
SEMPER FI, MOTHERFUCKER! :madmax:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

"I've got three perps for recyc."

What do you think they're recycling the bodies to at recyc?

Also the Rock was good in Doom but but doesn't save it, and the only good action scene that's not just boring as gently caress is the first person scene. That's literally the only time that movie goes into "so insane it's actually good" mode. If the whole movie had been on that level of crazy it would have been ok, but it wasn't.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

TheJoker138 posted:

Also the Rock was good in Doom but but doesn't save it, and the only good action scene that's not just boring as gently caress is the first person scene. That's literally the only time that movie goes into "so insane it's actually good" mode. If the whole movie had been on that level of crazy it would have been ok, but it wasn't.

Agreed.

I'd be all over a movie based off of the Doom comic.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

computer parts posted:

Besides the mentioned ones there are huge farms in the cursed earth to feed the populace. Quite a few comics start with something going wrong there and Dredd having to go out and fix it. Lots of alien slave labor/minor mutants to man those farms as well which comes up a few times as an issue.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

TheJoker138 posted:

Next you're going to tell me Ghosts of Mars isn't great.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Next you're going to tell me Ghosts of Mars isn't great.

Shortly after you tell us it isn't John Carpenter's third remake of Rio Bravo.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jedit posted:

Shortly after you tell us it isn't John Carpenter's third remake of Rio Bravo.

You say this like it's a bad thing.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The DOOM movie had Dexter Fletcher of Press Gang and that one poo poo series of Gamesmaster fame playing the part of the famous pink demon from the game.

It's impossible for me to dislike that.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Anderson's hair makes a helmet.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I for one would like to see what the Baron considers an "awesome article" from Cracked.

(edit so as to not bump this topic for discussion that isn't about Dredd) Thanks, Bifford. That clears some things up.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 13, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Yep. I could see something like Soylent Green or WH40K's Corpse Starch in Mega City. Maybe not made of people, but with people, if there's an distinction.

Also, to answer the original question...

Ho, ho, ho.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Does Dredd get to make up laws or does he just enforce them?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Baron Bifford posted:

Does Dredd get to make up laws or does he just enforce them?
He doesn't make up laws on the spot in the comic, but he's quite often been seen to propose new laws to the Chief Judge and have them go on the books within hours. (MC1 has more than enough laws already for him to arrest anyone on any pretext if he needs to/feels like it.)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

NESguerilla posted:

I am confused. What did The Rock have to do with Dredd and when did he become awesome?

He became awesome in Be Cool.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Network Pesci posted:

I for one would like to see what the Baron considers an "awesome article" from Cracked.

Cracked has plenty of good articles, but I suspect that's not the point you're making.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

A note to all: September 18th is Dredd: Day of Action, a coordinated effort to get as many people buying, renting and/or watching Dredd 3D on that date as is humanly possible. It's also the date of release for the first issue of the comic sequel, which is separate from the 2000AD and IDW continuities.

Also, go sign the Rebellion petition if you haven't already. It has over 80,000 names on it now, but more are always welcome.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Network Pesci posted:

5 Things Nobody Tells You About Living in Japan
6 Painful Things Nobody Tells You About Fighting

Yes, these are lists, but they're good ones.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 12, 2013

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rocksicles posted:

He became awesome in Be Cool.

I thought he was pretty awesome right out of the gate in The Rundown. A criminally underrated movie in my opinion.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I thought he was pretty awesome right out of the gate in The Rundown. A criminally underrated movie in my opinion.

At least he seems to be taking Arnold's advice to heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF435dxn-44

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Armyman25 posted:

I honestly think this is what makes The Rock endearing and ten times more likeable than other muscle-bound Hulk Hogan types. Every single acting job he's ever had he seems to be having a hell of a good time, and I think that was a big part of his success in the wrestling business too. His character was over the top, but in a really fun way and he was always very very self-aware. He just seems like a pretty cool dude in general I guess.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
The Rock's been awesome since his first heel turn.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Armyman25 posted:

Are they friends or something? He had that weird speech about Schwarzenegger in The Other Guys as well.

Mr. Soul
Nov 5, 2011
Something I've been thinking about: Aren't Judges orphans trained from early adolescence? That would make them like a completely seperate society and culture from those they're supposed to "protect." Like, nobody in megacity-one has a Judge boyfriend? Do Judges do anything for recreation, can they even form relationships, legally?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mr. Soul posted:

Something I've been thinking about : Aren't Judges orphans trained from early adolescence? That would make them like a completely seperate society and culture from those they're supposed to "protect." Like, nobody in megacity-one has a Judge boyfriend? Do Judges do anything for recreation, can they even form relationships, legally?

In the comics they are trained from age 5 and aren't allowed to form relationships. They have very little time off- usually just a rest in the sleep machine (which compresses a nights sleep into 20 minutes) between shifts, with 8 hours natural sleep per week. So yes, Judge Dredd is a virgin.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

marktheando posted:

In the comics they are trained from age 5 and aren't allowed to form relationships. They have very little time off- usually just a rest in the sleep machine (which compresses a nights sleep into 20 minutes) between shifts, with 8 hours natural sleep per week. So yes, Judge Dredd is a virgin.

Mr. Soul
Nov 5, 2011
The image is funny, but drat that is grim. Fight for your life only to die in New Vegas, and you never even get your dick wet. Like, dude, that loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mr. Soul posted:

Something I've been thinking about : Aren't Judges orphans trained from early adolescence? That would make them like a completely seperate society and culture from those they're supposed to "protect." Like, nobody in megacity-one has a Judge boyfriend? Do Judges do anything for recreation, can they even form relationships, legally?
I've heard of parents sending their kids to the Academy.

• Locked thread