dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Helushune posted:

I couldn't agree more. Funny enough, we were discussing how useful/useless file extensions at work the other day and you could easily point out the *nix/mac users and those who had used Windows all their life. The argument the Windows users kept making was "well, how would you know what program opens them if it didn't have a file extension?" which seems completely pointless if you can just change them and have them open in a different application. I'm still convinced they're horribly useless and Windows should make every effort to move away from them beyond just hiding them by default.

You can also point out the people who spend their days maintaining and administering servers and the people who spend their days cleaning up after hapless Windows desktop users, evidently. :v: File extensions are just fine; they're an OS-agnostic method to identify a file type within the filename itself, which not only makes it easy to tell what files are when working with them manually, it makes it easy to create scripts to manipulate files based on their types without having to delve into some proprietary meta-information to figure it out.

The real problem is that Windows associates files with applications, including system-executed files like .lnk shortcuts and even .exe files, based solely on the file extension, which makes it easier to accidentally (or maliciously) screw something up. Filename extensions don't need to go away, Windows just needs to use an alternate method like file metadata or magic pattern matching (or even a combination of methods) to determine file associations, not just the filename extension.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

dennyk posted:

[...]

I'm 100% with you 1st paragraph on why they're good. 2nd one, I differ a little, I do think associating extensions with an app is a good thing and agree with the way windows does it, I want 100% of 3gp, mp4, avi etc video files associated with vlc because its better/simpler than what windows offers but I'm ok with jpg, gif, png etc opening in picture/fax viewer because it's acceptable, but something like .lnk files that ONLY windows would know what it is, it's just completely off the wall bonkers insane that one could be allowed to associate it with word or do anything at all to that association, if you could (and you can, somehow we know) you turn every icon from calculator to visio in your start menu to a word icon that doesn't do poo poo, you essentially have a softbrick, (and if you're serious about .exe I'm going to go put in an application at the carwash)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 11, 2013

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Wagonburner posted:

(and if you're serious about .exe I'm going to go put in an application at the carwash)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile. But seriously, don't go work at a car wash.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Helushune posted:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile. But seriously, don't go work at a car wash.

Good thing not all windowd utilities are .exe files!

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Wagonburner posted:

I had to try this, but it didn't work for me. Win 7. I was sure you were going to be right and I would have another :argh: Bill! WTF? :argh: moment.

I created a non-priv account like our users are, I made a shortcut to an mp4 and a shortcut to a pdf. I don't have word on here but I assoc'ed the linked mp4 to imgburn and the pdf to crystal diskinfo, it didn't gently caress with any .lnks/shortcuts but simply associated all mp4s with imgburn, all pdfs with crystal.

How did these users do it? Why does MS still have a way to break a core functionality?

Another poster up higher said it always happens with word for him, happened with word at our place today happens with catsblast for you I guess I should try it with them, maybe something screwy with them instead of just windows.

I managed to replicate using my method but it was on a terminal server - Windows Server 2008 R2. Maybe it was just a coincidence :(

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Pissing me off today, getting a Canon DR-5010C to work on Windows 7/8

I absolutely adore the 5010 as a scanner, with it's option for a straight through path and generally chunky and rugged design, you can give it to customers who will do things like mix in a credit card with the paper scans and it handles it all.

Problem is, the driver for it is missing about 21 DLL files needed to make TWAIN work. You can get those files if you install Canon's CapturePerfect software, but this only comes on the CD with the scanner, the versions on their website are upgrade-only and check for the original.

Without this you can't scan from any TWAIN software at all.

So I've had to acquire a copy and then make up a little package for people to dump into SysWOW64.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lum posted:

Pissing me off today, getting a Canon DR-5010C to work on Windows 7/8

I absolutely adore the 5010 as a scanner, with it's option for a straight through path and generally chunky and rugged design, you can give it to customers who will do things like mix in a credit card with the paper scans and it handles it all.

Problem is, the driver for it is missing about 21 DLL files needed to make TWAIN work. You can get those files if you install Canon's CapturePerfect software, but this only comes on the CD with the scanner, the versions on their website are upgrade-only and check for the original.

Without this you can't scan from any TWAIN software at all.

So I've had to acquire a copy and then make up a little package for people to dump into SysWOW64.

This sounds like a good way to make side money of advertisements on a how to website. Upload your filez to some anonymous survey based hosted and watch the dollars (pounds) roll in!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

tjl posted:

File extensions should have died with DOS, at least that's my offhand opinion. It always bothered me why Windows associates based on what basically amounts to verbiage that can change. I guess this problem isn't Windows specific either, but just one of those things we just accept as 'working good enough'. When or how a better way will come along is anyone's guess though.

It is almost wholly Windows-only, actually...

dennyk posted:

[...]

Or use the file header, like Linux/UNIX/etc do. Windows probably has an equivalent. This is much more intelligent than blindly running based on extension, and keeping a MIME database is not a problem in 2013.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

hihifellow posted:

It comes with another tool, I forget what its called but its something like Active Directory User Management or something, it's a utility written in powershell (yet comes with a GUI, no command line) that's specifically for people who only need to work with user accounts doing password resets and such without mucking about creating/working with OU's. I'd have more info if I was at work but I never use it since I mostly work with GPOs.

If you do come across the name, let me know. My google foo is pretty crappy this morning.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

blackswordca posted:

I hit them with a $250 rear end in a top hat tax and for future work increase my rates.

Please tell me you actually put the phrase "rear end in a top hat tax" on the invoice.

okay that would actually be a terrible idea but still

EDIT Note to self: check that you're on the last page before you start replying.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I recently switched from a Windows laptop to a Macbook Pro. We use Outlook for email, and the rules system for Outlook is driving me absolutely crazy. Not only do you have certain rules that can only be client side rules, such as, say, permanently deleting certain types of emails that you know to be spammy, or marking them read, not only do those rules ONLY work on the windows client, but you CANNOT DELETE THOSE RULES FROM THE MAC OUTLOOK CLIENT, NOR CAN YOU DISABLE THEM SO THAT OTHER RULES CAN RUN.

Holy hell Microsoft, what in the world is this? Why are you intentionally making me never want to use you again?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Outlook for MacOS is an insane, crippled clusterfuck. Just wait until you try to use distribution lists. I remember bitching about it upthread a bit.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Helushune posted:

I couldn't agree more. Funny enough, we were discussing how useful/useless file extensions at work the other day and you could easily point out the *nix/mac users and those who had used Windows all their life. The argument the Windows users kept making was "well, how would you know what program opens them if it didn't have a file extension?" which seems completely pointless if you can just change them and have them open in a different application. I'm still convinced they're horribly useless and Windows should make every effort to move away from them beyond just hiding them by default.

I wish that as long as Windows is using the file extensions for something, that they can't be hidden and forcefully displayed. It would prevent me a few headaches with users trying to open files with the wrong programs, or just trying to open dumb poo poo, and we still run into "awesome_picture.jpg.exe"

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007
Anyone else out there having problems with Outlook connectivity to Office 365 at the moment?

It's a day ending in "-day", so I assume the answer is yes...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

There is a GPO to uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types" option in Windows.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

GreenNight posted:

There is a GPO to uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types" option in Windows.

MS should know better, there are no "known file types" if you loving rely on the extension! :argh:

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I got an email Monday morning (actually Saturday) from the big boss saying that the Mayor's emails (from his personal address) are getting bounced back to him (from our mail server). This happened to another person recently, and the undeliverable message didn't contain any useful information, so I contacted our domain host and asked if they had had any DNS problems recently. He got to looking and noticed we had changed our IP and thought this was done in error so he changed it back (Note: we changed our IP 6 or so months ago with the ISP). So emails stop coming through altogether. I didn't know we had any problem until someone told me our webmail wasn't working. I called him and got that sorted.

Turns out the original issue was that our spam filter seems to have blocked the guy and any sbcglobal.net address when mailing multiple people.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
:v: Hey Dilbert do you know of any way to backup a Red Hat 2.1 AS server?

:stare:

I am scared to ask because I want to know if in the 10 years it has been running if it has ever been backed up.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

:v: Hey Dilbert do you know of any way to backup a Red Hat 2.1 AS server?

P2V and frisbee the old rear end hardware into a river?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

:v: Hey Dilbert do you know of any way to backup a Red Hat 2.1 AS server?

:stare:

I am scared to ask because I want to know if in the 10 years it has been running if it has ever been backed up.

:stare: It's last update was in 2005, it's release was in 2003, and it's EOL was 2009. Good GOD that poo poo is old.

Did you just run DD and call it good for them? :v:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

P2V and frisbee the old rear end hardware into a river?

Yeah what I am going to end up doing, P2V'ing as vmware still supports it, and backing up at the VM level. Now just the hard part "battling the 'virtualization is evil'

I just find it funny because there are some backula/rync packages still out there for it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

:stare: It's last update was in 2005, it's release was in 2003, and it's EOL was 2009. Good GOD that poo poo is old.

Did you just run DD and call it good for them? :v:

You should rsync instead of dd anyway.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
An email came in...

From: Google Calendar
Subject: Reminder: Hols @ Thu 12 Sep - Fri 20 Sep 2013

Didn't really need reminding :smug:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

tjl posted:

File extensions should have died with DOS

Sounds good until you have to deal with recovering thousands of Mac files that have all lost their resource fork. :smithicide:

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Or when you have people bringing Macs into a Windows environment and it shits ._ files all over the network...

(Blueharvest helps)

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

You should rsync instead of dd anyway.

Pretty the alternative I gave if we don't P2V, but I don't think it will float because it doesn't have the words "enterprise edition" next to it.

It reminds me of my rants with people over FC and IP based storage.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Speaking of file extensions - Adobe Photoshop won't open images if they have invalid extension. One of the issues our client was having, when trying to open .jpg's that were in actuality png files. Fun!

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

GargleBlaster posted:

Or when you have people bringing Macs into a Windows environment and it shits ._ files all over the network...

(Blueharvest helps)

Or creates a marvelous ¤ -folder that screws everything up until you learn you can delete it with del \\?\path...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I'm not replying until Monday morning, my boss already forwarded it to me with a "what".

If that thing isn't back in the partner's office before she starts on Monday, she's probably just getting walked out the door.

I kind of want to give her a job in IT because she has shown more initiative than almost anyone that has ever worked here.
You'll love it until you realize that 60% of the useful tools for both you and your department, have migrated into spots around her office. People who will walk into another person's office and appropriate their poo poo without asking anybody first, will do so at every opportunity and with gusto.

BurgerQuest posted:

Email chat: ridiculously graphical corporate signatures repeated over and over in long chains.
The best are the ones where they do this, but the graphic is actually a scanned image of their actual, handwritten signature.

I enjoy the looks of horror when I describe how easy it would be to use a sig like that, to falsify a shitton of documents with signatures that would be really tough to tell weren't your own.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 11, 2013

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Pretty the alternative I gave if we don't P2V, but I don't think it will float because it doesn't have the words "enterprise edition" next to it.

It reminds me of my rants with people over FC and IP based storage.

ln -s rsync rsync_enterprise_edition :v:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A vender just came in to the front desk, and the front desk lady called saying there is brats and corn for me. Cooked.

Weird rear end vender.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Alien Arcana posted:

Please tell me you actually put the phrase "rear end in a top hat tax" on the invoice.

okay that would actually be a terrible idea but still

Not to continue a derail, but a coworker of mine tells a story of a previous employer who had a normal labor rate, plus a "best" rate that was about 20% higher, to be used in the case of assholes.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Moey posted:

If you do come across the name, let me know. My google foo is pretty crappy this morning.

If ADUC is above their heads you should check out Active Directory Administrative Center. It's included in 2008R2 and above, built pretty much for helpdesk or line staff to do simple things in AD.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

GreenNight posted:

A vender just came in to the front desk, and the front desk lady called saying there is brats and corn for me. Cooked.

Weird rear end vender.

Don't lie, you're in Wisconsin. The only weird thing is that they didn't bring beer as well.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
2.5 days left at current job. Somehow the word is still getting around the office as people who are just finding out are only now coming up to my desk saying they will miss me. Feels weird leaving a place I actually liked.

Doing cleanup and organizing things for next guy is a pain in the rear end.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

GreenNight posted:

A vender just came in to the front desk, and the front desk lady called saying there is brats and corn for me. Cooked.

Weird rear end vender.

I had a sales person who annoys the poo poo out of me bring in cookies. I was pretty okay with that.

Edit: Had a poo poo morning, then someone calls me to turn on a TV and give me cake in repayment. I'm okay with this.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 11, 2013

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

A vender just came in to the front desk, and the front desk lady called saying there is brats and corn for me. Cooked.

Weird rear end vender.

It would be a heck of a lot more weird if they brought them uncooked.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a call from ISP Tier 2 support came in:

:downs: Hi Blackswordca, This is ISP Tier 2 support calling about your ticket

:eng101: Perfect, did you guys see the packet loss on the two sites?

:downs: Yes. It looks like there is a 10-15% packet loss at each site.

:eng101: Ah ok. So are the modems getting replaced?

:downs: No. We are going reset the counters and get you to call us back when the users are having issues so we can see when the packets are getting dropped

:eng99: ...what?

:downs: we cant confirm there is a problem until we know when the packets are dropping.

:eng99:I have two sites who are unable to do any work because of this. That isn't good enough we need a solution more quickly. The fact that the packets are dropping so badly is sign of a larger problem isnt it?

:downs: I have to do more tests, Ill call you back! *hangs up*

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 11, 2013

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

couldcareless posted:

Doing cleanup and organizing things for next guy is a pain in the rear end.

Do not do this. There isn't enough time to do it properly so whatever you do will be incomplete and the next guy will be mocking your work regardless of what you do, so meh.

Instead you need to be kicking back, saying your goodbyes and "making yourself available as a resource" for people who will be transitioning your workload for you.

You have 2.5 days left. You should be doing nothing that could even be remotely considered "a pain in the rear end".

edit in light of the ending of current jobs: I think I might have posted this already, but in February when I got notice that we were all getting laid off because we'd been bought, my new manager, knowing that I had two weeks left, called me up to tell me that I needed to come in on a Saturday to wrap up a few things. The next words out of my mouth were literally, "Go gently caress yourself." I'd responded reflexively and with rancor and it was the most amazing feeling I've ever had in the workplace. I consider that bridge well and truly burned and I wouldn't change a thing.

Obviously, you are leaving on a good note so please don't do anything like this, but I (still) feel so good about telling my fuckwit manager to go gently caress himself that I had to tell the story again. :)

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 11, 2013

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
Do any of you push power settings with GPO? It's not something we do currently (our factory image comes preset to high performance), but seeing that Intel's focus is now on extremely power efficient processors I think there might be some benefit to be had there. What kind of battery, power cost savings, and problems have you experienced?

  • Locked thread