Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Joke answer that is depressingly true-it's because Decade didn't have a story, let alone a story that could be stretched for 50 episodes. They barely had enough story to stretch 30 and almost all of it was two parters set in AUs of other Rider series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

toomanyninjas posted:

Thought a long-time sentai fan, I'm fairly new to Rider having watched only Fourze and W. I started reading up on Decade after watching the W/Decade movie and I was wondering why Decade was only 30 episodes long? Was it because TOEI wanted to realign to Rider/Sentai schedule and stagger them instead of have series running parallel?

That and (allegedly) a bit of accounting gymnastics to give Decade a 50-episode budget for 30 episodes of content.

But they still found ways to cheap out. loving Kivala puppet on a fishing line :bang:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Decade actually had two stories, but they seemed more interested in telling the stupid one than the interesting one. It's a shame because the bad story they were telling required a lot of cool characters to sit on the sidelines and look concerned/bored.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Does Decade have less plot than Wizard? I was thinking the other day you could probably turn it into thirty episodes.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Just finished the latest Kyolug episode. I didn't see the big reveal coming, but once it happened I felt let down because it just felt like a rehash of Dairanger

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
I don't know if it's a popular opinion but I really did like Den-O. Aside from that I've only seen Decade and a bit of Wizard and I didn't like either of them. I've been meaning to watch Fourze because I've seen bits here and there and it seems really good, just haven't got around to it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

toomanyninjas posted:

Though a long-time sentai fan, I'm fairly new to Rider having watched only Fourze and W. I started reading up on Decade after watching the W/Decade movie and I was wondering why Decade was only 30 episodes long? Was it because TOEI wanted to realign to Rider/Sentai schedule and stagger them instead of have series running parallel?

It's because of that and the fact that the series that was originally gonna air after Kiva, Double ran into some pretty hefty delays so they made Decade to buy time as well as capitalize on the whole 10th Heisei Rider series thing

Edit: also Kivala was taken from a scrapped Kiva idea

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 11, 2013

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Well, I'm glad they took their time with W, then. It was worth it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
For what its worth to the guy who wants to get into rider I'll say what I always say when this comes up. Start with OOOs and then go to W. While that is backwards to chronological order and OOO isn't as good a show its better that way because there's just no topping W and everything you see after that will be a disappointment. I suppose you could substitute either with Kabuto (which is supposedly good but I haven't seen it yet) but I'd definitely avoid Fourze if you are just starting out. The plot is nothing special and the side characters pretty bland but the bullet to the head is that the main hero's biggest selling point is that he doesn't act like a typical modern Kamen Rider. You, never having had to suffer with the generically cool douchebag lead, won't get a lot of benefit from that right off the bat. So its better to wait.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I advise looking at all the main riders for all the Heisei shows and watching whichever looks most appealing first. Then watch W second.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

For what its worth to the guy who wants to get into rider I'll say what I always say when this comes up. Start with OOOs and then go to W. While that is backwards to chronological order and OOO isn't as good a show its better that way because there's just no topping W and everything you see after that will be a disappointment. I suppose you could substitute either with Kabuto (which is supposedly good but I haven't seen it yet) but I'd definitely avoid Fourze if you are just starting out. The plot is nothing special and the side characters pretty bland but the bullet to the head is that the main hero's biggest selling point is that he doesn't act like a typical modern Kamen Rider. You, never having had to suffer with the generically cool douchebag lead, won't get a lot of benefit from that right off the bat. So its better to wait.

Dude already said he's probably not going to watch that many series, why give him the advice of 'watch these other things and THEN watch the stuff that everyone agrees is great'? Like, W was really good yeah, but people really like to hype it up as 'nothing will ever be as good so watch worse shows first' and that just makes no sense to me.

Also Fourze was my third Rider(after W and OOOs) and I seriously doubt my love of Gentaro was tainted or lessened because I didn't earn it by watching the generic douchebag Riders first.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Because "many other" is different from one and nothing KR (or even toku in general) I've seen can live up to W? I didn't say watch other things, I said watch ONE other thing, OOO (or Kabuto,) and then watch W.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 11, 2013

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Having watched W first I agree. Save W for later if you can. Nothing else is the same.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
Watch W whenever you want. You would have to have serious problems with curbing your expectations and appreciating different tones and concepts for what they are if watching W first is going to ruin the whole series for you. This is setting aside that W isn't even going to be every single person's favourite series, although it is really good. W wasn't the first show I watched, but it was the first one I've finished and it was my favourite, and I've still certainly enjoyed Kuuga and Kabuto and OOO and Fourze. I don't think I enjoyed them less than I would have if I hadn't seen W. They're different shows.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I keep reading all these posts about how W would ruin Kamen Rider for you and I am just confused. I wouldn't even rank W in my top three Rider series. Possibly my Top 5, maybe. It's a fun show, sure, but if you want a more serious show, or a show with a heavier lean on the heroes being proactive, or just better villains in general, you have better shows to pick from. I will say it's the best of the newish era of Heisei Riders.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Watch Kabuto first, then Kuuga, then W. You'll have the basic spectrum of tone for the franchise down.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And if you can manage it, Kamen Rider V3 for the old school Riders. Stronger might be easier to get to, but the first 7 episodes are kind of awful.

Kamen Rider Black is this weird show that doesn't really fit with any of the others, partly due to production issues. It's almost more like an Ultraman series, where it does have an underlying plot that is serialized, but it also has a lot of single episode monster of the week stories where the focus is mostly on the monster.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

toomanyninjas posted:

Just finished the latest Kyolug episode. I didn't see the big reveal coming, but once it happened I felt let down because it just felt like a rehash of Dairanger
Yeah, except this wasn't blindingly obvious and it has emotional weight beyond "huh, how 'bout that?" Also in Dairanger that twist was revealed at the very end of Kou and Akumaro's story before the last three or so episodes were entirely about the main 5, whereas here we still have more than 20 episodes to go. They can actually get some emotional weight from this. It isn't the Shinkenger twist by any means, but considering that they're pulling this poo poo at the 30-mark I'm legit hyped to see what they pull out for the endgame.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Hmm, I thought the Dai twist was very shocking, its only drawback was that that character had been pretty boring for his role so maybe people didn't care about it?

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Modern Day Hercules posted:

I don't know if it's a popular opinion but I really did like Den-O. Aside from that I've only seen Decade and a bit of Wizard and I didn't like either of them. I've been meaning to watch Fourze because I've seen bits here and there and it seems really good, just haven't got around to it.

Den-O is pretty fun. It's actually the first Rider series I watched to completion :shobon: series-wise, at least. I still have yet to see ... three of the movies? Four? Bah, the only good ones were the first two, anyway. (Although the second is good in more of a guilty pleasure way.)

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The only real complaint I have about Kyoryuger, is the fact that Violet doesn't fight much. It was especially noticeable in this latest episode when our heroes were getting destroyed and she's no where to be seen. It just seems odd to have her show up in the beginning of the show and not even have an excuse for her not to join the fight.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Toei Japan channel is $20/month.

NOPE.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
'Better' than that, it's more like an actual TV station instead of an on demand service.

So you not only pay 20 a month, you also have no choice over what you watch or when.

Ah-may-zing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'd pay $20 a month if I had streaming access to the entire library, but if I'm locked in to what they happen to be broadcasting at the time, I'd pay maybe $5, tops.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm still considering it. :( Maybe at least to try it for a month. Of course, I have no intention of paying the full 20 dollars by myself for some random Toku and FISHING VISION. If I try it, it'll be by splitting the price as many ways as possible, since the App allows up to 8 devices to be registered. I checked with MyGlobe to make sure this was legal, so now it's just a matter of assembling a team. I already have one, bringing it down to 10 a month, but four people for 5 a month would be ideal.

That said, I don't know why anyone thought it would be like an on demand service. Isn't there a real Toei channel in Japan? I figured this would just be a stream/international access to that, which it seems to be, rather than access to some sort of Toku library.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The belief/hope came from the fact that they mentioned multiple toku series in the announcement, not just the new stuff.

Plus it's just the most sane way to go about it.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
It looks like you also get a Japanese Fishing channel too for that 20 bucks.

We actually already use http://www.wist.tv/ at our house which gives you all the normal over the air Japanese TV channels, but we watch all kinds of Japanese shows like drama and baseball and NHK educational stuff.

The only issue is that it is live streaming from Japanese TV, so everything is on at odd times. I was letting my kid watch TV one rainy Saturday afternoon, and I realized it was some super late night Idol show where they make the girls play games and strip if they lose...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'm still considering it. :( Maybe at least to try it for a month. Of course, I have no intention of paying the full 20 dollars by myself for some random Toku and FISHING VISION. If I try it, it'll be by splitting the price as many ways as possible, since the App allows up to 8 devices to be registered. I checked with MyGlobe to make sure this was legal, so now it's just a matter of assembling a team. I already have one, bringing it down to 10 a month, but four people for 5 a month would be ideal.

That said, I don't know why anyone thought it would be like an on demand service. Isn't there a real Toei channel in Japan? I figured this would just be a stream/international access to that, which it seems to be, rather than access to some sort of Toku library.

I'd possibly be interested in getting in on this. PM me if you want to discuss.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Toei should team up with Hulu. I mean Hulu already has a ton of anime and Korean dramas.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm catching up on Kyoryuger and oh man, the Executioners interrupted the role call! HOW RUDE.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That said, I don't know why anyone thought it would be like an on demand service. Isn't there a real Toei channel in Japan? I figured this would just be a stream/international access to that, which it seems to be,

They've confirmed at least that it absolutely is not this.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

jivjov posted:

I'd possibly be interested in getting in on this. PM me if you want to discuss.

I'm afraid I don't have PMs. :( But I'll keep this in mind, and once I've checked the account stuff out to make sure our credit info and all would be safe, then I'll get back in touch with ya. Easiest email to reach me at is Wilfredo@mail.usf.edu.

AzraelNewtype posted:

They've confirmed at least that it absolutely is not this.
Welp, shows what I know. Either way, I'm still interested. I hope it has commercials. Japanese commercials are awesome.

AgentHaiTo posted:

It looks like you also get a Japanese Fishing channel too for that 20 bucks.

We actually already use http://www.wist.tv/ at our house which gives you all the normal over the air Japanese TV channels, but we watch all kinds of Japanese shows like drama and baseball and NHK educational stuff.

The only issue is that it is live streaming from Japanese TV, so everything is on at odd times. I was letting my kid watch TV one rainy Saturday afternoon, and I realized it was some super late night Idol show where they make the girls play games and strip if they lose...
This sounds really cool! 30 dollars is also steep per month but it sounds like you get a lot with this too. How many channels would you say there are? Have you seen Super Hero Time live? :O

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 12, 2013

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The big thing is no subtitles and prolly never will be.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RBX posted:

The big thing is no subtitles and prolly never will be.

They've actually said that they'll probably start adding subtitles a year in.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah they said if this catches on which I have my doubts.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'm afraid I don't have PMs. :( But I'll keep this in mind, and once I've checked the account stuff out to make sure our credit info and all would be safe, then I'll get back in touch with ya. Easiest email to reach me at is Wilfredo@mail.usf.edu.

Welp, shows what I know. Either way, I'm still interested. I hope it has commercials. Japanese commercials are awesome.

This sounds really cool! 30 dollars is also steep per month but it sounds like you get a lot with this too. How many channels would you say there are? Have you seen Super Hero Time live? :O

Just the 8 basic channels that are over the air in Japan. And yes, we watch Super Hero Time live. It comes on Saturday night, so it's actually easier than waking up super early on Sunday. I don't know how kids do it over there. It does seem expensive, but if we had cable(we are cable cutters), then TVjapan is already like 20 bucks or more additional and you only get NHK.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

AgentHaiTo posted:

Just the 8 basic channels that are over the air in Japan. And yes, we watch Super Hero Time live. It comes on Saturday night, so it's actually easier than waking up super early on Sunday. I don't know how kids do it over there. It does seem expensive, but if we had cable(we are cable cutters), then TVjapan is already like 20 bucks or more additional and you only get NHK.

Thanks for the info! I'd definitely look into this if I didn't have a cable bill, for the Japanese practice as much as it just being cool to be able to watch Japanese TV. If I can ask just one more question, before this gets too derail-y, is it only viewable through their media player/website? I guess if you can hook the pc up to a tv, that would be plenty though. The app side of MyGlobe is a selling point, but this definitely seems like the better deal once I don't have a cable bill to worry about.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Thanks for the info! I'd definitely look into this if I didn't have a cable bill, for the Japanese practice as much as it just being cool to be able to watch Japanese TV. If I can ask just one more question, before this gets too derail-y, is it only viewable through their media player/website? I guess if you can hook the pc up to a tv, that would be plenty though. The app side of MyGlobe is a selling point, but this definitely seems like the better deal once I don't have a cable bill to worry about.

Yes, it's only viewable thru the website, using a flash player. I have a HTPC with a big tv, laptop and tablet, and watch it on all three. They have some kind of dvr option to, but we've never used it. You need to install a scheduler or something.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

New Garo spinoff (6 episodes tv show) starring Zero. Amemiya's on board and so is Ray Fujita. :hellyeah:

Ignis fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yes, okay. When? How much. What TV channel do I need to subscribe to, 60 dollars a month? Okay.

• Locked thread