Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

The only thing that bothers me about that scene is how it stops raining for a while on the Thunder Plains. I mean the game is a walking cliche but for some reason that was just over-the-top nobody-ever-talks-about-it-again for me.

Maybe the defeat of Sin messed up the weather patterns on the planet to the point where in a generation or two nobody will every really understand why the Thunder Plains are called that. Or hell why the most powerful summon of all time was an athlete with dad issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, Final Fantasy would be infinitely more enjoyable if it took itself non-seriously enough to go full on Macross 7 music saves the world.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Man, Final Fantasy would be infinitely more enjoyable if it took itself non-seriously enough to go full on Macross 7 music saves the world.

Wasn't that basically the plot of Final Fantasy the Spirits Within where she needed the tonal frequency to blast away the ghosts?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Wasn't that basically the plot of Final Fantasy the Spirits Within where she needed the tonal frequency to blast away the ghosts?

They didn't do it via synchronized dance number and we have proof they could have. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuFo63OqSO0

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

They didn't do it via synchronized dance number and we have proof they could have. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuFo63OqSO0

I won't lie, I really want a future FF game to have Dr. Aki Ross in it. Especially if the game credits her with a "special guest appearance by" in the titles.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

This was almost worth the film being a dull, uncanny-valley fest. It almost bankrupted Square, didn't it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

This was almost worth the film being a dull, uncanny-valley fest. It almost bankrupted Square, didn't it?

Boy howdy did it ever. They had to sell huge chunks of shares, shutter that division, and it delayed their meger with Enix by several years.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pesky Splinter posted:

"I steal only what I can't afford, One jump ahead of the judges, That's all, and that's no joke; These guys don't appreciate I'm broke! I can take a hint, gotta face the facts; you're my only friend, Penelo!"

"..."

Yeah okay. SE has the disney hook up and they made that sweet rear end Good King Mog song. I think they could have done a musical.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Schwartzcough posted:

Maybe the musical links still work, even.

They certainly should do. I haven't removed any, but maybe the Tindeck links won't work if they auto-remove stuff after so long.

ImpAtom posted:

Even though it's just a DVD bonus, and not at all part of the "real" movie, this is amazing and a good reminder that Square used to be kinda goofy and it was pretty awesome.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah okay. SE has the disney hook up and they made that sweet rear end Good King Mog song. I think they could have done a musical.

Fal'cie Horror Picture Show. The part of Barthandelus will be played by Tim Curry.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I think Square still has their goof muscles, though they should flex those muscles more often.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Fat Turkey posted:

And as someone who never had any overwhelming issue with any bosses from the PS and PS2 era, I refuse to believe lugea is beatable without using two elixirs, and I'm annoyed he seems only beatable if you're a hoarder like mW who never let's them out of my sight.

Lugae is not that hard, my biggest problem with that fight is the fact that I had already burned through a lot of MP by then and had to waste a few turns getting ethers to Rosa and Rydia.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

A lot of people seem to give Good King Mog crap, but I actually kind of thought it was cute and clever. :shobon:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Anyone who hates Good King Moggle-Mog is the same as anyone who hates Crazy Chocobo: A sad robot who doesn't understand fun.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Seriously, anyone who keeps insisting on Nomura/SE making a musical should be drat ashamed of themselves. Just look at this abomination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNKxU9eSrNg

Still think having them make a musical is such a good idea? <:mad:>

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Krad posted:

Seriously, anyone who keeps insisting on Nomura/SE making a musical should be drat ashamed of themselves. Just look at this abomination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNKxU9eSrNg

Still think having them make a musical is such a good idea? <:mad:>

Yes. Things that have come out since then they've done have been much better (Good King Mog) and they wouldn't have to shoe-horn in Disney characters/tone/morals into this theoretical FF Musical.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Copying "This is Halloween" shouldn't really count.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Well, the Final Fantasy Type-O iOS/Android port looks like poo poo salad. Renamed to its original title, Final Fantasy Agito, with touch-to-win battle mechanics.

this also puts the nail in the coffin of the original game ever coming here.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

WeaponBoy posted:

Yeah, by that point you've already missed out on several of the best ones, unfortunately (though if you still have Yang GIVE HIM TWO lovely AUGMENTS DO IT NOW (seriously, do it)). The way it works is that you give one to an ally and when they bail they give you one in return (or they're available in certain locations later on). If you give them two, then they give you three. The 'goal' is to give all the lovely ones to people who will be leaving (or one to Porom, two to Palom to get two apiece from them) and then you can keep the very best ones for Cecil and the end-game crew (I'm not sure if you already know who that is or not).

My general recommendation is to follow this guide even though it can be vaguely spoilery (about characters who join or leave your party): http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/939425-final-fantasy-iv/44570205

Also, yeah, Lugaborg is a huge dick, but I'm usually thorough enough in exploring maps and grabbing poo poo that I'm leveled enough that his Reverse nonsense isn't the end of the world. I don't think I've ever used an Elixir on him, but I'm a hoarder so I might do that in any future playthroughs.

Wow. Thanks for the info. But the game doesn't even hint that ability swap takes place. I've already continued and my squadron of kamikaze dedicated party members have shuffled off. Its funny because I was thinking how useless Edge and his Steal and Throw abilities are compared to Focus and Kick. Have I screwed up the endgame for myself?

I should have been sufficiently levelled up for Lugea, when we picked up Edge he was 4-8 levels behind my party. It helped now I realise all bosses go hyper fast and expect to be slowed even though no other statuses work on them. But his spells still did massive damage to everyone quicker than I could heal, and my party have no problem hitting things normally but can't attack themselves to literally save their life.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fat Turkey posted:

Wow. Thanks for the info. But the game doesn't even hint that ability swap takes place. I've already continued and my squadron of kamikaze dedicated party members have shuffled off. Its funny because I was thinking how useless Edge and his Steal and Throw abilities are compared to Focus and Kick. Have I screwed up the endgame for myself?

A little bit. The endgame becomes brutally, brutally hard thanks to random encounters having been redesigned to crap out massive amounts of damage and augments are often the small edge you need in order to succeed. You can beat the game without them but you've got a tougher road in store.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
That's pretty depressing reading. I'm too far in to really start again. What a silly design, enabling you to screw up your endgame because you didn't take advantage of a mechanic the game didn't even tell you about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fat Turkey posted:

That's pretty depressing reading. I'm too far in to really start again. What a silly design, enabling you to screw up your endgame because you didn't take advantage of a mechanic the game didn't even tell you about.

The FFIV redesign, while not as gut crushingly awful as the FFIII one, was seemingly built from the ground up for people who had already played and mastered vanilla FFIV and who are willing to "waste" limited use items. It's probably faster and more rewarding to get the FFIV GBA game and play that up to where you are because not only is it easier it also lets you make an endgame party out of whoever you want. Plus if you play it on an emulator you can abuse the fast forward button.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Fat Turkey posted:

I should have been sufficiently levelled up for Lugea, when we picked up Edge he was 4-8 levels behind my party. It helped now I realise all bosses go hyper fast and expect to be slowed even though no other statuses work on them. But his spells still did massive damage to everyone quicker than I could heal, and my party have no problem hitting things normally but can't attack themselves to literally save their life.

Yeah, the whole system is really badly explained and once I found out how it works I restarted the game despite being having just beaten Cagnazzo. That said, I love FF4 so I was totally ok with that.

I haven't looked through the list exhaustively, but the big ones you missed out on are Twincast (not essential, but can be very powerful), Fast Talker (let's Rydia cast her high-level spells more than once per decade), Cry (drops enemy defence; so good), Kick (combine with Counter and Draw Attacks on Cecil for silliness), Focus (combine with Dakness to make Cecil a dark paladin god). You should still be able to get Bless and Omnicasting (FuSoYa) which are really useful for late game fights where you need Rosa to be casting shitloads of magic to keep people safe and alive.

One other thing that's kinda neat about FF4DS is learning to use Auto-Battle to gain a sixth combat slot. For example, I keep Cecil equipped with Kick instead of attack, but have Attack slotted into Auto-Battle so if I need him to swing normally I can just tap auto-battle for a few seconds when Cecil is up.

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 12, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fat Turkey posted:

Augments are not actually that necessary. There are several which are useful but the necessity of getting them is severely severely overstated.

The most important thing in the game are status effects, both good and bad. As long as you use those properly you don't need to touch augments. People go "the game is SO HARD without them" but it really isn't. Using spells like Toad, Berserk or Stop can completely cornhole powerful enemies. The most powerful Augments just let you do that better.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Barudak posted:

I won't lie, I really want a future FF game to have Dr. Aki Ross in it. Especially if the game credits her with a "special guest appearance by" in the titles.

Despite the film being a bomb, she was actually a pretty good character and I would like her to return as well.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fat Turkey posted:

It doesn't screw up your endgame though, you don't need to use a single one to beat the game.

The game just rewards you for giving augments to temporary characters.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Fat Turkey posted:

You'll be fine to go on now. What's most important to realize is that non-damage moves can and do matter. Cecil doesn't get Protect and Shell for show in the DS version, and there's a reason they can be multitargeted. Starting off every boss fight with Protect, Shell, and Slow will help loads going forward. Additionally, the most important "Save my rear end" augments are obtained from the final temporary character to join. He'll come with a buttload of different magic and has the move Bless. Give him two Augments you don't see yourself using and you'll obtain his move Bless (neat, but more or less worthless) as well as Omnicasting (multitarget any spell) and Phoenix (revives party when user dies, consumes all MP). Give Omnicasting to Rosa to multitarget Raise, Arise, and Haste, and give Phoenix to one of your party tanks (when you get it, you'll figure out which one). Those will help a lot in the final dungeon-just make sure to pack lots of MP healing items.

I've written all this assuming that the DS version is your first experience with FFIV, although since you're not handing out augments to departing party members it probably isn't. If that's the case, then Fusoya is the one you want to hand a pair of augments to, and Kain the revolving door is the one who should get Phoenix, unless you hate yourself.

When I played the DS version, I didn't really hand out augments to departing party members either, and so didn't have as easy a time as I might have. I still managed to beat the game, though. Just remember that the DS version expects you to use a lot more of the tools at your disposal and you'll be fine. That said, it is a dumb thing to not even hint at handing out Augments. Like, sure, if it's your first time ever you might not fall into that trap, but even then, what first time player would want to give Edward anything?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It'd be cool if the next Dissidia branched out into other FF games, giving us stuff like Ramza/Delita, Benjamin from Mystic Quest, some Crystal Chronicles representation, and even stuff from The Spirits Within, the anime, or even that FF5 movie.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mega64 posted:

It'd be cool if the next Dissidia branched out into other FF games, giving us stuff like Ramza/Delita, Benjamin from Mystic Quest, some Crystal Chronicles representation, and even stuff from The Spirits Within, the anime, or even that FF5 movie.

You're making me long for a sequel* :allears:
I still wish it had included an actual villain campaign, or even made Cosmos into a boss of some description.

*Well, okay, one that isn't essentially a glorified expansion pack.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

The problem with the older games especially is that the characters don't really have many recognizable moves for a fighting game. Other than Cecil and Terra all the characters from the 2D FFs represent the entire gameplay of their respective games (if even that). I mean I could see someone like Agrias being in from Tactics because I can actually remember some of her unique abilities, but Ramza was just a generic swordsman.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

BioMe posted:

The problem with the older games especially is that the characters don't really have many recognizable moves for a fighting game. Other than Cecil and Terra all the characters from the 2D FFs represent the entire gameplay of their respective games (if even that). I mean I could see someone like Agrias being in from Tactics because I can actually remember some of her unique abilities, but Ramza was just a generic swordsman.

I don't know about that. Bartz was a generic swordsman but they made it work anyway, and FFT has jobs in it too.

Like Calculator :getin:

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Silly Voodoo posted:

I don't know about that. Bartz was a generic swordsman but they made it work anyway, and FFT has jobs in it too.

Like Calculator :getin:

Yes, but they've already done the "hey, this character is from a game with a job/customization system" a few times now.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mega64 posted:

I'd be down for having Kuroki Kaze in a Dissida game just so he and Vincent could share fashion tips and get into a brood-off.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Schwartzcough posted:

Are we talking about the original TO? TO was SUPER breakable if you knew what you were doing. Necro/Retissue? Then whatever spell turned a unit into a sword? Or if you want to go for regular, run-of-the-mill broken you had units like Angels and Liches. The only reason I could be bothered to play through Hell Gate was because it was pretty easy to clear an entire map with a single spell before any of the enemies moved. Or for early game, several teleporting ghosts that the enemy literally had no way to kill.

Still, I found TO way more clunky and poorly polished than FFT, and could never get into it the same way. A tiny bit of level difference resulted in a HUGE power discrepancy. I don't remember how it worked exactly, but having a higher level gave you offense and defensive bonuses, while having a lower level gave you offense and defense penalties. So having about a 2 level difference meant the weaker unit was taking twice as much damage and putting out half the offense as they would against an equal-level opponent. And there were a bunch of levels where you had to save a stupid AI ally surrounded by enemies all the way across the map. It was the Riovanes Rooftop, but twice as bad and about 10 times as often.

I was talking about the original's. I still haven't played the PSP version and hopefully they put it on iOS or something.

Necro/Retissue and Snapdragon just broke combat itself, the combat engine was pretty well done. The wt/action system worked out well and while you could necro/retissue to make two godly characters, then snapdragon them in to swords and have Denim turn in to a dual wielding murderbot, combat still wasn't any more broken that FFT. They were about even.

Tactics Ogre overkill:
Give a character the Starion spell(or any offensive dragon magic really, or even forbidden magic if you have the option and feel suicidal), such as an aforementioned necro/retissue character, or someone wielding a snapdragon weapon with all its glorious buffs = every enemy is dead on the first action and you win.

Final Fantasy Tactics overkill:
A Wizard/Priest with math skill, MATK UP, and gear the boosts Holy uses math to hit everything on the battlefield with Holy, kill all but a couple bosses instantly. You only need someone that absorbs Holy or has near-zero Faith and they'll survive and you win.

Mazed posted:

Anyone who hates Good King Moggle-Mog is the same as anyone who hates Crazy Chocobo: A sad robot who doesn't understand fun.

Good King Moggle-Mog is good because it's a blatant copy of a better song.

Mega64 posted:

I'd prefer some Seiken Denetsu and SaGa characters than stuff from TSW or the anime. The Sprite from Secret of Mana and Red/Al-Kaiser from SaGa Frontier for starters.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Here's the trailer for that free to play Agito game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FhDHFr0Kvg

Sure, it may look cool, but I know better by now. :colbert:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Mega64 posted:

I read that as Ramza x Delita and died a little inside.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Gologle posted:

I read that as Ramza x Delita and died a little inside.

Like that's even the weirdest pairing that's been made with FFT characters.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
New LR: FFXIII videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaioCRt4Aww

The end of the video links to the other four area videos. Should help you give a sense of the scale LR will have.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 13, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

New LR: FFXIII videos:

Showing off how the hub teleportation works from The Thirteenth Ark.

The end of the video links to the other four area videos. Should help you give a sense of the scale LR will have.

Well, I can't say I expected that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, uhhh... pretty sure that's not what you meant to link there, bud. Warning to others: Don't click that link, especially if you're at work.

Here is the actual video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaioCRt4Aww