Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Allyn posted:

Yeah it only shows up if your liege is of another religion or if you're a heretic. Oh well. Heir education's your only way out I think :(

Yea... this is what is what I am working on.

Unfortunately I am on child #4. They keep murdering my heirs!

At the very least I was able to institute medium crown authority with catholicism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Is there a decent guide for getting into a Byzantine game on an old gods start? Most guides I found were from 1081.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

uh zip zoom posted:

Is there a decent guide for getting into a Byzantine game on an old gods start? Most guides I found were from 1081.

867 start's pretty easy if you start as the Emperor, just holy war all those little emirates to the east as fast as you can before they start sharing a border with the Abbasids so they don't feel so inclined to join in. If you think you can take them all at once (and I seem to remember I could, so you probably can) then do so -- they'll just join eachother's wars if you don't and you'll end up fighting them all anyway. Also grab Sicily back really early because it's rich as gently caress and your vassal will give you a healthy levy. Then invite claimants to Georgia/Armenia to your court and convert them, then press their claims. As those are both de jure parts of the Byzantine Empire then they'll become your vassals. Once you've done that you'll be plenty big enough to take on whoever you want unless the Abbasids eat all of Egypt and Persia. Press up towards Croatia and grab the rest of Sicily and you're already pretty drat close to your de jure borders, at which point you're probably the biggest person on the map. Then you can go grab the Crimea or Wallachia or Rome or Alexandria or whatever you want, to be honest. The only thing that can really derail you is succession and that's always somewhat random.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I'm having some really weird inheritance poo poo going on in one of my CK2+ games. I'm a king-level vassal of the Byzantine Empire with two kingdom titles (Crimea and Alania) who is currently married to the Queen of Burgundy. All of the kingdom-level titles are Ag-Cog Primogeniture. I was worried I wasn't going to have any offspring between the marriage so I used the pollinate command and got a son. For four years, he was listed properly as the heir to everything--my current character's kingdoms and his wife's kingdom and so on. However, all of the sudden, the game decided that my primary heir was going to be a nephew of mine produced from a matrilineal marriage, who is 18. My character's son is now set to inherit only the Kingdoms of Alania and Burgundy.

I was totally confused by this, so I cheat-stabbed my way through relatives quite a bit. After that weird nephew, his three brothers became my primary heir, followed by my character's sisters. I didn't even get to the point at which my biological son would be my heir. What the gently caress gives? It's like the game forgot he was there, but...only kind of? I have no clue.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Check to see if he became a bishop's heir (or a bishop), or if he somehow became involved with a merchant republic. The game absolutely refuses to allow non-feudal titleholders to inherit kingdoms or empires in almost all circumstances.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
What triggers Liberation Revolts? I notice that NPC empires tend to get them really often, yet I only very rarely do. Are they also based on the '[Blah] is recruiting an army' event like adventurer/host claims?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I think those are just a renaming of the peasant revolts a sufficiently large realm gets every two minutes. If the peasants want to secede, it's called a liberation revolt.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

I think those are just a renaming of the peasant revolts a sufficiently large realm gets every two minutes. If the peasants want to secede, it's called a liberation revolt.

Definitely not, since I still get goddamned peasant revolts all the time as an empire. Further, Liberation Revolts have bigger armies, better troop types, better leaders, and target an entire kingdom. Peasant revolts are much weaker across the board and only target one county.

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
I'm trying to get into this again, and as it turns out I'm still terrible about it. I've got three daughters lying around, and I'm not sure what to do with them. Nobody worth marrying will take a matrilineal marriage, and to my understanding marrying them off in the typical way is going to leave their heirs with claims on my land, which I'm not thrilled about. Am I wrong? What's my move here?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

To be more specific, I believe liberation revolts only happen in de jure provinces of a kingdom-level tile that is not a member of the empire. I've never seen a Liberation revolt happen when the title involved is held by the Emperor or one of his vassals, and I've never seen Liberation revolts for duchies. That said, making or usurping the appropriate title won't actually lower the revolt chance any, it'll just change it to a cultural or religious or peasant revolt instead (and vassals won't automatically clean up certain religious revolts for you, so this can actually be kind of irritating).

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Axeface posted:

I'm trying to get into this again, and as it turns out I'm still terrible about it. I've got three daughters lying around, and I'm not sure what to do with them. Nobody worth marrying will take a matrilineal marriage, and to my understanding marrying them off in the typical way is going to leave their heirs with claims on my land, which I'm not thrilled about. Am I wrong? What's my move here?

As long as you don't marry them off to anybody bigger than you, you're probably safe. Eventually those claims will die out unless they're pressed in war; I've never had any issues with marrying off daughters anyway.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Axeface posted:

Marry them off to powerful distant realms. Even if the AI has a claim on your land they tend not to press it if they dont border you or for Islands are relatively close by. Like if you are King of France or a vassal of France marry your daughter off the the King/Prince of Hungary or something. In return you get an ally you can drag into your wars. You could also just marry them to random courtier who are a part of your court in the hopes you get some awesome offspring out of them that can eventually hold an advisory position or lead an army.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Synnr posted:

Has anyone done like an actual in-depth experiment and breakdown of how the genetics work in the game? The wikis I looked at all have the same text copied around. I'm getting frustrated by the apparent complete randomness of inheritance. Double geniuses really should beget more than 1 genius child out of 11!

I picked up the game again and just want to play Noble Pokemans. I'm up to three generations of geniuses and the last two are also burly as heck as well! I'm not sure I can even add anything more positive so I'm just going to shoot for more generations.

You could also select for beauty as well.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

Okay, so I inherited as my stupid grandson, and proceeded with operation Stab Dad to inherit Galicia (a-c primogeniture) from him. When my plot succeeds, instead of me, his eldest living son, some random rear end in a top hat I'd never heard of got all of his titles, from the kingdom on down. I have no idea how this dude got it; I expanded every last branch of both the dad's dynasty tree and the new king's dynasty tree, and there's no loving overlap. The new king doesn't have any royalty on his entire dynasty tree. He has absolutely no blood relation to any other Galician king. How the gently caress did he inherit? What the gently caress is going on? The game is just loving with me now.

edit: and the claim I inherited is weak :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure I know what happened. Did you gain the title of Emperor of Britannia during that play session? If so that's what did it I think. I know that when my Byzantine Emperor restored the Roman Empire all the inheritances went crazy. You just have to save and restart and it should be fine.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

This game has had some really bizarre stuff :psyduck:

Playing as the Empire of Hispania, take all of Mauritania but can't usurp the title for about a decade. Finally the sultan only has one war left to finish before I can, which is Mali pushing its de jure claim for his only county (why he put his capital there I've no idea). Except he also has a city on the coast way out near Egypt. So when he loses the war, he instantly relocates the city, and as he holds a kingdom-level title he instantly becomes the Muslim trade republic of Mauritania, based out of not-Mauritania. And you can't usurp the primary title of a republic. :psypop:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So I have vassals whose opinion of me drops when I give them land because they're mad about not having direct control of bishoprics and cities within the county they were given. Is this supposed to happen?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

So I have vassals whose opinion of me drops when I give them land because they're mad about not having direct control of bishoprics and cities within the county they were given. Is this supposed to happen?

Tick "include lower titles" when giving them the county. Or manually generate new vassals for the baronies (right click the holding and click the one in the bottom left, or click them and press v if you use Arumba's keyboard shortcuts mod) and they'll auto-transfer when you hand it out. If you are doing one of these things already then, uh, no it probably shouldn't be happening. You can go to the diplomacy page for the count and use the transfer vassal option regardless so it's not a big deal, just frustrating.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, when you give a person land, they expect to own everything in it. I tend to just tranfer the vassalage of the holdings to them too, as either way you're still getting tax and levies.

--

Is it worth holding a castle for myself and upgrading the crap out of it?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I have a huge -30 breaking feudal obligation penalty and no idea what I did to incur it. :confused:

How long is that gonna last?

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.

Charlz Guybon posted:

I have a huge -30 breaking feudal obligation penalty and no idea what I did to incur it. :confused:

Have you assassinated any vassals recently? :colbert:

(And did you get caught?)

That seems to be the cause of that modifier, which is apparently event-driven. I don't know how long it lasts; regular tyranny is 10 years, but this is a unique modifier. You'd have to read the event file to know for sure.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Glass Hand posted:

Have you assassinated any vassals recently? :colbert:

(And did you get caught?)

That seems to be the cause of that modifier, which is apparently event-driven. I don't know how long it lasts; regular tyranny is 10 years, but this is a unique modifier. You'd have to read the event file to know for sure.

I got a message saying some random guy was hiring mercenaries to enforce a claim on my land. He wasn't my vassal, he wasn't even landed or of my dynasty. Going back through my screenshots it seems that Duke of Syria show this as proof that I broke feudal obligations with a vassal. Seems like it's a bug.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

I got a message saying some random guy was hiring mercenaries to enforce a claim on my land. He wasn't my vassal, he wasn't even landed or of my dynasty. Going back through my screenshots it seems that Duke of Syria show this as proof that I broke feudal obligations with a vassal. Seems like it's a bug.

If the guy really was random and had no connection to you or your vassals than perhaps it is, though it may be more likely that he's related to you or your vassals somehow and the event isn't limited just to vassals. Again, reading the event file would probably help to clear things up, though I don't know in which file you'd find it.

It seems to be a pretty rare event. It's never happened to me, despite assassinating vassals all the time; I'm only aware of the modifier from what other people have posted.

I can never seem to plot-kill adventurers and claimants-with-armies, and spending 300 gold on a mediocre chance of diplo-killing them looks like a bad deal, particularly when I can hire mercenaries for a lot less than that. Unless the attack is really poorly timed, after my levies are exhausted from a tough war, I can often deal with it myself and only rarely need to grab a mercenary band or call in an ally.

Actually, the last claimant who attacked me remained in my court after I released him (I was feeling kind), and now he's my loyal marshal (there are apparently no opinion maluses for "he thwarted my attack"). Some adventurers carry big stacks of cash with them and can be very profitably banished once defeated and captured. The mechanic is annoying sometimes, but can be played for an advantage occasionally.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
I had a weird period of time where people in my own court and relatives were assembling private armies against me. Where this was happening with what money, I don't know.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
The adventurers are interesting for flavour but it is more than a little bizarre when an unlanded courtier suddenly has an army larger than the combined levies of his liege.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

evenworse username posted:

The adventurers are interesting for flavour but it is more than a little bizarre when an unlanded courtier suddenly has an army larger than the combined levies of his liege.
Also when you smash his host, imprison him, and he still has more money in his pockets than a king earns in a year.

Not that I'm complaining. I think I built half of Kiev out of adventurer cash.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm also a bit frustrated by the fact that, and maybe I'm wrong here, I'd see landed characters in my realm (Like a Scottish Duke) raise an adventuring army and go off and conquer land in friggin' Georgia or something, which is then added to their (and thus MY) realm. I don't WANT land on the Black Sea, I'm Brittania, and I can't release it because that would release a quarter of Scotland.

Seems to me that only unlanded characters with a poor chance to inherit anything should become adventurers and then they become independent realms. I sort of thought that was the idea, but I swear I've seen my Dukes raising a host to go off and conquer Bumfuckganistan on the other side of the map.

Futhermore, I wish they'd add some mechanic back in that makes it hard/nearly impossible to manage a disconnected chunk of land on the other side of the map. With, perhaps, it getting easier the bigger your empire and the higher your title. It should really get handed off to someone in the conqueror's family bloodline and become independent.

EDIT: It's just so weird to get an alert that there's a peasant revolt in Constantinople, and you zoom out, and you're like "WHAT THE gently caress?! I OWN CONSTANTINOPLE?! How the hell did that happen?" Then you notice all the weird places adventureres from your realm have conquered in your name, and you weep for the ugly, ugly buckshot borders.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 11, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Fintilgin posted:

I'm also a bit frustrated by the fact that, and maybe I'm wrong here, I'd see landed characters in my realm (Like a Scottish Duke) raise an adventuring army and go off and conquer land in friggin' Georgia or something, which is then added to their (and thus MY) realm. I don't WANT land on the Black Sea, I'm Brittania, and I can't release it because that would release a quarter of Scotland.

Seems to me that only unlanded characters with a poor chance to inherit anything should become adventurers and then they become independent realms. I sort of thought that was the idea, but I swear I've seen my Dukes raising a host to go off and conquer Bumfuckganistan on the other side of the map.

Futhermore, I wish they'd add some mechanic back in that makes it hard/nearly impossible to manage a disconnected chunk of land on the other side of the map. With, perhaps, it getting easier the bigger your empire and the higher your title. It should really get handed off to someone in the conqueror's family bloodline and become independent.

EDIT: It's just so weird to get an alert that there's a peasant revolt in Constantinople, and you zoom out, and you're like "WHAT THE gently caress?! I OWN CONSTANTINOPLE?! How the hell did that happen?" Then you notice all the weird places adventureres from your realm have conquered in your name, and you weep for the ugly, ugly buckshot borders.

Are you norse? They could be doing prepared invasions which is something separate from being an adventurer. Even if they're catholic they could be getting an invasion cb from the Pope (but I've never actually seen that happen).

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Reveilled posted:

Are you norse? They could be doing prepared invasions which is something separate from being an adventurer. Even if they're catholic they could be getting an invasion cb from the Pope (but I've never actually seen that happen).

Oh yeah, I'm reformed norse. Is that it? I admit, I haven't seen the same behavior with my Catholic Italy Empire.

Seems like they should still be independent. If a bunch of Vikings set sail from Britain, head to Egypt and conquer Alexandria to set up their own realm (happened in my game), they should probably be a rowdy, independent new state, not still swearing fealty to me back in Britain.

They should leave their British holdings with their family there and set up a new line/realm whereever they conquer.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also nice when all of a sudden you get a pop-up you weren't expecting saying you can create/usurp a title because some vassals actually did something useful.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

"Sire, two messages just arrived for you. First message is as follows: "Peasants in Constantinople have risen in revolt" Second message is: "Your cousin Bjorn has taken over Constantinople."

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Glass Hand posted:

Actually, the last claimant who attacked me remained in my court after I released him (I was feeling kind), and now he's my loyal marshal (there are apparently no opinion maluses for "he thwarted my attack"). Some adventurers carry big stacks of cash with them and can be very profitably banished once defeated and captured. The mechanic is annoying sometimes, but can be played for an advantage occasionally.

Nowadays I'm quite happy if I get the "so and so is raising an army" message. As long as you can keep a handle on things and not go to war for a little while, adventurers are just tons of money headed your way. It's better than raiding.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Of course, sometimes a claimant popping up with an army is indicative of deeper family or marital issues. I can't help but think that this could have been avoided with a good therapist.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, I kind of regret having absolute crown authority because no free effort conquests.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Think I'm giving up on my current CK2 game that began as me being one of the bigger territories in Scandinavia with the Old Gods start. Taught me a lot of things but it's just kind of gotten really gruelling to play all of a sudden after finding myself now in England. Being owned by Sweden is no fun :(

Any hope of breaking free or taking over haven't yet worked but after playing about 300 years so far it's probably best for me to go for a fresh start using what I've learnt. Longest game of CK2 I've played so far. Lots of highs and lows and, until crown authority laws started to get raised, it was fun collecting titles and almost managing to be the main power in Sweden owned Scandinavia.

Maybe I should just try for the standard start than trying Old Gods all the time since I'm still 'new'? (Even if it says I've played 40 hours I still really suck at the game!)

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

poo poo in an effort to get my wife/friend's love for my ambition I ordered the assassination of her lover... who turned out to also be my rival and her brother. And I was discovered.

drat, that murdered close kin thing made this backfire..

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I promised my daughter I'd find her a husband and then sort of forgot about it. So when she came back to remind me, apparently I just found some random fella to be her husband. Literally:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Glass Hand posted:

If the guy really was random and had no connection to you or your vassals than perhaps it is, though it may be more likely that he's related to you or your vassals somehow and the event isn't limited just to vassals. Again, reading the event file would probably help to clear things up, though I don't know in which file you'd find it.

It seems to be a pretty rare event. It's never happened to me, despite assassinating vassals all the time; I'm only aware of the modifier from what other people have posted.

His mother was of my dynasty though he wasn't, but that was the only connection to me, he wasn't a close relative. He was just some unlanded courier/adventurer. The message box said the Duke of Syria had proof I killed a vassal, and he wasn't.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Reveilled posted:

I promised my daughter I'd find her a husband and then sort of forgot about it. So when she came back to remind me, apparently I just found some random fella to be her husband. Literally:

"Daaa~~~addyy, I'm like 25 years old already and you promised to find my a husband last yearrrrrr."
"Okay, darling, how about... mm... that fella over there!"
:gonk: "EHHHH!?"
"Awww daddy!" :swoon:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had to look at that screenshot for a long time to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Got back into CK2+ now that patching is stable and the continuation dudes seem to be headed in the right direction:

Anyone got some tips for early game in CK2+ as a multi-count? With the heavy nerf to fabricating claims(my 18 diplomat has been unsuccessful for 50+ years) I'm having a really hard go of expanding. Expansion via pressing claims is very limited until I become a duke because everyone will be the same titular level as me, and therefore become independent. I've tried to butter up to the kings and always side with them in civil wars hoping I might get some free hand outs, but so far only tax breaks. I busy my time being a general nuisance to all the mega dukes, embezzling and long term marriage dynasty planning but I need more. Once I clutch that duke title I'll be satisfied, I'm sure!(until I don't like the king of course)

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 12, 2013

• Locked thread