Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Shameless crossposting from the Miniatures Painting and Modeling thread.

I finally put all my painted Skorne out in one place, I think they look pretty spiffy in a group shot. Please excuse the awful phone pics.

Not pictured and unpainted: At least one of every other solo, beast, warlock and/or unit in the entire range (and many multiples) :negative:

Well that's not entirely true. I have the Mammoth's base:

And his head and right arm totally done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I proxied the Obstructors and Reductors tonight under Axis' theme list. Reductors didn't accomplish much, but that was more the fault of running against Circle and having nearly every target being DEF 14 and not having access to Flare.

The Obstructors, however, took down a Feral, a Gorax, then killed Kromac with free strikes when he went after my caster. Never underestimate the power of a cheap vanilla reach unit, especially when they have access to respawning.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Devout: yay or nay?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Devout: yay or nay?

I like the idea of running him with Harbinger, the easy-to-shoot warcaster you absofuckingutely don't want shot.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I'll proxy it with my repenter.

I've always thought Trenchers looked cool. People seem to hate on them because they're over-costed. Not worth it? They seem like the Cygnar equivalent to the WGDS.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I'll proxy it with my repenter.

I've always thought Trenchers looked cool. People seem to hate on them because they're over-costed. Not worth it? They seem like the Cygnar equivalent to the WGDS.

They're really nothing like the WGDS. Trenchers are probably at their best as min units dropping smoke clouds. Their main problem is that they just don't offer any particularly interesting capability to Cygnar. Cygnar doesn't need yet another infantry unit that shoots the hell out of other infantry. They can be effective with deadeye/snipe but then so can literally anything else, and you won't be paying 13 points for the privilege.

The big thing about the death star is that the full package is 10-13 points depending on how many rocketeers you want while you're paying a point a man from the start for Trenchers. They have a zillion things they can do but most of them aren't compelling for the price of the package. The WGDS can pretty much put out any kind of attack you want and do it very effectively. Not only that but they have the ability to really stack defense and/or be tough.

Trencher Commandos are actually quite good at killing infantry in melee but Cygnar never really needed that much help with infantry.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Also, Trolls finally get fury management! In the form of a 3 point Slugger UA :arghfist::mad:

I'd almost consider running Sluggers with that guy. Put them into an eGrim list and get 5' of free movement and still aim, not bad.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
The Cyriss Battle Engine is such a badass model. It was easily my MVP of the game tonight. I think it had a 20 model body count? So good!

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
For Saturday's game night, I realized I would be able to put a fully painted and based army on the table, so I put it out to snap a picture beforehand.

The feeling of seeing these miniatures and knowing "I created that" is something no other hobby I know can give. You sink a lot of time into painting and modelling, but all the time and effort shows on the table.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Luebbi posted:

For Saturday's game night, I realized I would be able to put a fully painted and based army on the table, so I put it out to snap a picture beforehand.

The feeling of seeing these miniatures and knowing "I created that" is something no other hobby I know can give. You sink a lot of time into painting and modelling, but all the time and effort shows on the table.

Grats man! I know how excited I'll be when I get the last 6 models for my 1st 35pt. list done (two warbeasts in there though :()

One question: Why paint the arc on the Journeyman Warcaster (I think) like that as opposed to 90 degrees to the side? I get that he's facing that way, but so is the Tempest Gunmage officer and you painted his arc the other way? Not a big deal or anything, just a little detail that caught my eye.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Karnegal posted:

Grats man! I know how excited I'll be when I get the last 6 models for my 1st 35pt. list done (two warbeasts in there though :()

One question: Why paint the arc on the Journeyman Warcaster (I think) like that as opposed to 90 degrees to the side? I get that he's facing that way, but so is the Tempest Gunmage officer and you painted his arc the other way? Not a big deal or anything, just a little detail that caught my eye.

No real reason, back when I painted him I wanted to use his true facing, but regretted it later because it just looks a bit strange on the table. So for the Dude, I painted the front arc using the front of the model instead of where he was looking.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Luebbi posted:

No real reason, back when I painted him I wanted to use his true facing, but regretted it later because it just looks a bit strange on the table. So for the Dude, I painted the front arc using the front of the model instead of where he was looking.

You can pretty easily adjust it by painting the base black and redrawing the arc.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Excelsiortothemax posted:

The Cyriss Battle Engine is such a badass model. It was easily my MVP of the game tonight. I think it had a 20 model body count? So good!

Sweet, what caster were you running it with?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Paper Kaiju posted:

Sweet, what caster were you running it with?

Iron Mother Directrix - WJ: +4
- Exponent Servitors
- Mitigator - PC: 4
- Corollary - PC: 3
- Assimilator - PC: 8
- Monitor - PC: 8
- Cipher - PC: 9
Transfinite Emergence Projector - PC: 9
Attunement Servitors - PC: 2
Optifex Directive - Leader & 2 Grunts: 2
Perforators - Leader & 4 Grunts: 9

That was my list I ran against last night vs two opponents. In the first on the BE did die to Forgeguard but not before taking an entire unit out by itself. The second game it disintegrated a unit of long gunners that got way to close.

I find that supporting it with at least one Attunement Servitor is all you really need. I used the Perforators as well for added damage against heavies.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Luebbi posted:

Just noticed that discrete single white line on the back of the arc indicators to show who is the unit NCO. Classy!

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Otisburg posted:

Just noticed that discrete single white line on the back of the arc indicators to show who is the unit NCO. Classy!

Thanks, gotta add them to the gunmages, I painted those up before I had that idea :)

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Played two 50 pt league games today with Cyriss. Both of them allowing my opponent to pick my caster.

First one he picked Aurora and she got a caster kill first turn of round 2.

Second he picked Axis. He failed his assassination run leaving his caster right next to Axis. Between his fury and high defense, I did exactly enough on my last hit. It was pretty close.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Anyone have any photos of alt Menoth and Cygnar schemes they'd care to share photos of?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Bane me baby :h:

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

omnibobb posted:

Second he picked Axis. He failed his assassination run leaving his caster right next to Axis. Between his fury and high defense, I did exactly enough on my last hit. It was pretty close.

The annoying thing about Axis is that MAT 7 POW 14 just below the threshold of a reliable threat to other warnouns; his only asset is volume of attacks. It kind of feels like playing Kromac, only with 1 less MAT than his beast form, no Reach, and often having to spend a bunch of focus to get where he needs to be (Onslaught, Unstoppable Force, and Beat Back attacks, vs. Kromac's natural Pathfinder, higher SPD, and Jump).

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Dumb question, but what do the rest of you do with the plastic blister packs from buying models and such? I haven't trashed any of them since I started a little over a year ago - just put them in a box. Are they recyclable or should they just go in the garbage?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Dumb question, but what do the rest of you do with the plastic blister packs from buying models and such? I haven't trashed any of them since I started a little over a year ago - just put them in a box. Are they recyclable or should they just go in the garbage?

I cut them into cups and use those to mix washes for big wash sessions.

Vosenbergen
Jan 26, 2013

My only ingredients are HATE, VITRIOL, and FLUFFY BUNNIES

theironjef posted:

I cut them into cups and use those to mix washes for big wash sessions.

Seriously, where the hell were you when I picked up this hobby a decade ago...I feel like a godsdamned idiot now because I never thought of that

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Vosenbergen posted:

Seriously, where the hell were you when I picked up this hobby a decade ago...I feel like a godsdamned idiot now because I never thought of that

Well feel like a champ for having the forethought to save them instead!

Also I like Axis, he's not a Terminus or an Aurora who wants to close and kill the enemy himself, even though the hammers and the general demeanor of the model look that way. Between the feat, the counter-charge, Bulldoze, Iron Aggression, a wall, and Battering Ram, I think he's really just a pure control caster hiding in a tough guy suit of armor. Load him up with inverters, small-based recycling infantry, and a ton of reflex servitors and watch your opponent surrender table for fear of 13-14 counter-charging models.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I like using the foam inserts as wet palettes. They work out pretty well for that.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I think my main problem with Axis right now is that I haven't played him in a scenario yet. Despite being in a competitive focused meta, lately I keep ending up with opponents who don't want to play scenario because they're still learning their faction or caster. Which is annoying because I am ALSO learning my caster, and want to play scenario because that appears to be what he's better at.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Paper Kaiju posted:

I think my main problem with Axis right now is that I haven't played him in a scenario yet. Despite being in a competitive focused meta, lately I keep ending up with opponents who don't want to play scenario because they're still learning their faction or caster. Which is annoying because I am ALSO learning my caster, and want to play scenario because that appears to be what he's better at.

It's exactly what he's about. Imagine trying to take an objective away from Axis and a bunch of Counter-Charge Inverters while trying to clear out recycling shield-wall Obstructors from the other one. All the while the middle of the table is covered in aggressive land mines.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How the gently caress do I make a 50pt Kallus list? I haven't played this game in so drat long. Beasts? Infantry spam? that seems to be a bit of a trap?

Legionnaires, Warspears? Can any Goons help?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Flipswitch posted:

How the gently caress do I make a 50pt Kallus list? I haven't played this game in so drat long. Beasts? Infantry spam? that seems to be a bit of a trap?

Kallus is a melee infantry spammer through and through. Legionnaires and even swordsmen can benefit quite a lot from him.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I keep seeing people on the PP forums saying that Defensive Strike 'sucks now'. What's wrong with it?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Flipswitch posted:

Legionairres, swordsmen, pot, ravagore, Scythian, fill rest out to taste. I've heard good things about warspears too.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Next week is Tier list week and I'm going up against the NQ Calandra T3 list with Axis's T4 list.

My opponent has said he is not going to use the MK and just going to flood the field with elemental light trolls, Warders and Kriel Stones.

I think I have a list that should give it a run for its money:

Axis, the Harmonic Enforcer - WJ: +6
- Corollary - PC: 3
- Inverter - PC: 8
- Conservator - PC: 7
- Inverter - PC: 8
- Galvinizer - PC: 3

Enigma Foundry - PC: 3

Obstructors - Leader & 9 Grunts: 6
Optifex Directive - Leader & 2 Grunts: 2
Reductors - Leader & 9 Grunts: 6
- Transverse Enumerator - PC: 2
Clockwork Angels - Leader & 2 Grunts: 3

My plan is send the Angels up the flank that the Kriels are on and CRA them to death.

My Obstructors/Reductor force take one zone with the Conservator back up and Enigma Foundry/Galvinizer support while Axis and the Inverters handle another zone.

My thoughts on it that it will be my ability to keep my Foundries alive and functional to run down his Warders, while repairing my jacks as they make their way slowly up the field to smash his warbeasts. I'm hoping that I can get the alpha with my feat and kill or injury most of his tougher warders.

Thoughts or opinions?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Flipswitch posted:

Bring at least one Afflictor. The Animus is custom designed for Kallus. It's a pretty nifty little light as well, Reach and Flight are never bad.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Thoughts or opinions?

I'd drop a Foundry and put an Enumerator on the Obstructors. They can really use Ranked Attack, the minifeat timed with Axis' feat can wreck a heavy, and I feel the fourth Foundry is probably excessive.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
The Obstructors don't really need it since when I declare spray attacks the Reductors will be right behind them. Since they will be fighting medium bases ill be able to shoot with impunity. Ill auto miss on friendlies and can still shoot at enemy dudes.

I think ill need that many due to Electro leap shenanigans. I suspect many robo soldiers will die, only brought back to life again.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

The plastic packs from the large kits are also perfect for holding all your tokens.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Vosenbergen posted:

Let me guess, no one told you about holding paint in medicine pill blisters either :v:

(just tape them over, they'll be good for a few days)

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

Kallus, Wrath of Everblight5
==Naga Nightlurker5
==Shredder2
==Ravagore10
Blighted Ogrun Warspears (Leader and 4 Grunts)8
==Warspear Chieftan2
Blighted Ogrun Warspears (Leader and 4 Grunts)8
==Warspear Chieftan2
Gatormen Posse (Leader and 4 Grunts)9
Gatormen Posse (Leader and 4 Grunts)9

Vosenbergen
Jan 26, 2013

My only ingredients are HATE, VITRIOL, and FLUFFY BUNNIES

Paper Kaiju posted:

You definitely need to find players who will play scenario with you...when I first started playing Warmahordes My small group of friends and I just went with pure caster kill and a lot of my Khador casters just couldn't deal with things like Kara Sloane, eHaley, etc. and my Cryx casters were basically only using about half of their skillsets most of the time

Scenario helps people learn their casters much better than just caster kill, because even an assassination based caster can win an objective game...but a scenario focused caster is going to get rocked by an assassin every time in a pure caster kill game, which can lead to much frustration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I keep seeing people on the PP forums saying that Defensive Strike 'sucks now'. What's wrong with it?

Don't know. Vlad2 against anything Cryx is awesome because of it. PP forums can get pretty wild if you nahmean :spergin:

• Locked thread