Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Of course, all these functions are pretty easy if you understand the octonionic exponentials they're really based on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
But If We Started Dating It Would Ruin Our Friendship Where I Ask You To Do Things And You Do Them

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Oh god, I can sense the fedora on the guy who wrote this one. I feel it in my bones.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
This is an oldie but a goodie at least to me. An Onion article about my alma mater:

High School Senior Amazed by Coolness of University of Wisconsin-Whitewater

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
It's about goddamn time: Report: National Average Now 604

mystes
May 31, 2006

I suppose the point is that they leave out the average what, to stand in for SAT scores or nobel prizes or whatever you'd like, but I'm imagining this being literally just a "national average," produced by a poll where they simply call people and ask them to pick a number and then take the average, and then the media speculate about the meaning of the result as if it's the stock market or some form of augury or something.

mystes has a new favorite as of 17:02 on Sep 10, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, first Miley Cyrus then this.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
http://www.theonion.com/articles/john-kerry-costs-us-defense-industry-400-billion,33815

Is Tough Season any good?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Apple Unveils Panicked Man With No Ideas

:drat:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

All on Black posted:

Oh god, I can sense the fedora on the guy who wrote this one. I feel it in my bones.

To be fair that article is ancient and pre dates Internet nice guys by a long shot. It's also drat funny.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
John Kerry Costs U.S. Defense Industry $400 Billion

I was joking about this with my friend yesterday too

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

quote:

Industry sources reported that while many loyal Apple customers were largely unenthusiastic about the panicked man, they remained quite happy with the previous model, discontinued in 2011.

Holy poo poo.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

NESguerilla posted:

To be fair that article is ancient and pre dates Internet nice guys by a long shot. It's also drat funny.

I'm pretty sure there were Internet nice guys in 2009. It is funny though.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

A Terrible Person posted:

I know this type of article isn't exactly unheard of from The Onion, but... does anyone else think they're becoming more frequent? It's almost as though their most over-the-top articles have been coming true so often that they've jumped straight into Eldritch terror so as to avoid being prophetic.

I guess I'll sit here rocking quietly while I await Blood...Blood Everywhere becoming reality.

That article is from 2008.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

No guys the Onion used to be irreverent and quirky and it's suddenly got dark and weird and this is a new recent thing.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/bosnian-child-makes-fun-art-project-with-mothers-s,20577/

http://www.theonion.com/articles/the-packers-rule-vs-for-500-years-my-people-have-b,11561/

Pryor on Fire has a new favorite as of 01:56 on Sep 11, 2013

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

zakharov posted:

I have been reading about the Onion going downhill since about 2002.

I swear back in '98 I read an article in the New York Press (a now-defunct competitor to the Village Voice) about how the Onion was getting worse by going on the Internet instead of being print-only. Maybe someday I'll find it archived somewhere. (And probably discover I remembered it wrong.)

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There are mountains of articles from insert prestigious newspaper/magazine talking about how horrible and low quality online content X is from the 90s and early 00s. I remember one editorial in the NY Times that said it's too easy to make a typo in a CMS therefore web sites will always have too many errors to be taken seriously. Seriously.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Here's my favourite 9/11 related article, from last year.

18-Year-Old Fighting In Afghanistan Has 9/11 Explained To Him By Older Soldier

I am torn on whether or not to blank-post the picture of the 9/11 Subway deal on my Facebook wall tomorrow, or if I should just go into a Subway with a printed off version of it. Do you think they'd honour it? :v: Maybe it depends on the franchisee.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Totally Hot Chick Also Way Psycho

i thought this version is similar, but less fedora.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Physics Teacher's Car Accident Would've Made Perfect Example For Class

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Man Looking Up At Tall Building Thinking About, You Know

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Rudy Giuliani Suddenly Realizes He’s Been Grinning During Entire 9/11 Ceremony

:sbahj:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Holy poo poo. This is amazing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

All on Black posted:

I'm pretty sure there were Internet nice guys in 2009. It is funny though.

I could be wrong but I think it's an old print article that got posted to the Internet in 2009. Unless I am mistaken I think I remember reading it in a print version 10+ years ago.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Every loving line is gold.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I really like this one; it could have been done about a bunch of different mascots.

Marketing Department Under Impression Keebler Elves A Beloved Part Of American Culture

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Oh god, this one is hilariously dark. College Freshman Honors Dead Roommate’s Memory By Solemnly Eating All His Food

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

A few of my favorites:

Stoner Architect Drafts All-Foyer Mansion

Typo In Proposition 8 Defines Marriage As Between 'One Man And One Wolfman'

Banjo Player Sought In Hootenanny Spree

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

quote:

Though the spontaneous acts of bluegrass have been characterized as "hell-raisin'," they have yet to cause significant injury, aside from damage inflicted on numerous brooms and washtubs converted into bass fiddles, and dozens of pairs of spoons bent while being repurposed as percussive aids.

:3:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Garrison Keillor Fully Deflates After Massive Sigh

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Leofish posted:

Here's my favourite 9/11 related article, from last year.

18-Year-Old Fighting In Afghanistan Has 9/11 Explained To Him By Older Soldier

I am torn on whether or not to blank-post the picture of the 9/11 Subway deal on my Facebook wall tomorrow, or if I should just go into a Subway with a printed off version of it. Do you think they'd honour it? :v: Maybe it depends on the franchisee.
http://www.salon.com/2013/09/12/subway_store_honors_the_onions_fake_911_coupon/singleton/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Finally.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hahaha. In a perfect world this wouldn't be an Onion article.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

NESguerilla posted:

Hahaha. In a perfect world this wouldn't be an Onion article.

From his name and face I didn't recognize him at all, but then I googled it and as soon as I heard the word Wobegon I got the joke.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
10 Jaw-Dropping Moments From The Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Video

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Hmm, I wonder if the Onion has something against Pennsylvania?
http://www.theonion.com/articles/visiting-gore-calls-pennsylvania-a-hellhole,294/

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Carrie Underwood Releases Complex, Multi-Part Prog Rock–Inspired ‘Sunday Night Football’ Theme Song

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The title alone is awesome:

10 Reasons Falling For Shameless Click Bait Makes You A Bad Mother

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'm Sorry, But There Was Almost Nothing Else We Could Have Done

quote:

Your father—or grandfather, was he? Whatever, anyway, that guy's wounds were extensive. His spleen ruptured en route to the hospital, and his internal bleeding was a real hassle to control. Dr. Juzwiak and I operated for almost three hours, on and off, and although we exhausted a good, I'd say, 75 percent of the options we had, the damage to his heart was simply too severe.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this. But there was only so much that his insurance plan covered.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Location of newest mass shooting revealed

quote:

WASHINGTON—After less than two months of waiting, the nation was informed this morning that the location of America’s latest mass shooting is a navy yard. “It’s a navy yard in Washington, D.C.,” a federal law enforcement official said during a press conference, adding that U.S. citizens should envision the typical scenes of chaos and bloodshed they’ve become familiar with, but this time imagine them happening in a navy yard.