Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Do ranchers need empty space in front of them? If not you could just use stronger range upgrades and put the power lines between the ranchers and the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Are Technic and Tekkit being updated to the latest Minecraft anytime soon?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Doubtful. Some of the flagship mods aren't updated and probably won't be for a while.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Fruit Chewy posted:

If you're at all comfortable in linux (or willing to learn) then you can get a nice VPS from Ramnode (promo code LEB35 for permanent 35% off) or DigitalOcean and roll your own server. I'm running a couple smallish servers with huge custom mod packs, one dynmapped, a mumble server, and web hosting for the pack downloads on a $20 server from Ramnode.

I don't know Linux at all, but I'm not averse to learning.

Cantorsdust posted:

For MFR-magical crop compatibility, it depends on the two versions. From my group of mods, I can say with certainty that the most recent MFR, 2.6.4-975, works with an older version of magical crops, 1.5.1.2.1.0. I saw in the magical crops thread that the newest version of magical crops doesn't work with MFR, and the mod author says that's on MFR's end to fix. Since powercrystals is nowhere to be found, you're probably better off updating MFR to its most recent version, and then keeping magical crops at a version that works with MFR. I'm going to see later tonight which is the most recent version that works with MFR.

The most recent one that works with MFR should be the last of version 2 (MagicalCrops1.5.1.2.1.2a). Version 3 broke the compatibility, something I raised with them at the time, and was told to talk to PC about it. Which, honestly, I think is a little backwards. But it's why I haven't touched version 3. I have enough trouble with Natura crops not all working properly, I don't need MC being a pain, too.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Serifina posted:

I don't know Linux at all, but I'm not averse to learning.

The most recent one that works with MFR should be the last of version 2 (MagicalCrops1.5.1.2.1.2a). Version 3 broke the compatibility, something I raised with them at the time, and was told to talk to PC about it. Which, honestly, I think is a little backwards. But it's why I haven't touched version 3. I have enough trouble with Natura crops not all working properly, I don't need MC being a pain, too.

Thanks for saving me time tonight, then!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Cantorsdust posted:

For MFR-magical crop compatibility, it depends on the two versions. From my group of mods, I can say with certainty that the most recent MFR, 2.6.4-975, works with an older version of magical crops, 1.5.1.2.1.0. I saw in the magical crops thread that the newest version of magical crops doesn't work with MFR, and the mod author says that's on MFR's end to fix. Since powercrystals is nowhere to be found, you're probably better off updating MFR to its most recent version, and then keeping magical crops at a version that works with MFR. I'm going to see later tonight which is the most recent version that works with MFR.

Ahhh, we're running MFR 2.6.4-975 and magical crops 1.5.1.2.1.2a, which looks to be the newest "old download/version".

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Alkydere posted:

Yup, been testing it msyelf in creative. While the Dye-farm is probably the most absurdly productive for a bio-reactor, it's not feasable for automation. Neither the MFR harvester nor the entire multifarm system works with the dye.

A pumpkin/melon farm, on the other hand, can do quite well with an auto-crafter turning pumpkins and melons into seeds.

Finally a squid-reactor is obscene. The ranchers spit out ink sacs as fast as they can, which is ever so slightly faster than a bioreactor can empty itself out. What's even better is you can surround a tank with multiple ranchers. If it weren't for the fact that there would be no room for the power lines, you could make the entire tank out of ranchers and make so much loving ink.

I have a dye farm feeding a bioreactor on the server right now. It's not being used for all inputs but it's perfectly feasible with ME alone, maybe logistics pipes too.

Ink is definitely the best :effort: source though.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I'm short on string and slime so I want to make a auto-spawner farm for spiders and slimes. I've got a basic design down, but I can't figure out the range for the auto-spawner. What area do I need to box in to keep the mobs in?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
9x9 around the auto-spawner.

It's a tricky business; my tower for this leaked horribly when I tried Blazes for awhile.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

rhoga posted:

I'm short on string and slime so I want to make a auto-spawner farm for spiders and slimes. I've got a basic design down, but I can't figure out the range for the auto-spawner. What area do I need to box in to keep the mobs in?

9x9x5. And make sure the spawner's either in the air, or that the ground is very solid underneath, or the slimes will spawn underneath things (where you have wiring and pipes and such). Slimes are small enough to spawn in the most stupidly tiny spaces, too.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Streaming some stuff that isn't tweaking a build file

http://www.twitch.tv/shukaro

Edit: That was much more interesting than buildscripts, new stable builds for everybody!

Here's the VOD: http://www.twitch.tv/shukaro/b/460082095

Syenite fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 12, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Don't MFR farmers have the ability to automatically plant in segmented areas? I thought there was an option to set it so that you could divide the plantable area into 9 segments and have each one designated for a crop. If that's true then you can just use a different crop for each of the 9 areas and it'll automate itself, right?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So while this mainly involves a vanilla issue, I'd thought I share a little spat one of our old favorite MC modders had with one of the dev's today over Dinnerbone allowing for flexible nether portal sizes.

Source

Again, FlowerChild is flipping his poo poo over this:

I just don't even know anymore or even where to begin on the crazy poo poo he is spewing. Wanting things easier, playing to win, might as well be playing autocad and photshop. :psyduck:

I really wish that mod developers like him would just find a new game to latch onto already.

VVVVV
Good point, that is a lot of missed free entertainment.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 12, 2013

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Enzer posted:

I really wish that mod developers like him would just find a new game to latch onto already.

But then Minecraft wouldn't have Flowerchild rants. That is unacceptable. :colbert:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't even understand the whining. Obsidian isn't hard to gather. The "challenge" factor is having the diamond pick, not actually finding the obsidian, so however much obsidian you need to make the portal is pretty much irrelevant.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Enzer posted:

Thankfully... It seems FlowerChild wants to make his own game. And the sooner he does that and gets out of Minecraft, the better. He's a complete nutball (with a hell of a tinfoil hat), and I've never seen anything that was as much of a grindy disaster as his mod.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

I don't even understand the whining. Obsidian isn't hard to gather. The "challenge" factor is having the diamond pick, not actually finding the obsidian, so however much obsidian you need to make the portal is pretty much irrelevant.

The 'challenge' is figuring out where to place a structure with an even length by height in a room that is an odd width by odd depth.

Skuzal fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 12, 2013

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Enzer posted:

So while this mainly involves a vanilla issue, I'd thought I share a little spat one of our old favorite MC modders had with one of the dev's today over Dinnerbone allowing for flexible nether portal sizes.

Source

Again, FlowerChild is flipping his poo poo over this:

I just don't even know anymore or even where to begin on the crazy poo poo he is spewing. Wanting things easier, playing to win, might as well be playing autocad and photshop. :psyduck:

VVVVV
Good point, that is a lot of missed free entertainment.

Probably my favorite thing about people with a ton of emotionally charged opinions like that is seeing them ignorantly slinging mis-applied accusations of logical fallacies in lieu of presenting an actual argument. Extra points to FlowerChild in that conversation for trying to call out the developer for an argument to absurdity when he himself made a far, far more egregious instance of the exact same fallacy only minutes before with his photoshop comment.

The utter lack of self awareness or any sort of real critical thinking is what I like most about this modding community. It produces a bunch of really cool mods, which is great, but what it really excels at is producing top grade drama.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

"There's a balance to be struck with creative freedom and constraints to find the sweet spot. Notch was excellent at hitting it"

:lol:

That's the funniest thing I've read all week and it's only Wednesday.

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

The utter lack of self awareness or any sort of real critical thinking is what I like most about this modding community. It produces a bunch of really cool mods, which is great, but what it really excels at is producing top grade drama.
Oh god this! It keeps me in the game as much as the modding community does.

fondue fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 12, 2013

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

RyokoTK posted:

The whining is because FlowerChild is a deluded manchild who whines about everything.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Serifina posted:

Thankfully... It seems FlowerChild wants to make his own game. And the sooner he does that and gets out of Minecraft, the better. He's a complete nutball (with a hell of a tinfoil hat), and I've never seen anything that was as much of a grindy disaster as his mod.

Oh god, I hope the first things to come out of the community for his game is: Forge for [Insert his game's title here] followed by Better Than FlowerChild's Game. I think he might actually kill himself in anger.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

fondue posted:

"There's a balance to be struck with creative freedom and constraints to find the sweet spot. Notch was excellent at hitting it"

:lol:

So says the douchebag that called his mod "Better Than Wolves" because he thought he knew what was better for Minecraft than the creator.

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

Hanging just next to your door in the hallway is a painting of an EXQUISITE WIZARD. Your mother collects these awful things IRONICALLY.
Reductio ad absurdum isn't even a logical fallacy, it's a valid logical argument

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I've finally got my server to the point where I want it, so I took a couple days and made/wrote up a modpack. Description from the page below:

Cantorpack is a modification of Big Dig that I use for my private server.  Since most modding for Minecraft 1.5.2 has died down, I took it upon myself to make a "final version" of Big Dig with the most current stable 1.5.2 versions of every mod in the pack.  Then I added a few more mods, with IndustrialCraft 2 being the most significant.  It stays true to Big Dig's primary focus on high tech with abundant resources.

Stability and performance wise, it should not be much worse than Big Dig 1.3.13, its base.  IndustrialCraft 2 can be somewhat laggy if many machines are used, but fortunately Applied Energistics and Thermal Expansion render the majority of IC2's machines unnecessary.

Server files: http://ubuntuone.com/4Y0wJZei29H2KWn7OHFxDF

Notable Changes:  (For Mod Descriptions not listed below, see those on Big Dig's page)

--Added IndustrialCraft 2's 1.5.2 beta
Massfabs, mining lasers, and reactors for good (if laggy as hell) times.

--Added Compact Windmills along with IC2
Reduce lag by stacking your piles of windmills together.

--Added Advanced Solars along with IC2
Reduce lag by stacking your piles of solars together.  Also adds uncraftable Quantum Generator, a server-op tool that allows unlimited, configurable IC2 power.

--Added Nuclear Control along with IC2
Pretty much required to make IC2 reactors automatable.

--Added Extra Trees (came with update for Extra Bees)  
More Forestry spergin, I guess.

--Added neiaddons
adds NEI support for Extra Bees as well as the nifty feature of adding recipes to your ME Crafter in Applied Energistics.  Shift click the ? on the NEI recipe to add it to your pattern encoder.

--Added tubestuff
another mostly server admin tool, adds a bunch of now-defunct RedPower blocks and the Duplicator, which acts as a storage block with an unlimited amount of whatever is inside.  Pull items out with buildcraft pipes or AE import buses.

--Added Trade Center
a small mod that I haven't seen updated in a while, adds a craftable block you place near a village to view every villager's trade at once, for convenience.

--Added Mine Tweaker
a relatively new mod, this allows server admins to add and remove any recipe, including ones using mod-added items.  For example, I'm using it on my personal server to update IC2's universal matter recipes.

Current CoreMod List (-- = most current stable version for 1.5.2):

--TreeCapitator 1.5.2.r14
--CodeChickenCore 0.8.7.3
--COFHCore 1.5.2.5
--Galacticraft 1.5.2-a0.1.36.410
--immibis-microblocks 55.0.7
--Not Enough Items 1.5.2.28
--PowerCrystalsCore 1.1.6-107

Current Mod List (-- = most current stable version for 1.5.2):

--Better Storage 0.6.2.23-hotfix
--bspkrsCore 2.09
--Monster Spawn Highlighter 1.4.1.17
--Project Bench 1.7.5
--Rei's Minimap 3.3_06
--Starting Inventory 1.5.2.r01
--Additional Pipes 2.3.1-BC3.7.1
--Applied Energistics v13-b-mc15x
Artifice 1.1.2-157 (159 crashes servers)
--Atomic Science 0.6.1.80
--Better Anvil 2.1
--binnie-mods (Extra Bees and Extra Trees) 1.7.5
--Buildcraft A-3.7.1
--Chococraft 2.8.9
--Compact Windmills 1.0.1.3
--ComputerCraft 1.5.3
--Dimensional-anchor 55.0.3
--Dimensional Doors 1.5.2R1.4.1RC1-194
--Dungeon Pack 1.5.2 v3
--Equivalent Exchange 3 pre1h-TechnicFix
--EnchantingPlus 1.15.5
--Ender Ore 1.0-22
--Ender Storage 1.4.2.15
--Extra Cells 1.3.6
--forestry A-2.2.8.4
--Greg's Lighting 1.8.4
--IC2 Nuclear Control 1.5.1e
--ICBM_Contraption 1.2.1.172
--ICBM_Explosion 1.2.1.172
--ICBM_Sentry 1.2.1.172
--immibis-core 55.1.6
--immmibis-peripherals-55.0.4
--IndustrialCraft 2 1.117.921
--Inventory Tweaks 1.54b
--Iron Chests 5.2.8.447
--Logistics Pipes 0.7.3.dev.666
Magical Crops 1.5.1.2.1.2a (version 3 doesn't work with MFR)
--Mekanism 5.5.6.124
--MekanismGenerators 5.5.6.124
--MekanismTools 5.5.6.124
--Modular Force Field Systems 3.1.0.175
MineChem 3.0.0.250 (can't find latest 1.5.2 version)
--Mine Factory Reloaded 2.6.4-975
--Advanced Solar Panels 3_3_7
--Modular Powersuits 0.7.0-534
--Modular Powersuits Addon 0.2.3-165_MPS-531+
--Mystcraft 10.5
--Natura 1.5.1_2.1.5
--neiaddons 1.5.2-1.8.2.r31
--NEIPlugins 1.0.9.3
--Nether Ores 2.1.5-75
--ObsidiPlates 1.5.0.13
--OmniTools 3.1.6.0
--OpenCCSensors 1.5.2.0
--OpenPeripheral 0.1.9
--Pam's Weee! Flowers 1.03
--Power Converters 2.3.1-58
--Rotten Flesh To Leather 1.5.1
--Secret Rooms Mod 4.6.0.283 (listed as 4.6.1.283 on website?)
--Soul Shards 1.0.36
--Tinker's Construct 1.5.2_1.4.3d6
--Thermal Expansion 2.4.6.0
--Trade Booth 0.4.2
--Tube Stuff 55.0.5
--Useful Food 1.5.1_1.4.3
--zhTradeCenter 0.2.3 (maybe up to date? couldn't find any sign of this anywhere)
--Mine Tweaker 1.5.2-2.0.3

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

"There is a balance to be struck with creative freedom and constraints to find the sweet spot"

AND ALLOWING ODD-WIDTH PORTALS COMPLETELY WRECKS THIS BALANCE

Hahahahahaha

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Oh sweet, now if we can get some horizontally-aligned portals we can start seeing some awesome 'nether-out-of-nowhere' griefs. Speaking of, is it theoretically possible to trap someone into a twilight forest portal using sand/gravel or would it end up destroying the portal? (I'm still playing Skyden, the thought just struck me as funny)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Enzer posted:

Oh god, I hope the first things to come out of the community for his game is: Forge for [Insert his game's title here] followed by Better Than FlowerChild's Game. I think he might actually kill himself in anger.

He was calling it Return to Home, last I saw. And it'd basically be his version of Minecraft. Which tells me that it will be awful and grindtastic and stupid.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Serifina posted:

He was calling it Return to Home, last I saw. And it'd basically be his version of Minecraft. Which tells me that it will be awful and grindtastic and stupid.

I thought that was the name of his total conversion plans, ala terrafirma.

If he's going to try and sell THAT as a new game, this is going to become something to write home about.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Magmarashi posted:

I thought that was the name of his total conversion plans, ala terrafirma.

If he's going to try and sell THAT as a new game, this is going to become something to write home about.

From what I've read, Better than Wolves became his total conversion, and RTH is going to be his whole new game that he's going to make. Supposedly.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
I appreciate the fact that it might soon be possible to make a portal large enough to fit a ghast through. I think the only missing element would be the ability to place them in the horizontal plane as well as the vertical plane, (because I always enjoyed doing that with MystCraft crystal blocks).

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

The problem I can see with horizontal nether portals is that the teleport is not instant, you get that wobbly animation. Twilight Forest and Mystcraft also put you on the nearest block with space when you come back out, the nether portals put you on the bottom row of obsidian where you have to move before being sucked in again.

However I would love if they now worked the same as Twilight and Mystcraft becuase it's just a better way doing it IMO.

(But lets be honest, does anyone ever bother with the nether portal for more than one trip, one of my first jobs is to make a dim-door to the nether because my portals always end up somewhere really loving annoying and the portal sound drives me nuts)

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I seem to keep getting my nether portals stuck on top of a big outcropping with 3 ghasts circling and taking pot shots. So I have to immediately dig down and make myself a little hidey hole to make a book in.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

AceClown posted:

(But lets be honest, does anyone ever bother with the nether portal for more than one trip, one of my first jobs is to make a dim-door to the nether because my portals always end up somewhere really loving annoying and the portal sound drives me nuts)

I do. I actually use it quite a lot until I build a transportation room in my base, assuming, of course, the destination is a decent location in the Nether. I drop it fast if I end up with a portal that's free floating away from everything else in the drat Nether.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

AceClown posted:

The problem I can see with horizontal nether portals is that the teleport is not instant, you get that wobbly animation. Twilight Forest and Mystcraft also put you on the nearest block with space when you come back out, the nether portals put you on the bottom row of obsidian where you have to move before being sucked in again.

However I would love if they now worked the same as Twilight and Mystcraft becuase it's just a better way doing it IMO.

If you hypothetically were to place a nether portal horizontally immediately above a pool of water they couldn't escape because it's not possible to dig or place blocks while in a nether portal and the water would prevent them from falling to their deaths.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

and the Duplicator, which acts as a storage block with an unlimited amount of whatever is inside.

AE has "creative mode" disks that have an limitless amount of whatever you put on them.
Edit:

quote:

Added ME Creative Cell - contains an infinite amount of items that have been partitioned on to it."

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 12, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So I thought what I posted earlier was all FlowerChild was ranting about. No, that is just what Dinnerbone bothered responding to.. FC saw fit to go on for several more hours.

:suspense:

Holy crap his whole twitter account is just him bitching about the most stupid things like making the game easier by adding various shortcut commands and whining to Notch.

But when someone makes a mod for his mod, and he becomes aware of it because he dares sees a mention of it somewhere, the gloves are loving off and you crossed the line, holy poo poo. :stare:

Enzer fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 12, 2013

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

If you're that loving bothered about portals not being 4x5 why not just build all your portals 4x5? That is the point of a sandbox game, you make your own rules and constraints.

Hell I make my own rules up all the time and self imposed things, I don't go pitching a shitfit on twitter because I feel the Modular Powersuit Flight Control feels too cheaty, I just don't install that module, it's not loving difficult.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

There will never be anything more ironic, ever, than mod authors getting pissed at people modding their mods.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Can some friendy goons help me out with the method for adding mods to already existing mod packs? I've been trying to insert Thaumcraft 3 into the Tekkit lite pack but I'm getting crashing errors when I load up the game. Google searches are infinitely unhelpful as it seems nobody has ever written up a decent guide for doing it with Thaumcraft despite many, many threads about it.

What I did so far was insert the thaumcraft zip into the mods folder and the minecraft forge file into the coremods folder as I think that's how it's supposed to work. But all I get are forge related errors because of that, any help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

Can some friendy goons help me out with the method for adding mods to already existing mod packs? I've been trying to insert Thaumcraft 3 into the Tekkit lite pack but I'm getting crashing errors when I load up the game. Google searches are infinitely unhelpful as it seems nobody has ever written up a decent guide for doing it with Thaumcraft despite many, many threads about it.

What I did so far was insert the thaumcraft zip into the mods folder and the minecraft forge file into the coremods folder as I think that's how it's supposed to work. But all I get are forge related errors because of that, any help?

I put TC3 into Hexxit with no bother and I don't recall anything going into the coremods folder, I'd just try it with the zip in the main mods place and see if that works.

• Locked thread