Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

If I could just wear my gold monocle I would be the regalest unicorn ever.

Edit: I deleted my super particle effect build I had just to ruin framerates more than they already are. Anyone got suggestions for stupid busy abilities to bog down computers with?

Big Red Button, Epicenter, Suppressing Fire, Blow Out (the hammer consumer that pulses every second, might not be blow out), Fire at Will all come to mind. Some particle heavy passives like sudden return, arterial pulse and 3rd degree could also be amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

That pistol one that leaves a big annoying green patch on the ground.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So the golem can be killed in the wards of the academy. Funcom clearly learned nothing from the Mayans.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
This is the worst thing Blingzilla could have possibly been.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I want to hate these flares to death.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dohaeris posted:

I want to hate these flares to death.

Hate Funcom not the drops. Those flares can be used at just the right time to be hilarious. Kind of like the Mayan costumes.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I just switched from my alt to my main, who were both in the post office in London. It turns out the post office worker is different according to server. He was a white guy when I was there on my alt who is in Grim, but when I switched back to my main on Daemon, he was black. And he changes every patch.

Edit: aww yissssss

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 7, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jesus pubbies are dumb.

[#GildedEvent] [*Waldragon]: Shift+F9 does not work for Steam Purchasers

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

novaSphere posted:

This actually happened to me once. I have no clue what happened, but I ended up finally reinstalling the entire client and it looked fine again after that. :/

BTW if anyone ever has this happen, repairing my files worked, I was able to skip the reinstall, thankfully.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Hey, people who don't read the offsite but actually raid, we moved Wednesday to Thursday: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130912T18&p1=234

Future Sunday stuff is still up in the air until 1.8.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Oh my god why am I grinding these stupid golems for abilities I won't use and a pet I don't need?

I can't stop

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Brain In A Jar posted:

Oh my god why am I grinding these stupid golems for abilities I won't use and a pet I don't need?

I can't stop

I'm doing it too so you're not alone.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I might have convinced myself not to bother. Not only have they learned nothing from the clusterfuck that was the anniversary event, they've actually made it worse and more grindy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

I might have convinced myself not to bother. Not only have they learned nothing from the clusterfuck that was the anniversary event, they've actually made it worse and more grindy.

I need just one more golem piece and I'm done and don't plan to fight another golem.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
How bad is that grind or rather what steps are involved in getting that thing? I considered checking it out since I already missed the silver golem pet last event and they're actually nice, but if it's unreasonable I rather level a tradeskill in FF14 (speaking about grinds and all).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

How bad is that grind or rather what steps are involved in getting that thing? I considered checking it out since I already missed the silver golem pet last event and they're actually nice, but if it's unreasonable I rather level a tradeskill in FF14 (speaking about grinds and all).

It's exactly like the last one. Only you have to get six parts instead of just "here's a shem". Also he drops the Fusang one.

Edit: Finally free.

Len fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 9, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
That's just for the Shem. There are clothing drops too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

That's just for the Shem. There are clothing drops too.

Oh yeah the golden glowing eyes (not unicorn compatible), a golden bowtie choker (unicorn compatible), and golden headphones (unicorn compatible) so if that's your thing there's those too.

Edit: I wonder if there's some secret interaction between the teddy bears like there is the shems.

Double edit:

Claretta posted:

Chaotic Pull also is no longer pulling down the Reaper adds in Ankh 2.

People still do this? :psyduck:

Len fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 9, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ah so I still go and farm the golems in each zone to receive fireworks?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

Ah so I still go and farm the golems in each zone to receive fireworks?

Yep only no cool down. So you can just rapid fire through them. The other night we played Defcon while farming golems.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Len posted:

a golden bowtie choker (unicorn compatible)
Only on males. It does this weird clipping thing on female characters :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Why is shootout still buggy after almost two months?

Quokka posted:

I'm sorry if my earlier post, quoted above, was misleading. That was not my intent.

It turned out that reproducing the problem is much easier than fixing it. Insert technical jargon about client/server synchronization, ominous hints about security concerns, and gratuitous use of the term "hairy" in the context of a software problem.

My understanding is that, to develop a fix, the engineer is going to have to consult with a couple of guys in Oslo. Other projects of higher priority* have conspired to prevent him talking with them.

They have no idea!

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbIwVDTXd8M

The Shem dance, including the Solar Metal golem. It turns out that yeah, it actually does do something.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

Why is shootout still buggy after almost two months?

They have no idea!

How is it bugged exactly? I use Shootout a lot, and I haven't noticed anything broken.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

How is it bugged exactly? I use Shootout a lot, and I haven't noticed anything broken.

The rubberbanding.

exmus
Sep 12, 2007
What's the best way of finding groups for dungeons to eventually get into raiding? After finishing the last story mission this game really doesn't give you much direction so now I just spend my time finishing up quests, joining the looking for dungeon thing, and generally not finding any groups.

I'm Illuminati if that matters.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Either talk in the Looking for Group channel in Agartha for grouping with randoms, or come onto the mumble channel (even if you don't have a microphone) if you want to group with goons.

Bursk
Nov 12, 2007

Bank of Bursk
Can I get some advice please re Blood/Fist healing? This isn't for a NM build or anything like that, so it doesn't have to be 'perfect', but I'd still like some suggestions. Currently, I have:

Cauterise
Empathy
Exquisite Corpse
Surgical Steel
The Scarlet Arts

So what to use as an elite? Cold Blooded or Fired Up, maybe? And what should my 7th active be?

Brawler
Healing Sparks
Hot Iron
Lick Your Wounds (I'm guessing this should be replaced, for sure)
Out of the Woods (swap this for Empowerment?)

How are Making Amends and Shadow Medic? They look okay to me, but I need some opinions. Even if I do slot them, I'll still need a replacement for Lick Your Wounds.

Thanks.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bursk posted:

Can I get some advice please re Blood/Fist healing? This isn't for a NM build or anything like that, so it doesn't have to be 'perfect', but I'd still like some suggestions. Currently, I have:

Cauterise
Empathy
Exquisite Corpse
Surgical Steel
The Scarlet Arts

So what to use as an elite? Cold Blooded or Fired Up, maybe? And what should my 7th active be?

Brawler
Healing Sparks
Hot Iron
Lick Your Wounds (I'm guessing this should be replaced, for sure)
Out of the Woods (swap this for Empowerment?)

How are Making Amends and Shadow Medic? They look okay to me, but I need some opinions. Even if I do slot them, I'll still need a replacement for Lick Your Wounds.

Thanks.

The core of fist healing is:
Cauterize/Surgical Steel/Creature Comfort/Empathy
Healing Sparks/Brawler/Making Amends/Empowerment/Improved Bursts

Grats. Roll all your HoTs and Empowerment will give you all the throughput you ever need.

If you want some extra single target heals, take Nurture. If you want AoE heals, take Shelter. Or just take both.

All of the other passives are tiny marginal increases. Like maybe 1%. Maybe. At that point, you could just as easily take a utility passive like Glimmer of Hope. At early Gear levels, Mad Skills is pretty good, but don't feel like you need to throw a ton of AP at pistol for it.

For utility actives, Radiance is good for single target healing, Fired Up/Cold Blooded for AoE, Exquisite Corpse can save a stupid tank, or Hematic Rites if you are supporting terrible melee dps.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Looks like you've mostly got it, and Toshimo's advice is good. Just to make one thing explicit, you don't really need a Blood builder since you almost always be casting Fist spells instead -- you can cast Exquisite Corpse or Scarlet Arts off your health when needed.

On the rare occasions that I still Fist heal, I still do the thing Thwoompa does (did?) taking Nurture and its passive. One more HoT to proc, and since it lasts a really long time with the passive, you can throw it on everyone and it will keep them up through (e.g.) Lifeburn with minimal attention from you.

For an Elite active, I almost always use Cold Blooded. It can allow your group to survive fuckups that should kill them. Fired Up is nice for Machine Tyrant because of the shorter CD. Actually, it's nice for all of NM Hell Raised for that reason. I've soured on Shelter; it's really pitiful healing, and with a bit of preplanning -- since it requires more GCDs to put on everyone -- a nice long nurture provides far more throughput.

I'm one of the few people who likes Scarlet Arts -- I think it's a solid tank cooldown. I'm also one of the few people who is unimpressed by Empathy.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Shelter blows because there are only 3 good healing elites, and the only one of those that isn't an AoE is Radiance, which is basically a tank-healing oh poo poo button. If you're on a fight that needs a tank-healing oh-poo poo button, spamming Shelter is either unnecessary, or takes so long that the tank will die. If you're not, then an AoE healing elite is pretty much all you need, especially if you took Cold Blooded, which would have been a solid elite if it only hit your defensive target, but is instead disgustingly good.

Also running /Blood is basically done for 3 skills: Cold Blooded, Exquisite Corpse, and Scarlet Arts. You can take Blood Shield as a builder if you hate killing yourself, but really spamming out Exquisite Corpse a lot is really good because it's bugged and if the shield is up at all, the entire hit will do 50% damage even if the shield only partly absorbs it.

Fist/Pistol is probably better for tank healing though because Deadly Aim and Support Drone give you a lot of room to screw up on tank healing.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 12, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
There are pluses to both /Blood and /Pistol. Pistol in theory gives you higher throughput, but a whole lot of that is going to be overhealing, versus the additional mitigation of absorption. (There will also be overhealing here, obviously but it allows you to pad on some health beyond their stated max health.) Backup Drone is good, but only if you can anticipate big damage and have time to cast it -- otherwise trying to cast it when you're already in trouble is just going to mean a tank death, as it takes quite a long time to cast. A better reason to consider Pistol: Deadly Aim as a DPS cooldown for your group.

EDIT: The main reason Shelter blows is that its throughput is pitiful. Fights where it seems handy -- phase 2 of Varangian in Polaris, for example -- it will not keep up with the incoming damage on your group.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Depending on how have fist set up, shelter can be pretty good. It certainly isn't a primary heal that you use all of the time, its something that you weave into your rotation; its still a builder with a unique HoT. If you are fist healing with cauterize as your primary builder (5,1 or 6,1/hot iron rotation), then throwing a shelter into a rotation is actually an increase in thoroughput on the tank (assuming it hits the tank) along with additional healing to the party. Its important to realize that more than half of the healing of shelter comes from the HoTs (even before empowerment). It may not be as strong as Fired Up or Cold Blooded for absolute thoroughput, but shelter is always available even when those skills are on cooldown and the thoroughput of those two is almost certainly going to end up as overhealing. And perhaps best of all, it doesn't require swapping targets. For AoE healing fights I still would take one of those two, but I've found that weaving in shelters works well in most cases, Pol3,5, HR, DW, HE2,3,6.

There is also the 1,1,1,1 fist rotation (cauterize/creature comfort/nurture/surgical steel) that really seems to have the highest single target thoroughput. Haven't really played around with shelter in that environment, but it still stands to be a significant increase should AoE healing be necessary. Though in this situation Empathy is actually an overall loss in healing unless it crits, still useful if you need spike healing of course, but higher overall healing should make spike healing unneeded (I'm not a big fan of Empathy). Also worth noting is that with the 1,1,1,1 rotation because empowerment can only trigger once a second and you have so many unique HoTs running, that you can glyph less into crit rating and more into crit power (though that would matter if fist/blood healers didn't hit significant DR on those stats as soon as they get purple gear).

Actually Inner Spark is useful situationally (note: it fucks with Hot Iron counters), if the tank is going to get hit 20 times in the next 10 seconds, it should surpass Surgical Steel/Creature Comfort in healing without the Inner Spark passive.

But really kind of like the others have echoed. Cauterize/Surgical/Empowerment is the base of fist healing and those alone should get you through most every fight (if you aren't in NMs, that's all you really need). The other passives mentioned are good, but there just aren't many good healing passives (Hot Iron is okay, though I've started to have it fall out of favor), hell its often hard to find even 7 passives. There also quickly comes a point where adding more [healing] actives doesn't add much to the build.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Chiming in with the Cauterize -> Surgical Steel -> Cauterize -> Surgical Steel master race Fist healing rotation.

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.
I have a question about managing Elemental Force stacks when doing a build like Hammer/Fist where you also have to manage Momentum stacks. What do you do when your rotation gets hosed up and Elemental Force/Momentum get desynced? I've noticed that you can't right click the buffs to get rid of them and start fresh.

If you're using a Hammer builder primarily, do you also put a Fist builder onto your bar for these kind of situations, just to move your Ele Force counter without moving your Momentum as well?

I'm just getting into NM and I'm trying to get a decent DPS spec going. So far my highest 1-minute target dummy DPS is about 1400 using QL10 blues on Chaos/Fist with Pistol/Ele not far behind. I just can't seem to make Hammer/Fist come close.

Side note but healing in this game seems very strong based on my Fistol healing experience and it seems stupidly easy compared to DPSing well. Deadly Aim doubling up as both a healing buff (40% crit + Empowerment) and a group DPS buff covers almost every situation and I rarely ever have to use Backup Drone.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Killsion posted:

Chiming in with the Cauterize -> Surgical Steel -> Cauterize -> Surgical Steel master race Fist healing rotation.

Its actually Nurture -> Creature -> Cauterize -> Surgical Steel.

Or if you want something more complex, you take the nurture passive and Nur -> CC -> Ca -> SS -> Ca -> CC -> Ca -> SS to have near full uptime on 4 separate HoTs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Reverend Dr posted:

Its actually Nurture -> Creature -> Cauterize -> Surgical Steel.

Or if you want something more complex, you take the nurture passive and Nur -> CC -> Ca -> SS -> Ca -> CC -> Ca -> SS to have near full uptime on 4 separate HoTs.

Maybe if you're under geared. I can fist heal 18s in dungeon drops with cauterize/surgical steel.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Okita posted:

I have a question about managing Elemental Force stacks when doing a build like Hammer/Fist where you also have to manage Momentum stacks. What do you do when your rotation gets hosed up and Elemental Force/Momentum get desynced? I've noticed that you can't right click the buffs to get rid of them and start fresh.

If you're using a Hammer builder primarily, do you also put a Fist builder onto your bar for these kind of situations, just to move your Ele Force counter without moving your Momentum as well?

I'm just getting into NM and I'm trying to get a decent DPS spec going. So far my highest 1-minute target dummy DPS is about 1400 using QL10 blues on Chaos/Fist with Pistol/Ele not far behind. I just can't seem to make Hammer/Fist come close.

Side note but healing in this game seems very strong based on my Fistol healing experience and it seems stupidly easy compared to DPSing well. Deadly Aim doubling up as both a healing buff (40% crit + Empowerment) and a group DPS buff covers almost every situation and I rarely ever have to use Backup Drone.

Best way to manage Ele Force with a Hammer/X build is to use the whip aux ability Crack with the passive Jones in the Fast Lane. Build five hammer resources/Momentum stacks, use crack, use the off hand consumer then your hammer consumer. With this setup you shouldn't lose your sync between Ele Force and Momentum. I wouldn't take a second builder as a safety net, instead skip the aux weapon in the next cycle.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Len posted:

Maybe if you're under geared. I can fist heal 18s in dungeon drops with cauterize/surgical steel.

What do you think the odds of the peraon asking for pre-endgame healing advice is undergeared? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Len posted:

Oh its fucktons of overhealing. And it really doesn't make much sense to have an elaborate rotation when any gains are just eaten up by overhealing.

... well unless ACT could actually record overhealing, then we'd have healers trying to get the highest HPS numbers they could. Which would at least give fist healers something to do other than just mash cauterize/surgical steel.

• Locked thread