Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
We're thinking of using most of my husbands parental leave to travel around Europe, visiting relatives and friends, and just hanging out somewhere that isn't home. Our daughter will be 10-14 months old during this period. Are we dumb/insane? We'd sometimes spend weeks at a time in one place, other times travelling more. I'm a bit concerned that we'll be stressing out the poor kid, but then again I have no idea what babies that age need to be happy - will she be content as long as she's got mum and dad by her side, and not mind changing house regularly?

We're trying to plan a bit now, but it's hard when I don't really know what kind of baby we'll be dealing with.
Any input/advice/warnings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I always pureed the meat but mixed it in with some mashed veggies. So basically he was eating it for the veggies but getting the meat. It's not so gross when you put cooked meat through the food processor.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I've just been giving V (9 months) some tiny chunks of whatever white meat I'm eating for dinner. She has three teeth but mostly gums it around her mouth. I tried some Gerber pureed chicken and veg and it was disgusting. She'll eat just about anything but spit that right out, and who could blame her. I don't plan on adding too much meat to her diet, just giving her bits of what I'm eating in addition to some pureed or soft fruits/veg unless her 12 month blood work comes back with some need for it.

I think a good workaround would be cooking up some chicken breast and chopping it into teeny tiny pieces and mixing in with purees. I don't think it necessarily has to be processed into a slop because the soft purees will help the pieces go down.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Sockmuppet posted:

We're thinking of using most of my husbands parental leave to travel around Europe, 10-14 months old during this period.
Any input/advice/warnings?

I'd say go for it. Get a good baby carrier and get used to wearing baby for naptime and you can keep going and you won't even need a stroller.

My 10 month old likes to crawl and does get a bit sick of being held instead of exploring on his own. That's only horrible when we're trapped for a long 5 hour car ride though. I'd imagine you'd be doing the majority of your long travel on trains where you could walk around and baby could see new things. So you should be fine. Plus your baby will have lots of stamps in their passport by the time they're 1!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Sockmuppet, if she's used to napping in her stroller that can make traveling lots easier. I agree that you should do it!

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
^^^ She's only two months old now, but she naps like a champ in the stroller, hopefully that'll continue!
But who knows, the biggest thing I've learned about babies so far is that they're like Darth Vader - "I have altered the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Hdip posted:

Plus your baby will have lots of stamps in their passport by the time they're 1!

She visited 12 countries as a fetus, so she's got a head start ;)

We'll be travelling mainly by car, but that means we can do the long drives at night, when she's sleeping.

Thank you for the encouraging words!

Sockmuppet fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 6, 2013

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Well, our mashed potatoes attempt (which was about the same consistency as his straight oatmeal) was a bust. Gagged with one bite. I might look into the meat purees but I don't know yet. I figured I'll just keep giving him finger foods/bites of our not very seasoned foods until he gets good at it, then try cooked meats.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
You realize it's normal for babies to gag in the process of learning to eat? It doesn't mean they don't necessarily like it or that they can't handle the consistency. It's a reflex to prevent choking and they're learning how the process works, and sometimes they gag.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I started giving my kid little bits of sausage at about 10 months or so. He goes wild over it, then and now. The purees he always hated, and but then, he never liked baby food much.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Gagging is how babies move food from the back of their mouth to the front. Gagging by itself isn't a sign of choking and is totally fine.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Yes, I know. He's gagged and been fine before. He's also gagged and threw up as well. This was closer to the latter. He's still getting food, I'm not cutting him off completely. He's currently got a slice of watermelon in his hands eating it, so.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
We have a babysitter coming for the first time today for 2 hours. She'll be watching our 9 month old while we are home (we'll be doing chores, work, etc). She said she would charge $8 an hour since we will be home if she needs us. Does that seem fair? Husband was thinking $10 an hour.

Also, do we tip?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

frenchnewwave posted:

We have a babysitter coming for the first time today for 2 hours. She'll be watching our 9 month old while we are home (we'll be doing chores, work, etc). She said she would charge $8 an hour since we will be home if she needs us. Does that seem fair? Husband was thinking $10 an hour.

Also, do we tip?

That's dirt cheap, considering that it's less than a dollar above minimum wage. I'm surprised that you're not being asked for more. Is this someone's high school kid?

I don't think that you tip babysitters.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
She's a college kid. She said she's normally $10 an hour but since we'd be home while she's here she would reduce to $8. We will probably just throw her a $20 for the 2 hours.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
It's on the cheap end, but it probably depends on where you're living. I'm in NC and our sitter charges $10 per hour, but she is trying to build up a client base before opening her own daycare in a few months. Standard in our area is closer to 12-15.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Our daughter is 21 months old and we have our first airplane flight coming up with her. I'm really worried because my dad bought us the tickets and in his ignorance, he got a flight which puts us smack dab in the middle of her nap time. He paid for a seat for her, so she'll have that space if needed. We plan on bringing a carseat as carry-on (my sister's advice), so she can nap in there if at all possible ( but she's not really a 'nap anywhere' type girl).

Any advice to avoid/minimize meltdowns?

We've also been recommended to bring a juice box for her to sip when her ears pop. We'll also have a tablet for distraction, and a few toys.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 10, 2013

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

me your dad posted:

How long is the flight? Any stopovers or is it direct?

Half the battle is the flight crew. Some are awesome with babies, have a stash of distraction items or allow you to carry them all over the place, even entertaining them during downtime. Some aren't so understanding.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

VorpalBunny posted:

How long is the flight? Any stopovers or is it direct?

Half the battle is the flight crew. Some are awesome with babies, have a stash of distraction items or allow you to carry them all over the place, even entertaining them during downtime. Some aren't so understanding.

From DC to New Orleans, so about three hours. No layovers.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

me your dad posted:

Our daughter is 21 months old and we have our first airplane flight coming up with her. I'm really worried because my dad bought us the tickets and in his ignorance, he got a flight which puts us smack dab in the middle of her nap time. He paid for a seat for her, so she'll have that space if needed. We plan on bringing a carseat as carry-on (my sister's advice), so she can nap in there if at all possible ( but she's not really a 'nap anywhere' type girl).

We've also been recommended to bring a juice box for her to sip when her ears pop. We'll also have a tablet for distraction, and a few toys.

Bring plenty of toys. Having something for her to drink as the plane ascends/descends too. Otherwise, plan as if it were a 5 hour car trip.

Also, see if the gate agent will allow you on early to get the car seat set up. Make sure that the car seat is strapped in, and make sure that your kid is strapped into the car seat whenever you're supposed to be strapped into your seats, at a minimum.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

me your dad posted:

From DC to New Orleans, so about three hours. No layovers.

Toys. A lovely if she has it. I hear those fruit pouches are good to let older kids suck on, to help pop their ears, if you're not opposed to those. Just try to make her as comfortable as possible.

On other news, my son is cutting teeth #3 and #4 today. The top front right and the one on the other side (not his other front tooth). He's apparently all about doing things his own way.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We have a 7 month old and she's perfectly healthy except for one thing. Her left eye gets all gunky and is now super red from all the constant wiping we've had to do to it. We have some ointment they gave us when she was born and we've used that, but there is still a persistent gunkiness. We're pretty sure its a clogged tear duct and not a virus, but I wanted to know if any goons had any other remedies they've tried that have worked.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force

Jastiger posted:

We have a 7 month old and she's perfectly healthy except for one thing. Her left eye gets all gunky and is now super red from all the constant wiping we've had to do to it. We have some ointment they gave us when she was born and we've used that, but there is still a persistent gunkiness. We're pretty sure its a clogged tear duct and not a virus, but I wanted to know if any goons had any other remedies they've tried that have worked.

Are you breastfeeding? If so put some milk on it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

lady flash posted:

Hmm we are. Breastmilk will help?

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
Did you ask the doctor? Maybe it is an infection.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DwemerCog posted:

Did you ask the doctor? Maybe it is an infection.

We did. Her eyeball itself isn't infected or red so they ruled that out. He said to try massaging it and wiping it, but I'm tired of her poor little eye being all red:(

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Clogged tear ducts can persist for quite some time for some kids. There's a procedure to clear it out, but it involves anesthesia and such, so it's usually a last resort sort of thing.

I know some people squirt some breastmilk in there and it helps. You might need to massage her cheek right around her eye to express the gunk.

http://www.parenting.com/article/blocked-tear-duct-infants&lnk=mostpop&loc=baby

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
My daughters eyes cleared right up when we started cleaning with sterile saline water. It might have been a coincidence, since the nurse said it would pass by itself eventually, but there's no harm in trying it.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Jastiger posted:

Hmm we are. Breastmilk will help?

I had this problem when my son was born. The cream wouldn't work and it wasn't infected. Started expressing some breast milk at every feeding and rubbing it gently on the eye worked beautifully and it was gone in less than 2 days.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

lady flash posted:

Add me to the list of recommending breast milk. I haven't tried it personally (never had the problem) but have heard it from other moms. Worth a shot.

mcknitknot
Sep 3, 2013

Ask me how Chick-fil-A is a
four star restaurant
:getin:
It sounds weird like its a joke or something but breast milk may actually help. It's like Windex or Chicken Noodle Soup for babies!

Fever? More breast milk!
Funky skin? Scrape? Eye infection? Ear infection (this is a big one)
Cure? Breast milk! Or at the very least a drastic ease in symptoms.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Venereal diseases, tuberculosis, and cancer? Breast milk.
Hip diseases, chronic abscesses, and "female complaints"? Breast milk.
Cholera, neuralgia, epilepsy, scarlet fever, necrosis, mercurial eruptions, and paralysis? Warm up the breast milk before using it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We'll try the breast milk method for sure. I guess we just hold her under the boob and express it into her eye? Awkward! But hopefully effective.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Our baby picked up pink eye at daycare and we're currently kicking ourselves for not recognizing it soon enough to clear it up with breast milk. Also my wife and I both think we too now have pink eye and are squirting breast milk in our own eyes. If our dog starts showing symptoms we know what he's getting, too.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I tried breastmilk in my eye when I had conjunctivitis. It didn't work. I want a refund :colbert:

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Jastiger posted:

We'll try the breast milk method for sure. I guess we just hold her under the boob and express it into her eye? Awkward! But hopefully effective.

I just express some onto my finger and rub it on the eye.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Jastiger posted:

You can also try a little dropper if you have one. Just express into a cup. Might be easier.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Hi, goons.

I'm not a parent, but I saw a post toward the beginning of the thread by someone who was working as a nanny, so I hope this is alright.

I'm going to be spending 3 months over Christmas this year living abroad with a Finnish family as an au pair, and teaching their 6 kids (aged 2-8) English.

I'm studying to become a primary school teacher, and I have years of experience babysitting, so I'm not going in completely unprepared.
That said, I've never dealt with a group of kids that spans such a broad age range, and I've never dealt with kids with a limited understanding of English (I don't know how much English they actually speak; I assume a little bit).

So I'm hoping you experienced parents can give me some ideas for games/activities I can do with them that will involve listening/speaking (and therefore be educational for them), and be interesting for the whole group.

Any ideas ?

E: I should add that I don' speak a word of Finnish.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Istari posted:

E: I should add that I don' speak a word of Finnish.

You should follow this thread!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525590

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
We are planning a trip to Portland and Seattle. Any tips regarding car seats while traveling for those 2 towns? We'll be taking the train between the two cities. The only time we'd need a car seat is for a taxi I'm guessing. Will a taxi driver be patient enough for me to hook up a car seat in the back or will he be upset at me?

Will public transportation be good enough that we won't need one?

I'm trying to figure out if it's just going to sit in the hotel room and there will be no need to take it. Or is it something that if we don't take it we will need it and hate life otherwise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Picked this up yesterday. Seemed fitting.