Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

haplesscardsharp posted:

You have been dealt a very generous hand, so please don't gently caress it up by not planning with regards to class availability. I have a suggestion about your electronic predicament: don't get the iTouch yet; learn to live without one first, and then you can reward yourself by getting one. Having your whole life in a tiny little object is nice, but if you get too reliant on it, you're completely hosed the second you lose it or all your data gets lost.

Man, there's so much redundancy and cloud backing up built into my poo poo, "lost data" would basically mean a nuclear apocalypse or other global catastrophe. Also, I already bought the thing. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
Okay, cool. Sorry for being kind of a dick.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

tuyop posted:

basically mean a nuclear apocalypse or other global catastrophe.

Are you trying to jinx the entire human race?

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

tuyop posted:

Man, there's so much redundancy and cloud backing up built into my poo poo, "lost data" would basically mean a nuclear apocalypse or other global catastrophe. Also, I already bought the thing. It's great.

With all the ways life fucks you over, I have no idea how you remain this confident in anything, but I'm impressed with your optimism.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

haplesscardsharp posted:

With all the ways life fucks you over, I have no idea how you remain this confident in anything, but I'm impressed with your optimism.

Fun story, when I was writing my thesis, I was so terrified that I backed up my word files to google docs religiously every time I left my laptop, so I'd only lose like 45 minutes of work if anything happened.

One day, my laptop's harddrive broke and I sent it away to Dell. I packed up and continued onto the library, migrating everything to a USB stick, then I bought a cheap laptop from Staples as a sort of rental until my Dell came back.

Two days later, that USB stick broke completely. I lost a bit more work that time, but only like an afternoon of writing. I went and bought another USB stick, this one nice and expensive. It broke literally that night.

Then my laptop came back, I returned the Staples one (abusing customer service, woo!) and continued to write. That weekend, the NEW harddrive broke. I lost some annotations and references that I couldn't track down again. I ran a version of Ubuntu off of USB until I chucked a harddrive in the laptop from an external drive and just wrote everything on Google docs from that point onward. (Haven't had any data loss since. Hm. :tinfoil:)

Now, I have all of my class notes on paper, which get transcribed twice a week into Evernote. All my word processing is done on Google Docs. All my photos are backed up to two(!) external drives weekly and Crashplan. All other documents that don't play nice with google docs, and finished assignments, are on Dropbox and Crashplan. At work, I maintained a second working folder on a USB stick and emailed all my completed projects to my gmail. gently caress data loss.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

tuyop posted:

Fun story, when I was writing my thesis, I was so terrified that I backed up my word files to google docs religiously every time I left my laptop, so I'd only lose like 45 minutes of work if anything happened.

One day, my laptop's harddrive broke and I sent it away to Dell. I packed up and continued onto the library, migrating everything to a USB stick, then I bought a cheap laptop from Staples as a sort of rental until my Dell came back.

Two days later, that USB stick broke completely. I lost a bit more work that time, but only like an afternoon of writing. I went and bought another USB stick, this one nice and expensive. It broke literally that night.

Then my laptop came back, I returned the Staples one (abusing customer service, woo!) and continued to write. That weekend, the NEW harddrive broke. I lost some annotations and references that I couldn't track down again. I ran a version of Ubuntu off of USB until I chucked a harddrive in the laptop from an external drive and just wrote everything on Google docs from that point onward.

Tuyop what is your SCP designation?

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

tuyop posted:

I ran a version of Ubuntu off of USB until I chucked a harddrive in the laptop from an external drive and just wrote everything on Google docs from that point onward. (Haven't had any data loss since. Hm. :tinfoil:)

Just in case you've jinxed yourself, I'd recommend never relying solely on Google Docs. I have in fact found myself locked out of my Google accounts around term paper time because Google had erroneously decided that my account had been hacked. It doesn't hurt at the end of each session to save whatever you're working on in Google Docs to Dropbox and/or your hard drive.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Giant Goats posted:

Just in case you've jinxed yourself, I'd recommend never relying solely on Google Docs. I have in fact found myself locked out of my Google accounts around term paper time because Google had erroneously decided that my account had been hacked. It doesn't hurt at the end of each session to save whatever you're working on in Google Docs to Dropbox and/or your hard drive.

I think the best way to do this, and what I tried with the last assignment, is to just use google drive/sync and designate your document work folder as the syncing one.

So now, everything I write is backed up to Crashplan, google docs (where it can be worked on anywhere), my OS harddrive where I originally write it, and the two automatic remote backup drives. Failure is extremely unlikely.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

tuyop posted:

Failure is extremely unlikely.

You really like poking bears, don't you.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

Fun story ...

I literally have never had a hard drive fail, nor a USB stick die. I do regular backups just in case, but how in the hell are you having so many failures back to back? Is it the cold of :canada: ?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Nocheez posted:

I literally have never had a hard drive fail, nor a USB stick die. I do regular backups just in case, but how in the hell are you having so many failures back to back? Is it the cold of :canada: ?
Ive had 3 hard drives die, out of about 20ish I'd guess - two 02-03 DeathStars and a 07-09 Seagate. And never ever a USB key, and I abuse them and poo poo. Tuyop has the worst luck ever!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
There's a lot of really shoddy usb keys/sd cards that do shady poo poo, the ones that are good work fine but I'm not surprised that someone has had a lot of them die. Some guy aggregated a bunch of the cheap ones and found all sorts of messed up poo poo, like one that reported itself as 4 GB, and was actually only 2 GB and just gave you that 2 GB twice when you'd read from it.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Jeffrey posted:

There's a lot of really shoddy usb keys/sd cards that do shady poo poo, the ones that are good work fine but I'm not surprised that someone has had a lot of them die. Some guy aggregated a bunch of the cheap ones and found all sorts of messed up poo poo, like one that reported itself as 4 GB, and was actually only 2 GB and just gave you that 2 GB twice when you'd read from it.
Derailing Tuyop's thread: do you have a link? I wonder if it varies by brand.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

SiGmA_X posted:

Derailing Tuyop's thread: do you have a link? I wonder if it varies by brand.

I heard a talk on it at a conference, I'll try to dig up the link. The problem is those things are counterfeited like crazy, having "sandisk" printed on the label means very little. The big manufacturers probably don't do poo poo like that but you never know what you are getting when buying online.

Here is something, it was better as a talk than as a webpage though. Jargon heavy:
https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGrou...FlashCardSurvey

Linux actually contains some support for figuring out the various weirdnesses your storage device has, and doing things differently based on them. Obviously in that extreme case it isn't going to get you your extra 2GB back, but it at least won't perform terribly.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Nippashish posted:

Living in tyool 2013 without a smartphone or something similar is basically just being a stubborn luddite. Ignore these goons telling you to live in the dark ages.
I think we're all okay with him actually getting a smartphone - people were even recommending the Nexus here - it's this half-assed solution reminiscent of getting sweet upgrades for his bicycle (and then needing to drive) or getting the cheap bike on kijiji (and having to buy a new one) that's the problem.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Jeffrey posted:

I heard a talk on it at a conference, I'll try to dig up the link. The problem is those things are counterfeited like crazy, having "sandisk" printed on the label means very little. The big manufacturers probably don't do poo poo like that but you never know what you are getting when buying online.

Here is something, it was better as a talk than as a webpage though. Jargon heavy:
https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGrou...FlashCardSurvey

Linux actually contains some support for figuring out the various weirdnesses your storage device has, and doing things differently based on them. Obviously in that extreme case it isn't going to get you your extra 2GB back, but it at least won't perform terribly.

Unless your vendor sells you counterfeit goods... http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=918

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think that there's money to be made teaching students how to take advantage of endless redundancy so they'll never lose work again. I might try that-err, sorry I have to go to class!

No Wave posted:

I think we're all okay with him actually getting a smartphone - people were even recommending the Nexus here - it's this half-assed solution reminiscent of getting sweet upgrades for his bicycle (and then needing to drive) or getting the cheap bike on kijiji (and having to buy a new one) that's the problem.

Well I used the cheap bike for a year and sold its components for $40 less than I paid, and the sweet upgrades are still on my bike today! If a similar thing happens with the ipod touch and someone takes it off my hand for like $50 in two months, then yeah I'll be ok with that.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

tuyop posted:

Well I used the cheap bike for a year and sold its components for $40 less than I paid, and the sweet upgrades are still on my bike today! If a similar thing happens with the ipod touch and someone takes it off my hand for like $50 in two months, then yeah I'll be ok with that.

You're missing the point.

You've blown $70 on a stopgap, you'd be better off financially if you just waited until you got the smartphone on the plan you'll eventually get anyway.

Remember when everyone was saying how you don't do well under a high pressure workload? Well this is a good example. You got stressed after your first day because of the workload you've dumped on yourself and your first instinct was to throw money at the problem to relieve the stress, but because you want to be a frugal about it, you half arse it on something that kind of helps, but not as much as whatever you'll replace it with in a short amount of time.

It's not about you spending the $70, it's about you falling back into the same old habits and traps that got you into the mess to start with.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Dude, I just want to check my emails and sync notes and calendar events without going to a computer lab for like the next 1-? months. I don't want a smartphone, smartphone plan, or laptop and I don't want to not check my emails, sync notes and calendar poo poo without a computer lab.

Your solution is to simply deal with it and save the $70 bucks. I place the value of "not dealing with it" somewhere in the realm of $150 right now, possibly much more later, and this thing was less than half that so I'm pretty pleased.

Anyway, another thing happened! Toeshoes got into a small car accident, she's ok and the car is relatively undamaged (cracked grille and chipped paint on the bumper), but the other person's car is a bit worse so we'll probably have to pay our insurance deductible. I guess the other person is getting an estimate and we might have the option to pay less, but probably not.

So, good thing we have that emergency fund debt repayment pool. Scratch $1000 for insurance deductible. :sigh:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I still cannot believe that you're doing college in 2013 without a laptop. But with an iPod touch. Have a good cheap plan in place for when you cave so that you don't impulse buy something overpriced. I mean what if you take a class that uses... any type of special computer program? I'm biased because I majored computer science but I just cannot imagine what the heck is going on here.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
A lot of people in my business program don't have a laptop. But probably 75% does.

Anytime I've NEEDED a laptop, it would be for group projects and people would agree on who would ensure attendance and laptop bringage, tho typically multiple people always had their laptops. If I had a FULL day of class on campus, I could see doing all work off campus on your desktop, I do the majority of my research and writing/etc on my desktop, and I carry a laptop 24/7. But when I have an hour break, a laptop can be more useful than a cellphone, project/home work vs news and forums.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 13, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I still cannot believe that you're doing college in 2013 without a laptop. But with an iPod touch. Have a good cheap plan in place for when you cave so that you don't impulse buy something overpriced. I mean what if you take a class that uses... any type of special computer program? I'm biased because I majored computer science but I just cannot imagine what the heck is going on here.

Yeah, I'm not sure. We have SMART board sessions and weird interactive/adaptive technology requirements in my courses next semester but I don't think they have a laptop requirement.

SiGmA_X posted:

A lot of people in my business program don't have a laptop. But probably 75% does.

It seriously looks like nearly everyone in most of my classes has a laptop, but only like half of them use it constantly in class. The smartphones are out pretty much constantly, though. Especially among the first years.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
For what it's worth, 95% of what I used my laptop for in college in 2008-2012 was computer usage in my dorm room(and it was easier to move every year than a desktop). I didn't even haul it to class with me because it was too damned heavy, and I preferred taking notes by hand(lots of chemistry and biology classes that required drawing charts and diagrams and whatnot, which would have been ten times harder on a laptop). Group projects usually only needed one person to bring a laptop along, sometimes two.

Realistically speaking, unless your course very specifically requires you to have a laptop in class, you don't really need a laptop. It's nice, especially if you hate taking notes by hand, but it's far from a requirement. Doubly so in Tuyop's case since he already has a computer at home.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
SMART boards are pretty fun technology. I work for a helicopter search and rescue division and we have one and use it constantly.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Haifisch posted:

Realistically speaking, unless your course very specifically requires you to have a laptop in class, you don't really need a laptop. It's nice, especially if you hate taking notes by hand, but it's far from a requirement. Doubly so in Tuyop's case since he already has a computer at home.
Right, but with 7 classes he's going to have a ton of time between classes when he isn't at home. He could be doing work then, and if it were me, I would probably do the majority of my work then. I understand that there are computer labs, but the aggregate 15 minutes he'll spend each time going out of his way to get to one will add up to hundreds of hours each year. I understand that he can still do work that isn't made easier by access to a computer with an internet connection, but I don't think that applies to ANYTHING anymore.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 13, 2013

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
He made it sounds like he only had 10 minute breaks between each of his classes(hopefully with a longer break for lunch). Depending on his campus's layout, most of that time could be eaten up by travel; even if it's not, it's still not a ton of time. But I guess this problem's harder to answer without Tuyop being more specific about his schedule.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Haifisch posted:

He made it sounds like he only had 10 minute breaks between each of his classes(hopefully with a longer break for lunch). Depending on his campus's layout, most of that time could be eaten up by travel; even if it's not, it's still not a ton of time. But I guess this problem's harder to answer without Tuyop being more specific about his schedule.
It would be a pretty remarkable feat of scheduling to have solid blocks of class every day. I still can't imagine not wanting to pay bills and poo poo on the fly, but I'm kind of crazy that way and even as a working adult always have my laptop with me.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 13, 2013

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
How many credits are you taking? Because based on my college experience, 9-5 would be like 8 hours of class, equivalent to eight credits, which going four days a week would put you at about thirty-two-ish. Which would get you a degree in two years. I don't know if you really need to take summer courses if you're covered for two years, but if you do you might get done in only 1.5 years. So are you taking the equivilent of 7 four-five credit courses?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
My Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are easy, two classes, 9-10:50 with a ten minute break (1km apart). That's when I workout and do admin and homework.

My Tuesdays and Thursdays are five classes, 9:30-4:50, ten minutes and about 800m apart each. I don't eat... Like a normal person anyway so this doesn't bother me. It's also notable that my first and last classes are phys Ed so I also have to change or rock gym clothes all day.

This is 21 credit-hours, and next semester I have 24, which knocks off 45 of the 93 that I need.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 14, 2013

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Since you've got the iPod Touch you may want to invest in the Targus bluetooth keyboard. It'll give you a nice, nearly full-size keyboard to type on when entering data into the iPod and it last a longgggg time on a few AAA batteries. Plus you can control music and other ipod crap directly from the keyboard.

You'll want a little stand to hold your iPod up while typing but rigging something out of office supplies and tape is a lot of fun so I'll leave that to you. You'll find that it's easier to type on when it's sitting horizontally, otherwise an old cassette case works great for holding it vertically.

I've hammered in a few tens of thousands of words into a setup like this and it's not too far off from using a low-end laptop. However, it doesn't compare to having a straight up iPhone with all the features of that product. The only thing that I miss from my Touch is the storage space.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

CuddleChunks posted:

Since you've got the iPod Touch you may want to invest in the Targus bluetooth keyboard. It'll give you a nice, nearly full-size keyboard to type on when entering data into the iPod and it last a longgggg time on a few AAA batteries. Plus you can control music and other ipod crap directly from the keyboard.

You'll want a little stand to hold your iPod up while typing but rigging something out of office supplies and tape is a lot of fun so I'll leave that to you. You'll find that it's easier to type on when it's sitting horizontally, otherwise an old cassette case works great for holding it vertically.

I've hammered in a few tens of thousands of words into a setup like this and it's not too far off from using a low-end laptop. However, it doesn't compare to having a straight up iPhone with all the features of that product. The only thing that I miss from my Touch is the storage space.

Are you serious? That's pretty awesome!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Yeah, having the full-size keyboard makes text entry much much more pleasant. Typing on a little tiny screen starts to wear after a while but if you're in a pinch or want ot have teeny tiny devices then it works pretty well.

Using a steno pad to take initial notes is much much smarter. No power required, no faffing around with spellchecks and you can draw freeform diagrams right away. It rocks. Later, when you're typing up a paper then you can use the little iPod device. Of course, editing is a bit of a hassle and printing is a serious hassle but that's why you use something like NoteMaster or Evernote with Google Docs sync. Head to the library / computer lab and print out your paper there off the public machines.

I imagine I could have gotten through a lot of basic classes with this kind of setup but I was a comp sci major so having a full-size computer was necessary so I could run various compilers.

Of course, the right thing to do at that point is to get yourself an Apple Cinema Display and the proper adapter for your iPod Touch to export video to that and now you have a full-blown video, keyboard and with the addition of a bluetooth mouse you'll be totally set. Well, to properly get your tunes out you'll want a nice Bose iPod dock sound system and and and

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
How do you guys feel about living in unfinished basements?

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010
Sounds uncomfortable, mildewy, and questionably legal.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Seems like an appropriate place to poo poo in a bucket and grow your own black mold herbs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ok, well our friends just bought a house and it has an unfinished basement. We wouldn't be living only in the basement, it's not like a separate apartment that way, we'd just have a bedroom down there and it would be kind of finished around us over the next year or so. I asked about the composting toilet and that's a no-go, though. :( But yeah, there's a yard with raised beds for gardening, two-car garage with tools, 1.5 bathrooms, and so on. We'd have more control over hobbies and stuff than pretty much any rental.

But yeah, it would be 600 a month utilities included, and one of our friends works on the same base as toeshoes so the commute is super simple for her. My commute would go from like a 35-minute bus ride to about an hour with a transfer.

The alternative is to find a place like, say, this or this and gamble on finding a roommate.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

tuyop posted:

The alternative is to find a place like, say, this or this and gamble on finding a roommate.

Unless things have changed drastically in the couple of years since I left Edmonton, there are alternatives in between a $600 unfinished basement requiring a 1-hour+ commute and a $1395 "brand new modern 3-bedroom, 2-bathroom" townhouse requiring a gamble on a roommate. Why not rent a finished suite?

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010

tuyop posted:

Ok, well our friends just bought a house and it has an unfinished basement. We wouldn't be living only in the basement, it's not like a separate apartment that way, we'd just have a bedroom down there and it would be kind of finished around us over the next year or so. I asked about the composting toilet and that's a no-go, though. :( But yeah, there's a yard with raised beds for gardening, two-car garage with tools, 1.5 bathrooms, and so on. We'd have more control over hobbies and stuff than pretty much any rental.

One and a half bathrooms? So four adults will need to share a shower? And the bedroom would be finished around you? So, minimal privacy, maximum inconvenience. A shared garden and access to tools don't sound much like they'd make up for that. This is not renting a room, it's a house share where you would constantly be in the space of your landlords. 600 a month for a room that's not actually a finished space doesn't even sound that reasonable, frankly.

Giant Goats posted:

Unless things have changed drastically in the couple of years since I left Edmonton, there are alternatives in between a $600 unfinished basement requiring a 1-hour+ commute and a $1395 "brand new modern 3-bedroom, 2-bathroom" townhouse requiring a gamble on a roommate. Why not rent a finished suite?
There is nothing in between privation and luxury. It is The Tuyop Way.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

tuyop posted:

Try padmapper: https://www.padmapper.com/

You can narrow things down by rent amount. It looks like there is plenty of cheaper housing options (in the $600 - $900 range) around Yellowhead Highway, which is where the second house you linked is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The places I linked would not be inhabited by only us, so divide the rent in half or thirds.

Well here are the priorities:

Price: <$825 with roommates if necessary. We've agreed to go up to $1000/month but it kind of defeats the point.
Location: within public transit distance of university, and within biking/carpooling/transit of the base to the North. This leaves us with a pretty narrow corridor since our work locations are in opposite directions.
Shareability: Roommates make everything easier. This basically comes down to size, bedrooms, and bathrooms. The ideal being like, I don't know, 400ft2 per couple or renting unit or whatever it's called, depending on layout, two full bathrooms, and one extra bedroom for office/storage.

It also has to have like, a whole empty floor for all of my furniture from Halifax to be moved into it.

• Locked thread