Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tazzillekki posted:

Okay so this might be a hopeless question, but I'll give it a shot. For the past few hours, a scene in a movie has been stuck in my head and I can't seem to remember what the movie is. All I remember is that specific scene(not any particular lines, though. :( ) and the general premise of the plot. So here it goes.

The plot revolves around a father and a his daughter. The mother is absent picture. The relationship between them is shaky at best. The daughter is portrayed as a "free spirit", cooky and sometimes a danger to herself. From what I understood, she's more like an extreme case of ADHD and add in a dash of insanity. The scene that I remember is when the father goes to the grandmother. She has this really nice beach house with what looks to be a private beach or something. The grandmother is basically the spitting image of the daughter only 30 years older. The grandmother talks about how the dad is such a stuck-up like his dad and even they look the same and how he always stopped her fro pursuing her painting hobby. The father, recognizing the similarity, ask the grandmother to talk to the daughter and make her not be as insane as she is. The grandmother fights back and then reluctantly agrees. The scene ends with the grandmother walking out of the house and across the white sands. The grandmother wears white and bright yellow with a silk scarf.

Basically, that small paragraph has been stuck in my head for a while now and it's driving me insane. If there's anyone who recognizes the movie from what little information I have, please help. I have went through countless "father and daughter" movie lists and no dice. :saddowns:

I want to say it's Deeply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Is there a name for the filmmaking style of Borat and Brüno, or the new one by the Jackass guys, where a scripted narrative links together segments that are filmed "live"?

Tazzillekki
Nov 11, 2012

a radii hike posted:

Is there something like a musical IMDb, a site that lists every movie that uses a particular song?
I don't know your movie, but maybe you should also post this in the 'Identify a Movie' thread to get a quicker response.

Thanks man. Didn't know that thread existed.

syscall girl posted:

I want to say it's Deeply.

It's pretty close, but not it. It's definitely an American movie. Possibly in the mid 2000s.

Andy Cancer
Jul 31, 2006
the possibilities are endless!

Tazzillekki posted:

The plot revolves around a father and a his daughter. The mother is absent picture. The relationship between them is shaky at best. The daughter is portrayed as a "free spirit", cooky and sometimes a danger to herself. From what I understood, she's more like an extreme case of ADHD and add in a dash of insanity. The scene that I remember is when the father goes to the grandmother. She has this really nice beach house with what looks to be a private beach or something. The grandmother is basically the spitting image of the daughter only 30 years older. The grandmother talks about how the dad is such a stuck-up like his dad and even they look the same and how he always stopped her fro pursuing her painting hobby. The father, recognizing the similarity, ask the grandmother to talk to the daughter and make her not be as insane as she is. The grandmother fights back and then reluctantly agrees. The scene ends with the grandmother walking out of the house and across the white sands. The grandmother wears white and bright yellow with a silk scarf.

This is definitely a scene in a Law & Order: SVU episode. Elliot has to get his crazy mother, who is a painter that lives on the beach, to admit she's crazy to get his equally batshit daughter leniency in sentencing for a burglary.

I'm not saying they didn't steal it though.

Tazzillekki
Nov 11, 2012

Andy Cancer posted:

This is definitely a scene in a Law & Order: SVU episode. Elliot has to get his crazy mother, who is a painter that lives on the beach, to admit she's crazy to get his equally batshit daughter leniency in sentencing for a burglary.

I'm not saying they didn't steal it though.

Holy poo poo, you're right. I don't know why I thought it was a movie. But yeah, I looked it up and it's the exact scene I was thinking of. Thanks, man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Masonic Youth posted:

Is there a name for the filmmaking style of Borat and Brüno, or the new one by the Jackass guys, where a scripted narrative links together segments that are filmed "live"?

Not that I know of, but there should be. Psuedo-documentary? Mockudocumentary? Prank movie?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Skwirl posted:

Not that I know of, but there should be. Psuedo-documentary? Mockudocumentary? Prank movie?

Are you being sarcastic? Because it actually is called a mockumentary.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JebanyPedal posted:

Are you being sarcastic? Because it actually is called a mockumentary.

I figure mockumentary more applies to movies where everyone seen is an actor playing a character, either scripted or improvised, but still actors playing a role.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It doesn't necessarily have to be every person on screen, Borat technically falls under the umbrella.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think the question is, is there a term for what Borat is, separate from what This is Spinal Tap is.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Snak posted:

I think the question is, is there a term for what Borat is, separate from what This is Spinal Tap is.

Spinal Tap goes to 11

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Do we have a thread dedicated to special effects and how they are done whether it's with camera tricks, forced perspective, miniatures, stuff like that or with CGI?

There's a video and I've seen a few like it where you see an actor reflected in a mirror, the actor turns away, but the reflection stays and/or does something creepy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L7lJ_GMLLY

This is one of the better ones as it's less clearly a cgi manipulation or a case of twins. I'm sure the reality is probably video playback in the reflection in this one though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Do we have a thread dedicated to special effects and how they are done whether it's with camera tricks, forced perspective, miniatures, stuff like that or with CGI?

There's a video and I've seen a few like it where you see an actor reflected in a mirror, the actor turns away, but the reflection stays and/or does something creepy.

This is one of the better ones as it's less clearly a cgi manipulation or a case of twins. I'm sure the reality is probably video playback in the reflection in this one though.

My favorite one is in Evil Dead 2 when Ash is steadying himself on the mirror and Evil Ash pops out and grabs him by the shoulders.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

CzarChasm posted:

Are you kidding? That looks awful. That's a badly cropped still image in the mirror with a bit of tracking applied.

The effect it easily done now. You wouldn't be able to catch any signs of cgi since its basically just two images on top of each other.

Trump fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 9, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Haha, that exact effect is a plot point in Lake Mungo. I feel dirty spoiling that for some reason.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

My favorite one is in Evil Dead 2 when Ash is steadying himself on the mirror and Evil Ash pops out and grabs him by the shoulders.

Which they did the old fashioned way: they got a body double for Bruce Campbell, cut a hole in the wall of the set, and built a mirror image of the room on the other side of the wall.

I was just extolling the virtues of the special effects in Evil Dead II in the general chat thread, but it really can't be overstated how much they rule.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Terminator 2's effect for that remains my favorite.

Live Action Arnie & Linda Hamilton in the "mirror," Linda's twin & fake Arnie head are the "real" ones.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hockles posted:

Live Action Arnie & Linda Hamilton in the "mirror," Linda's twin & fake Arnie head are the "real" ones.

Wait, what scene was this?

To contribute, that the security guard who got duped by the T-1000 was played by identical twins.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I think he means this deleted scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA66KTGxuAw

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Hammer movie Twins of Evil pulls the same thing (among many others, I'm sure.) The trick is a little more obvious when you have "twins" in the title, though.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

It's been a while since I saw the regular version, but I think remnants of that are in the theatrical version.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

scary ghost dog posted:

There is also a scene in the original where he touches a mirror and it ripples like a pool of water.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The thing I love about the original is just how simple everything is (aside from the animation at the end). It's so low budget and raw, and it derives a lot of its charm from that and also from the filmmakers' drive to just make something, everything else be damned.

For that mirror shot, it was just Campbell lying on his stomach, elevated a little, and they put a fake wall and frame over a kiddy pool.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hockles posted:

They used twins a bunch in that film. See also the security guard at the insane asylum.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

bobkatt013 posted:

They used twins a bunch in that film. See also the security guard at the insane asylum.

Oh I remember them. They were even scientists in Gremlins 2.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What is a good book on the history of American film? A one-stop survey of the whole shebang is preferred.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Detective Thompson posted:

The thing I love about the original is just how simple everything is (aside from the animation at the end). It's so low budget and raw, and it derives a lot of its charm from that and also from the filmmakers' drive to just make something, everything else be damned.

For that mirror shot, it was just Campbell lying on his stomach, elevated a little, and they put a fake wall and frame over a kiddy pool.

There's also a shot that appears to be from below the floor, looking up through at the sole of Bruce Campbell's shoe. They just put the camera on the ground and held a shoe above the lens. There's another one that looks to be from several feet above the ceiling, looking down through the rafters and support beams. They stuck a mirror up on the ceiling and just shot it from the ground.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yeah, that last one was right before he gets the pipe full of blood in the face. I actually popped in the DVD, wanting to look just for the mirror scene, but I ended up watching the whole thing with Campbell's commentary.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Can anyone tell me anything about these odd little shorts about a character named Norman Krasner?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-D5I_DXluM

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is Osmosis Jones any good?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It doesn't get a lot of praise out there, but I really liked it. The animation is really great, and the story is interesting and takes the characters to some crazy looking body locations. The only thing that really brings it down are the live action segments. Weird, especially as they're focused on Bill Murray, but they mostly just fall flat.

Purple Gromit
Mar 28, 2010

echoplex posted:

Can anyone recommend some films that focus on The Troubles in Northern Ireland circa 1970/80? I've got Shadow Dancer which is a bit more recent. Or anything of that period/location - could be a comedy or horror etc, so long as it looks a bit bleak and bombed out.

Fanks!

Good Vibrations is a really good recent film set during that time.

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower
How many people here have really given up on seeing theatrical features when they premiere because of negative theater experiences?

More and more I've had theater experiences tainted because of massive distractions and just bad behavior. Its to the point now where I just don't see a movie until it comes out on blu-ray or on-demand, whatever format is best.

Would you be willing to fork over $20-30 dollars to see a film in your home when it premieres that you can pause, rewind, whatever?

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I had given up months ago but gave it another try about 2 months ago since there were a string of films coming out that I wanted to see. I had waited until they'd all been out for a couple of weeks but in every instance there were less than 20 or 30 people in the entire theater and yet there was some moron who wouldn't shut up. I don't know what kind of person cannot contain their laughter for more than 2 minutes while watching Behind the Candelabra but this teenage girl just couldn't do it. By the end I figured she was seriously just retarded because not only was she laughing but she could not get her eyes off the screen, even as I was telling her to shut the gently caress up.

I'd fork out $20-30 to watch films in my own home. I'm already doing that for movie theater tickets here in Australia.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

goku im piss posted:

How many people here have really given up on seeing theatrical features when they premiere because of negative theater experiences?

Boom, this guy, right here. Apart from seeing Django Unchained in the theatre, which I only did because I had to kill time while I was skipping work one day, I haven't been to the theatre in at least ten years. High prices, lovely food, noisy kids/teens, the endless sea of shiny smartphone screens, bad seats, all that have lead my friends and I to forsake the theatre for home viewing. We've all bought giant screens and audio setups at this point, so on "movie night", we head to one of our places and watch a movie with some good food and drink on comfy chairs and couches.

It a dick, movie theatres. Eat all the dicks.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My experience has generally been fine at the theatres, but then again the one I frequent isn't in the city where I assume more kids and teenagers generally go, if I went to the one nearby all the suburbs (which is basically a projector set up in a truck stop bathroom for how filthy and low quality it is) I'm fairly certain it would be a lovely experience, as it is, I go out to one nearby a bunch of shopping centers with not too many neighborhoods nearby, the fact that people have to go out of their way to get to it (and it's a super nice theatre to boot) kind of cuts down on that bullshit.
On the other hand, an IMAX recently opened on our riverfront, and that's in the city and for the most part it's been fine, I saw both Pacific Rim and The Hobbit in there which would definitely been rife for stupid assholes, but mercifully it was totally fine.

I think location definitely matters, city theatres/cheaper theatres/suburban theatres are going to be worse, I know that doesn't leave room for much else, but eh.

Oh, and my worst experience by far was, surprisingly, at the Ritz in PE, which you'd think would be less poo poo because it's one of those artsy-fartsy deals, but going to see Tree of Life and Melancholia there was an utter pain in the rear end because of nonstop college hipster douchebags thinking they were being clever for openly deriding the more "famous" artsy-fartsy filmmakers. Fortunately those are also the kind of people who are desperately afraid of confrontation so a simple shut-up solved the problem, but it's a totally different deal when you're in a theatre so crowded that multiple people are being worthless assholes, you obviously can't tell a whole sea of faces to shut their holes because none of them will think they're the one being talked to.

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower
This Dovetails into another question,
Do you think a negative theater experience affected your opinion of a film when you first watched it? Were you able to power through the distractions and the overall crap around you and absorb the film correctly, or were you so distracted and put off that the film's negative qualities were amplified by the surroundings.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
We just git an Alamo Drafthouse and even though its a 45 min bus ride (I don't drive) and there's a different theater half a mile from me I will go to Alamo forever always. :allears:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Boom, this guy, right here. Apart from seeing Django Unchained in the theatre, which I only did because I had to kill time while I was skipping work one day, I haven't been to the theatre in at least ten years.
Your solution is great, but don't you think your opinion is a bit of a generalization based on one time in ten years?

JebanyPedal posted:

Oh, and my worst experience by far was, surprisingly, at the Ritz in PE, which you'd think would be less poo poo because it's one of those artsy-fartsy deals, but going to see Tree of Life and Melancholia there was an utter pain in the rear end because of nonstop college hipster douchebags thinking they were being clever for openly deriding the more "famous" artsy-fartsy filmmakers. Fortunately those are also the kind of people who are desperately afraid of confrontation so a simple shut-up solved the problem, but it's a totally different deal when you're in a theatre so crowded that multiple people are being worthless assholes, you obviously can't tell a whole sea of faces to shut their holes because none of them will think they're the one being talked to.
When I see movies like that, half the audience leaves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Because I do shift work, I do most of my cinema time midweek in the afternoons, and usually it's me, my girlfriend and maybe 10 other people at most. And the most we pay for tickets is £8 for two because Orange Wednesdays are the poo poo. I love seeing movies in the theater, I would go 3/4 times a week if i could manage it

Edit: Overall though, I think we have it way better in the UK/Ireland than you US guys have it, I've only once ever had to ask someone to be quiet during a movie, the worst i've ever experienced recently was two old ladies who were super into Riddick and were having a whale of a time reacting to every little thing in the film. I almost never see people playing on their phones and poo poo either

forpush fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 13, 2013