Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

But what if I think it shouldn't exist and the trailer makes it look bad?

If you already think it shouldn't exist then it was never going to look good to you, short of Abbie Cornish climbing out of the screen to suck your dick -- even then you'd be talking 50/50 odds. Look, I think the trailer makes certain key missteps (YOUR SON NEEDS YOU) and I don't mean to be such a staunch defender of it, but let's get real here. If you're seriously closed off to the very idea of a Robocop remake you've got no business giving it any attention aside from an initial "Ugh, not seeing that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DivisionPost posted:

If you already think it shouldn't exist then it was never going to look good to you, short of Abbie Cornish climbing out of the screen to suck your dick -- even then you'd be talking 50/50 odds. Look, I think the trailer makes certain key missteps (YOUR SON NEEDS YOU) and I don't mean to be such a staunch defender of it, but let's get real here. If you're seriously closed off to the very idea of a Robocop remake you've got no business giving it any attention aside from an initial "Ugh, not seeing that."
That's not necessarily true. If it looked like it retained the spirit of the original (satire/gore/body horror/not necessarily adept but still effective acting performances, etc.), I'd actually be excited to see it, even if I didn't think it was going to be as great as the original. But based on this trailer, it doesn't look like that stuff is intact, or at least as intact as it should be (all of you who are saying it is...I don't even know where you're getting that idea), so I'm not excited for it. I'll still see it on the off chance that the themes of the original are in there, don't get me wrong. But that trailer hasn't given me a reason to be excited about it.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

You criticize the new one for being too obvious with its satire, and praise the old one for being obvious in its satire. You criticize this new one for being shallow, but also criticize it for being too much like the original. You're criticizing this one based on its trailer but you're praising the old one based on stuff you never would've gotten from its trailers.

C'mon. What this boils down to is that you just don't want a remake. Try to keep an open mind!

I didn't say I didn't like the new one's satire just because it's obvious- I said it's tired AND obvious AND uninteresting. But really I should have said this one didn't show much of any humor, which is kind of the key to having satire actually work. Micheal Keaton looking at his murder-bot and saying with all the seriousness of a fashion designer "make it black!" comes close. Nothing in the SLJ dialogue actually approaches humor, unless you find editorials from Foreign Policy the funniest poo poo since Chappelle Show.

And what's the contradiction between it being shallow and too much like the original? The original is actually fairly deep- but even if you think it was shallow then it can be both bad because it hems too close to the original and because it's a shallow shlocky film.

And yeah I'm comparing a trailer here to the actual original! What do you expect- for me to be like "well this trailer matches up well the old trailer so I project this to be as good as the old one!" Trailers are crafted marketing tools, not some core sample of the movie that serve as proxy data.

I don't want a remake AND this looks like a bad movie! It's like a two-fer!

Edit- like, they could have made something interesting to me and I would be wary, but I'd admit it was interesting. Nothing so far actually looks interesting because anything that could be a unique spin from the Robocop idea looks to be swept out of the way to make sure the action movie plot beats can be hit.

For example- if they had gone all in on this "he's just the pretty face for a robot death squad", I could see that as an interesting story. Like take the entire first half of Captain America with Murphy proving he's the All American good guy and fighting for a position in this elite project...and then they completely subvert that into the Robocop lore? Cool. I might be on board. But because the movie looks to be both shallow and unoriginal, it stays close to the origin story and just moves all this "needs a human face" stuff into exposition.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 7, 2013

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Is there a Robocop thread lying around that this could all go in? Doesn't seem suited for the trailers thread.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

coffeetable posted:

Is there a Robocop thread lying around that this could all go in? Doesn't seem suited for the trailers thread.

It's also going on in the Greenlight thread ATM... you're right and I'll try to not clutter up this thread any more.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The thread is still up but it was closed without comment a while back: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494960. Maybe a mod will kindly open it back up with all the new hype.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That Robocop trailer sucked on every conceivable level, 99% of those levels had nothing to do with it being a Robocop remake, it just looked unbelievably bad and uninteresting.
Kind of like the Total Recall trailer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Trailer for Richard Ayoade's second directorial effort "The Double"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWhikLYeSQ0
Starring Jesse Eisenberg (and a whole mess of other people) its the story of a man who finds his life falling apart following the appearance of a man who is his exact double.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Ror posted:

The thread is still up but it was closed without comment a while back: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494960. Maybe a mod will kindly open it back up with all the new hype.

Yeah I immediately searched for this thread when I saw the new trailer. I would hope it gets opened back up.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Direct all further Robocop remake chat here so we can talk about other trailers in this thread :)

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Starring Jesse Eisenberg (and a whole mess of other people) its the story of a man who finds his life falling apart following the appearance of a man who is his exact double.

Seeing this later today, come back with a status report. Love Ayoade since Darkplace and this trailer is pretty drat cool.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

After watching that trailer, I'm almost disappointed to read that it's a comedy. That spot had almost Coen-esque vibes.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So pumped for this, premieres next Friday. Engrish Bob?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzXbJtt406U

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

JebanyPedal posted:

That Robocop trailer sucked on every conceivable level, 99% of those levels had nothing to do with it being a Robocop remake, it just looked unbelievably bad and uninteresting.
Kind of like the Total Recall trailer.

Why is hollywood trying to remake Verhoven films minus the satire? Total Recall, Robocop, Starship Troopers...When's the Showgirls remake? We had Magic Mike last year but I heard it kept the satire.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
What the gently caress is Magic Mike supposed to be a remake of

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jonny Angel posted:

What the gently caress is Magic Mike supposed to be a remake of

Showgirls.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

C2C - 2.0 posted:

After watching that trailer, I'm almost disappointed to read that it's a comedy. That spot had almost Coen-esque vibes.

Wow, thats a pretty terrible trailer for a comedy, I was expecting it to be a dark thriller.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Wow, thats a pretty terrible trailer for a comedy, I was expecting it to be a dark thriller.

Very surprising. It looked like he had some kinda split personality thing going on maybe, but it's a comedy? What? :shrug:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Showgirls was just one of a long line of "seamy side of showbiz" movies and not even the first to focus on strippers.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

PaganGoatPants posted:

Very surprising. It looked like he had some kinda split personality thing going on maybe, but it's a comedy? What? :shrug:

It is very much a dark comedy for the first half then slowly morphs into becoming a somewhat thriller. It wasn't bad just, it lost steam towards the end, and felt as if the writer wasn't sure how to end it. The love story, relationships all were O.K, but again felt more like taking things from other films or books and transplanting them within this movie. This movie isn't just 'The Double', its more Kafka, Orwellian, and a little bit of Gilliam. It looks beautiful though, the cinematography and set design is gorgeous.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I really like Ayoade's style when he directs, but the subject material in Submarine wasn't quite up my alley either. I really wish he would act in more movies though. Anytime he's on screen I'm just delighted, even if he's essentially just playing himself.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

I just thought of something regarding the RoboCop trailer. Regarding the car explosion putting him in the suit, and not the being shot to absolute pieces. Did it give anyone else vibes that is was something related to all the people getting deployed, or hell just living there, in the war zones getting blown up via explosive ordinance? With all the shots of the drones in the trailer, and the robots, if this is was intentional then it makes a lot more sense to me for them to go this route.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I just thought of something regarding the RoboCop trailer. Regarding the car explosion putting him in the suit, and not the being shot to absolute pieces. Did it give anyone else vibes that is was something related to all the people getting deployed, or hell just living there, in the war zones getting blown up via explosive ordinance? With all the shots of the drones in the trailer, and the robots, if this is was intentional then it makes a lot more sense to me for them to go this route.

A guy losing limbs to an IED and coming home to meet his son didn't make this painfully obvious? His programming to kill is a PTSD allegory.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Unoriginal Name posted:

A guy losing limbs to an IED and coming home to meet his son didn't make this painfully obvious? His programming to kill is a PTSD allegory.

I hadn't seen mention of it by anyone else. If I missed that, woops. I was to caught up in being cautiously optimistic about this movie.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
This is actually coming out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxRJR0ufkg4

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

http://www.avclub.com/articles/horns,102757/

Clip from the new movie Horns, based on Joe Hill's novel about a man who is accused of raping and murdering his girlfriend. He then wakes up with a set of horns growing out of his head that cause people to either tell him the truth or bring out their darkest impulses. Its not much of a clip but it is kind of interesting to hear Daniel Radcliffe's (quite good) American accent.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Acting doesn't look very good, but still curious just because of how insane it looks.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Clip from the new movie Horns, based on Joe Hill's novel about a man who is accused of raping and murdering his girlfriend. He then wakes up with a set of horns growing out of his head that cause people to either tell him the truth or bring out their darkest impulses. Its not much of a clip but it is kind of interesting to hear Daniel Radcliffe's (quite good) American accent.

Yeah, saw this clip the other day and my brain was hurting because Radcliffe's American accent sounds NOTHING like he did in Harry Potter. It's like he was dubbed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its funny because I also just watched the trailer for Kill Your Darlings, where Radcliffe is also doing an American accent except in that one he sounds more like himself.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Yeah I watched that the other day and the first thing I thought of was "goddamn that's a good American accent."

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Its a good book! I suggest you read it sometime.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

LeJackal posted:

Its a good book! I suggest you read it sometime.

Bought on your recommendation, sounds awesome! Thanks!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Okay holy poo poo :wtc: I need to see this movie

"YOU'RE INSIDE MY HEEAAAAAD"

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

The premise is really interesting- how does it stand up as a film, divorced from its context? Is this one of those films where the real story is how it was made, or does it work on its own merits? Looks amazing.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vikingdom trailer (coming to the US in October):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfBW6xZNVB4

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The MSJ posted:

Coming to what, the Syfy channel? That looks like someone saw Immortals and decided they could do better on a third of the budget.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Deadpool posted:

Coming to what, the Syfy channel? That looks like someone saw Immortals and decided they could do better on a third of the budget.

It apparently cost around $6 million and was filmed almost entirely in Malaysia by a Malaysian company. I have no idea how big a release it's gonna be, though, but Universal picked it up for distribution in several countries.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

The MSJ posted:

I was pretty much laughing the entire time ginger Thor was onscreen. That totally looks like something I would go see, but I'd be afraid the entire time that I was repeating the same string of poor decisions that led to me seeing Extreme Ops in theatres.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The MSJ posted:

At the end you're just like, "in cinemas"? Really?

I must admit I'm impressed with what they can make a 6 million dollar budget look like, but it's still only a fancy turd. I burst out laughing at the chick who just has to bare her midriff while snow is falling around her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Jewmanji posted:

The premise is really interesting- how does it stand up as a film, divorced from its context? Is this one of those films where the real story is how it was made, or does it work on its own merits? Looks amazing.

The video was taken down. What was it?

• Locked thread