Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
attackbunny
May 1, 2009

tsob posted:

Except that it's pretty clear that Minerva didn't luck in to this - she's in the same guild as, and personally partnered with the Troll looking guy in the teeth bandana. Even if they didn't specifically go there to fight Fairy Tail it's pretty clear she got her partner to target and regress Erza so she could fight her once she was weakened. There's no real luck involved, and at least some element of strategy.
Good point. Let's just agree that Minerva's an honourless douchestick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

tsob posted:

Except that it's pretty clear that Minerva didn't luck in to this - she's in the same guild as, and personally partnered with the Troll looking guy in the teeth bandana. Even if they didn't specifically go there to fight Fairy Tail it's pretty clear she got her partner to target and regress Erza so she could fight her once she was weakened. There's no real luck involved, and at least some element of strategy.

attackbunny posted:

Good point. Let's just agree that Minerva's an honourless douchestick.

I don't think Minerva has the self-awareness of her own strengths to know how much of challenging child-Erza is because she might not win a straight-up fight and how much is because she's and honorless douchestick. She says she'll do anything to get to the top, but I think it's in a "I'll punch a baby if it got me closer to the top", not "I'm this strong, but I have no problem with doing this or that to get an advantage against my opponents".

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
Chapter 347 on Mangastream

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

All characters with huge tits become permanent members of the cast. This is Fairy Law.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

japanese attack names :words:
Can someone explain how the term "thousand birds" for "chidori" came about? I get that it uses the characters for "thousand" and "birds." But I can find no reference for chidori meaning this except Naruto (Which I've never read.) I've seen multiple [English] places refer to it as "lit. thousand birds" but, um, literally it sort of means "plover," at least according to every Japanese dictionary I've checked (Including at least one slang dictionary.) That or the name "Chidori." Is it just a specialized contextual thing? At least in this instance though, that technique looks neither like a plover or a thousand birds :smith:

international owl day posted:

All characters with huge tits become permanent members of the cast. This is Fairy Law.
Eh it seems more like a temporary focus, supporting cast role. She did say she didn't actually want to join Fairy Tail.

Actually come to think of it,
Didn't she say Raven Tail was disbanded a while back? Why did that happen exactly? They just got kicked out of the tournament, it's not like the guild leadership/Ivan was sent to jail or anything.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
For Chidori, it's based on this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachibana_D%C5%8Dsetsu

If you've read Naruto, the story will sound familiar.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

wow lucy performed competently and didn't get her rear end kicked, haven't seen that in forever.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Zogundar posted:

japanese attack names :words:
Can someone explain how the term "thousand birds" for "chidori" came about? I get that it uses the characters for "thousand" and "birds." But I can find no reference for chidori meaning this except Naruto (Which I've never read.) I've seen multiple [English] places refer to it as "lit. thousand birds" but, um, literally it sort of means "plover," at least according to every Japanese dictionary I've checked (Including at least one slang dictionary.) That or the name "Chidori." Is it just a specialized contextual thing? At least in this instance though, that technique looks neither like a plover or a thousand birds :smith:

It's exactly like you said, it uses the characters 千 which means thousand and 鳥 for bird. Combined together, it's pronounced as chidori. Chidori was also the name of a sword used by a famous Japanese samurai who cut a bolt of lightning according to legend, which is probably what the attack in both Naruto and Fairy Tail is referencing. So yeah, it literally means Thousand Birds, but it also alternately can be used for plover, though dictionary says plover is typically written in kana rather than kanji.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Zogundar posted:

Eh it seems more like a temporary focus, supporting cast role.

You're reading way too much into this, Mashima obviously just wants to draw huge titties all day every day.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

international owl day posted:

You're reading way too much into this, Mashima obviously just wants to draw huge titties all day every day.

That's not a terrible way to make a living, really. Is there a lifetime achievement award for most big titties drawn in a career?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That's not a terrible way to make a living, really. Is there a lifetime achievement award for most big titties drawn in a career?

I think the guy who does History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi wins that one.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
One Piece has more chapters than HSDK. Smaller female cast though. It's probably a tossup.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
And Tite Kubo may well just blaze on past them.

Not just as a result of one, but two mangas!

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
New Chapter 348 is up on kissmanga!

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
I like how the Ur flashback was just an rear end shot :rolleyes:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I'm surprised that Grey got to keep his pants.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
If Gray lost his pants now, he wouldn't have anything to dramatically throw off later.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
With the title of the chapter, I was expecting Mirajane to randomly be there, be turned into a kid and regain all of her lost power. I'm not sure if I'm disappointed that it didn't happen.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Hasn't she already regained her lost powers with a long time now? I remember her fighting on at least one occasion while deviled up at the very least.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

tsob posted:

Hasn't she already regained her lost powers with a long time now? I remember her fighting on at least one occasion while deviled up at the very least.

True, she has fought deviled up. I guess I was thinking more of her arrogant child personality rather than her sweet adult personality making her a better fighter, but that's probably not accurate.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Plus the troll-guy's powers don't work that way. They weaken you, and the de-aging is just a side effect.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
New Chapter: http://readms.com/r/fairy_tail/349/2033/1

Rufus is known as "The Minstrel who Sings at the Red Moon". I'm sure that comes up a lot in conversation. "Hey, here comes The Minstrel who Sings at the Red Moon." "Oh, thank god, The Minstrel who Sings at the Red Moon owes me a drink after last time."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well that was pretty enjoyable, if only for the first few pages of Grey loving around with the Ogre dude. Pity he didn't get to do more that really, it was entertaining. I'm not sure how he could make an entire floor of ice but only that tiny hammer though. I'm also not sure what the point of Natsu getting turned young was if it was going to get reversed so quick and basically have no consequence.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

tsob posted:

Well that was pretty enjoyable, if only for the first few pages of Grey loving around with the Ogre dude. Pity he didn't get to do more that really, it was entertaining. I'm not sure how he could make an entire floor of ice but only that tiny hammer though. I'm also not sure what the point of Natsu getting turned young was if it was going to get reversed so quick and basically have no consequence.

Well it doesn't really reverse your age. I think it's the FT equivalent of Super Mario getting hit and then shrinking into regular Mario.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Well, at least Fairy Tail's "Just As I Planed" bad guy is transparently spinning bullshit. Could have done without one though.

PFlats posted:

New Chapter: http://readms.com/r/fairy_tail/349/2033/1

Rufus is known as "The Minstrel who Sings at the Red Moon". I'm sure that comes up a lot in conversation. "Hey, here comes The Minstrel who Sings at the Red Moon." "Oh, thank god, The Minstrel who Sings at the Red Moon owes me a drink after last time."

The Minstrel who Sings at the Red Moon is just doing lovely covers of the Minstrel who Sings at the Blue Moon anyway.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
I thought it might be less clunky in Japanese. Akai Tsuki ni utau Ginyūshijin. Not really. "Oh no, it's the Titania!" "Oh no, it's the Iron Dragon!" "Oh no, it's the Minstrel Who Sings At The Red Moon!" Maybe it's a trick. Maybe he's trying to gain some sort of tactical advantage by making people gasp his unnecessarily long name. Where do you get a name like that, anyway? Is The Red Moon the bar where he does kareoke?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

attackbunny posted:

I thought it might be less clunky in Japanese. Akai Tsuki ni utau Ginyūshijin. Not really. "Oh no, it's the Titania!" "Oh no, it's the Iron Dragon!" "Oh no, it's the Minstrel Who Sings At The Red Moon!" Maybe it's a trick. Maybe he's trying to gain some sort of tactical advantage by making people gasp his unnecessarily long name. Where do you get a name like that, anyway? Is The Red Moon the bar where he does kareoke?

It's just a long title/nickname. Harry Potter made 'He Who Must Not Be Named' work.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Fairy Tail 350

And then he got eaten by an Ahriman. :psyduck:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
That ending :psyduck:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Well, at least we're expanding Lucy's character beyond boob jokes. Unless you count unboob jokes as boob jokes, in which case it's steady as she goes.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Oh yeah: What's the pecking order of villains at the moment? Is Zeref the big bad, or is it supposed to be Acnologia? I never understood if Zeref summoned that guy or if he was just doing his own thing. Do we even know?

I'd think it'd be Zeref, if for no other reason than that he has a normal face that can be punched, but I would be completely unsurprised if Acnologia turns into a smaller humanoid or something

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If I remember correctly, Acnologia was a dragon slayer who killed so many dragons that he became a dragon. I believe that Zeref showed up later doing his world spanning evil thing. The island arc seemed to hint that Zeref was actually sort of kind of good in that he was looking for a way to kill Acnologia and was the lesser of the two evils. I mean an evil tyrant is probably better than a civilization crushing natural disaster.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Gyges posted:

If I remember correctly, Acnologia was a dragon slayer who killed so many dragons that he became a dragon. I believe that Zeref showed up later doing his world spanning evil thing. The island arc seemed to hint that Zeref was actually sort of kind of good in that he was looking for a way to kill Acnologia and was the lesser of the two evils. I mean an evil tyrant is probably better than a civilization crushing natural disaster.

But (Why am I spoilering this) didn't Zeref just say that humans didn't meet his high standards and therefore they all had to die?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Zogundar posted:

Oh yeah: What's the pecking order of villains at the moment? Is Zeref the big bad, or is it supposed to be Acnologia? I never understood if Zeref summoned that guy or if he was just doing his own thing. Do we even know?

I'd think it'd be Zeref, if for no other reason than that he has a normal face that can be punched, but I would be completely unsurprised if Acnologia turns into a smaller humanoid or something

I think Zeref has a better claim since most, if not all, demons/dark magicks come from him. Even Acnologia was supposed to have been changed into a dragon with some action from Zeref, or something like that.

Acnologia is probably a major enemy down the line, but another dragon or two have to be beaten beforehand, or there's another level to Dragon-Slaying magic that we don't know about. If not, be prepared for me to call bullshit on Acnologia's defeat.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I still think Zeref's backstory is going to involve some time-travel fuckery, considering he knows Natsu somehow and looks very similar to Romeo. Also guessing a split-personality.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Kuroyama posted:

or there's another level to Dragon-Slaying magic that we don't know about.

The predictable route is to combine Dragon Slayer and God Slayer magic somehow and teach it to Natsu or Wendy. Not Gajeel though. Can't have him get any glory.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Something something Lucy, Zodiac magic, summon a colossal pair of tits that just suffocates Acnologia. The Mashima-est ending.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Something something Lucy, Zodiac magic, summon a colossal pair of tits that just suffocates Acnologia. The Mashima-est ending.

Clearly Lucy will learn Makrov's giant magic expressly for that purpose and become guild master in the epilogue. Also you forgot Geraldo's noble sacrifice and Erza's clothes exploding, possibly several times.

But really it will just be Natsu wins for no reason and Geraldo sacrifices himself but doesn't die somehow because he's such a great, useful, and meaningful character.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Shugojin posted:

Don't forget Natsu eating some sort of magic, and copious use of "friendship". Because I think Mashima uses that word like Silver Age Flash writers used molecules: throw it around so many times it loses all meaning, and you can justify any bullshit in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

Don't forget Natsu eating some sort of magic, and copious use of "friendship". Because I think Mashima uses that word like Silver Age Flash writers used molecules: throw it around so many times it loses all meaning, and you can justify any bullshit in the story.

I think you mean nakama. :colbert:

• Locked thread