Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Splicer posted:

This is one of the things that annoyed me about Pacific Rim.
"Oh hey atmosphere's not right yet. We have two options:
1) Wait hundreds of millions of years for a sentient species to evolve and hope they decide to use hydrocarbons as a major fuel source, thereby filling the atmosphere with smog, then send giant monsters through one at a time to kill them while also hoping that the industrial revolution that made the atmosphere we were hoping for hasn't given them the technology required to stop us, or:
2) Build a couple of smog factories ourselves and leave them running for a hundred years or so"

"Hmmm... let's go with the first one".

Well they probably had some other options: Namely other worlds they burrowed into in the meantime. If burrowing then sending Kaiju is relatively cheap for them (they live in another universe so it could be) then maybe they can afford to just wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Polka_Rapper posted:

That didn't bother me in this context since the character saying it is pretty much a drug pusher making up a story. It's been a while since I've seen the film, but I don't think they ever say how the drug really works. As far as I can remember, that's the only time the myth is brought up.

Yeah I feel the same way about it. The line IS dumb and I hate when dumb people spout it as fact in real life but movies can have dumb characters that say dumb poo poo, that doesn't bother me. It's fitting to the character. If the scientist who designed the drug in Limitless said it, that would be annoying. But some pusher who's just trying to sell drugs, whatever. I've been around those people, they say dumb poo poo all the time.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

(Pacific Rim)

Patattack posted:

This was my interpretation, but my girlfriend insists that he meant that the dinosaurs were killed by the first round of kaiju, who then left through the portal because the atmosphere wasn't right, etc. etc. I much prefer your version though. Maybe the kaiju/dinosaurs only had one brain because they were smaller, and had to upgrade to 2 brains for the second, skyscraper-sized batch.

The theory I heard that I liked just for sheer fun value was that the initial batch of kaiju were a lot smaller and weaker, and they got fought off successfully by Earth's dinosaurs, and thus they decided to save conquering Earth for a lot later. T-Rexes vs. beta version kaiju would be pretty neat.:black101:

EmmyOk posted:

That's a really good scene, Gollum is such a sly snake in it. Granted he's my favourite character in the series, so I am biased. A later scene did bother me though. Sam must surely know he's not the one who ate the Lembas bread and that Gollum is behind it. Yet it's not till he sees the bread later on when he's leaving that he suddenly decides to head back after Frodo and Gollum. As if that's the point he worked it out. Unless sleep eating was an ongoing problem of his, which wouldn't surprise me the fat slob.

I figured the reason was because Sam assumed he just managed to lose the bread somewhere, which would be possible and enough to make him feel real guilt even before Gollum got Frodo paranoid at him. Then him finding the Lembas where he did tipped him off that it surely didn't get dropped by him, someone must have intentionally ditched it there, meaning it had to be Gollum actively screwing them over.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah it's less that Sam was "Oh maybe I ate the bread and forgot cause im a fat rear end :saddowns: " it's more that, at the time, Sam is a total wuss and Frodo chewing him out is like the worst thing ever to him so he has a bit of a breakdown and tries to leave.

Then when he sees the bread he realizes Gollum is totally gonna kill him and gets his courage back cause he's gotta protect Mr. Frodo.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

Then how the hell was the one pregnant?!

Life... finds a way.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah it's less that Sam was "Oh maybe I ate the bread and forgot cause im a fat rear end :saddowns: " it's more that, at the time, Sam is a total wuss and Frodo chewing him out is like the worst thing ever to him so he has a bit of a breakdown and tries to leave.

Then when he sees the bread he realizes Gollum is totally gonna kill him and gets his courage back cause he's gotta protect Mr. Frodo.

Sam's over-acting is an 'irrationally' irritating moment for me throughout the trilogy. I don't wanna start nothing but all he does is cry and scream, even for a simpleton character he should have more variety in emotion. It's taxing to watch, and the main reason I skip over a lot of the Sam/Frodo scenes.

The breaking point was the speech about heroes and stories (I think around the end of Two Towers). The tone of that speech called for mature introspection, but I hear him choking back tears in between every sledge-hammered sentence and I suddenly need Sauron to win.

Sorry, I know Samwise is be-loved by many. I just hate him in the movies.

(It's especially irritating because I feel like Frodo knocked it out of the park with a brilliant performance)

Supreme Allah has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Sep 10, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well I would imagine that there's a reason that Sean Astin last got work in a Lifetime movie.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well I would imagine that there's a reason that Sean Astin last got work in a Lifetime movie.

I hear his voice every single day - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1124354/

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How loving dare you besmirch Rudy, you heartless bastard.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Jamie Kennedy is the bad guy in a new Lifetime movie, but after his New Years shindig last year and his whiny documentary about hecklers I can't imagine it was much of a stretch to play an unstable obsessive stalker.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

WampaLord posted:

RUDY?!? pfft. Rudy's too small to play football for Notre Dame.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Choco1980 posted:

Then how the hell was the one pregnant?!

(More Pacific Rim)

It was a trap for Newt. It was right by the secondary brain the Kaiju's masters knew he'd be coming to look for and didn't pop until there were humans tromping around in there.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Heres Hank posted:

Except maybe the "What the gently caress!?" guy in Harlem in Die Hard 3.

Late to the party but the "What DA gently caress?!" guy is an unofficial mascot of our friendship group. I'm glad someone else appreciates his greatness.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

WampaLord posted:

Rudy was offsides :colbert:

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
The childhood trauma from whale miscarriage scenes got me thinking about a movie that definitely messed me up as a kid.

Mousehunt.

I'd just really like to know what made the writers of that abomination think it was a good idea to include a scene where a guy eats a cockroach, pukes everywhere and then dies in a movie intended for children.

My emetophobia was just starting around the time I watched it, but I have a feeling that it probably scarred some normal kids as well. I'm not really willing to go back and watch the clip to investigate as it still makes me feel queasy, but I remember it being really realistic with half the cockroach wiggling around on the table and the fat guy hurling all over everything and eugh, I can't describe it anymore.

Speaking of, I get really irritated by graphic realistic vomit scenes in movies where it does nothing for the plot. (My Giant was another traumatizing one) Like if it's a character who just witnessed a grisly murder or they're ill or something then fine. Or if they cut away when the person starts and don't actually show it, again that's cool. But I don't understand how zooming in on the chunks contributes to most movies.

Oddly enough I have no problem watching people vomit blood, so 28 Days Later has no effect on me. :iiam:

miserable lil onion
Oct 15, 2008
I usually see this in shows instead of movies (and especially animated shows) but I hate hate HATE it when a piece of audio is reused and it's so freaking obvious that it's being reused because they play the second clip right after the first. If it's somebody yelling or crying there's a good chance they'll play it multiple times in a row, and it will sound absolutely ridiculous.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tin Miss posted:

Oddly enough I have no problem watching people vomit blood, so 28 Days Later has no effect on me. :iiam:

I'm pretty sure it's because vomiting blood is such a rare occurrence in the real world your brain (like mine) registers it as fantastical and therefore doesn't care. Also we've had years and years to get used to the idea that "blood is cool!" which is why we have a CD thread for horror movies that says "Gimme blood!" in the title. Actual vomit is way gross, though. I'm not an emetophobe but yuck.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Watched the Keira Knightly version of Pride and Prejudice recently. Just what precise benefit would Darcy get from marrying his sickly cousin? Yes, she's rich, but so is he, and in those days you got married for money, which he has plenty of, and to produce heirs. His cousin can't even play loving cards or speak with people, and she's supposed to have kids?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

miserable lil onion posted:

I usually see this in shows instead of movies (and especially animated shows) but I hate hate HATE it when a piece of audio is reused and it's so freaking obvious that it's being reused because they play the second clip right after the first. If it's somebody yelling or crying there's a good chance they'll play it multiple times in a row, and it will sound absolutely ridiculous.

Oh god, especially if it's that children laughing/playing clip.

You all know exactly which clip I'm talking about.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Stock talk: I am so goddamn tired of the Wilhelm scream. I've seen it in several movies over the past few years and it's so, so obvious that they put it in there because "haha the Wilhelm screen is EVERYWHERE think of all the TVTropes lists we'll be added to!" I haven't heard it in a while but I'm sure it's still out there; there are loads of stock screams I still hear all the time.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I have a couple stock sounds that bug me too. Like one, there's this monster roar thing that's been going on since at least the early 90's. I'm pretty sure it's some sound reversed and slowed down, but like whenever a tv show or commercial need a monster roar, it's either that one, or a more high-pitched similar one, and neither sound like any animal could ever make it.

Also, it seems like over 90% of the time when background police radio chatter is used, it's the same set of clips of a woman calling out certain codes. I know this because our first computer way back in the early 90's had this dumb little "Make your own Spider-Man cartoon" program to mess around on in it, and it used the same clip for its police stock sound. It takes me right out of any movie or tv show I'm watching every time.
EDIT: Here's the sound bite Apparently there's a second one that's been gaining speed lately that was used in Simcity3000, that drives people up similar walls.

Choco1980 has a new favorite as of 01:04 on Sep 12, 2013

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Tin Miss posted:

Speaking of, I get really irritated by graphic realistic vomit scenes in movies where it does nothing for the plot. (My Giant was another traumatizing one) Like if it's a character who just witnessed a grisly murder or they're ill or something then fine. Or if they cut away when the person starts and don't actually show it, again that's cool. But I don't understand how zooming in on the chunks contributes to most movies.

In a similar light: people still having contents in their stomach where there is no real reason for them to have eaten recent enough. The show/movie could be spanning an entire day(s) where there wouldn't be any food around or any chance to eat, but people will still have some chunks coming up.

Choco1980 posted:

I have a couple stock sounds that bug me too. Like one, there's this monster roar thing that's been going on since at least the early 90's. I'm pretty sure it's some sound reversed and slowed down, but like whenever a tv show or commercial need a monster roar, it's either that one, or a more high-pitched similar one, and neither sound like any animal could ever make it.

Is the high pitch one used a lot in Starship Troopers? I am pretty sure that high pitch one uses recordings of pigs or boars squealing, or at least that is what it has always sounded like to me. And in general, a lot of creature sounds are a mix of a animal sounds bended together.

Terminal Entropy has a new favorite as of 02:45 on Sep 12, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Choco1980 posted:

I have a couple stock sounds that bug me too.

Doom doors. Dshhooooop!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Tiggum posted:

Doom doors. Dshhooooop!

This one is mine. It's not so common but every time it sounds really weird.

There's this sort of snorting sound that was in Ultima Online. You hear it a lot as a crocodile noise.

The weirdest sound thing like this is from Holy Grail. When the black knight is fighting that random guy he makes these 2 noises. They were later combined in civilization 2 as the standard melee unit attacking noise. I heard it hundreds of times before I ever saw the movie and it always pulls me right out.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Choco1980 posted:

EDIT: Apparently there's a second one that's been gaining speed lately that was used in Simcity3000, that drives people up similar walls.

That's the one that gets on my nerves.

It's also used in pretty much every episode of Law and Order: SVU (possibly the original as well, but I only ever watched SVU.) Whenever they do the initial "crime scene" scene, that radio chatter will play as if from one of the extra's radios, or the squad car they're walking past.

But those God-damned laughing kids...that's my most hated stock sound effect. More than Wilheim.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I really hate that noise everything uses for jail doors or metal doors opening/closing. It is the same drat one so often, maddening.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
That sound used in doom when the brown eye-globe spits out flaming skulls shows up in so much science fiction.

Tsunemori
Nov 20, 2006

HEEEYYYWHOOOHHH
Wilhem scream pisses me off too, but not to the extent of the howie scream. :argh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think what annoys me most about stock sounds is when they're used on characters with speaking roles, wherein the stock sound doesn't sound anything like them. It's so annoying and noticeable and somehow it still happens. :argh:

Halifax
May 22, 2006

Technology Equals Might Want to Loot Instead
Nap Ghost
The one sound that drives me up a wall, and it's used all over the place, is this one sound of a wooden door opening. I first noticed it in Morrowind, since 95% of the doors in the game use the sound when you open them, but that same sound gets used for all kinds of movies and TV shows. You can hear it, although a bit faintly, at about 5:37 in this video.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The wilhelm scream is the worst because it's never in the background, always front and centre in the mix.

Peter Jackson uses it in discrete shots and mutes all other effects for like half a second before and after. It stands out not just because it sucks and is everywhere, but also because they make it stand out for some ridiculous reason..

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lotish posted:

I'm pretty sure it's because vomiting blood is such a rare occurrence in the real world your brain (like mine) registers it as fantastical and therefore doesn't care. Also we've had years and years to get used to the idea that "blood is cool!" which is why we have a CD thread for horror movies that says "Gimme blood!" in the title. Actual vomit is way gross, though. I'm not an emetophobe but yuck.

Speaking as someone who has vomited blood, let me tell you that you loving well do care and it doesn't seem unreal at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jedit posted:

Speaking as someone who has vomited blood, let me tell you that you loving well do care and it doesn't seem unreal at all.

Pretty sure they were saying that it's such a rare occurrence in the real world that when you see it in fiction it doesn't seem realistic. Not that it wouldn't seem real if it happened to you in real life.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tiggum posted:

Pretty sure they were saying that it's such a rare occurrence in the real world that when you see it in fiction it doesn't seem realistic. Not that it wouldn't seem real if it happened to you in real life.

Yep.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tiggum posted:

Hang with drunks and its not that rare at all.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I dont even know how to describe the stock sound I hate, and I can only think of two instances of it at the moment,bit I hear it all the time. Its a kind of "woosh" sound.

First thing I can remember it from was the acceleration spell in Magic Carpet, the old PC game. Also remember it in the Truman Show, when he is trying to escape and the fire jets across the road.

Really brings me out of whatever I am watching.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

Halifax posted:

The one sound that drives me up a wall, and it's used all over the place, is this one sound of a wooden door opening. I first noticed it in Morrowind, since 95% of the doors in the game use the sound when you open them, but that same sound gets used for all kinds of movies and TV shows. You can hear it, although a bit faintly, at about 5:37 in this video.

Haha, I first noticed this one in Morrowind, too. That loving door sound is everywhere. Whenever I hear it, I can't help but hear a dark elf yell "You s'wit!" in the back of my mind.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Tsunemori posted:

Wilhem scream pisses me off too, but not to the extent of the howie scream. :argh:

I've never really been good at picking out the Wilhelm, I guess because my brain expects it to be more than a half-second thing, but the Howie Scream, dear lord do I notice that one.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think of it as the Starcraft Academy scream. Why the building screamed when you clicked on it is beyond me, but that's where I know it from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

RyokoTK posted:

I think of it as the Starcraft Academy scream. Why the building screamed when you clicked on it is beyond me, but that's where I know it from.

I think of it as that as well. It was the first place I heard it and even there it was bizarre and incongruous. I think it was supposed to imply that the Academy was doing experiments on live humans, but it's just so wacky and ridiculous sounding.

• Locked thread