Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm going to say something probably unpopular by stating that I don't think that Bush wasted an opportunity to strike at the 'enemies of America' or whatever after 9-11, because they were as decentralized then as they are now, and there really wasn't a way to collectively strike or retaliate against them after 9-11 more than what Bush did immediately following the events.

Obviously, the protracted and needless wars that followed in the name of and wake of the events were wrongful, stupid things, but I don't feel that he ever really had a chance to strike at or dismantle a centralized enemy.

On a different note, as a response to the events in Syriah, and as a way to exhaust-vent the gasses expelled by constantly flipping opinions on how wrong Obama is, Hannity has been consistently and constantly calling for heavy strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities.
Keep in mind that this is while simultaneously decrying how involved Russia is getting in the whole scenario. Not a single guest, even the ones who oppose his whatever-the-mood-strikes-him opinion of the day are have ever asked him "How do you think Russia, let alone China, would respond to the US forgoing limited strikes in Syriah and instead launching a full on assault of Iran?"

More than the double-talk, more than the constant flip flopping, this is has been what's caused me to to ridiculous eye-rolling doubletakes at the car radio.

The man literally shouts that we must fully bombard Iran, and in the same exact breath states that any strikes (or negotiations or anything at all really) invites more Russian intervention in the region.

Yeah because Russia will totally just blink off leveling major Iranian institutions and weapons works with heavy military strikes. It goes beyond him pandering to morons, or even willful self ignorance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Phone posted:

O'Reilly just played the Second City clip.

What's the Second City clip? I consume unhealthy levels of this poison and I haven't heard of it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-sdO6pwVHQ

For those not in the know, Second City is a comedy group/school. Let's take a look at some of their alumni:

Alan Arkin
Joan Rivers
John Belushi
Bill Murray
Dan Aykroyd
Eugene Levy
Andy Dick
Jane Lynch
Mike Myers
Bob Odenkirk
Steve Carell
Jeff Garlin
Stephen Colbert
Amy Poehler
Tina Fey
Keegan-Michael Key

You've probably never have heard of any of these people.

Phone fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 12, 2013

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Phone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-sdO6pwVHQ

For those not in the know, Second City is a comedy group/school. Let's take a look at some of their alumni:

Alan Arkin
Joan Rivers
John Belushi
Bill Murray
Dan Aykroyd
Eugene Levy
Andy Dick
Jane Lynch
Mike Myers
Bob Odenkirk
Steve Carell
Jeff Garlin
Stephen Colbert
Amy Poehler
Tina Fey
Keegan-Michael Key

You've probably never have heard of any of these people.

Don't forget about John Candy.

EDIT: In conservative media news, I heard from a colleague yesterday that we "don't drill for oil like we used to". I know it's getting repetitive at this point to talk about conservatives denying objective reality but I was just floored by that one, probably because I was hearing it in person.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I just searched for the WW3 kickstarter video to post to FB, and I found several right wing sites lauding it for "making fun of liberals" while failing to notice the Koch Brothers reference at the end.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Did that Daily Caller slam piece on the new Crossfire panelist actually bear Tucker Carlson's name on the byline, or did he just hide behind "The Editors"?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

quote:

American poverty just ain’t what it used to be. A new report from the Census Bureau found that 80.9% of households considered poverty stricken have cell phones along with their landline phones, and 58.2% have computers. 96.1% of those in “poverty” have televisions, and 83% have some sort of DVR.
The percentage owning refrigerators? 97.8%
Gas or electric stoves? 96.6%.
Microwaves? 93.2%
Air conditioning? Over 83%.
Washer? 68.7%
Dryer? 65.3%
People still don’t mind washing dishes, apparently; only 44.9% surveyed had a dishwasher.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I can't really blame them, its actually funny and mocks Obama and friends. Theyve been trying to do that for years and now someone did it for them. I just didn't realize they were so desperate for it they'd latch on to something that barely needs two words changed to nail them as hard as any Obama fan got it.

I also don't get offended when people pull out the OOOH OBAMA YOUR LORD AND SAVIOR poo poo. He saved me from a Sarah Palin vice presidency and 8 years of Republican presidents. Considering what they would have don e with a lot of our current events you're drat right he's my savior.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

What lucky duckies.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

Those filthy poors, needing air conditioning to keep from dying of heat stroke....

Where's that Fox News "refrigerator poors" graphic when you need it?!?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
THOSE POORS HAVE DVRS! (Ignores Moore's Law and the decreasing cost of digital storage) They shouldn't be able to record entertainment that they would otherwise miss while working 60 hour weeks.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

bigtom posted:

Those filthy poors, needing air conditioning to keep from dying of heat stroke....

In that graphic it was 99.6%.

The gap between rich and poor widens :ohdear:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They even have clothes. In my day the poor had the decency to wear comical barrels to hide their nudity.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

:airquote:poverty:airquote:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Aww, let's admit it, the poors have it way better now than they did 100 years ago.

Well, I mean, everyone does, but we're just talking about the poors, okay?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Big Beef City posted:

I'm going to say something probably unpopular by stating that I don't think that Bush wasted an opportunity to strike at the 'enemies of America' or whatever after 9-11, because they were as decentralized then as they are now, and there really wasn't a way to collectively strike or retaliate against them after 9-11 more than what Bush did immediately following the events.

I meant "wasted opportunity" more in the sense of being able to do something positive with what was obviously an unprecedentedly united country at the time. Even most people who didn't like him or vote for him gave him the benefit of the doubt and got behind him for a while.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Poverty statistics

Cain brought this up today and was citing the income levels for poverty in the U.S.

Something like $15,000 a year for a family of 2 and $24,000 for a family of four. Or there abouts anyway but that's not what got me. After listing the numbers he said "And that's before taxes!" Wait a moment Herman. I thought those people didn't pay any taxes and were all freeloaders with no skin in the game, etc. etc.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

bigtom posted:

Gotta love the :airquote: around poor.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
I don't get the inclusion of gas/electric stoves. Gas stoves have seen widespread commercial use since the 1880's. It's only natural that something that's existed for over a century and is a cornerstone in supplying a one of humanities most basic needs would be widespread. The fact that over 3% of households don't have a gas or electric stove points to a serious problem involving how much time and money the poorest people have available to spend towards cooking.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm crossposting this from another thread because I think it's a perfect rebuttal to the "poor people have appliances!" meme:

WampaLord posted:

What's hilarious is that most people who are renting don't actually "own" any of those things, they just have access to them as part of their rent. I can't take my apartment's fridge, stove, washer, dryer, microwave or dishwasher with me when I leave. They do not actually belong to me, I never purchased them. If I was suddenly homeless tomorrow, I would not be in possession of those appliances, they'd stay at my apartment for the next person who moves in.

Most of the time, the only people who actually "own" their appliances are homeowners. So the argument of "How can they be poor if they own all these appliances?" falls flat on another angle, poor people don't actually own their appliances.

The only appliances I actually own and can take with me are a toaster oven and a crockpot. Woo, look at me living it up with all of my appliances!

The poor (well, anyone who rents, really) don't actually own their appliances, they just rent access to them.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
I want to know what the .4% without access to a fridge are doing. Is that like the percentage of totally homeless people or what?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
At least .1% of them store their food within a 4 foot radius of a small shard of Mitt Romneys heart so technically they're doing okay too.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

cafel posted:

I don't get the inclusion of gas/electric stoves. Gas stoves have seen widespread commercial use since the 1880's. It's only natural that something that's existed for over a century and is a cornerstone in supplying a one of humanities most basic needs would be widespread. The fact that over 3% of households don't have a gas or electric stove points to a serious problem involving how much time and money the poorest people have available to spend towards cooking.

If the poor are doing anything other than cooking bland nutrient paste in fires burning their own poo poo the whole system is wrong and must be burnt down at all costs. And they should consider themselves LUCKY to have the nutrient paste.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If the poor are doing anything other than cooking bland nutrient paste in fires burning their own poo poo the whole system is wrong and must be burnt down at all costs. And they should consider themselves LUCKY to have the nutrient paste.

Hell, they should consider themselves lucky for the privilege of dieing in a garment factory fire.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Glenn Beck is now a pacifist because "war is a progressive idea" and Hillary Clinton is basically Woodrow Wilson or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SILdDYqAtKQ

He's now finding that he can extend this thesis to other politicians. For example, we learn today that Mitt Romney was a progressive because he favored going to war. I bet all the radical left wingers in America are sad now that they didn't vote for noted progressive Curtis LeMay to become Vice President back in '68!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Joementum posted:

Glenn Beck is now a pacifist because "war is a progressive idea" and Hillary Clinton is basically Woodrow Wilson or something.

He's now finding that he can extend this thesis to other politicians. For example, we learn today that Mitt Romney was a progressive because he favored going to war. I bet all the radical left wingers in America are sad now that they didn't vote for noted progressive Curtis LeMay to become Vice President back in '68!

Never has this image been more appropriate:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Wow that bow tie. It's like he's channeling Tucker Carlson's decomposing corpse of a career.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Joementum posted:

Is that a penis in the background?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Joementum posted:

I mean, of course that's right, there has only been wars since about the 1870's correct?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Joementum posted:

Beck loved how he felt on 9/12/2001 so much that he started a national club about it, and now he doesn't want to share the feeling of camaraderie that only comes from the murder of thousands of fellow citizens. FYGM indeed.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
He must really hate that one ultra-progressive guy who went around on a loving bus tour cheerleading frivolous progressive war then, what was that guys name? Flynn Brech or something?

http://archive.glennbeck.com/news/04212003.shtml

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Coach will set you straight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTwpBLzxe4U

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mercury_Storm posted:

Wow that bow tie. It's like he's channeling Tucker Carlson's decomposing corpse of a career.

Speaking of whom, let's see what The Daily Caller thinks of the new version of Crossfire or, more specifically, what they think of Stephanie Cutter.

quote:

To watch this latest incarnation of Crossfire is to confront, head-on, the defining unspoken reality of human existence: bad people like Stephanie Cutter can climb, in defiance of taste and public demand, to a position of success.

A loathsome creature like Stephanie Cutter, the roots jutting out from her blonde dye job as black as the recesses of her soul, can push her way onto national television to sit next to a former Speaker of the House and two sitting U.S. senators. A charmless, dead-eyed, tacky sociopath with no sense of ethics, an empty shell spewing her flat-throated bile without the slightest trace of self-awareness, can beat all of us to the front of the Darwinian line.

A figure of hatred and dishonesty, a person devoid of any pleasantness or redeeming human value, a treadmill-stomping, Starbucks-chugging monument to modern self-absorption, someone incapable of appreciating good art, fine food, or the love or kidness of her fellow man, can shove and kick and lie her way ahead of the rest of us in this misbegotten society. This unmitigated monster can appear before us, talentless, grating, fraudulently tanned, thrusting in our faces the career trophies she earned simply because we didn’t care enough to stop her from getting them.

Who is responsible for this speed-talking tragedy? Who, among us, will stand in the public square and admit “I helped cause Stephanie Cutter.” Will anyone? Should we all?

Stephanie Cutter is feminism mutated into grotesque cartoon. She is the 90-IQ suburbanite Student Council vice president smugly doodling her gel pens in the front row of the class, mixed with the ranting fever dreams of the Smith College lecture halls, doused with half a dash of unearned metropolitan haughtiness and marinated in the despicable shouting matches of post-Carville politicking. She is Carrie Bradshaw without the literacy, Chelsea Handler without the punch lines, Kirsten Powers without the prettiness, gorging her face with the spoils of ill-gotten first-world privilege. How did we allow this American with a Social Security number to power-walk through the halls of our society for 44 years (yes, Stephanie, forty-four) without recognizing the warning signs?

The ‘Crossfire’ debut dwells on the subject of Syria, with colorful Gingrich and good doctor Rand Paul and (cough) Bob Menendez debating the merits of U.S. military intervention. But their voices were lost amid the cackles and jagged bursts of violent faux-laughter put forth by makeup-coated Cutter. By the time she chokes out her staged “Ceasefire” in agreement with Gingrich at the show’s long-awaited end, we the viewers have squirmed, have sighed, have shaken our heads in suspended disbelief, have clutched our sides in indescribable, throbbing pain. She leaves us exhausted in our discomfort.

Did America request this? Could Jeff Zucker have possibly taken any focus group data before sitting Stephanie Cutter before his cameras? What perverted kind of ‘Q’ rating could have convinced these cable executives that middle-income 18-to-49 year olds desire an evening date with this catty air-kissing backstabbing specimen? Where are the John and Jane Q. Citizens crying out and calling in, “Give us more Cutter”?

Why? On behalf of every cute, shy, intelligent young woman rejected by sororities at the fuchsia nails of clipboard-toting middle managers like Cutter, we ask, ‘why?’ On behalf of every hardworking man forced to report to vaguely qualified female “corporate consultants” in a post-Anita Hill world, we ask, ‘why?’

Is that the point? Are we supposed to see visions of the worst villains from our own lives while gazing up at the specter of Cutter, conjuring in us an indescribable stew of self-disgust that will keep us coming back, masochistically, to this demented cable program like the characters of the Marquis de Sade?

Good God.

The Daily Caller is, of course, run by Tucker Carlson who hosted Crossfire in its previous incarnation until it was cancelled. But this totally isn't sour grapes.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He must really hate that one ultra-progressive guy who went around on a loving bus tour cheerleading frivolous progressive war then, what was that guys name? Flynn Brech or something?

http://archive.glennbeck.com/news/04212003.shtml

Well, he heard Hillary Clinton speak, then he looked went on wikipedia for Progressives and he came to his senses now.

Wait, does that mean he use to be a Progressive? and the Founding Fathers went to war, were they Progressives too :tinfoil:

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Modern Day Hercules posted:

I want to know what the .4% without access to a fridge are doing. Is that like the percentage of totally homeless people or what?

Had a summer job once doing maintenance work for a vacation property. My accommodations had an ice box, not a proper refrigerator. There was a little door on the outside where a delivery guy would slide in a new chunk of ice as the old one melted.

I imagine people in dormitories, renting single rooms, and actual homeless make up the overwhelming majority of that group though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cafel posted:

The fact that over 3% of households don't have a gas or electric stove points to a serious problem involving how much time and money the poorest people have available to spend towards cooking.

You wouldn't have one if you're living long term in a motel/hotel or certain other kinds of housing. Plus a lot of people do just roll with a microwave/hot plate setup, or use outside grills, or other things like that.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

Beck is like a toddler who refuses to play with his favorite toy anymore because he saw his sister having fun with it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The best part of that video for me is when it cuts to his staff and they're just ignoring him and reading on their laptops.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Modern Day Hercules posted:

The last time someone I knew brought up the statistics about what appliances poor people "owned", the data actually came from housing surveys done during a census, so none of the statistics included the worst-off, most in poverty segment of the population. "Households" don't include the homeless and transient, or people that are lying on the form to hide the fact that the apartment houses 10 illegals packed in like sardines. So often these stats aren't even including the worst of the poor.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Joementum posted:

The best part of that video for me is when it cuts to his staff and they're just ignoring him and reading on their laptops.

I'd like to imagine most of them are just facepalming mentally and thinking, "Well, it's a paycheck."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Why the hell does his morning meeting include him looking like he is about to submit a tale to the midnight society?