Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Mahoning posted:

Have any SERO folks managed to upgrade their phones recently anywhere besides a corporate Sprint store? Just curious.

I did mine at an apple store, but I was paranoid so I called first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

Duckman2008 posted:

This. I would recommend moving to Google voice overall, if you don't care about MMS and iMessage it does free up your number quite a bit. So depends on your plan, but since most plans are unlimited call/text, there tends to be fewer reasons not to use google voice and just have random number on Verizon.

If I make an outgoing call or text from the verizon would it appear to originate from my google voice number or my verizon number?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

I usually see issues like that when you're roaming or just in a weak service area (where it may flip back and forth between Sprint and roaming). Some people it's on and off for, but we have customers in some areas that get issues pretty consistently.

It's been better lately, but I've had issues with texts sent from home going through a day or two later in the past. I get 1-2 bars in most of my house and roam in rooms with no windows. I think doing the Google Voice integration helped, too.

I've had GV integration since it was released and it has helped quite a bit. I've been able to use GV to diagnose like if it doesn't see a message sent to me that means it has something to do with the carriers. I know my house is relatively low signal but doesn't having GV basically negate having bad signal? As long as I can check GV then I can tell if I got a message.

I know MMS isn't done through GV but it still surprises me that it took twelve hours for me to get the group message because I drove past a Sprint Tower later that day and still didn't get the messages.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I've had a lot of trouble the past few months. Messages seem to queue up sometimes.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

I didn't mean you were on Sprint. I meant that if the person who has sent you the message is on Sprint, it'll work.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Since I'm on a SERO plan and am gonna trade in my 4S for a 5S, is a corporate store the only way to go? I'm not sure how buybacks work with online/phone sales.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Mahoning posted:

Since I'm on a SERO plan and am gonna trade in my 4S for a 5S, is a corporate store the only way to go? I'm not sure how buybacks work with online/phone sales.

It always pops up a buyback offer when I go to browse phones on the Sprint site with my SERO account, so you may be able to do it online.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hmm. Funny others mention SMS issues. I haven't had any problem sending or receiving them instantly, however lately I have been having issues with received text coming in again, and sometimes again, so I have to go in and delete the duplicate text I receive from people and it is freaking annoying. It doesn't happen all the time nor with everyone, but it seems carrier independent as well as tower independent unless they are working on all the towers I use at home/work.

Also while I love my Arrive, and the new Windows Phone options on Sprint are a downright joke vs the Nokia offerings everywhere else (HTC and Samsung could do better, but alas) I am really tempted to give the HTC ONE in Red a try. Trying to pick it up from a 3rd party instead of using my upgrade, but I am curious on others experiences with it. My time on an EVO 4G LTE was meh at best, the Hardware was good for games and certain apps, but multitasking was awful with the 1G of ram filling up almost at boot and Maps being unusable, having the phone reboot randomly in the middle of the night, and other weird android quirks that seem consistent with my experience with the platform over the years. My Arrive just chugs away for months on end between reboots, but the lack of 4G and a bigger screen is sort of getting to me. Mainly my draw for a new piece of tech that is a sickness I have.

However isn't the ONE MAX suppose to be out around the corner with a Snap 800? If it comes out in RED I may have to wait for that...

Just pisses me off the Nokia 1520 is another friggin AT&T Exclusive... :negative:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I'm pretty sure the HTC One is a good upgrade all around from the Evo LTE, but after the disaster that the Evo was I will never give HTC another dime of my money. Why not go with a GS3?

My Dad and sister both have the HTC One and they hate it, though I don't know why or have specifics on what it is they don't like about it. I know my sister complains that the camera on it "never focuses" and takes bad pictures, but it could be user error.

Basically, the gist of my post is that I have a really bad bias against HTC because of the Evo LTE and it sounds like your experiences with the Evo were the same as mine, so why go with HTC for ANOTHER phone that may or may not have problems when you can get a Samsung phone that actually works.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

My friends have S3's and they have similar issues to what I had with my EVO. The only saving grace is it can multitask a bit better since the S3 had 2G of ram to the LTE's 1G.

However I continue to hate the feel, look, and design of the S series phones and don't care to support Samsung at all.

I have been with HTC since they made the Dell Axim X50v and have had reasonably good experiences since then through the phone line from the PPC6700. I don't feel the need to change now.

Hell if I did go Samsung, I might as well try the Ativ S Neo WP8 device since it is a spitting image of the S3.

I have to admit that after tinkering with my LTE as a Wifi device for a bit recently, the Phone still can get bogged down, but it may be that Google has fixed some of their apps (mainly MAPS) and it no longer crashes every single time I use it... further testing is needed, but they may have reduced their Ram hogging a bit for once.

It is a bummer Motorola and LG continue to make crap because on paper, that LG G2 looks downright wicked hardware spec wise.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 12, 2013

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I'm pretty sure the HTC One is a good upgrade all around from the Evo LTE, but after the disaster that the Evo was I will never give HTC another dime of my money. Why not go with a GS3?

My Dad and sister both have the HTC One and they hate it, though I don't know why or have specifics on what it is they don't like about it. I know my sister complains that the camera on it "never focuses" and takes bad pictures, but it could be user error.

Basically, the gist of my post is that I have a really bad bias against HTC because of the Evo LTE and it sounds like your experiences with the Evo were the same as mine, so why go with HTC for ANOTHER phone that may or may not have problems when you can get a Samsung phone that actually works.

My first HTC one wouldn't focus. Have her get it swapped. The phones fantastic.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

EdEddnEddy posted:

Just pisses me off the Nokia 1520 is another friggin AT&T Exclusive... :negative:

I want the Lumia 1020. I know it's a niche market but I am part of that niche, I love taking pictures and camera phones usually suck pretty hard.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Just got my Moto X. I figure I'll give this a try for a bit in hopes that Motorola put a better radio in it than Samsung did in the Galaxy Nexus while I decide whether to keep it (and my SERO plan) or return it in a week and jump ship to T-Mo.

I have to say, so far it's a really gorgeous device. If I do drop Sprint, I'll probably get a SIM-only plan on T-Mobile and take one of the phones I have at work home for a bit until the Play Store Moto X is available.

Edit: I just realized there's no Sprint logo on this. At all.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 13, 2013

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

TLG James posted:

Google voice can work on wifi pretty easily as far as I know. At least for text messages. It's pretty much the only way I can text message in foreign countries. It kept me on sprint for longer than I should have been.

This is pretty much the only way I can reliably send a text message while in my basement.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I used to have an Arrive as well and now have the HTC One. The phone is awesome and much nicer looking than the GS3/4. The only thing I miss from my GS3 is the physical home button. I get comments from people all the time about my phone. Even people that have iPhones. I wish I could trade it for a blue HTC One though :(

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Conversely, I had a Samsung Transform. Several of them, actually, until Sprint bumped my upgrade date up over a year when I replaced it with an Evo3D (and now, an HTC One). HTC is on track to have my device business forever, and Samsung can suck it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TLG James posted:

I didn't mean you were on Sprint. I meant that if the person who has sent you the message is on Sprint, it'll work.

Well gently caress.

Sprint's like the Brazilian Disney travel bus full of kids with behavior and cognitive issues. Incredibly slow, horribly irritating, and they monopolize the fun stuff.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I keep having "Mobile Data Connection Error" notifications popping up, along with terrible data service. What gives? Who do I call or where do I go? This is a major city that supposedly has 4g lte or whatever. I'm on a SGS4.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

The Bananana posted:

I keep having "Mobile Data Connection Error" notifications popping up, along with terrible data service. What gives? Who do I call or where do I go? This is a major city that supposedly has 4g lte or whatever. I'm on a SGS4.

Those sound like network issues. You could take it into a repair store but they'll probably say it's not the phone. You can call customer care and ask for a bill credit, maybe.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Sometimes my Airave will simply stop functioning completely or the reception will drop down to 1 bar when the phone is right next to it (and I'm pretty sure it's not my phone jumping to a tower, normally I don't even get 1 bar without it). What could cause this? It does get a little warm but no warmer than my router so I'm not sure if it's heat.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Biodome posted:

Those sound like network issues. You could take it into a repair store but they'll probably say it's not the phone. You can call customer care and ask for a bill credit, maybe.

"NETWORK VISION PROJECT"

That'll be the answer. Promise.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
This guy on the Russian stream doesn't seem terribly smart.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

So my brother and my girlfriend did the BOGO HTC One from an authorized reseller (not corporate) last month.

Got my bill today, and TEP was added on both lines. I came along to the store when they bought them, and the rep didn't say word one about adding TEP, and they would have declined it if he had (lets not get into the TEP debate please. I understand the risks of not having it.). I checked the paperwork, and it's on there, so ultimately it is my fault, but it seems quite slimy.

I called Sprint, and they've taken it off, but I'll have to pay it pro-rated for a few weeks. I'm fine with paying the $20 or whatever. Is there a Sprint reseller rating line or anything I can do to complain about them adding it without saying anything about it, or would that just be yelling into a black hole? I'm not furious or anything, but if I can complain to someone that matters, I'd like to.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
What an oddly specific analogy.

Well, my Motorola Photon is giving me some trouble, so I might as well look at upgrading. It's been a long ride, Gingerbread, but it's time to move on. Are there any Sprint phones ready for the transition to Nextel's repurposed frequencies?

I seem to be having a very odd problem with my phone's GPS. Both Waze and Sprint Navigation will stop displaying large swaths of the map and it's oddly disconcerting. Won't work even after I reset the drat things.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Grumpwagon posted:

So my brother and my girlfriend did the BOGO HTC One from an authorized reseller (not corporate) last month.

Got my bill today, and TEP was added on both lines. I came along to the store when they bought them, and the rep didn't say word one about adding TEP, and they would have declined it if he had (lets not get into the TEP debate please. I understand the risks of not having it.). I checked the paperwork, and it's on there, so ultimately it is my fault, but it seems quite slimy.

I called Sprint, and they've taken it off, but I'll have to pay it pro-rated for a few weeks. I'm fine with paying the $20 or whatever. Is there a Sprint reseller rating line or anything I can do to complain about them adding it without saying anything about it, or would that just be yelling into a black hole? I'm not furious or anything, but if I can complain to someone that matters, I'd like to.

If the rep didn't mention it, how is it your fault? gently caress that, call back and have them remove the $20. Be polite but firm.

the littlest prince fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 15, 2013

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I seem to recall reading something about upcoming phones supporting different bands or something of that sort? Anyone recall what this is and can give me the details? I'm thinking about getting a Moto X but I don't know if it has that.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
Sprint's primary band is 1900Mhz, so all phones support that.
Any new phone will also do voice on the 800Mhz band Sprint got from Nextel.
We're still waiting for phones that will support LTE on 800Mhz, and 2500Mhz (the band that was Clearwire's)

Several phones have passed through the FCC with triband LTE support, so they'll be out Soon.

upcoming Sprint triband LTE phones:
Nexus 5
LG G2
Galaxy S4 Mini
Galaxy Mega 6.3

iPhone 5c/5S - will do LTE on 800 & 1900, but not 2500

lazydog fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 15, 2013

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Grumpwagon posted:

Which reseller did you go to?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A while back this thread mentioned that the Galaxy S4 would have a revision with LTE on the repurposed Nextel bands. Any truth to that or any update?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Grumpwagon posted:

Email dan@sprint.com and you may get a response. Also, corporate stores will do that poo poo too. Check your receipts, y'all!

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

FlyingCheese posted:

Sometimes my Airave will simply stop functioning completely or the reception will drop down to 1 bar when the phone is right next to it (and I'm pretty sure it's not my phone jumping to a tower, normally I don't even get 1 bar without it). What could cause this? It does get a little warm but no warmer than my router so I'm not sure if it's heat.

I may be wrong but I think that your are technically supposed to post chucks your phone to get it to connect to the airave. It is less likely that the airave is not functioning than your phone just connecting to a sit tower and not switching over.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
So is it true the Note 3 is only going to be LTE 1900. Cause that's gonna suck balls if that's the case.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

A while back this thread mentioned that the Galaxy S4 would have a revision with LTE on the repurposed Nextel bands. Any truth to that or any update?

Two posts above yours.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

The reseller will have their own feedback email, so emailing that plus dan@sprint.com will do the trick.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SpelledBackwards posted:

Two posts above yours.

No, I mean the Galaxy S4 like the one that's already out, just with added Nextel band support.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I need to figure out how I'm going to port my phone number to GV without cancelling my contract.

Any thoughts? I vaguely recall seeing it somewhere in this thread.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

ryanbruce posted:

I need to figure out how I'm going to port my phone number to GV without cancelling my contract.

Any thoughts? I vaguely recall seeing it somewhere in this thread.

I've done this once. I was getting harassing phone calls because I had the same number as a telemarketer except area code. After about two months of calls and a few threats on my life they allowed me to port my number and reestablish service without changing my upgrade date.

The twist is I was an employee at the time so I had no contract technically, just an upgrade date. It took a few weeks of calls and escalations. Eventually they couldn't even transfer me to the next level of manager. It was just a single person who handled employee issues at that level and they had to submit a special request for her to call me.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

lazydog posted:

Sprint's primary band is 1900Mhz, so all phones support that.
Any new phone will also do voice on the 800Mhz band Sprint got from Nextel.
We're still waiting for phones that will support LTE on 800Mhz, and 2500Mhz (the band that was Clearwire's)

Several phones have passed through the FCC with triband LTE support, so they'll be out Soon.

upcoming Sprint triband LTE phones:
Nexus 5
LG G2
Galaxy S4 Mini
Galaxy Mega 6.3

iPhone 5c/5S - will do LTE on 800 & 1900, but not 2500

Thanks, this was super helpful!

Wilford Cutlery: googling around about a GS4 tri-band version gets me rumors about it being tri-band and nothing more.

Other stuff: Sprint's answer to other carriers' new upgrade programs.

bobula fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 16, 2013

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Also worth noting in one of those screenshots: the old plans go away on 10/11, leaving only the Unlimited My Way and My All-in. Once I'm forced to go to that I guess I'll be on my way somewhere else since I can get Verizon and AT&T for the same price (factoring in employee discounts and usage between my wife and I) and get better service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
What makes you think they won't grandfather in existing accounts? They can't simply boot you off of it, you signed a contract.

Giblet posted:

I may be wrong but I think that your are technically supposed to post chucks your phone to get it to connect to the airave. It is less likely that the airave is not functioning than your phone just connecting to a sit tower and not switching over.

... I'm supposed to post chucks my phone?