Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I have many friends whose fathers call them friendly, loving names yet have very healthy relationships with them as normal, prospering adults.

I guess behind the scenes their fathers were literally throwing them across rooms at walls to build character whenever they mouthed off as children :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Lou Diamond Phillips is kind of awesome.

They took my dachshund!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
So it's not just me who heard quite possibly the most racist thing Adam has ever said on the Dr. Drew and Adam show today right? Does anything top that one?

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Veskit posted:

So it's not just me who heard quite possibly the most racist thing Adam has ever said on the Dr. Drew and Adam show today right? Does anything top that one?

Refresh my memory please

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I skipped it because the description starts with, "Adam and Drew open the show discussing instant gratification and how the ability to get anything you want these days has been a negative for kids." Gee, what a novel concept!

I rely heavily on this thread to tell me which episodes were good. I'd probably have skipped the Joy Koy episodes, which would have been a big mistake!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Ez posted:

Refresh my memory please

A lady caller calls in. She explains that she's white, lives in Georgia. and is dating online, and fell in love with a guy. She then got his pictures, and found out he was black. Adam, then goes on a rant about how sometimes people don't find other races attractive, and there's yellow fever and blah blah blah. Drew then pipes up and says I'm not feeling that this is that case, and is instead maybe racism, so we should go back and ask her why. Now, that wasn't the part where it went over board. Next, they go back to her ask her why and she says because I can only gently caress a black dude, but I couldn't spent my life with someone because I don't want to have black kids, AND ADAM, loving, DEFENDS IT by saying that you know, it's ok to be Jewish and specifically want to date Jews, and people generally stick to their own kind. Worst of all, Drew just says nothing, and they hang up on her basically saying, yeah go ahead date only white poeple if it makes you happy :psyduck:

I honestly wish I wasn't over exaggerating because finally, it's been overboard. Like this one just pushes me over the edge to go seriously you two what the gently caress are your dumb brains thinking.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
That doesn't seem more racist than, "Hawaiians are lazy people and that's why they've contributed nothing to society."

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I don't think its too big of a deal. Doesn't everyone want kids who look like them?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
It's also 100% true to a sizable portion of the country across all races. It's absolutely racist though but it'll die out soon enough. Going by the people I know, I think Jews and Asians are much more adamant about dating within the tribe than white people. You guys have made more inroads on that than most races, in the US at least.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Unfortunately there's still a stigma out there for mixed kids, and it is racist. But could be equal parts racism on her part and a desire for her kids to not grow up being bullied because of their race.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Ariza posted:

It's also 100% true to a sizable portion of the country across all races. It's absolutely racist though but it'll die out soon enough. Going by the people I know, I think Jews and Asians are much more adamant about dating within the tribe than white people. You guys have made more inroads on that than most races, in the US at least.

Yeah it's a racist thing, not wanting to mix races, but Adam calling it out doesn't make him racist. Also, I've known a couple people who simply aren't attracted to certain races and I know they're not racist. That caller was weird though, she has a black boyfriend who she loves and has sex with but she doesn't want to have kids with because she doesn't want black children? Is she a racist? Yes and no, I don't know.

"We've crafted a society" where if you even mention somebody's race you're branded a racist so it's hard to know what the term really means anymore but in my mind you have to have some sort of hatred, fear or distrust of a certain race of people to truly be racist. Adam says a lot of racist things and has a lot of biased and ignorant opinions on race that make him sound like a huge biggot but I don't think he harbours any real negative feelings towards any race in particular.

Medullah posted:

Unfortunately there's still a stigma out there for mixed kids, and it is racist. But could be equal parts racism on her part and a desire for her kids to not grow up being bullied because of their race.

Lets not forget that woman was from Georgia too. I'm sure it's a much bigger deal there.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
Is it so wrong that I, as a tall blond, want to marry another tall blonde so our children have a reasonable shot at becoming A&F models?

I know plenty of people who won't date certain races/outside their race but are not racist. What Adam said doesn't come off as racist at all.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm the product of morally reprehensible races traitors and imo it's not racist at all to not be attracted to certain races. Everyone has their own personal preference for what get like and you have very little control over what your body reacts to. If your favorite color is green can you explain that or logically break that down? Of course not, it just "is".

That said, dating another race because you find them attractive but not wanting to have "black kids" around sounds pretty loving racist to me :frogbon:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
No, it's still racist.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ez posted:

Adam says a lot of racist things and has a lot of biased and ignorant opinions on race that make him sound like a huge biggot but...

Literally the "I'm not a racist, but..." line but applied to someone else. Ez, you seem like a cool dude who likes Adam, but you have to admit he's racist. Racism isn't just calling black people the n-word and joining the KKK, and Adam is a huge practitioner of dog-whistle racism.

Honestly, I really enjoy some of his points and I'm not trying to be the PC Police here, but it's becoming increasingly clear as time goes on that Adam has lovely viewpoints about a lot of things. Perfect example - for a dude who hosted a sex advice show, he's pretty behind the times on trans issues.

E: VVV Well, it's only one example. There's also his views on taxes, anything to do with government, his idea that we should basically practice eugenics with stupid people, etc.

Also, there's a way to admit that you don't understand a lot about trans issues without being a shitheel about it. Adam did not choose that way.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 13, 2013

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Literally the "I'm not a racist, but..." line but applied to someone else. Ez, you seem like a cool dude who likes Adam, but you have to admit he's racist. Racism isn't just calling black people the n-word and joining the KKK, and Adam is a huge practitioner of dog-whistle racism.

Honestly, I really enjoy some of his points and I'm not trying to be the PC Police here, but it's becoming increasingly clear as time goes on that Adam has lovely viewpoints about a lot of things. Perfect example - for a dude who hosted a sex advice show, he's pretty behind the times on trans issues.

99.99% of the world is behind the times on trans issues, especially over the age of 25 (completely arbitrary, I know). It's really only become a big thing in the last couple of years, unless you were in one of the few communities in the country that had a large population of them. Go back five years on these here message boards and tell me trans issues were important and thought about, now you say something negative and you get probated or banned. The internet has changed, maybe college campuses have changed, but almost everyone else doesn't care.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

WampaLord posted:

E: VVV Well, it's only one example. There's also his views on taxes, anything to do with government, his idea that we should basically practice eugenics with stupid people, etc.

Also, there's a way to admit that you don't understand a lot about trans issues without being a shitheel about it. Adam did not choose that way.

I have no idea what "dog whistle racism" is but I just see Adam as a simple minded, old fashioned, practical guy who is too stubborn to admit that he doesn't have all the answers. If you think he's racist then fine, but I don't think there's anything hateful or malicious behind the things that he says. Ignorant and short sighted sure, but I don't think he hates black people or Asian people or whatever.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ez posted:

I have no idea what "dog whistle racism" is

First off, I'll say that like you, I don't think Adam straight up hates black people or any other minority. I think that he hates poor people.

What I mean with "dog whistle racism" is using code words that racists pick up on but normal people don't.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-december-13-2011/newt-gingrich-s-poverty-code

Basically, that clip does a better job summing it up than I ever could. "Poor people" is often code for "minorities" and the way Adam rants about poor people line up with the way racists would rant about minorities. Adam does this all the loving time with his talk about how "that's just how their culture is."

E: What Cromulent said (great username, btw). Every time Adam talks about how lovely some other people's culture is, that's racism.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 13, 2013

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

WampaLord posted:

Adam doesn't use "dog whistle racism". He's very open about his (mild to moderately) racist opinions. Adam's racist opinions comes from the fact that he has an extreme hatred of the poor. In the US, someone who is poor has a disproportional chance of being non-white. Who you are attracted to and who you want to have kids with does not fall under one of these racist opinions.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I also don't think Adam is a hateful racist, but the clip that got Andy Kindler all riled up is pretty indefensible. I don't have it handy, but it's Adam angrily talking about Mexicans, and he straight-up says "Our culture is superior to theirs." He literally uses those words, which is pretty much the definition of racism.

But that girl who called in about the black guy/children is a strange case. I don't even know what you'd call that, when you're dating, attracted-to, and have sex with a black guy, but don't want black kids. Biological racism maybe? I don't know.

EDIT: And I think Adam's hated of the poor is pretty clearly a reflection of how he feels about his own family, not necessarily other races who happened to be predominately poor.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Cromulent posted:

I also don't think Adam is a hateful racist, but the clip that got Andy Kindler all riled up is pretty indefensible. I don't have it handy, but it's Adam angrily talking about Mexicans, and he straight-up says "Our culture is superior to theirs." He literally uses those words, which is pretty much the definition of racism.

But that girl who called in about the black guy/children is a strange case. I don't even know what you'd call that, when you're dating, attracted-to, and have sex with a black guy, but don't want black kids. Biological racism maybe? I don't know.

EDIT: And I think Adam's hated of the poor is pretty clearly a reflection of how he feels about his own family, not necessarily other races who happened to be predominately poor.

Is this biological racism a wrong thing though? I get the hunch she's not an actual racist in the sense that she hates blacks or feels superior. I agree it's pretty bizarre to gently caress and love someone but put a stop on it due to baby mixing.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Social Animal posted:

Is this biological racism a wrong thing though? I get the hunch she's not an actual racist in the sense that she hates blacks or feels superior. I agree it's pretty bizarre to gently caress and love someone but put a stop on it due to baby mixing.

It's not really about it being wrong anymore, it's about fostering a sense of superiority. Saying 'poor people' counts as racism now so I guess everyone except the correct chosen few are ok and everyone else is a piece of poo poo racist/homophobe/transphobe(?). Lexicon policing is the laziest and least effective form of social change, but it sure is easier than doing something real. Eve and WOW and Breaking Bad and Fantasy Football, ya know?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Please tell us about the society we've crafted.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WampaLord posted:

First off, I'll say that like you, I don't think Adam straight up hates black people or any other minority. I think that he hates poor people.

I think that he hates his parents. And his parents were the definition of the welfare queen stereotype. And so I think he assumes that most people who are in that situation are like his parents. He goes too far with it just like those on the other side go too far thinking that working hard is some kind of evil creed.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Niwrad posted:

I think that he hates his parents. And his parents were the definition of the welfare queen stereotype. And so I think he assumes that most people who are in that situation are like his parents. He goes too far with it just like those on the other side go too far thinking that working hard is some kind of evil creed.

Yea, but he shits all over Ray and as far as I'm aware Ray isn't on welfare. I do give him a bit of slack because his mom is literally a welfare queen, but he still hates poor people with a ferocity that is not warranted. He basically blames them for all of society's ills.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm not saying it's right. I just think it's anger toward his parents being redirected at others.

Come to think of it, it's probably a miracle he isn't more hosed up. I can't imagine having parents who care so little about you that they wouldn't even tune in to see you on the Tonight Show. Or read your books. Or even know the name of the shows you appear on. Even if he acts like he doesn't care, that has to be something that eats him up inside.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

I love how Adam spent 15 minutes talking about how genetics determines your entire life and how you can't change who you are no matter what you do, then has to hock those lovely brain pills that he obviously doesn't give a poo poo about. I miss Mangrate.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Boinks posted:

I don't think its too big of a deal. Doesn't everyone want kids who look like them?

NOOOOOOOO. Noooooo. No that is so loving untrue. This is implying that parents are disappointed by kids that have different skin colors than their own? Quincy Jones must be terribly upset by how his daughter came out I guess? Or at least midly upset that she's not black enough looking?

Medullah posted:

This is an excuse to hold racist views. If you turn it around, would you say it's reasonable for a black couple to not have black children because they might be the victims of racism?

Ez posted:

Lets not forget that woman was from Georgia too. I'm sure it's a much bigger deal there.

The thing that bugs me is that yeah she's from Georgia, and it's more racist there for sure than other parts of the country, BUT her reasoning's implications were far more that she didn't want to have a half black family, as opposed to she doesn't want to have kids who have to deal with it. She didn't want to be judged basically, or have a different life from dating a black person.

Social Animal posted:

I'll stop here and say yes it's loving actually racist. How is it not. Biological racism is saying that my genes are better than yours, and that the color of your skin means a lot to me. If you weren't a fuckign racist you'd say I don't want my child involved in black culture, not I don't want to have a black kid. There's a huge difference. I wouldn't want my kids around the wrong kind of black culture either. It's also greatly implying that the race is hosed. It's not.

I honestly thought that it was so obviously racist that you guys wouldn't be able to defend it, but I guess it's just only slightly racist? The part that bugs me that you can judge CULTURES all you want, and just be a nationalist. Nobody calls a frenchmen racist because he believes in France and believes it's better than all the other lovely countries, but it is racist to say I wouldn't want to be with a French brown person. Adam is highly judgemental of cultures, which isn't racist. Although it's not exactly politically correct, it makes sense that people will identify themselves as part of a group, and then run with it. You're not racist for saying Jamacians are lazy, regardless of how well informed you are or aren't. To judge someone though because their skin is dark however is loving abhorrent, and inexcusable. Lastly does nobody else see how loving ludicrously retarded it is to want children that look like yourself when children are supposed to be the embodiment of unconditional love?

Veskit fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 14, 2013

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Actually I see children as something to pass my genes and my comic book collection down to.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Holy gently caress, Bryan has gotten so lazy with the drops. Allison talked about fearing ants crawling up her butt yesterday and he didn't play "There's something in my butt", and then later Adam talked about Whoopee Goldberg stammering on the view and he didn't play that clip of Whoopee stammering. He did shoehorn in "It's just a waste of my time" in a spot where it made no sense though, so I guess he earned his paycheck this week.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Marry whoever you want to for whatever reason you want to. Don't marry someone for whatever reason you want to. Who loving cares? It's your life.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Ez posted:

Holy gently caress, Bryan has gotten so lazy with the drops. Allison talked about fearing ants crawling up her butt yesterday and he didn't play "There's something in my butt", and then later Adam talked about Whoopee Goldberg stammering on the view and he didn't play that clip of Whoopee stammering. He did shoehorn in "It's just a waste of my time" in a spot where it made no sense though, so I guess he earned his paycheck this week.

I miss rolling or drunk Anderson from the old days and the way he had his system setup so nobody else could do his job. I have been skipping most of TACS other than the 1 on 1s because those are usually pretty great, especially with comedians. The Adam and Drew show without guests is almost unlistenable too because they take 7 minutes of calls and the rest of the time Adam yells about nonsense and Drew almost immediately kowtows to whatever Adam's position is. Drew's shows where he interviews Adam's friends are uber creepy and fetishistic too (People just want to hear about Adam!)

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN

UltraRed posted:

Marry whoever you want to for whatever reason you want to. Don't marry someone for whatever reason you want to. Who loving cares? It's your life.

But what if some poster on the internet calls you a racist for a your preferences? What will you do then? :smug:

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Ez posted:

His drop machine is broken. He said it at the top of the show, he has a very select few drops on the laptop he's using.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

PUSSY LIPS!

Enjoy it now because I'm sure Bryan will run it into the ground by the end of the week.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Grant DaNasty posted:

PUSSY LIPS!

Enjoy it now because I'm sure Bryan will run it into the ground by the end of the week.

It's not even funny to begin with. I've heard it 3 times and I'm already sick of it. The only person on the show who generates consistently funny drops is Allison, but of course Bryan rarely plays those.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Oh man since Bryan's stupid sound machine seems to be fixed, he'd better have captured some drops from that awesome Dude-off between Dawson and Diamond Dallas Page, the wrestler guy who was guest today. It's about 1 hour 14 minutes in.

Also Allison is genius, she's the one who got it started.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
As much as it's fun to make fun of Adam when he's dominating interviews, he was really good in the interview with Corey from Slipknot. I'm almost positive he didn't buy a single iota of Corey's bullshit ghost stories but did a great job of remaining diplomatic with his interpretation of the paranormal and just letting his guest say his piece.

I just wonder why, with his very clear stance on the paranormal being total bullshit, he would book a guest that wrote a book on it if he wasn't going to challenge them?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

It's probably safe to say he has very little to do with the booking. I think that's Mike Lynch's department.

It was a good interview, Corey Taylor knows how to string sentences together unlike some rock stars who are total duds on air. I've heard him interviewed before and he always has interesting stuff to say. I was kinda disappointed they didn't talk more poo poo about ICP though. Those guys were on Loveline at least a couple times so I thought Carolla might have some stories, and I'm really curious what the frontman of another band that uses a, shall we say, theatrical flair really thinks about two rapping clowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Mike August does the booking. Lynch lives in New England now and is a therapist.