Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Bezos definitely does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Josh Lyman posted:

Has there been any "famous" Silicon Valley founder who was a good CEO for the stock? Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Jerry Yang, Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos, none of these people know how to manage a stock. :negative:

Probably because they're running a business.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sergein Brin and Larry Page? Larry Ellison? Michael Dell? Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard?

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

Josh Lyman posted:

Has there been any "famous" Silicon Valley founder who was a good CEO for the stock? Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Jerry Yang, Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos, none of these people know how to manage a stock. :negative:

Amazon is up 281% over 5 years. Or I guess if you want to go further out, 17,200% since it went public.

R.A. Dickey fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 12, 2013

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Yeah but what has he done for me today? haha

Wasn't this thread that posted that pretty good article on how managing stock prices and shareholder return is exactly the wrong thing to focus on, something akin to sports worrying about covering the spread.

Although I suppose in the stock picking thread that's really the main concern, secondary to a healthy business, I don't know.

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 12, 2013

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Using less than 140 characters, explain why the Twitter IPO is one to avoid.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

This is the gambling thread, not the investing thread.
(e: In response to Dial M for MURDER)

The Zynga management is certainly concerned about the stock price. From what I remember they haven't been particularly subtle about whether that or sound business fundamentals come first.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

TheBuilder posted:

Twitter IPO

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

TheBuilder posted:

I am very interested in their filing.

Want to see their P&L and revenue streams. Depending on the metrics it might be interesting.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

evilwaldo posted:

I am very interested in their filing.

Want to see their P&L and revenue streams. Depending on the metrics it might be interesting.

Less disclosure thanks to the JOBS act

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

The investors in this thread don't post as often, but we still exist.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Foma posted:

Less disclosure thanks to the JOBS act

I saw that and it turns me off.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

evilwaldo posted:

I saw that and it turns me off.

We need JOBS, if we have to sacrifice knowing information about the companies to get them, so be it. How many people did Zynga have to lay off because people found out they are a poo poo business? We could have saved those high paying tech jobs, if only...

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Doesn't the JOBS Act only apply to companies with less than a billion revenue? 10th most popular site on internet, < $1 billion revenue. lol

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

abagofcheetos posted:

Doesn't the JOBS Act only apply to companies with less than a billion revenue? 10th most popular site on internet, < $1 billion revenue. lol

In the social space, popularity does not equate to revenues by a long shot. If anything you can make a case that the opposite is true.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

evilwaldo posted:

In the social space, popularity does not equate to revenues by a long shot. If anything you can make a case that the opposite is true.

I know. I just find it amusing that people have already forgotten the tech bubble.

imabanana
May 26, 2006
Twitter can easily be a profitable, long lasting business. I don't see it going anywhere (if it did, someone would replicate it.) I'm interested in the IPO.

I like Facebook better though, in the social space, over the long run. At some point, if they are smart, Facebook will get more into search and try to directly compete with Google. Facebook Ads aren't that different of an animal from Adwords.

Could just be me desiring a viable Google competitor though. They've become a terrible search engine.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

abagofcheetos posted:

I know. I just find it amusing that people have already forgotten the tech bubble.

I agree with you. My biggest fear is they lipstick it up so bad it turns into a Facebook.

imabanana posted:

Twitter can easily be a profitable, long lasting business. I don't see it going anywhere (if it did, someone would replicate it.) I'm interested in the IPO.

I like Facebook better though, in the social space, over the long run. At some point, if they are smart, Facebook will get more into search and try to directly compete with Google. Facebook Ads aren't that different of an animal from Adwords.

Could just be me desiring a viable Google competitor though. They've become a terrible search engine.

Facebook hired some top level search people away from Google when their attempts at search imploded but I agree with you in that we need a competitor to Google.

In terms of longevity, I think Twitter beats Facebook in the long run. Teens and early 20's are turning away from the site as they see it as a place their parents go.

Another group of young adults are turning to smaller, more private, and robust social sites. It has become more about privacy and taking control over what they share.

Facebook is moving in the opposite direction from their user base. In 10 years, I can see them being an also ran with some of the decisions they are making and being known as a game aggregator.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Twitter's user base is older than Facebook's.
Bing is a credible competitor to Google (in terms of search result quality, at least).

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

DancingMachine posted:

Twitter's user base is older than Facebook's.
Bing is a credible competitor to Google (in terms of search result quality, at least).

Older or using? Teens are abandoning Facebook for other social media sites.

I will agree with you on Bing but the users are locked into Google. I use it myself by default because I am too lazy to change the default search engine on my browser.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

evilwaldo posted:

Older or using? Teens are abandoning Facebook for other social media sites.

I will agree with you on Bing but the users are locked into Google. I use it myself by default because I am too lazy to change the default search engine on my browser.

Yeah Facebook is aging out, agree. But Twitter is actually even higher up the age chart. I guess what remains to be seen is do kids "graduate" to Twitter as they reach their late 20's and 30's, or is Twitter just stuck with the cohort it has.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
I take Twitter's prospects much more seriously since people explicitly follow people they are interested in. Ie, there is intent there. Whereas with Facebook its just people you know. For example, I follow well-known software engineers and a few hedge fund managers/finance folks. Twitter ads could have me pegged pretty easily.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nebby posted:

I take Twitter's prospects much more seriously since people explicitly follow people they are interested in. Ie, there is intent there. Whereas with Facebook its just people you know. For example, I follow well-known software engineers and a few hedge fund managers/finance folks. Twitter ads could have me pegged pretty easily.

What do you think all those likes of books, movies, companies etc are for? Maybe you haven't liked every single thing you have consumed over the past 10 years, but other people do, and that is a freaking honeypot. The fact that Netflix/Hulu and Facebook haven't combined to completely replace the Nielsen Ratings is a sign of incompetence of both parties.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

I think where Facebook went wrong is their algorithm change on your news feed where they rearranged your feed based on what they thought was important.

Twitter keeps things in real time although they do cultivate from 250 followers in order to keep the feed manageable.

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013

evilwaldo posted:

I think where Facebook went wrong is their algorithm change on your news feed where they rearranged your feed based on what they thought was important.

I think you're on to something here. I recently deactivated my facebook because I realized that everyone posting stuff in my news feed just annoyed me and I'll be damned if I feel like going through and manually "managing" who shows up in my news feed. I felt like I was getting the same live feed posts from the same 25 people and incidentally they are people I haven't spoken to or seen in 5-7 years (why do I care what they have to say now?).

Most of the time I forget that I'm even friends with people on facebook who I actually interact with in my current social circle. The site has seriously gone down hill for me as far as user experience goes and it has little to nothing to do with advertising (I've actually clicked on ads I've been interested in to be honest).

80% serious suggestion:
What facebook really needs is a "dislike" or "hate" button. There should also be a feature where you can pay $5 to comment anonymously on your "friend's" stupid loving status update. If I could wreck people's poo poo without ruining real social relationships I'd be on facebook every waking hour. God imagine the revenues just from troll posts alone.

Lightning Zwei fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 13, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Acquilae posted:

Elon Musk: "It's not crazy to be short the stock"

TSLA down $6 AH :suicide:
Looks like he was quoted out of context: “Our valuation right now [assumes] a lot of good execution on our part in the future,” Musk told Fox News Thursday. “And we’re going to do our best to work hard and make sure that investors are not disappointed. … In the past, I said it’s really crazy to short Tesla. Is it so crazy to short Tesla right now? I mean, it’s not as crazy, but I still think it’s probably not a good idea.”

http://allthingsd.com/20130913/dont-bet-against-tesla-says-musk/

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

TSLA is so obviously overvalued but that doesn't make shorting it easy. The short interest is still huge. Most value investors will just avoid it.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Our school district is trying to push twitter as a means of student/parent contact. Our late 40s super is tweeting about schools she goes to. I think it reminds the older generation of text pagers, especially when tied to things like iphone/ipad.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

I get tremendous value out of Twitter (even more than Facebook) and think it's great, but I'm definitely not investing in it.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
Twitter is revolutionary. I think it outlasts FB by decades.

Not saying I would invest as that obviously depends on a number of things, but it does intrigue me.

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
Where would their growth come from? Single product that can be replicated by any blog or website. Far less of a moat compared to FB where users invest a lot of time and use it as a primary means of communication with friends, and staying in touch with non-friends, because everyone has it. If they increased ads like facebook, it would be far easier for users to consume content elsewhere.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

Replicated by a blog of website? Blogs for the most part are dying off because they are almost impossible to monetize. There are some examples but for the most part they are static content vehicles.

The fact that you can read, analyze, and react in real time make Twitter a more dynamic platform that is difficult to replicate.

The key here, and this is why I cannot stand the JOBS act, is that I want to know their P&L and sources of advertising. I want to know how they plan on monetizing content when the providers of content use it as a monetization vehicle for free.

I use it as a vehicle to push content out for my writing and get paid for it. Twitter takes no cut. They are the intermediary. I put up with paid advertising for the ability to tweet my paid content.

What is their five year plan?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Shear Modulus posted:

(e: In response to Dial M for MURDER)

The Zynga management is certainly concerned about the stock price. From what I remember they haven't been particularly subtle about whether that or sound business fundamentals come first.

CAREFUL you can get probated saying this poo poo

I agree, but investors really are around (myself included), and really reading this godforsaken bullshit - you just gotta learn everyone's personalities.

for the record though anyone actively trading apple is an idiot. :colbert:

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

Everyone is day trading options on Apple, Google, Tesla, and any other high priced stock.

You just intraday trade the options with the volatility and make a killing if you know what you are doing.

It is part of the reason they do not split.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

scavok posted:

Where would their growth come from? Single product that can be replicated by any blog or website. Far less of a moat compared to FB where users invest a lot of time and use it as a primary means of communication with friends, and staying in touch with non-friends, because everyone has it. If they increased ads like facebook, it would be far easier for users to consume content elsewhere.

Couldn't disagree with you more. The entire value and purpose of Twitter as a platform is that it is an aggregator, of things that you personally select and are interested in, which is something that no single blog or website can replicate by definition. Part of the reason I was down in the Facebook IPO was that I think people will eventually get bored of it and its user base will be eaten away at by the next new social media platform. I can't even imagine what can replace Twitter at this point both because of its establised user base and also the idea that it has both social media aspects and has been legitimatized as a news source (again, in the aggregate).

Whether its a good investment at this point is still up in the air without seeing the financials but I feel like if executed properly they have an amazing opportunity to generate ad revenue. The amount of data you can infer just based on who you follow and interact (and who they interact with, etc) is crazy. Take a look next time at the suggestions for who you should follow. For me at least, most of the time it's pretty dead on and it's only a matter of time before that technology gets monetized.

imabanana
May 26, 2006
Google Plus is probably technically a better platform than Facebook, just like Bing (arguably) provides better search results than Google. Eventually the moat becomes the size of the network.

I know everyone says Facebook will get replaced, I just don't see it. Instagram was a viable competitor and look what happened.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
WIth Twitter you can unfollow anyone you want at any time and it's no big deal. In other words, you can completely alter what the service does for you over time as your interests change. With Facebook, your network is completely different. Un-friending people is a social faux-pas and in general you are going to be stuck connected to a bunch of idiots you don't care about. Facebook has incredible staying power but this is a double-edge sword: the very thing that provides their moat also limits the possibilities of their platform.

It's pretty terrible we can't see TWTR's financial statements. I am bullish on Twitter the Product but how am I supposed to get a sense of what I'm willing to pay for Twitter the Company without this info?

f2a
Feb 17, 2005

the pound is stronger than the dolla, holla

evilwaldo posted:

Everyone is day trading options on Apple, Google, Tesla, and any other high priced stock.

You just intraday trade the options with the volatility and make a killing if you know what you are doing.

It is part of the reason they do not split.

Dynamic hedging with a view on IV?

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

nebby posted:

It's pretty terrible we can't see TWTR's financial statements. I am bullish on Twitter the Product but how am I supposed to get a sense of what I'm willing to pay for Twitter the Company without this info?

Unless I'm mistaken (very possible) that info will come out during the roadshow, which means by the time you can actually buy some it'll be available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

imabanana posted:

Google Plus is probably technically a better platform than Facebook, just like Bing (arguably) provides better search results than Google. Eventually the moat becomes the size of the network.

I know everyone says Facebook will get replaced, I just don't see it. Instagram was a viable competitor and look what happened.

I think Facebook will stay around if for no other reason it is the place where you play your games. Long term I see it more as a game aggregator and less a social network.

Where do people play Farmville, Angry Birds, and Candy Crush? Facebook.

nebby posted:

WIth Twitter you can unfollow anyone you want at any time and it's no big deal. In other words, you can completely alter what the service does for you over time as your interests change. With Facebook, your network is completely different. Un-friending people is a social faux-pas and in general you are going to be stuck connected to a bunch of idiots you don't care about. Facebook has incredible staying power but this is a double-edge sword: the very thing that provides their moat also limits the possibilities of their platform.

I love the fact that Twitter allows me to control my content. I have three accounts for various purposes and I will actively unfollow someone that clogs up my account with retweets and does not add anything socially.

Facebook, on the other hand, tells me what I should be seeing which turns it into a huge ad. There have been many occasions where something important happens with a friend and it hits my feed two days later. At that point, you socially look like an outcast for the late comment.

evilwaldo fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 14, 2013