Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

What is the difference between roasting and baking a potato?

I think roasting should be done closer to the flame so it gets more coloring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

I think roasting should be done closer to the flame so it gets more coloring?

Yeah. Hotter temperature and you get more Maillard reaction going.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I see, thanks.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah it's about colouring IMHO.
Eg you can't bake many vegetables unless you cover it with foil. Without a layer of foil broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower etc for example in the oven will always be considered roasted. A dry heat directly on the flesh that makes it brown = roasted.

Unless you put a whole pumpkin in the oven, or wrap the slices, pumpkin slices with always be roasted, as the flesh gets browned to some degree. Potatoes that are sliced or peeled are usually called roasted as the flesh gets browned.
But if not peeled or cut before putting in the oven, they can be called baked or roasted, regardless if wrapped in foil.

When I said it's a 'twilight zone' for potatoes, it's because some consider potatos only 'baked' if in foil, while others say a potato is 'baked' even without foil as long as it was uncut and unpeeled. That's what I believe as the flesh of the potato is not 'roasted' or coloured, since it was already covered/wrapped by the skin, even if the skin is crispy.

Most other veg put into the oven does not have a skin over it, so it's always considered roasted unless wrapped by foil, potato is the exception if they are put in there whole and unpeeled.
That's my dumb opinion on it though, I'm sure others disagree and it's easy enough to, hell I'm trying to explain capsicums to myself as I post this...

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 14, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I have to try roasting potatoes until the skin is crispy. Sounds delicious.

I've heard that potatoes provide you with almost all nutrients you need, is that true?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Potatoes are a good filling source of carbs, plus they have vitamin c, b, potassium and mn. But sweet potato, carrot and butternut pumpkin (butternut squash in the US) are a healthier and nicer food IMO.
I just have regular potato some times to mix thing up so I don't turn orange, and if I'm sick of eggplant, zucchini etc, and if I'm avoiding pasta, rice.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 14, 2013

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

Here's one way to make beans/rice that is pretty tasty and cheap (and can be made vegan quite easily).

Ingredients that you might have already (spices, etc.) The amounts are to my memory what I used last night, but they can be adjusted to suit your taste.

Chili Powder - 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons
Paprika - 1.5 teaspoons
Cumin - half a teaspoon
Cayanne Pepper (red pepper) 1/4 teaspoon or more if you want it hot
Garlic Powder - 1.5 teaspoons
Black Pepper - 1/4 teaspoon
Oregano - 1/4 teaspoon

I also used a 1/4 teaspoon celery salt that probably didn't make much difference, but why not? If you don't use it, just use regular salt.
If you have it, I like just the tiniest pinch of cinnamon. More like a dusting.

Rice (I used brown rice)
Oil or butter

Ingredients to buy for this recipe:

One sweet onion
One red bell pepper
One large or two small zucchini squash
Two cans of dark red kidney beans
One can of rotel diced tomatoes/chilis
One can of chicken or vegetable stock, or use two bullion cubes

Method:

Start your rice. One cup rice to two cups stock, or 2 cups water and 2 bullion cubes, and a tablespoon of oil or butter

Dice up the onion, bell pepper, and zucchini and cook in 2 tablespoons oil or butter with half the spices until soft to your liking.
Add the can of tomatoes (not drained) and the two cans of beans (drained/rinsed) and the rest of your spices. Cook a little more. When rice is done, add it to the pot as well. Stir and keep warm for a while to let flavors meld.

----

This is delicious, I just made it last night. It uses a lot of spices, but I had those around already. I also already had the rice and butter, and I borrowed two chicken buillion cubes from my mom,so all I had to buy was an onion ($1 dollar), a lbs. of zucchini ($1.20 or so), a red bell pepper ($1.00), the can of rotel ($1.00), and the two cans of beans ($.69 cents each). Total cost for this yesterday was $5.58 plus tax, and I could have omitted the tomatoes without much issue, subbed a green bell if it were cheaper (red was on sale and I like them better). It makes at least 5 servings. So not much more than a dollar a meal. You could bulk it out even more by using 1.5 cups of rice and adjusting the spices to suit.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Mad_Lion posted:

Chili Powder - 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons

Of course if you don't have chili powder, no reason to go out and get some.

Just add and extra 1/2t cumin, 1/4t oregano, 2t chilli/cayenne flakes/powder, 1/4t salt and a pinch of garlic and onion powders.
But also on the gws wiki there's a recipe for homemade chili powder if you want to make it in bulk for future use. That's probably handy for a dry rub, but nearly every chili recipe adds extra spices anyway, so just as easy when making chili to just add the bit extra of the spices that chili powder normally has in it anyway and not bother buying or making chili powder.
But over all, good idea, beans and rice are cheap and tasty.

Edit: Can skip the bouillon for the rice too, it's mainly salt, doesn't flavour the rice much beyond that, Just add a pinch of salt to the rice when cooking it.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 16, 2013

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm having my gf try mussels for the first time in a couple of days. She's apprehensive because she's not into seafood much beyond fish, and I'm hoping to expand her horizons. Anyone have a good, simple recipe for them that accents their sweetness, but doesn't leave them tough and chewy?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

If you are okay with soup and using some wine, I can dig a couple recipes out for you, after work, tonight.

I tend to cook mussels either dry in a covered pan until open, or add some wine while doing so if the wine will be in a sauce, later. Parsley and milder members of the onion clan (shallotts, scallions, maybe some chive), and white beans play particularly well with mussels and I tend to leaves the dishes simple to let tje sweet, briney mussels shine through.

E: Phone posting is a pain in the rear end.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Ok so I'm a big fan of brown rice and I want to make some brown rice and beans mixes for cheap. Thing is, I've only ever bought beans in a can and have no idea how to cook or season them.

Any suggestions on what type of beans would go well with the 'crunchy' texture of brown rice, and what would be a good choice for seasoning?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Unzip and Attack posted:

Ok so I'm a big fan of brown rice and I want to make some brown rice and beans mixes for cheap. Thing is, I've only ever bought beans in a can and have no idea how to cook or season them.

Any suggestions on what type of beans would go well with the 'crunchy' texture of brown rice, and what would be a good choice for seasoning?

Make red beans and rice, freeze portions, eat for a month. I've used a lot of different recipes for it, here's a decent-looking one I just googled: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-red-beans-rice-recipes-from-the-kitchn-183859

Also, if you're planning on making a lot of beans, pressure cooking them is so much faster. I got one based on a GWS recommendation, and it has changed my bean-world.

Other bean and rice dishes that are good are mexican-style pintos, cuban black beans, and indian-style daal.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm having my gf try mussels for the first time in a couple of days. She's apprehensive because she's not into seafood much beyond fish, and I'm hoping to expand her horizons. Anyone have a good, simple recipe for them that accents their sweetness, but doesn't leave them tough and chewy?

Yeah, heat (olive) oil in a pan and stirfry a nice amount of veggies in there (onion, garlic, carrot, leek, and whatever you like beyond that). Stir some herbs in there as well, like thyme or whatever you like, and black pepper and (not too little) salt.
When they all are spreading their aroma, throw in either white wine or a good beer, and bring it to a boil.

Then your (cleaned) mussels...lid on, shake them around, and make sure they all open (and give it a little bit beyond that)...this should take minutes, by the way, do'n overcook ;-)

Eat with fries or fresh bread and (a couple of) dipping sauce(s)

My fav for mussels is: mayo and sour cream (1:1), a good amount of mustard, parsley or chives, salt and pepper, and then thinning it down a little with white wine (do not make it too thin, though)

(hiding some mussels in a dish is not the way to go imo, this way of eating mussels is a fun way of eating them, and if she doesn't like it, she doesn't like it, and you'll just have to live with that ;-) (if she does, though, your next stop is a pan full of unpeeled shrimps :-D )

paraquat fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 29, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Schmeichy posted:

Make red beans and rice, freeze portions, eat for a month. I've used a lot of different recipes for it, here's a decent-looking one I just googled: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-red-beans-rice-recipes-from-the-kitchn-183859

Also, if you're planning on making a lot of beans, pressure cooking them is so much faster. I got one based on a GWS recommendation, and it has changed my bean-world.

Other bean and rice dishes that are good are mexican-style pintos, cuban black beans, and indian-style daal.
Pressure cooking is so so sooo much better and faster.
If you don't want to make that investment, look at lentils, black eyed peas and channa dal (split black chick pea - channa dal is the name of the dish but most places sell the legume as channa dal).
Seasoning: heaps of Cuban, Mexican and Indian bases to choose from. Tomato based, or cocunut milk based, with oregano, cilantro, chilli, pepper, cumin for example. Mix to your own wants with other spices and veg, rice etc.
Pretty easy to find recipes searching the net if you know what you want by typing in cuisine and some ingredients.
But get a pressure cooker if you want chick peas, pinto, black or kidney beans for sure.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 29, 2013

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Unzip and Attack posted:

What about cannelini beans? Those medium size white beans that go in cassoulet and soup? If you soak them for 24 to 48 hours in a baking soda water, and then drain and rinse and cook in salted water, they come out incredibly creamy and soft and will have good textural contrast against the sturdiness of the brown rice. You can flavor the cooking water with pretty much anything you want; bay, thyme, olive oil, basil, all of those go very well. Love those beans.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 29, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Nicol Bolas posted:

What about cannelini beans? Those medium size white beans that go in cassoulet and soup? If you soak them for 24 to 48 hours in a baking soda water, and then drain and rinse and cook in salted water, they come out incredibly creamy and soft and will have good textural contrast against the sturdiness of the brown rice. You can flavor the water with pretty much anything you want; bay, thyme, olive oil, basil, all of those go very well. Love those beans.

They're good in soups. I use them for pasta e fagioli, aka pasta fazool. Cook them and hit half of them with a blender to thicken the soup. That's probably the best thing about them since they are so thick and fleshy, the fact you can use them as a thickener. But pretty bland tasting otherwise. I normally use black eyed peas in minestrone or veg soups instead, as they don't need thickening because they have plenty of veg.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 29, 2013

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Schmeichy posted:

That recipe is pretty complicated. I do this with just smoked sausage, red beans (other kinds work just fine as well), maybe an onion, couscous (instead of rice, because it's better in every way, gently caress rice, couscous all day every day), and Tony Chachere's seasoning.

Cook the sausage and onion in the seasoning for about 3-4 hours, mix in the beans and cook for another hour (or less with a pressure cooker), you're done. It's simple, but awesome.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I still stand by Roman, cranberry, beans for pasta e fagioli. It helps that my preferred grocery store usually stocks them, though.

E: My wife just told me that she passed on beef kidney marked down to 75¢ a pound at the store yesterday because it was big and she wasn't sure I would want it. :negative: I've been craving steak and kidney pie lately.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 29, 2013

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Husband and I don't eat meat at home. I find one the quickest, easiest and definitely cheapest things I love to make is a quick salad of chickpeas, corn and edamame. I use frozen corn and edamame, steam them in the microwave quickly, then add to a rinsed bowl of canned chick peas. Then just a dressing of oil and vinegar, then whatever spices I'm in the mood for. The bowl lasts me an entire week of something to pack for lunch that's full of protein and is super tasty. It's especially nice since you can mix it with couscous, quinoa, salad, whatever really. Very versatile and tasty.

Pizza is another thing we love too, since we can make the dough and freeze extra and it's really whatever veggies we feel like tossing on as well. Considering how cheap all the ingredients are at our Bulk Barn it's definitely something we eat on an almost weekly basis and not even ballpark close as greasy as take out.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...
A great low cost snack that I like to make is queso blanco.

Saute up some chopped onion and whatever variety of hot pepper is on sale in a medium saucepan, then add a dash of milk (cream works fine too) and a pound of store brand american cheese and stir until the cheese is melted. Serve with the "99 cents only" tortilla chips and you have a satisfying snack/light lunch to eat all week long for about $6.00.

I also make chili a lot though I change up the meat to keep it fresh.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

DrFrankenStrudel posted:

Saute up some chopped onion and whatever variety of hot pepper is on sale in a medium saucepan, then add a dash of milk (cream works fine too) and a pound of store brand american cheese and stir until the cheese is melted. Serve with the "99 cents only" tortilla chips and you have a satisfying snack/light lunch to eat all week long for about $6.00.

The gooniest cheap eats.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

DrFrankenStrudel posted:

Simply... Simply Sarah? Is that you?

I thought you had a heart attack and died in your trailer years ago. :gonk:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I read this off the back of package of my quinoa and it was suprisingly tastey.

1 cup of cooked quinoa
1 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz can of sweet corn, drained
1 diced red bell pepper

Mix that together, then mix together
3 Tbsp of lime juice
2 Tbsp of olive oil
2 tsp of cummin

fold that into the quinoa/bean/corn/pepper mix. Cheap, not bad, prevents scurvy, what more could you want?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

captkirk posted:

I read this off the back of package of my quinoa and it was suprisingly tastey.

1 cup of cooked quinoa
1 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz can of sweet corn, drained
1 diced red bell pepper

Mix that together, then mix together
3 Tbsp of lime juice
2 Tbsp of olive oil
2 tsp of cummin

fold that into the quinoa/bean/corn/pepper mix. Cheap, not bad, prevents scurvy, what more could you want?

Salt.

Dirtbag Diva
May 27, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

This recipe by Gordon Ramsay is really good and (depending on where you live) monkfish is cheap. In my area it's expensive because our area of the ocean is all crabscrabscrabs but I've heard you can get it for 1.99/lb in some areas. Considering you only need one filet, that's not too bad. I also swap out the saffron for turmeric and double cream for milk with a bit of unsalted butter melted in to cut down on the cost:

http://www.finandflounder.com/recipes/monkfish-curried-mussel-broth

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!
I'm trying to get my grocery bill down. One thing I noticed is that I spend too much money on bread. My boyfriend and I are picky eaters and health nuts, so I have to get 100% whole grain bread with no HFCS. It's good for my fiber, but I'm always stuck blowing like 4 dollars per loaf. Is there an easy way to make healthy whole grain breads?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Fame Throwa posted:

I'm trying to get my grocery bill down. One thing I noticed is that I spend too much money on bread. My boyfriend and I are picky eaters and health nuts, so I have to get 100% whole grain bread with no HFCS. It's good for my fiber, but I'm always stuck blowing like 4 dollars per loaf. Is there an easy way to make healthy whole grain breads?

Picky eater and health nut is an oxymoron. The easiest thing to do is to explore other starches that have the fibre count but don't cost so much for so few servings. Even the most basic wholemeal breads are going to need either white flour in some amount, or will substitute albino wheat (which is technically a whole grain, but is the same nutrition as white flour). There's a fair few who claim 100% whole grain who use the albino wheat.

http://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/whole-white-wheat-faq

Basically the 100% whole grain bread you're buying is all for poo poo.

If you want health, avoid packaged goods, and stick to actual whole grains. Then eat them in whole form. And then stop spending all that money on health halo bread, and just get whatever bread, and sprinkle on some wheat germ on your sandwiches and the like.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Fame Throwa posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511135 < the GWC bread thread

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Stop eating bread all together.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Fame Throwa posted:

i dunno about 100%, but the whole grain bread at costco is hfcs free and much cheaper than other brands I see at the store. Tasty too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fame Throwa posted:

I've found generic 100% whole wheat breads in groceries typically between $1-2 per loaf usually in a buy one get one free type of arrangement. Are your generics 4/per? That seems really high.

Rancid Liverwurst
Jan 26, 2009

bowmore posted:

Stop eating bread all together.

Any good low carb suggestions? Doesn't even have to be cheap. Getting tired of eating salami and cheese everyday for lunch.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Rancid Liverwurst posted:

Any good low carb suggestions? Doesn't even have to be cheap. Getting tired of eating salami and cheese everyday for lunch.

How about salad? You can still have your gluttonous additions in the forms of salami and cheese, but you can add all sorts of vegetables that are low-carb, nutritious, and full of fiber to keep you full.

Ideas:

Raw broccoli
Raw cauliflower
Radishes
Romaine lettuce
Banana peppers
Sliced mushrooms
Onions
Chick peas (medium-carb)
Cucumbers
Avocado
Olives
Bell pepper
Any sort of pepper
Carrots
Sunflower seeds
Pepitas
Almonds

Just make sure whatever dressing you use isn't full of sugar (which a lot of "light" dressings use to enhance the flavor), which will keep your carb intake as low as possible.

If you buy large quantities all at once and make one huge salad, you can divvy it up into servings for a week and the cost per serving will be pretty inexpensive.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet

Rancid Liverwurst posted:

I really like tuna mixed up with a bit of lemon juice / olive oil with celery, cucumber and cherry tomatoes. I also had a similar thing with squid rings that were on offer. Basically any seafood is low carb nirvana, and can be quite cheap depending where you live.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

The Midniter posted:

If you buy large quantities all at once and make one huge salad, you can divvy it up into servings for a week and the cost per serving will be pretty inexpensive.

I really should start doing this. I was pretty good about using the slowcooker to make stuff the day before but then time started being an issue, then effort, then the whole system has collapsed and I'm back to buying lunch.

Giant divied-up salads would solve so many issues. I need to grab a shitload of those really inexpensive disposable containers so I can't even have the lazy-rear end excuse of "too lazy to scoop out salad" and I can just grab a container and run out the door.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I thought salad and vegetables go bad pretty fast once you wash and cut them? Like in a couple of days.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I thought salad and vegetables go bad pretty fast once you wash and cut them? Like in a couple of days.

Spin the lettuce, place it in a paper towel lined box. Don't pack it too tight. Keeps mine fresh for over a week.

I keep the cut up cilantro/onion/sweet peppers in a separate small box and that keeps for 2 weeks. You just have to make sure it has plenty of breathing space.

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

I really should start doing this. I was pretty good about using the slowcooker to make stuff the day before but then time started being an issue, then effort, then the whole system has collapsed and I'm back to buying lunch.

Use the slowcooker to make stuff in large batches. Vacuum seal in lunch sized portions. Take it to work in the bag, it should defrost so you can pour it out to microwave by then. For dinner, I boil the bags to heat it up.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 13, 2013

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Rurutia posted:

Spin the lettuce, place it in a paper towel lined box. Don't pack it too tight. Keeps mine fresh for over a week.

I keep the cut up cilantro/onion/sweet peppers in a separate small box and that keeps for 2 weeks. You just have to make sure it has plenty of breathing space.

Use the slowcooker to make stuff in large batches. Vacuum seal in lunch sized portions. Take it to work in the bag, it should defrost so you can pour it out to microwave by then. For dinner, I boil the bags to heat it up.

I do this except I bought a bunch of cheap stackable tupperwares. Sunday I slow cook some big pot of meat and veg (stuff like sweet potato + kale + pork curry, or beef and cabbage etc) and parcel that out into tupperwares. I've never had anything go bad or even seem off by 6 days so that gets me through at least lunches for an entire week for <20$.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Breaky posted:

I do this except I bought a bunch of cheap stackable tupperwares. Sunday I slow cook some big pot of meat and veg (stuff like sweet potato + kale + pork curry, or beef and cabbage etc) and parcel that out into tupperwares. I've never had anything go bad or even seem off by 6 days so that gets me through at least lunches for an entire week for <20$.

I use the vacuum bags because I like to have choice/variety so I make really large batches and keep things in the freezer longer. It helps with the space as well. Right now for dinner, I have a choice between japanese curry, red thai curry, chile verde, butter chicken, ragu and beef stew. But yeah, if you're just looking for the week, stackable tupperware would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Rurutia posted:

I use the vacuum bags because I like to have choice/variety so I make really large batches and keep things in the freezer longer. It helps with the space as well. Right now for dinner, I have a choice between japanese curry, red thai curry, chile verde, butter chicken, ragu and beef stew. But yeah, if you're just looking for the week, stackable tupperware would work.

I see what you mean. I just do something different every Sunday and deal with having the same lunch every day for a week. It does sometimes get old.